Gov. Rick Perry Indicted On Felony Charges

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Gov. Rick Perry indicted on felony charges
Gov. Rick Perry indicted on felony charges
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 ... 34 35 36
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-08-21 13:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Marriage /prison...prison/marriage only way out is suicide !
Or shooting your wife with a crossbow. Twice. In four months.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-21 13:22:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Bahamut.Kara said: »
Siren.Mosin said: »
Out in rural areas, nobody really gives a ***.

wow you couldn't be any more wrong.

it might be that way in texas, but the mid-west is wildly racist. and some parts I've been too have no intention of changing anytime soon.
All my [+] to you.

It is not they way in TX. At least on the small towns I've visited.
Yeah, because you can really understand a society pretty well in a 3 day visit, if you even stayed that long.

@ Mosin: You sure they were being racist to locals or to outsiders (you)?

Being a *** to "outsiders" is pretty shitty too. Not always necessarily a racist issue though.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-08-21 13:24:33
Link | Quote | Reply

it might be that way in texas, but the mid-west is wildly racist. and some parts I've been too have no intention of changing anytime soon.
All my [+] to you.

Yeah, because you can really understand a society pretty well in a 3 day visit, if you even stayed that long.

Does it matter who they are racist to? I mean even in your statement you're admitting they may be racist towards someone but that it might somehow be better if they are outsiders?

Yes there is a difference between being rude to outsiders and being racist.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-21 13:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »

All my [+] to you.

Does it matter who they are racist to? I mean even in your statement you're admitting they may be racist towards someone but that it might somehow be better if they are outsiders?

I think the implication was that "were they being 'racist' or 'just jerks to people not from 'round here'"?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-21 13:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »

All my [+] to you.

I've spent my entire life living in rural Pennsylvania. Trust me.

You're wrong on this one, man.
People have admitted to being racist?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-08-21 13:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

All my [+] to you.

I think the implication was that "were they being 'racist' or 'just jerks to people not from 'round here'"?
That's what I was trying to address with the latter part of my post.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-08-21 13:27:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

All my [+] to you.

are you saying in your whole life you've never seen an example of racism?
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-21 13:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah...either you edited or I missed it.

Either way, point made.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2014-08-21 13:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Somehow, it looks like Obama's become powerful enough to seduce the government into doing what he wants. Perry is his biggest obstacle to winning his third term so he has to go.

I lolled, due to the unspoken point that obv. Obama has already DESTROYED THE CONSTITUTION SO NOW ONLY 2RU PATRIOTS CAN STOP HIM
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-21 13:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

All my [+] to you.

I very rarely see or hear things that I can only quantify as racist. My grandfather used to tell racial jokes when I was a teenager, but I don't believe he did so under the belief that all black people were inferior to him because of their race. I've heard people use racial slurs in jokes but I don't believe that that makes one racist. Most people I believe (mistakenly) lump in all racial modifiers used by people into "racism". As if noticing a person's race = racism.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-08-21 13:39:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
You do realize that you pretty much proved Pleebo's point?
What, that he is a victim and should be treated as such?

You do realize he has pulled the "victim card" on my occasions on this website, right?

Is equal treatment with regards to race, religion, gender, and sexual orientation still an issue in the US? Yes.
Only in larger cities, like LA, Sacramento, New York, Chicago, pretty much every centralized liberal hub there is in the country.

Go beyond the boundaries of those cities, and you will find that people treat each other the same, regardless of color and/or sex. I wouldn't expect people who never left their city in their lives, like Pleebo, to understand that concept.

As you say, some people are finally starting to treat each other as equal individuals. The fairly important phrasing is bolded.
Again, only in cities. Out in rural areas, nobody really gives a ***. Only reason why you hear about hate crimes in rural areas is because it is a big deal, and a rare occurrence.

Cities like Chicago? Just another day.
That's somewhat like saying you have fewer crimes in rural areas. Which is both completely true, and absolutely misleading.
Lets do the math.
Google puts the population of Chicago at 2.7ish million people.
We estimate a rural town to have 1000 people.
Let's just say you have 100 "hate crimes" a day in Chicago, so you have a rate of 0.00000037 "hate crimes", per person, per day.
For that same rate, you would expect in a population of 1000 people, one every 7ish years.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-08-21 13:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yes.

Its quite popular in the right wing blogosphere to call one's self a racist because one believes in racial differences. Stuff like blacks have greater bone density, orientals have less body hair, ashkenazi Jews score better on IQ tests, & etc.

