Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 506 507 508 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-22 14:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
I was never a fan of going out.

If I don't get out once a week I get cabin fever.
I've been out here more times than in the U.S.

Mostly bars and one club. It's a different atmosphere though.
By fonewear 2015-04-22 14:07:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I was never a fan of going out.

If I don't get out once a week I get cabin fever.
I've been out here more times than in the U.S.

Mostly bars and one club. It's a different atmosphere though.

Well the bar I frequent is filled with hipsters but they do have the craft beer I like. So it is worth the hipster *** !

Also the amount of yuppies is a bit disappointing. I wouldn't say it is a real bar crowd more of a dinner crowd.

I prefer dive bar people just there to drink and be crazy.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-22 14:09:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently I can swallow a whole goat too:

[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-22 14:10:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I prefer inviting people over, or going to someone's place.
By fonewear 2015-04-22 14:11:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Before some of my friends got married we did that a good bit. Parties at houses etc.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-22 14:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Before some of my friends got married we did that a good bit. Parties at houses etc.
Those were the days.

Couples living together are super weird when it comes to parties.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-04-22 14:37:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Those were the days.

Couples living together are super weird when it comes to parties.

Yep it was sad it was like I got a divorce and they got married !
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-22 14:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought it would be like a phase or something, but nope.

Went to work abroad for two years, came back and it was even worse.

At least before when they didn't want to hang out, they would say so. Afterwards it was like pulling teeth. Never a straightforward answer, always bailing out at the last minute. Funk that.
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2015-04-22 14:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
whooping crane.

booo. I new I'd get screwed with a bad spirit animal.
Quote:
You're a cuttlefish!

With the best brain-to-body ratio of all invertebrates AND the ability to camouflage your skin at will, you're the complete package!
Not the worst...

Edit: for Random P&R: any news from the investigation about FBI screwing up hair analysis?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-22 14:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Ok so not sarcasm.
...and there's the dodge.
Neither of the activities listed would be an appreciable source of carbon. You fail to understand any of this. You should have claimed sarcasm.

Wait, so co2 isn't causing the world to end? Cause you know millions of people lighting millions of candles for an hour a year for decades sounds like a substantial amount of carbon to me.
By fonewear 2015-04-22 14:45:24
Link | Quote | Reply

At least before when they didn't want to hang out, they would say so. Afterwards it was like pulling teeth. Never a straightforward answer, always bailing out at the last minute. Funk that.

The worst is once my friends got married it is all about we. We do this we do that. Well I don't care !
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-04-22 14:50:07
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-22 15:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The worst is once my friends got married it is all about we. We do this we do that. Well I don't care !
I guess it's true, couples only like to hang out with other couples and be flaky with each other.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-23 04:50:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Turning back now to Hillary news:

Quote:
Hillary Clinton's family's charities are refiling at least five annual tax returns after a Reuters review found errors in how they reported donations from governments, and said they may audit other Clinton Foundation returns in case of other errors.

The foundation and its list of donors have been under intense scrutiny in recent weeks. Republican critics say the foundation makes Clinton, who is seeking the Democratic presidential nomination in 2016, vulnerable to undue influence. Her campaign team calls these claims "absurd conspiracy theories."

The charities' errors generally take the form of under-reporting or over-reporting, by millions of dollars, donations from foreign governments, or in other instances omitting to break out government donations entirely when reporting revenue, the charities confirmed to Reuters.

The errors, which have not been previously reported, appear on the form 990s that all non-profit organizations must file annually with the Internal Revenue Service to maintain their tax-exempt status. A charity must show copies of the forms to anyone who wants to see them to understand how the charity raises and spends money.

The unsettled numbers on the tax returns are not evidence of wrongdoing but tend to undermine the 990s role as a form of public accountability, experts in charity law and transparency advocates interview told Reuters.

"If those numbers keep changing - well, actually, we spent this on this, not that on that - it really defeats the purpose," said Bill Allison, a senior fellow at the Sunlight Foundation, a government transparency advocacy group.

For three years in a row beginning in 2010, the Clinton Foundation reported to the IRS that it received zero in funds from foreign and U.S. governments, a dramatic fall-off from the tens of millions of dollars in foreign government contributions reported in preceding years.

