Does Islam Require Forced Conversions?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Does islam require forced conversions?
Does islam require forced conversions?
First Page 2 3 ... 22 23 24 25
By Jetackuu 2014-09-24 11:30:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
My God! By islamic I wasn't inferring any religious connotation, stop fighting over everything when it's not needed. Arabic better?
To be fair Seha, that's your mistake, since Islam is a religion, not a people.

But to be even more fair: it was an overreaction by far.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-24 11:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Great Scott!
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-24 11:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

My God! By islamic I wasn't inferring any religious connotation, stop fighting over everything when it's not needed. Arabic better?

A step in the right direction. If you don't understand why it is an issue, let me just put it simply - it reinforces and perpetuates a stereotype. A false stereotype at that.

Shouldn't I expect modern Native Americans to be offended by me saying "INDIAN CRY - YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA"?

I'm not certain if they would be offended, but I have enough common sense and civility to not test the water as every time I've heard that cry it has been in media which depicts in the Native Americans in a very bad light and is most likely the same recourse people with racial prejudice against Native Americans scream at them in hostility.

EQ...
By Jetackuu 2014-09-24 11:33:19
Link | Quote | Reply

No, they shouldn't be offended at that, unless you were doing it to be offensive.

Context matters.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-24 11:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Context is key. It's also something lost in internet conversations.

A well timed joke about scimitars, camels, deserts and running into a european line of guns and tanks can be humorous but if you're that person who cant help but make a slavery joke every time you see a black person you just come off as an ***. I often refer to American slavery as the longest three-hour tour ever though that rubs some the wrong way.

If someone takes offense, apologize and be done with it.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-09-24 11:37:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I chock most of these things up to ignorance of the topic at hand with a side of stubborness...

Seha would have been better off inquiring as to why it is offensive and maybe learning a thing or two on how she might be wrong about what she is attempting to protray...

Maldini could have just explained why it would be taken as offensive in the first place and educated some people on the topic at hand...

I'm pretty sure we can all agree that offense was not intended but yeah...
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-24 11:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Maldini said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I think you're looking into it a bit much. I didn't really see the offense, it's sorta like saying a Spanish cry of jajajajajajaja but more Islamic 'n stuff.

But maybe I'm assuming Seha isn't a racist. I do tend to give people too much credit, but I have faith in this one.
jajajajajaja is laughing in spanish as far as I know lol...

It is, since many spanish accents pronounce the "J" and "ha"

She probably needs to clarify. "Ole!" is kind of a celebratory exclamation in Spanish. I hope that helps.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-09-24 11:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Context is key. It's also something lost in internet conversations.

A well timed joke about scimitars, camels, deserts and running into a european line of guns and tanks can be humorous but if you're that person who cant help but make a slavery joke every time you see a black person you just come off as an ***. I often refer to American slavery as the longest three-hour tour ever though that rubs some the wrong way.

If someone takes offense, apologize and be done with it.
makes me think of the family guy episode where he's about to tell a black joke to a group of white people and then he spends about 5 minutes looking around to make sure a black guy isn't there then as he's about to deliver the punch line a black guy pops out of the planter next to them and he can't finish it lol...
[+]
By volkom 2014-09-24 11:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

society should move on and be judge people not for the skin color you have, ethnicity you are, or religion you practice but your character as a human being
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-09-24 11:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

people could just stop being so whiny & offended all the time too. If seha hunted muslims & cut out their tongues for sport, then it's time to get offended. we're all too quick to jump down people's throats for 'saying' something. you can mock me all day long, I'll only take offense when you come & physically poop in my yard.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-24 11:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
society should move on and be judge people not for the skin color you have, ethnicity you are, or religion you practice but your character as a human being

Dr. King, you're alive! Is Tupac with you?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-24 11:43:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
I chock most of these things up to ignorance of the topic at hand with a side of stubborness...

Seha would have been better off inquiring as to why it is offensive and maybe learning a thing or two on how she might be wrong about what she is attempting to protray...

