Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic
Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-27 18:58:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Either way, I do appreciate you posting this, Kalila. It's been bugging me and many of my friends all day.

It does go to show that what the human eye sees and what the camera lens sees are somewhat different. I perform several times a year in a tuxedo. Mine is cheap polyester, whereas some of my fellow performers have more expensive wool coats. When we have our cast party and view the film of the show, it's very easy to tell whose tux is which material because the polyester appears to be quite distinctly red. Not fire-engine red, more of a deep port wine sort of color. And the wool is basically the black that the coats appear to be in real life.

I still can't fathom how badly one can screw up the exposure to drag an apparently black material all the way to a brownish-gold shade, though. That's some hardcore photography fail.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-27 18:58:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually people with personality disorders do change. Or more simply bipolar people. If a defect can cause it, then why shouldn't that.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-27 18:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Actually people with personality disorders do change. Or more simply bipolar people. If a defect can cause it, then why shouldn't that.
Point is I'm not Kalila.

EDIT: For those who still call me as such, I'm not Alyria or Anye either.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-27 19:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »
It's a yellow light, FFS. Have you all grown so accustomed to LED that you can't tell what color lightbulbs "used" to be.
If you're going to quote yourself pointlessly, how about you explain to the world why incandescent bulbs give off yellow light.

And then when you realize why that's a ridiculously stupid reason for them doing so, simultaneously realize why we prefer light that's closer to white.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-02-27 19:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah idk im not understanding this myself. guess some people have some very badly tuned screens or they need an eye examination. the original picture, i.e. the first one posted in the thread, very clearly looks black with blue. unless you've never handled a cellphone camera before, you'd be able to very easily recognize via the grainyness and extremely whitewashed background that the photo is washed out like crazy due to a bad camera or bad autofocus that seems to have focused on the light coming from the upper right of the photo.

when you take that into account, it's very, very evident that the dress is black and blue. the only part that could be perceived as gold is the upper throat/breast hem and none of it looks anywhere close to white.
By Bloodrose 2015-02-27 19:01:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Kojo is, and will forever be, AnnaMod, Kojo, or GirlBoy.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 19:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
yeah idk im not understanding this myself. guess some people have some very badly tuned screens or they need an eye examination.
The screen or eyes have nothing to do with it.

D and I are looking at the exact same screen, he sees a blue dress with black lace, I see a white dress with gold lace.

we both have perfect vision.

he isn't color blind, nor am I.
[+]
 Phoenix.Danii
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Danii 2015-02-27 19:03:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Kojo is, and will forever be, AnnaMod, Kojo, or GirlBoy.
I disagree.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-27 19:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

when you take that into account, it's very, very evident that the dress is black and blue.
It really isn't. Read Kalila's post until you get to the RGB values. Whatever the dress may be in real life (blue and black), the photograph has made it blue-grey and dark gold.

I've literally watched this image change colors on me by seeing a better photograph of the dress in question taken in proper lighting, but prior to that, my brain appears to see what the pixels are instead of adjusting them.
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Asura
user: tidis
By Asura.Taidis 2015-02-27 19:03:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Point is I'm not Kalila.

EDIT: For those who still call me as such, I'm not Alyria or Anye either.
You're Flionheart right?
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-27 19:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
yeah idk im not understanding this myself. guess some people have some very badly tuned screens or they need an eye examination.

D and I are looking at the exact same screen, he sees a blue dress with black lace, I see a white dress with gold lace.

Same issue with my family. My sister thought I was crazy when I told her it was blue and black.

...which it is. *smirks at Kali*
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-27 19:05:27
Link | Quote | Reply

A simple IQ test would show who sees what colors.

It's Blatantly obvious blue and black.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-27 19:06:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Either way the dress isn't made of magical chameleon skin, so there is actually someone who is right and someone who is wrong on this topic. Whether or not those in wrong are victim of an optical illusion or whatever.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 19:06:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Same issue with my family. My sister thought I was crazy when I told her it was blue and black.

...which it is. *smirks at Kali*
:(...
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-02-27 19:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
when you take that into account, it's very, very evident that the dress is black and blue.
It really isn't. Read Kalila's post until you get to the RGB values. Whatever the dress may be in real life (blue and black), the photograph has made it blue-grey and dark gold.