Those entries were errors, according to the foundation: several foreign governments continued to give tens of millions of dollars toward the foundation's work on climate change and economic development through this three-year period. Those governments were identified on the foundation's annually updated donor list, along with broad indications of how much each had cumulatively given since they began donating.

FOUNDATION DEFENDS TRANSPARENCY

"We are prioritizing an external review to ensure the accuracy of the 990s from 2010, 2011 and 2012 and expect to refile when the review is completed," Craig Minassian, a foundation spokesman, said in an email.

The decision to review the returns was made last month following inquiries from Reuters, and the foundation has not ruled out extending the review to tax returns extending back 15 or so years.

Minassian declined to comment on why the foundation had not included the necessary break-down of government funding in its 990 forms. He said it was rare to find an organization as transparent as the foundation.

"No charity is required to disclose their donors," he said. "However, we voluntarily disclose our more than 300,000 donors and post our audited financial statements on our website along with the 990s for anyone to see."

Separately, the Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI), the foundation's flagship program, is refiling its form 990s for at least two years, 2012 and 2013, CHAI spokeswoman Maura Daley said, describing the incorrect government grant break-outs for those two years as typographical errors.

CHAI, which is best known for providing cheaper drugs for tens of thousands of people with HIV around the world, began filing separate tax returns in 2010, and has previously refiled at least once both its 2010 and 2011 form 990s. For both those years, CHAI said its initial filings had over-reported government grants by more than $100 million.

Some experts in charity law and taxes said it was not remarkable for a charity to refile an erroneous return once in a while, but for a large, global charity to refile three or four years in a row was highly unusual.

"I've never seen amendment activity like that," said Bruce Hopkins, a Kansas City lawyer who has specialized in charity law for more than four decades, referring to the CHAI filings.

Clinton stepped down from the foundation's board of directors this month but her husband, Bill Clinton, and their daughter, Chelsea Clinton, remain directors.

The foundation said last week after Hillary Clinton became a candidate that it would continue to accept funding from foreign governments, but only from six countries that are already supporting ongoing projects. CHAI will also continue to receive foreign government funding, again with additional restrictions.

Nick Merrill, Clinton's spokesman, has declined to answer inquiries about the foundation and CHAI.
Exclusive: Clinton charities will refile tax returns, audit for other errors
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-23 07:27:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess it's true, couples only like to hang out with other couples and be flaky with each other.

See...I guess I just don't get how normal people work.

If you're friends with someone, why wouldn't you also be friends with their wife? Why doesn't their wife like doing all the things he likes doing? Why would anyone ever marry someone who doesn't share their interests and hobbies?!
By fonewear 2015-04-23 07:28:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Cause my friend's wife doesn't have any friends (not joking) !

Her only friend is her husband...plus she is a *** !
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-23 07:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, I get that you think that, that wasn't really the question.
By fonewear 2015-04-23 07:33:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do people get married in the first place and don't say love !

I love beer but I don't want to wake up next to it every day...
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-23 07:36:02
Link | Quote | Reply

*headdesk*
By fonewear 2015-04-23 07:36:31
Link | Quote | Reply

No really not even joking why would you want to get married. Cause I'm not seeing a lot of upside to it.

I've been around married people to know that it is the death of a lot of good men !
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-23 07:46:26
Link | Quote | Reply

No really not even joking why would you want to get married. Cause I'm not seeing a lot of upside to it.

You know, I guess I can't really answer you because I don't understand a lot of marriages myself. Which is what I'm saying.

and don't say love !

Well why the *** not?

I've been around married people to know that it is the death of a lot of good men !

Again...I don't get this at all. I don't get marrying someone who isn't a friend, and thereby friends with your friends.

How can you marry or love someone you don't like, and how can you like someone that your friends who share all your interests don't?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-23 08:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Turning back now to Hillary news:

Quote:
Hillary Clinton's family's charities are refiling at least five annual tax returns after a Reuters review found errors in how they reported donations from governments, and said they may audit other Clinton Foundation returns in case of other errors.

The foundation and its list of donors have been under intense scrutiny in recent weeks. Republican critics say the foundation makes Clinton, who is seeking the Democratic presidential nomination in 2016, vulnerable to undue influence. Her campaign team calls these claims "absurd conspiracy theories."

The charities' errors generally take the form of under-reporting or over-reporting, by millions of dollars, donations from foreign governments, or in other instances omitting to break out government donations entirely when reporting revenue, the charities confirmed to Reuters.