Of course that isn't the way we are using that word here.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-21 13:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

All my [+] to you.

I very rarely see or hear things that I can only quantify as racist. My grandfather used to tell racial jokes when I was a teenager, but I don't believe he did so under the belief that all black people were inferior to him because of their race. I've heard people use racial slurs in jokes but I don't believe that that makes one racist. Most people I believe (mistakenly) lump in all racial modifiers used by people into "racism". As if noticing a person's race = racism.

You can tell from a person's tone, inflection, and content of discussion whether they're being racist or whether it's simply a matter of race.

When you hear (can I use the "N-word" here in context of these discussions? I really *** hate censorship), but when you hear someone going on about "Those ***' n*****s" "those jungle bunnies" (that's a big one where I'm from, actually; they love that phrase) and proceed to cite stereotypes or other similar crap, that's racism.

No, it's not "100%" racism. There's clearly a bit of class division, "rural gentrification", and general gross misunderstandings and assumptions...but when you attribute the negativity only to "those damn negroes", versus addressing the topic at hand...that's racist. And it's near-constant in some fashion or another.

I absolutely promise you that somewhere, right now, in rural America there's a white trash druggy *** on welfare shooting up and blaming those "*** n*****s" for his or her state of being at that time. Or some woman already on welfare and food stamps popping out yet another baby while she curses them black men for not keepin' up on their child support.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-21 13:48:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Oh yes.

Its quite popular in the right wing blogosphere to call one's self a racist because one believes in racial differences. Stuff like blacks have greater bone density, orientals have less body hair, ashkenazi Jews score better on IQ tests, & etc.

Of course that isn't the way we are using that word here.

We all know orientals have small genitals, Chanti; no one cares about their body hair. And I think you're just trying to brag with that last one...I've never heard that out of a redneck's mouth...
By fonewear 2014-08-21 13:59:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I use the N word all the time... no.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-08-21 14:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

All my [+] to you.

So even you have expereinced racism then though be it in small doses over your lifetime.

I, like you, have lived a life much like that bereft of a great deal of that beyond jokes and the like. My professional career has painted a much different picture.

Cases where a manager would degrade an employee with racial slurs and then when they reported it got suspended or fired while the manager retains employment. You'd be amazed at how many claims are filed with the EEOC based on race. Granted some are sensationalized and even fabricated but many are found to be true and many are paid out on.

Whether you would like to believe it or not racism is alive and well in the US and some people like to tell themselves it isn't to make themselves feel better or shrug off their own actions. The only real difference these days is that it's no longer legal to completely discriminate against certain types of people.

Maybe after a few more generations of integration it will come to pass but I'm sure we will find something else to hate about someone else that differentiates us.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-08-21 14:04:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not limited to white trash junkies as the offenders and only blacks on the reciving end.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-21 14:06:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not limited to white trash junkies as the offenders and only blacks on the reciving end.

Oh, I agree completely. I'm just saying I know from experience that the examples I gave are happening out there right now.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-21 14:06:49
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I use the N word all the time... no.

Feminazi!

Real women say "yes, please".
[+]
By volkom 2014-08-21 14:07:22
Link | Quote | Reply

my grandfather use to tell me some racial slurred jokes when I was growing up. He worked with blacks/asians in every job he had after WWII. He had drinks and smoked with them.
these days people take offense to things way too seriously and words today are too sensationalized
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-21 14:16:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't discredit the notion that there will always be somewhat racist people and a small degree of racism. Do you really think there will ever be a time where there is ZERO personal racism among people? Do you think we're so far away from that at this point that focusing so much attention on it is productive. I mean so what if joe blow hates them n*****s? Just ignore him and go about your business.

It does run both ways, I agree with you on that and if it's bad for white people to have the wrong inflection when they talk about black people then it wrong the other way too. To treat it differently on one side of the street vs the other IS ALSO RACISM.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-21 14:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You floor me sometimes. You feel entirely justified in inferring racism in situations where you cannot otherwise entirely quantify it. You do realize that's prejudice right?
By volkom 2014-08-21 14:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

what racial slurred jokes did your grandfather use to tell?
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-21 14:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't discredit the notion that there will always be somewhat racist people and a small degree of racism. Do you really think there will ever be a time where there is ZERO personal racism among people? Do you think we're so far away from that at this point that focusing so much attention on it is productive. I mean so what if joe blow hates them n*****s? Just ignore him and go about your business.

It does run both ways, I agree with you on that and if it's bad for white people to have the wrong inflection when they talk about black people then it wrong the other way too. To treat it differently on one side of the street vs the other IS ALSO RACISM.

Yes. It is.

I don't think anyone here is on the slavery reparations bandwagon? If I'm wrong I'm sorry for not realizing it. Those folks are wrong too.

Quote:
You floor me sometimes. You feel entirely justified in inferring racism in situations where you cannot otherwise entirely quantify it. You do realize that's prejudice right?

I'm getting the feeling you've arrived at the point where you're using the time-honored debate technique of spouting faux-outrage because you're wrong and don't want to admit it.

Where am I inferring racism where it isn't? If someone says to me "Those *** negroes need to (blank) or (are causing blank)", that's racist.

It's that simple.

Though let me say, it's so very...Nausi to stick up for someone - lower class drug users whom he'd otherwise detest and spit upon - just to try to discredit racism as a thing that's still happening.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-08-21 14:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
my grandfather use to tell me some racial slurred jokes when I was growing up. He worked with blacks/asians in every job he had after WWII. He had drinks and smoked with them.
these days people take offense to things way too seriously and words today are too sensationalized
yeah because people should be happy about jokes directed at their race?

This is personal experience and all so take it with a grain of salt... I was hanging around this guy and he was telling all kinds of raunchy jokes most directed at minorities so I thought I was in a safe zone regarding jokes and I went and told one that was in reference to Jesus "Why do they ladies love Jesus?" "Because he's hung like this" (cut to you showing him hung like he's on the cross)

The guy flipped his ***and I thought he was going to come after me for a minute there... Showing the distinct lack of respect for one group but expecting it for another.

Jokes can just be jokes but do we really need to be funny by cutting someone else down?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-21 14:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I mean statistically, balding guys are more OPPRESSED than people who hold onto their hair. What's with all the balding HATE?

Patrick Stewart pulls in the love constantly with that dome.

Don't even pretend.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BaldOfAwesome
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BaldBlackLeaderGuy

Patrick Stewart
Mr. Clean
Lex Luthor
Professor X
Kojak
Ben Sisko
Walter White
Doakes
Kane (Command and Conquer)

etc. etc. etc.

What's funny is that in fiction, black guys are usually the stern, badass cops. You don't *** with one if he's bald, he's twice as powerful.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-21 14:26:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Quote:
I mean statistically, balding guys are more OPPRESSED than people who hold onto their hair. What's with all the balding HATE?

Patrick Stewart pulls in the love constantly with that dome.

Don't even pretend.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BaldOfAwesome
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BaldBlackLeaderGuy

Patrick Stewart
Mr. Clean
Lex Luthor
Professor X
Kojak
Ben Sisko
Walter White
Doakes
Kane (Command and Conquer)

etc. etc. etc.

What's funny is that in fiction, black guys are usually the stern, badass cops.

Clearly you didn't see the Lethal Weapon movies, or anything where Martin Lawrence plays a cop.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-21 14:27:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Jokes can just be jokes but do we really need to be funny by cutting someone else down?

Only if they're in on the joke. And that requires a degree of familiarity with the person. Which is where the whole "well they can say it, so I can say it" "N-word" *cringe* fallacy comes from.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-08-21 14:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Where we are right now I think we're still pretty far off from getting to a respectable place. There is still a great degree of racism outside the personal "I don't like balcks or dem japs and their squinty eyes" that affects society. There is a rift that divides that is blurred by the current need for political correctness. You can tell yourself all day long that since your not directly exposed to it that a great deal doesn't exist or that it's not really a problem at all but that's like failing to treat a wound and letting it fester til you can't do anything about it but chop off a limb.

There needs to be education on the issue and honest discussion. People need to get out and see that just because people have different color skin doesn't mean that they're not *** just like you are!

don't get me wrong though there is sensationalism and there is flat out explotation of the situation. If there wasn't a problem you wouldn't be able to accuse people of exploiting their situation for their own benefit at the expense of others.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-08-21 14:36:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, before you go on some rant where I'm making every racial minority out to be a saint and every white man out to be the devil that is just not the case.

This is me trying to shake you out of the denial you find yourself in to take a look at a real problem that does need honest discussion on all sides.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23 ... 34 35 36