Ebola Patient Coming To U.S.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
First Page 2 3 ... 39 40 41 ... 42 43 44
By Jetackuu 2014-10-28 10:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Where'd Bacon go? he was more fun.
By volkom 2014-10-28 10:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-28 12:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
It's actually under 50%, in third world countries.
That's the average yes. Do I need to tell you how averages work with the highs and lows?

Last time I checked, out of 10k+ infected, ~4k died. So where are you pulling the 90% from? Fox news? There's no high and low for death tolls, you can't be 90% dead.

The average EVD case fatality rate is around 50%. Case fatality rates have varied from 25% to 90% in past outbreaks

WHO to the rescue. Literally in the first non news result from "ebola death rate".
By Jetackuu 2014-10-28 12:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and assert that a lot of those deaths were due to misdiagnoses, since it's symptoms resemble that of Malaria. That's even in this outbreak, which is on the severe decline.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-28 13:03:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
EDIT: In what universe does a disease that kills up to 90% of the people it infects become less dangerous than a disease that kills under .05% of the people it infects.

When the amount of people who died in the US alone in 2009 from the H1N1 strain was over twice the amount of deaths ebola has caused thus far. (about 12k US deaths for the Flu, about 5k West Africa deaths), 1 US death.

You're fear mongering, the flu is deadlier (also, more dangerous). (hint: death per rate of infection isn't the only # you have to deal with, you also have to deal with how many are infected).

Ok so you'd rather have Ebola than the flu?

Keep digging bro, you've almost hit china.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-10-28 13:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I have seen this outbreak is right in line, or even less, than the average mortality rate of 50%. So its safe to say Ebola has a 50% mortality rate in Africa. 0% for Americans so far. I expect the American percentage to stay the same.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-10-28 13:57:03
Link | Quote | Reply

EDIT: In what universe does a disease that kills up to 90% of the people it infects become less dangerous than a disease that kills under .05% of the people it infects.

When the amount of people who died in the US alone in 2009 from the H1N1 strain was over twice the amount of deaths ebola has caused thus far. (about 12k US deaths for the Flu, about 5k West Africa deaths), 1 US death.

You're fear mongering, the flu is deadlier (also, more dangerous). (hint: death per rate of infection isn't the only # you have to deal with, you also have to deal with how many are infected).

You need to learn how to read as that is not what I said.

Also you need to work on your world geography as well as viral infections and math, as you cannot dig straight down from anywhere in the contiguous United States that would hit China, you'd end up in the ocean.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-28 14:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It's actually under 50%, in third world countries.
That's the average yes. Do I need to tell you how averages work with the highs and lows?

Last time I checked, out of 10k+ infected, ~4k died. So where are you pulling the 90% from? Fox news? There's no high and low for death tolls, you can't be 90% dead.

The average EVD case fatality rate is around 50%. Case fatality rates have varied from 25% to 90% in past outbreaks

WHO to the rescue. Literally in the first non news result from "ebola death rate".

Lying with statistics 101, ebola is like similar to every other viral disease out there, every outbreak is different
which is why there are no universal flu shot. This Ebola outbreak is 40-50% death rate that's it.

H5N1, avian flu has a 100% death rate in some countries and 60% worldwide.
ftfy just on that the methods of transmission vary, but continue.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-28 16:13:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Also you need to work on your world geography as well as viral infections and math, as you cannot dig straight down from anywhere in the contiguous United States that would hit China, you'd end up in the ocean.
You obviously have a problem with understanding words. Try reading next time.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-28 16:16:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It's Jet, if he makes a mistake, it's obviously because you don't understand how to read.
[+]
By volkom 2014-10-28 16:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-10-28 16:39:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You obviously have a problem with understanding words. Try reading next time.[/quote]
quite appropriately now:

"no, you"

seriously, it's not that hard.

