Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Fallout 4
Fallout 4
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23
By Ackeron 2015-11-09 15:33:24
Link | Quote | Reply

2K games made a great choice delaying XCOM2 lol

Sadly Blizzard made a poor choice in LotV for a release date.

I made the worst choice pre-ordering LotV when I should have done Fallout 4.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-11-09 16:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright after experimenting for the better part of the last hour I've found out how to fix some stuff, most of it is the same as Skyrim/Oblivion/etc. but FO4 adds an extra layer to FOV:

FoV
1) Open up your Documents folder, go in to My Games, then open up Fallout 4. Open Fallout4.ini (the text file, if you have extensions disabled).

2) Add the following lines under [Display]:

fDefaultWorldFOV=x
fDefault1stPersonFOV=x

Where x = your desired FOV. 90 or 100 are best.

3) Open up Fallout4Prefs.ini and add the same lines as above under [Display].

4) Next, open up your Fallout 4 installation folder (Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout4) and open up the Fallout4 folder that is inside of the Fallout 4 folder. Open up Fallout4Prefs.ini (it is a separate file from the one in your Documents folder, they both need to be adjusted for this to work so bear with me) and add the same lines as above to the [Display] header.

5) Save all 3 files and close. FOV should now be set to your desired level in-game.

Mouse Acceleration
One day Bethesda will learn that nobody likes this. To turn it off, open up Fallout4.ini again and add the following line beneath the [Controls] header:

bMouseAcceleration=0

Unlock Framerate
This one should be an option in the game, but it isn't. Open Fallout4Pref.ini (the one that's in the Documents folder) and change the line that says:

iPresentInterval=1

to

iPresentInterval=0

I recommend turning on a framelimiter of 58 or 118 (depending on your monitor's refresh rate; going 2 below eliminates input lag and screen tearing issues, it will not limit your framerate to 58 or 118 but rather 60 or 120). You can do this via drivers (nVidia inspector for nvidia cards) or simply enable vsync via drivers (I hate vsync so I always go for framelimiting instead).

The reason you're turning off Bethesda's framelimiter and switching to a driverbased one is thus: some people may experience a capped framerate of 30 and others may experience a capped framerate of 60, regardless of their refresh rate. The Bethesda framelimiter is also buggy as ***. If you notice any strange physics bugs or the like, put your framelimiter at 58 and leave it there, some physics may be tied to framerate and thus anything over 60 could cause problems.
[+]
By Ackeron 2015-11-09 20:40:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Of course right before it launches Green Man Gaming has a 20% off deal!

Victory is achieved! FFXIV, SC2, and FO4!
[+]
 Asura.Ninjaface
Server: Asura
user: Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-09 20:52:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
most of it is the same as Skyrim/Oblivion/etc
why am i not surprised?
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-09 21:46:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ninjaface said: »
most of it is the same as Skyrim/Oblivion/etc
why am i not surprised?

In a way I almost prefer it to a company trying to fix something, failing, and removing your ability to bypass it.

Bethesda has a pretty successful formula.
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-09 22:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

it wasn't supposed to carry the negative connotation, but I can see how it does. I actually like messing around with ini files and tweaking my game to be exactly how I like it. Bethesda games are great for that. I'm just not surprised, is all, since they've basically had the same setup for like 10 years.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-09 23:08:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I would love if they learned to fix their memory leaks with larger save files.

Nothing like having your 30+ hour save irrevocably borked.

Also, clock hits midnight, hit "Play,"...

"Updating Fallout 4: Ready to play in approximately 55 minutes."

All I wanted to do was character creation before I went to bed to get up for work, you ***.

Edit: Seriously. It took less time to download the game than to update it. I mean, yeah, busy servers I suppose, but still.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-09 23:53:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget said: »

Yeah, you're right. 1M+ more game orders isn't really that much money. Carry on, Bethesda.

Installing it now, but I noticed this precious comment. Fallout is gonna sell at least 10 million copies, on top of COD, Halo, Battlefront, Tomb Raider, that is over 50 million games being sold in a 3 week span. But yeah, FF14 can compete.

On to character creation!
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-10 00:06:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, first restart. Terrible character choice.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-11-10 00:43:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
I would love if they learned to fix their memory leaks with larger save files.

Nothing like having your 30+ hour save irrevocably borked.

Also, clock hits midnight, hit "Play,"...

"Updating Fallout 4: Ready to play in approximately 55 minutes."

All I wanted to do was character creation before I went to bed to get up for work, you ***.

Edit: Seriously. It took less time to download the game than to update it. I mean, yeah, busy servers I suppose, but still.

well I can tell you at least one thing: saves are now categorized by character instead of being clumped into one list!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-10 08:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Ok, first restart. Terrible character choice.

I'm fairly satisfied with mine so far.

I found character creation much improved from even Skyrim let alone the horror that was your character in 3/NV. Took a little getting the hang of, but overall I felt it was a vast improvement to prior Bethesda games, though they still leave some haircuts that make you go "...who the hell would pick that?"

well I can tell you at least one thing: saves are now categorized by character instead of being clumped into one list!

It's a start. Maybe by Elder Scrolls X or Fallout: Topeka we'll have a solid save system from both a data safety and intuitive integration standpoint.
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-10 08:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

It took less time to download the game than to update it
took me about 30 minutes to realize I didn't have enough room on my SSD to unpack the game.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-10 09:13:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It took less time to download the game than to update it
took me about 30 minutes to realize I didn't have enough room on my SSD to unpack the game.

Took about ~40 minutes to download the game and, after all the fluctuation of time, only slightly less to update it at midnight.

I'm still rearing to get home and play more. I'm super-pleased with the character creation and the like; I enjoyed the initial origin/set-up story and while my gunplay has been quite limited, I enjoyed the updated iron sights/etc. as were mentioned above. Actually having your own steady hand mean a little something outside of VATS is nice rather than watching bullets spray everywhere because your numbers are low is pretty tight.

Admittedly I'm still getting a little used to camera/etc. I keep trying to hit "F" and end up pulling up that little menu instead of switching view, but I'll get used to that.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-11-10 09:15:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ha yeah, I pressed R to try and repair my gun, ended up dropping it.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-10 09:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
Ha yeah, I pressed R to try and repair my gun, ended up dropping it.

Oh balls. I haven't come across that one yet.

That is going to *** with me.

I'm a huge Borderlands fan but had been playing 2 and the Pre-sequel for so many hours that recently when I went back to play the first one I was seriously crippled. Nothing like firing up a high-level character in a den of Badasses and forgetting how to perform basic functions of the game because the updated the UI between installments.
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2015-11-10 13:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep having NPCs walk away from me while I am talking to them which cuts the dialogue :<

Hardest thing to get used to for me so far is the way you pick up items. I am used to getting a little breather by looking at a corpse or a box.

Also ran into a funny area in a factory where there was a hallway of light, looked like a fog gate in darksouls because as I walked into the light, the room loaded in. Dunno if this is a game thing or a my rig thing though.

The dog is awesome, I wish we could rename him though, I hate his name.
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-10 13:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »
Also ran into a funny area in a factory where there was a hallway of light, looked like a fog gate in darksouls because as I walked into the light, the room loaded in. Dunno if this is a game thing or a my rig thing though.
that's a known issue with the game, i believe.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-10 13:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Hardest thing to get used to for me so far is the way you pick up items. I am used to getting a little breather by looking at a corpse or a box.

I love the new system so far. I do, admittedly, find myself occasionally flubbing and trying to open a container the old way but I also like being able to tell at a glance what's inside and not having to fish through a filing cabinet just to find a clipboard and a beer bottle because someone was drinking on the job before the bombs fell.

The dog is awesome, I wish we could rename him though, I hate his name.

Yeah. I've never been a fan of "Dogmeat," but hey. A good boy is a good boy.

Picture tangentially related.

[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-10 13:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

that's a known issue with the game, i believe.

Show of hands: People surprised that big bugs are found in a Bethesda game?

It's almost part of the charm at this point.

Again, until it starts corrupting your 24hr+ saves.
[+]
 Siren.Kuz
Server: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2015-11-10 13:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. I've never been a fan of "Dogmeat," but hey. A good boy is a good boy.

Picture tangentially related.

[+]
By Grumpy Cat 2015-11-10 16:53:29
Link | Quote | Reply

OMG

I just figured out you can dress up the dog!!

SQUEEEEEEEEEEE
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-11-10 20:45:25
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

I listened to this on my way to pickup Fallout 4. It felt right.
MSPaint Winner
By Ohji Lunartail 2015-11-11 15:50:21
Link | Quote | Reply

just picked my copy up. lets see how long my customization takes lol
By Grumpy Cat 2015-11-11 15:55:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Alley got me the guide for Vet day and now I have a question that may be spoiler-y.

I have the guide but just reading the mechanics sections as I don't want to spoil things.
 Bahamut.Soraishin
Server: Bahamut
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2015-11-11 16:21:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Enjoy :)
By Grumpy Cat 2015-11-11 22:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-12 08:30:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't think this needs a spoiler, but if asked to I can. Not sure on spoiler rules, I rarely get to play/be the first to discuss games these days.

But.

So is it me or are enemies in this game just incredibly faster and, well, better at trying to kill you than in the past games? I mean, in older games increased difficulty just meant they did more damage and in turn could absorb more.

These ghouls are straight-up pumas in zombie bodies and the raiders actually use friggin' tactics and ***against you.

A yao guai lured me into thinking it was running away injured and when I pursued it turned and bear-smacked me right in the chops.

Even the *** molerats burrow in the ground and surprise you like beaver-toothed little landmines. The damn radroaches even like to play peak-a-boo.

Being constantly at risk in the wasteland and not just at key points where you fight waves of enemies is certainly upping the ante in post-nuclear-holocaust survival.

I'm finding it equal parts exhilarating and terrifying, and completely encompassing. FFXI update can wait; gotta get back to scav'ing the Commonwealth* wasteland ASAP.

*Admittedly wish they had made it set in Pennsylvania if they were going to call it the commonwealth. I know Massachusetts is also a Commonwealth, but being a PA citizen it keeps *** with me.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-11-12 08:39:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just casually roaming a house and radroaches hopped out of a bin and attacked me, wasn't expecting it!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-12 08:40:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
I was just casually roaming a house and radroaches hopped out of a bin and attacked me, wasn't expecting it!

Seriously. Roaches hiding in piles of trash.

I mean, it's totally obvious, yet completely unexpected.

Just goes to show you that Boston really is a *** deathtrap.
[+]
 Asura.Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2015-11-12 08:46:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I have the guide but just reading the mechanics sections as I don't want to spoil things.
I haven't tested it out yet, but I have the feeling it will be similar to previous entries where you can have one humanoid and one non humanoid companion. When I picked up the Mr. Handy it sent dogmeat away. So far I've not tried to recruit a humanoid follower. I'll edit this today when I try one.

Edit: the one human companion i have access to is stuck trying to give me a quest. It'll take some time to actually update this answer.

Edit: If anyone is still curious and reading this far back in the thread, I'm confirming that it is, in fact, only one companion at a time. I took the first human companion I had access to and tried it with both nonhuman companions I had access to and it forced me to dismiss either one.
First Page 2 3 ... 21 22 23