Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic
Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 20:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »
It's not about the mind whatsoever. It's about the light shown on the dress.

Simple as that. If you don't understand that human made light is yellow and gives things tints, then you're dumb. Not trying to be rude at all, it's just fact. It's true that new lights are becoming less yellow.

That's the bottom line of it.

(It does help that I've worked in lighting, professionally, though.)
They aren't dumb, they are processing what they are seeing.

Two people who know that the camera shot is bad, and know that the dress is really blue with black lace, can see two different things.

I see a gold with a very light blue, while D sees a dark lace over blue.

it is about perception. We know why the colors look like they do, our brains can take into account as to why the color looks gold/bronze and not black, but what we see doesn't change. What our brain processes doesn't change. Understanding why something is doesn't change what we perceive, ever.

It doesn't matter what it is in life. It could be a picture of a dress, it could be food, or a combination of colors next to each other creating an illusion, or anything. We can only see what we see, and if our perception changes after looking at something a second time, or a third time, etc, then that's you. Not everyone can see black/blue and then see a gold/white. Not everyone who sees gold/white can see blue/black.

I can make out a light blue, but I still see gold/bronze, and that isn't because I'm an idiot, but because that is what my mind is processing as my eyes send images to my brain.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-27 20:39:32
Link | Quote | Reply

What are you talking about, knowledge changes perception all the time.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-02-27 20:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Xenhas said: »
Now that we know the color of the dress.

What about this?

I actually saw Plurple listed as a color on one site. I immediate thought of armadaberk
By Bloodrose 2015-02-27 20:47:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
What are you talking about, knowledge changes perception all the time.
But Valli can't perceive that!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-02-27 21:14:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't heard so much commotion about a blue dress since Monica Lewinsky!
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-27 21:21:41
Link | Quote | Reply

You THINK you see the wrong colors, that means you're wrong. That means you're dumb.

Intelligence tells you that there is a tint to the color, and you ignore it.

It's the same thing as "stupid fingers". You know how to do something, but your fingers mess it up anyway. You KNOW the proper colors and you let your eyes fool you. "FOOL" you.

It's the same sleight of hand kind of thing magicians make a living doing. Your eyes are your own worst enemy.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-27 21:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

You THINK you see the wrong colors, that means you're wrong. That means you're dumb.

Intelligence tells you that there is a tint to the color, and you ignore it.

It's the same thing as "stupid fingers". You know how to do something, but your fingers mess it up anyway. You KNOW the proper colors and you let your eyes fool you. "FOOL" you.
I think you're trolling, that means I'm right.

That means you're dumb.
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-27 21:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

No ones trolling. I can't help it if you people aren't smart enough to understand day one stuff.

Your eyes, trying to compensate for poor lighting, are playing tricks on you.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-27 21:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

No ones trolling. I can't help it if you people aren't smart enough to understand day one stuff.
You're trolling, you just can't see it because your eyes are playing tricks on you.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-27 21:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, you're just going to topic ban me for being right. So.

VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 21:30:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Since I doubt most of the people who visited this topic read my whole post, I want to know.

Those of you who see only a blue dress with black lace, what color do you see when the parts are separated from each other?

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 21:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

My answers:
1) white, light-blue, gray
2) dark bronze/tan
3) dark bronze/tan over a light blue'ish purple
4) light blue'ish purple
5) light blue'ish purple with bronze/tan lace
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-27 21:31:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, your eyes are playing tricks on you, for one you aren't right, you just think you are, secondly I don't plan to topic ban anyone at the moment but that may change.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 21:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

did you just admit you see blue and gold with linking that image...?
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-27 21:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
1. White with natural light.
2. Off-white with dim light
3. White in dim light
4. Looks the same as #1 See #5

EDIT:
5. when looked at together, #4 and 5 appear the same... Odd.
By Bloodrose 2015-02-27 21:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Except you're not right. Nothing you said was even accurate, and no lighting professional worth their salt would even so much as hint at anything you did.

Lighting changes perception, angle of shadows, where the light is coming from, and so forth.

Knowledge is knowing that there is a tint, intelligence is understanding and applying that knowledge as it fits into context - something you've been continuously proven to be ignorant of.

You don't think you see the wrong colors, you perceive the colors differently than someone else does. Knowing or thinking you see the wrong colors is vastly different than the perception, but that's day one stuff as well.

So who's really surprised Valli doesn't know what intelligence is? Oh good, no one.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-02-27 21:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
I'd love to see someone explain how people could perceive this as having been in bright light from all directions. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it's apparently not how my brain works and I'm always curious to know how other people's brains do work.

It isn't about it being bright from every direction persay, it's about overexposure, white balance, color temperature; how low end camera optics and digital photography works.

As basically as possible, when a camera is facing or focusing on a large amount of light, the optical surface is obscured; i.e., the lens is partially covered and as a result "shrinks" to let in less light. This is to theoretically improve picture quality and reduce the risk of damage to the optics. Human eyes work the same way, when you're in a dark room your pupils dilate to allow in more light, when you're facing the sun when driving your pupils shrink to allow in less.

Letting in less light on a lens attached to a digital camera causes the computer attached to it to interpret the data differently. The information is displayed lighter than it should be due to the excess light from elsewhere in the photo being misconstrued, and digital filters cause whitewashing to occur as the entire picture is bastardized by false information. In the case of this picture:

The source is what appears to be a window with the sun shining directly in. Based on the way light is displayed there's probably a second window behind the camera. The camera, probably a phone, is unable to focus on the dress or remove enough light from the shot, this can be seen as optical glare all along the right side of the picture.

The computer, i.e. the phone or throwaway digital camera since nothing else would make a picture this grainy, is interpreting the light as "normal" and that has had a severe negative effect on white balance. I'm not going to explain what white balance is, you can read this article if you care enough. This is one of the primary drawbacks of digital photography when it comes to low grade equipment, you end up with horrific digital artifacting such as this. A normal, non digital camera would have issues too, but not as pronounced, the primary colors in the dress would be much more exposed. Some more advanced cameras are able to deduce what source of light is "normal" and which is not and apply the correct color temperature by itself, and most softwares, even on phones, allow you to edit the color temperature before finalizing a shot. It's likely that the person taking this picture didn't care or didn't think that the entire internet would be in an uproar about whether her dress was blue/black or whether it was gold/white. At the end of the day it doesn't really take much technical or photography knowledge to figure this all out, just need to examine the picture and have a bit of life experience with bad, overexposed digital photos where the person pointing the camera wasn't paying attention or wasn't smart enough to deduce that pointing a camera directly at the sun has bad effects.
[+]
 Valefor.Seravey
Guide Master
By Valefor.Seravey 2015-02-27 21:39:33
Link | Quote | Reply

The difference between good and bad white balance
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-27 21:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

did you just admit you see blue and gold with linking that image...?

No, it's a quote from CNN.

The black is a "gloss black" not a "flat black" you're seeing the lightbulbs reflect off the gloss of the black. "flat black" would absorb the light and stay black. The gloss reflects it and appears to be gold/bronze/copper/tan/etcetcetc.

These are things you should have learned in 2nd grade.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-02-27 21:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I can probably attribute seeing the black and blue primarily to my brain automatically noticing that the image is washed out and removing the excess white from the image.

Gold/White people probably do the opposite, or don't do it at all.

Why or why not this happens is an answer we may never know, at least not any time soon. Human brain is still a pretty unmapped place. Could be all our brains operate like digital cameras and perform their own white balancing, with some people focusing on the light from the right side of the image and making it brighter while others focus on the dress and make it darker. Human vision is all approximate to begin with. If you want to know what the world really looks like, go ask a fish. They have better optical senses than we do.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 21:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Yet the whole argument isn't about the dress, and isn't about whether the photo is a bad shot or not. This isn't about photography experience, this isn't about knowing that those aren't the true colors of the dress, and a light is just changing the color to something it isn't. This isn't about deducing that the dress is blue with black lace based on your knowledge.

THIS IS WHETHER YOU SEE GOLD, WHITE, BLUE, OR BLACK

What you see <------------------------------------------------

not what you deduce from the bad photo. What your eyes see when you look at the image.

this isn't about being right or wrong, what anyone is asking is what do you see.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-27 21:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Yet the whole argument isn't about the dress, and isn't about whether the photo is a bad shot or not. This isn't about photography experience, this isn't about knowing that those aren't the true colors of the dress, and a light is just changing the color to something it isn't. This isn't about deducing that the dress is blue with black lace based on your knowledge.

THIS IS WHETHER YOU SEE GOLD, WHITE, BLUE, OR BLACK

What you see <------------------------------------------------

not what you deduce from the bad photo. What your eyes see when you look at the image.

this isn't about being right or wrong, what anyone is asking is what do you see.
I see an angry woman with a yellow bar.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-02-27 21:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Look, you can be belligerent and rude about it all you want. Ono asked a question and I answered.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 21:50:40
Link | Quote | Reply

talking to valli
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2015-02-27 22:05:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Took me several hours but I finally tricked my brain into seeing both the shadow and the overexposure, the overexposure being what I couldn't initially see. It's still difficult for me to believe the dress is actually such a deep shade of blue.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2015-02-27 22:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Are we at NINE PAGES yet? :p

Sorry, just my two-cents: it's a crappy washed-out photo, as Prothescar noted with tonnes of oversaturation and multiple light-sources.

Does Valli et al have a point that cognitive thought (even at subconscious levels) will fill in details concerning the nature of what is perceived? I would say "yes", as that is how our minds work--based off of visual cues. I would think that if the picture were not so closely-cropped and showed more background and light-sources, that most anyone would disregard the alteration of colours based on that greater amount of evidence, but for some viewers that was not needed to make their initial conclusions.

Does Kalila have a point that the camera captured a certain RGBY/Patone-Matching-Systemâ„¢/whatever colour combination? Yes, as that is what the cheap camera with bad lighting happened to capture. So are you seeing those 'actual' colours? Yes. But is there a point to that realisation?

I have photo albums my parents took of life in the 70's LOL...all of them (even the super-sharp, well-developed ones) are all browned-out, without exception. They are like a symphony of browns and sepia...even the blues are now grey-brown. :p Does my eye see these browns? I can't help but see them LOL.

Does my rational mind even once think that even with this empirical data that the world of the 70's was ever this brown? Well there was a lot of corduroy and leather, but still...no. :p But yes, for what it's worth and what it matters, the photos are brown. But does that matter at all to anyone? :p
[+]
 Bahamut.Ascadia
Server: Bahamut
user: Ascadia
By Bahamut.Ascadia 2015-02-27 22:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm fully aware that the photo is grossly overexposed and that the dress is actually blue and black, but I absolutely cannot make myself see it in any colors other than white/pale blue and gold. It's kind of uncomfortable seeing something that you know is wrong.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 22:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Schutz said: »
Dogs only seeing black and white is a misconception. :)

[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2015-02-27 22:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I know...it was a joke. :p

NINE PAGES did not come fast enough. ^_-
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 22:29:28