I've literally watched this image change colors on me by seeing a better photograph of the dress in question taken in proper lighting, but prior to that, my brain appears to see what the pixels are instead of adjusting them.

what im saying is that once you recognize that the photo is washed out/whitewashed, using the RGB of the toxic image is completely void, since the true colors are far darker than the ones in the picture. you don't have to be a photography major to figure it out either. you can't make a darker gold or a darker white when you start reintroducing color into the image.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-27 19:07:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It's blatantly blue and black.
Quote:
Blue and black.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-02-27 19:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

So you're just trolling at this point right? You can't be THIS stupid... right?

Just topic ban him Kojo
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2015-02-27 19:11:29
Link | Quote | Reply

When I look at it, particularly the heavily washed out version of the photo, it's like the over exposure is another layer on top of the actual color. I kind of wonder if the people seeing white and gold do not see layers or a veil, veneer type thing.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-27 19:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

what im saying is that once you recognize that the photo is washed out/whitewashed, using the RGB of the toxic image is completely void, since the true colors are far darker than the ones in the picture. you don't have to be a photography major to figure it out either. you can't make a darker gold or a darker white when you start reintroducing color into the image.

So.. the RGB value of the pixels on the screen, of an image on the computer that is simply data with color values, suddenly has no value because you know why the image looks the way it does.

That's all fine, but the fact remains when two people, who have no vision issues, or color blindness, are standing right next to each other, looking at the same image, they perceive the colors differently.

This isn't about why the image looks bad, or if you think the dress looks good or not, or if you think its is just a bunch of internet garbage floating around getting attention.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-02-27 19:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

A simple IQ test would also tell you, that regardless of IQ, people of the same intelligence level can perceive the same information, be it physical, visual, or otherwise, quite differently.

Considering this has been touched on in several academic papers.

Which, objectively speaking, makes it appear that you are projecting your own idea of what intellectual levels are able to perceive, even though *you* are trying to convey that only smart people see it as black and blue, and idiots perceive it as something other than what is presented.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-27 19:17:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Intelligence is actually made up of many different kind of intelligences.

You can be linguistically smart, but mathematically stupid. Or have perfect coordination but terrible rhythm.

The brain is split in many areas, in some you are strong, and thus intelligent, in some you are weak and stupid.

Perception is only one thing.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-27 19:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

once you recognize
That assumes that most people recognize the image is hugely washed out. Which most people don't.

I know folks who are really into photography who lose their ***over Instagram filters and such, but Joe Average who only knows how to use the Crop function on his digital camera is not worried about that. We've all seen photos where someone's skin becomes unusually sallow or ruddy, but it's fairly atypical to see colors shift as badly as it has in this one, so there's no good reason to assume, as Joe Average, that the photograph is non-representative.

I still see the black bits as a brown-gold color, too, which may or may not be related to the way my specific retina chooses to compensate. But I saw the pixels first, then the colors started shifting after I got neck-deep in the debate.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-27 19:21:32
Link | Quote | Reply

In this picture I can see blue with black on the left, white with gold on the right. The picture on the right, obviously, has a been altered, leading me to believe the dress is blue and black and not very pretty in those colors. Purple with black would be better.

I've also seen a version of the same dress in white with black.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-27 19:23:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Purple with black would be better.
I'm fond of cerulean, personally.

What I wouldn't want is a dress built around lots of horizontal layers like this (assuming I was the kind of person to wear a dress).
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-02-27 19:24:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
When I look at it, particularly the heavily washed out version of the photo, it's like the over exposure is another layer on top of the actual color. I kind of wonder if the people seeing white and gold do not see layers or a veil, veneer type thing.

wondering this myself
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-27 19:24:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Purple with black would be better.
I'm fond of cerulean, personally.

What I wouldn't want is a dress built around lots of horizontal layers like this (assuming I was the kind of person to wear a dress).
Crimson red with black on a woman with dark brown or black hair would look good.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-27 19:27:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Crimson red with black on a woman with dark brown or black hair would look good.
Ah, I wasn't thinking of hair color. Mine is dark blond and, now you bring it up, I guess I operate from what would suit my coloring, even when talking about opposite sex clothing. Reds look terrible on my skin, for instance.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-02-27 19:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

So.. the RGB value of the pixels on the screen, of an image on the computer that is simply data with color values, suddenly has no value because you know why the image looks the way it does.

That's all fine, but the fact remains when two people, who have no vision issues, or color blindness, are standing right next to each other, looking at the same image, they perceive the colors differently.

This isn't about why the image looks bad, or if you think the dress looks good or not, or if you think its is just a bunch of internet garbage floating around getting attention.

im not arguing the initial perception issue, rather the issue of those who vehemently declare the dress as gold/white despite there being obvious photographic evidence to the contrary
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-02-27 19:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you not read it lol
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-02-27 19:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply