Ebola Patient Coming To U.S.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
First Page 2 3 ... 42 43 44
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-30 15:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Does her bike have ebola now?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-30 15:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Stupid would be freaking out when the basic fact is you're not contagious if asymptomatic. I dunno why this needs to be repeated every page.
is it 100% fact that the virus only spreads when you have symptoms?
How do they test for people who potentially has the virus?
You forgot this question:

If the virus can only be spread around when you have symptoms, then how did it existed in the first place, when nobody could have given it to the little boy who first contracted the disease?
 Valefor.Sapphire
By Valefor.Sapphire 2014-10-30 15:29:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
the bicycle seat might
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-30 15:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

What kind of stupid question is that?

edit: @KN
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-30 15:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Stupid would be freaking out when the basic fact is you're not contagious if asymptomatic. I dunno why this needs to be repeated every page.

If the virus can only be spread around when you have symptoms, then how did it existed in the first place, when nobody could have given it to the little boy who first contracted the disease?

[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-30 15:33:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
The only one who seems to be freaking out is the nurse.
I'd say the people demanding she be locked up in a tent or legally restrained to her home aren't thinking very rationally.
Under normal circumstances, yes.
Tests for ebola
She's been tested twice. Both negative.
By volkom 2014-10-30 15:33:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yup. that is an interesting point.

Valefor.Sapphire said: »
the bicycle seat might
By volkom 2014-10-30 15:36:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Under normal circumstances, yes.
Tests for ebola
She's been tested twice. Both negative.

so they don't test before symptoms show? So if a guy went to west africa. spent a few weeks at an aid center then came back to the US. We won't even test to make sure he doesn't have ebola until the possibility that symptoms may appear for him? Is there any preemptive screening procedures to detect if you have ebola or not?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-30 15:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Please be kidding.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-30 15:37:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It really isn't.
[+]
By volkom 2014-10-30 15:37:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It really isn't.
how so?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-30 15:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The most probable cause of the initial spread of the disease(other than Illuminati creating it ofc)is from eating infected bat meat. And inb4, eating bats is not uncommon in that region.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-10-30 15:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Please be kidding.

Er, yeah, you might need to elaborate there, King. Otherwise it looks like you're making a case for spontaneous generation.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-30 15:41:59
Link | Quote | Reply

What kind of stupid question is that?

edit: @KN

Please be kidding.
Sorry, that wasn't a serious question. I figured the context of the question was so blatantly obvious that anyone would have seen that it was made in jest.

I guess not.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-30 15:42:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, that wasn't a serious question
All is fine then. You almost gave me ebola with that question.
[+]
By volkom 2014-10-30 15:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

can't wait until someone catches the flu
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-30 15:45:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, that wasn't a serious question
All is fine then. You almost gave me ebola with that question.
That's what I do best.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-30 15:45:33
Link | Quote | Reply

so they don't test before symptoms show? So if a guy went to west africa. spent a few weeks at an aid center then came back to the US. We won't even test to make sure he doesn't have ebola until the possibility that symptoms may appear for him? Is there any preemptive screening procedures to detect if you have ebola or not?
That was pretty much the nurse's situation and she's been tested at least two times while not showing symptoms. I'm not sure if it was required of her or how sensitive the tests are before showing symptoms. That's why any sign of fever gets reported immediately, like the guy in New York did. It's the first sign of a possible infection, but even then, risks of transmission are really quite low because the virus is not yet at the point where it's leaking out of the body. The most acute risk comes when the patient is shitting, vomiting, and spitting everywhere, which is why the highest risks are associated with healthcare workers. There's also large risks associated with handling an ebola infected dead body, and it's one of the reasons for the large spread outbreak in Africa. They're not handling their dead properly.
[+]
By volkom 2014-10-30 15:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

That was pretty much the nurse's situation and she's been tested at least two times while not showing symptoms. I'm not sure if it was required of her or how sensitive the tests are before showing symptoms. That's why any sign of fever gets reported immediately, like the guy in New York did. It's the first sign of a possible infection, but even then, risks of transmission are really quite low because the virus is not yet at the point where it's leaking out of the body. The most acute risk comes when the patient is shitting, vomiting, and spitting everywhere, which is why the highest risks are associated with healthcare workers. There's also large risks associated with handling an ebola infected dead body, and it's one of the reasons for the large spread outbreak in Africa. They're not handling their dead properly.

Right. I know some communities are burning bodies while others, people are bribing aid workers for the bodies so they can give them a burial.
The problem I have is that there seems to be little information/news on any testing on people who come from that region before they display symptoms. Why not just do multiple tests and keep the individual quarantined for 2 days. And if tests are negative send them out but inform them they need to check in with the health group if anything happens in the next 21ish days.

and for those who do have the virus in their system but haven't displayed any symptoms yet, do what's necessary to stop it
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-30 15:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say the people demanding she be locked up in a tent or legally restrained to her home aren't thinking very rationally.

Maybe not, but that doesn't mean she can just ignore state-mandated quarantine procedures because she thinks her rights are being violated. That's basically in the same ballpark as someone choosing to drive at 100mph because they disagree with the speed limit. Whether it makes sense to her is irrelevant - she could easily have followed the quarantine procedures, and then pitched a fit about it once she was out, and petitioned for change. Her actions are reckless.

What annoys me most is that if this were an immensely deadly outbreak of an airborne illness of say, biblical proportions, there would still be people like her that think their personal rights to freedom outweigh everything else.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-30 15:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Stop oppressing my virus' rights!
By volkom 2014-10-30 15:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe not, but that doesn't mean she can just ignore state-mandated quarantine procedures because she thinks her rights are being violated. That's basically in the same ballpark as someone choosing to drive at 100mph because they disagree with the speed limit. Whether it makes sense to her is irrelevant - she could easily have followed the quarantine procedures, and then pitched a fit about it once she was out, and petitioned for change. Her actions are reckless.

What annoys me most is that if this were an immensely deadly outbreak of an airborne illness of say, biblical proportions, there would still be people like her that think their personal rights to freedom outweigh everything else.

Could easily arrest her for inciting a panic. then force her into quarantine
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-30 16:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I can tell, there is no state mandate forcing her to stay home, and the CDC requires her to check in daily. The state is trying for a court order to actually keep her out of the public.

The comparison to speed limit laws doesn't fit. The forced quarantine isn't based on science at all. It, and the other similar new mandates, are based on kowtowing to public fears. We now want to lock people up based on nothing but misinformation. That is reckless.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-30 16:21:43
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I can tell, there is no state mandate forcing her to stay home, and the CDC requires her to check in daily. The state is trying for a court order to actually keep her out of the public.

The comparison to speed limit laws doesn't fit. The forced quarantine isn't based on science at all. It, and the other similar new mandates, are based on kowtowing to public fears. We now want to lock people up based on nothing but misinformation. That is reckless.
Speed limit laws aren't based by science either. (Obvious argument)

Just saying.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-10-30 16:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

PAUL, WHYYYYYY!!!!?!?!?!?!
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-30 16:28:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I imagine you could find studies linking high speeds to increased vehicle injuries. They'd probably be decades old and contradicted by anything newer, but the point is you're not going to find scientific support for locking up people who present no risk to the public.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-10-31 11:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno why this needs to be repeated every page.

we're all misfits!....

welcome to the island of misfit toys.
how would you like to be a spotted elephant?
YouTube Video Placeholder

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Kwehh
Server: Phoenix
user: Michiiru
By Phoenix.Kwehh 2014-10-31 13:35:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I support incineration on the grounds of I am a proven pyromaniac.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-10-31 18:18:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Judge rejects quarantine

Looks like common sense won out, the nurse in Maine that doesn't have Ebola doesn't have to quarantine herself.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 42 43 44