You seem to still be confused that a higher death rate always = more dangerous, when it's not the case when applied to the # that can get sick. Apples: oranges, you have to take into account all of the variables, but that would defeat your point and destroy any argument you have for fear mongering (which honestly is debunked on it's own anyway, since you're using bad numbers to begin with.)

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
It's Jet, if he makes a mistake, it's obviously because you don't understand how to read.

Or maybe it's because you often lack basic reading comprehension, like when you say "no" when you're just reinforcing what I had already said, it's almost as bad as when Alti posts an article with a thread title with a deduction the exact opposite of the data in the article, it's just sad at this point.

Mag needs to come in here and smack you both with books, fuuuck.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-28 17:53:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure that if several people come here and tell you that you are an idiot, you will tell them all that they all need to learn how to read, because you can't be the problem, right?
By Jetackuu 2014-10-28 18:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

No more fear mongering though? Or political nonsense for really a non-issue?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-29 08:59:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Every response I give to him from now on will include some reference to his lack of literacy.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-29 09:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

quite appropriately now:

"no, you"

You seem to still be confused that a higher death rate always = more dangerous, when it's not the case when applied to the # that can get sick. Apples: oranges, you have to take into account all of the variables, but that would defeat your point and destroy any argument you have for fear mongering (which honestly is debunked on it's own anyway, since you're using bad numbers to begin with.)

Which would you rather have Jet? Last years flu or Ebola?

That's a simple sentence. I know you can understand it if you try.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-29 09:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

quite appropriately now:

"no, you"

Which would you rather have Jet? Last years flu or Ebola?

That's a simple sentence. I know you can understand it if you try.

Flu.

What you don't want to understand is flu is affecting millions of people within 1 year, while ebola barely can hit 10k people in a third world country, with barely any sanitary measures, where people were uninformed about it or thought it was a hoax and the only reason it spread that much is because WHO decided not to send any help until it got out of hand.
Because you'd rather have the flu than Ebola you're proving my point that Ebola is more dangerous.

I don't fail to understand how the flu has killed more people than Ebola has, that doesn't make the flu more dangerous. I am in the next year personally more likely to die from Ebola than from the flu, and unless your an infant, or elderly, or have some other specific medical condition which puts you in the .05% of people that get it and die from it each year, so are you.

If we followed the standard of whatever kills the most people is the most dangerous (which is what you're preaching) then we shouldn't be concerned with the proliferation of nuclear weapons because after all, they haven't killed hardly anyone in about 70 years. Do you understand how ridiculous that sounds?

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-29 10:45:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Odds are you will more likely die from flu than from Ebola because the chances you get infected are incredibly low if you are careful.

Should we ban all poultry and quarantine anyone who ate poultry because avian flu has a higher death rate than Ebola?

I certainly have a higher chance of catching the flu than Ebola, but not catching the it and dying from it. I have no medical conditions that put me in the higher risk groups. If I personally got the flu my chance of dying from it would be microscopic. Far smaller than the .05% general number because of the specific lower risk demographic groups I am a part of.

I have a higher risk of catching Ebola and dying from that. Especially when the administration won't enforce quarantines for nurses or doctors who frequently travel to and from infected areas and handle infected patients. If that weren't enough, the administration is also planning on importing people infected with the virus into the states for treatment.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-29 11:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Good luck catching Ebola.
Good luck dying from the common flu.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-10-29 11:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Nausi, I think you should really consider a vacation. Does Liberia tickle your fancy?
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-10-29 12:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a higher risk of catching Ebola .

how many ebola doctors and nurses do you hang out with?

just go full tin foil mode like me and seal off all your windows and register vents!

outside air!? <thanks for the offer, but I will have to pass>
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-29 12:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Still waiting for this ebola thing to happen
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-10-29 12:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ebola beat up my father and raped my mother.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-29 12:24:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Good luck catching Ebola.
Good luck dying from the common flu.
People have...
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-29 12:25:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
Ebola beat up my father and raped my mother.
Well if it only beat him up at least it didn't kill him...
First Page 2 3 ... 39 40 41 ... 42 43 44