Maldini could have just explained why it would be taken as offensive in the first place and educated some people on the topic at hand...

I'm pretty sure we can all agree that offense was not intended but yeah...

Granted and noted. I suppose I jumped the gun with the "are you that racist" and retract it.

Benefit of the doubt is given. Mind you, this isn't the first time this specific person has taken an opportunity to say things that someone like me might be offended by,intentionally or not.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-24 11:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
people could just stop being so whiny & offended all the time too. If seha hunted muslims & cut out their tongues for sport, then it's time to get offended. we're all too quick to jump down people's throats for 'saying' something. you can mock me all day long, I'll only take offense when you come & physically poop in my yard.

Or when your neighbor leaves the dreaded frige bomb in the front yard for months?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-24 11:44:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »

It's all about context man and honestly in a conversation you can also read body language when someone makes a 'joke'. Something also lost on the interwebs. I like to think I can tell when someone really isn't joking but believes the ***they say then frosts it over with 'im just kidding!' It's usually the egomaniacs, hipster or bro types too.

As someone who winds up being token minority alot, you start to tell who's an ignorant *** and who's seriously just pulling your leg. If you start a conversation with an ill placed racist joke, you bet I'm marking points off and I enjoy a good stereotypical joke as much as the next dude.

Get creative ***.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-24 11:47:08
Link | Quote | Reply

this isn't the first time this specific person has taken an opportunity to say things that someone like me might be offended by,intentionally or not.
The only comment against your culture I ever made was on the women topic. And it wasn't even about the religion, but just an issue with society. There are many posters who are always jumping at islam and you think I'm the offensive one lol.
I'm one of the tamest posters in these religion debates.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-24 11:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

That would be great and I agree. But that's not going to happen when people feel like their identities or beliefs are mocked.

Also, the argument that people shouldn't get offended by what others say by Mosin really isn't valid at all. Its an absolute uniform standard expected to be observed by everyone. I don't see what the big deal is with Burning flags..it doesn't offend me in the slightest way. Even if I find it amusing to see how others react, I'm not going to burn a flag of anyone's nation, and I'm not going to encourage others to go and burn flags. Because that is the rational thing anyone who doesn't have an agenda would do.

Why rock the boat?
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-24 11:49:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Granted and noted. I suppose I jumped the gun with the "are you that racist" and retract it.

Benefit of the doubt is given. Mind you, this isn't the first time this specific person has taken an opportunity to say things that someone like me might be offended by,intentionally or not.

Don't worry about it. Everyone is offended by someone on here at some point or another about something.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-24 11:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Seha's an Islamophobe!
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-24 11:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

this isn't the first time this specific person has taken an opportunity to say things that someone like me might be offended by,intentionally or not.
The only comment against your culture I ever made was on the women topic. And it wasn't even about the religion, but just an issue with society. There are many posters who are always jumping at islam and you think I'm the offensive one lol.
I'm one of the tamest posters in these religion debates.
I actually agree with you many other things, women's treatment in the world being of them. Yet you took that as an opportunity to single out the muslim world with a very broad blanket statement that was again grouping many different ethnicity and geographical locations into one group.

If Jet had said it, I wouldn't have really cared because he's demonstrated to everyone who/what he is.

Some of your posts are well thought out and demonstrate intelligence. So when you get it wrong, I will jump in because I have some level of respect for you, as does everyone else. That is precisely why I will seek to correct you more, because your words have weight. I didn't want you perpetuating a stupid stereotype that really offends pretty much all of us Muslims.

EDIT: We speak out against things that are wrong. That isn't limited to our disgust with ISIS and Al Qaeda. There are other demons to fight as well and ignorance (im not calling you ignorant) is one of them
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-09-24 11:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Imma guess you didn't even understand what I said and leave it at that.

What I said was as offensive as saying olè to a spanish person.
You called it an islamic cry instead of arabic cry. That's what he's upset about as it can be seen as an amalgam.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-24 11:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Burning a flag is a pretty broad declaration of being in complete disagreement with the standards of a nation, regardless of patriotism.

Be it an American or a Saudi flag (which has a quran verse right in it for bonus points) you're pretty much saying '*** you and die' by doing it. Personally, I don't care if you want to burn flags, bibles, qurans or books but it is a statement.
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-24 12:00:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Burning a flag is a pretty broad declaration of being in complete disagreement with the standards of a nation, regardless of patriotism.

Be it an American or a Saudi flag (which has a quran verse right in it for bonus points) you're pretty much saying '*** you and die' by doing it. Personally, I don't care if you want to burn flags, bibles, qurans or books but it is a statement.

I just see colors printed on fabric. But as I stated, I would never participate in the practice of it as I am aware that some people get offended by it.

To further clarify, by me not getting offended by or understanding why others get offended by it, does not mean I am saying getting offended by it is wrong.

I am simply saying it doesn't offend me, I don't see how people can be turned into angry mobs over it. Am I going to tell them its wrong to get offended? hell no... there is obviously something they're seeing and feeling that I am not, some level of distress. Just because I'm unaware of it and can't relate doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-24 12:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

That would be great and I agree. But that's not going to happen when people feel like their identities or beliefs are mocked.

Also, the argument that people shouldn't get offended by what others say by Mosin really isn't valid at all. Its an absolute uniform standard expected to be observed by everyone. I don't see what the big deal is with Burning flags..it doesn't offend me in the slightest way. Even if I find it amusing to see how others react, I'm not going to burn a flag of anyone's nation, and I'm not going to encourage others to go and burn flags. Because that is the rational thing anyone who doesn't have an agenda would do.

Why rock the boat?
What Mosin said is actually extremely valid, as for burning flags: burning your flag in protest (at least in the US) is the highest form of protest.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-24 12:03:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
You called it an islamic cry instead of arabic cry. That's what he's upset about as it can be seen as an amalgam.
Yeah by islamic as I said I didn't try to imply religious connotations. Was just the first broad word that came to mind. Cause when I say arabic I think people of Saudi Arabia only.

As for the cry itself: I recently watched a reportage about Gaza(I talked about it in another thread)and the reporter was living with an islamic family from Gaza and she asked them at some point "can I hear that cry you make?" and they did while smiling and joyfully. And it was explained it's an expression of joy. So it remained within me that it's a positive thing. And that is the only reason why I used it in a facetious post, because of its positivity.

A stereotype of a muslim dressed as terrorist, now that I think to be purposedely offensive.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-24 12:09:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
What Mosin said is actually extremely valid, as for burning flags: burning your flag in protest (at least in the US) is the highest form of protest.

What, no self-immolation?
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-24 12:11:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm more offended when someone breaks a guitar than when someone burns a flag!
[+]
By volkom 2014-09-24 12:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-09-24 12:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Well technically flag burning is the proper way of disposing of one. Ceremonially of course.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-09-24 12:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Yeah by islamic as I said I didn't try to imply religious connotations. Was just the first broad word that came to mind. Cause when I say arabic I think people of Saudi Arabia only.

As for the cry itself: I recently watched a reportage about Gaza(I talked about it in another thread)and the reporter was living with an islamic family from Gaza and she asked them at some point "can I hear that cry you make?" and they did while smiling and joyfully. And it was explained it's an expression of joy. So it remained within me that it's a positive thing. And that is the only reason why I used it in a facetious post, because of its positivity.

A stereotype of a muslim dressed as terrorist, now that I think to be purposedely offensive.
Yeah, "we" know that you aren't racist and you didn't mean bad, but I think he was just referring to the amalgam itself.

Nothing too bad anyway.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-09-24 12:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

Why rock the boat?
I think it's the same in most countries as it's the avatar of your country.

We had Maghreb people burn French flags in France during protest, they could have been murdered for that, they don't realize the meaning of such thing for the average citizen.
First Page 2 3 ... 22 23 24 25