The errors, which have not been previously reported, appear on the form 990s that all non-profit organizations must file annually with the Internal Revenue Service to maintain their tax-exempt status. A charity must show copies of the forms to anyone who wants to see them to understand how the charity raises and spends money.

The unsettled numbers on the tax returns are not evidence of wrongdoing but tend to undermine the 990s role as a form of public accountability, experts in charity law and transparency advocates interview told Reuters.

"If those numbers keep changing - well, actually, we spent this on this, not that on that - it really defeats the purpose," said Bill Allison, a senior fellow at the Sunlight Foundation, a government transparency advocacy group.

For three years in a row beginning in 2010, the Clinton Foundation reported to the IRS that it received zero in funds from foreign and U.S. governments, a dramatic fall-off from the tens of millions of dollars in foreign government contributions reported in preceding years.

Those entries were errors, according to the foundation: several foreign governments continued to give tens of millions of dollars toward the foundation's work on climate change and economic development through this three-year period. Those governments were identified on the foundation's annually updated donor list, along with broad indications of how much each had cumulatively given since they began donating.

FOUNDATION DEFENDS TRANSPARENCY

"We are prioritizing an external review to ensure the accuracy of the 990s from 2010, 2011 and 2012 and expect to refile when the review is completed," Craig Minassian, a foundation spokesman, said in an email.

The decision to review the returns was made last month following inquiries from Reuters, and the foundation has not ruled out extending the review to tax returns extending back 15 or so years.

Minassian declined to comment on why the foundation had not included the necessary break-down of government funding in its 990 forms. He said it was rare to find an organization as transparent as the foundation.

"No charity is required to disclose their donors," he said. "However, we voluntarily disclose our more than 300,000 donors and post our audited financial statements on our website along with the 990s for anyone to see."

Separately, the Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI), the foundation's flagship program, is refiling its form 990s for at least two years, 2012 and 2013, CHAI spokeswoman Maura Daley said, describing the incorrect government grant break-outs for those two years as typographical errors.

CHAI, which is best known for providing cheaper drugs for tens of thousands of people with HIV around the world, began filing separate tax returns in 2010, and has previously refiled at least once both its 2010 and 2011 form 990s. For both those years, CHAI said its initial filings had over-reported government grants by more than $100 million.

Some experts in charity law and taxes said it was not remarkable for a charity to refile an erroneous return once in a while, but for a large, global charity to refile three or four years in a row was highly unusual.

"I've never seen amendment activity like that," said Bruce Hopkins, a Kansas City lawyer who has specialized in charity law for more than four decades, referring to the CHAI filings.

Clinton stepped down from the foundation's board of directors this month but her husband, Bill Clinton, and their daughter, Chelsea Clinton, remain directors.

The foundation said last week after Hillary Clinton became a candidate that it would continue to accept funding from foreign governments, but only from six countries that are already supporting ongoing projects. CHAI will also continue to receive foreign government funding, again with additional restrictions.

Nick Merrill, Clinton's spokesman, has declined to answer inquiries about the foundation and CHAI.
Exclusive: Clinton charities will refile tax returns, audit for other errors

The Clinton's have made their living selling their political influence.

Disgusting.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-23 08:42:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Disgusting.

This makes them unique among -- or even in the minority of -- politicians how, exactly?

I'm not saying "everyone's doing it, so it's okay". I'm just saying don't turn a blind eye to everyone else just to fit one narrative. :p
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-04-23 08:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »

See...I guess I just don't get how normal people work.

If you're friends with someone, why wouldn't you also be friends with their wife? Why doesn't their wife like doing all the things he likes doing? Why would anyone ever marry someone who doesn't share their interests and hobbies?!
People do it all the time. The odd ball couple is usually the one in which they share the same interests and both of them will hang out with single friends.

A good friend of mine from college, got along fine with his girlfriend until they got engaged. Then one day soon after that I noticed she was acting strange towards me. I didn't think anything of it, cause maybe she was having a bad day or something. Soon after the signs were very clear, she didn't want him hanging out friends she didn't approve of. I was baffled, since before we got along fine, she would even ask me privately things that he would like as a present for his birthday one time.

She basically turn a lot of his friends against him and well now they live alone, no idea if they're married or not yet. But all he does is complain that no one will do anything with him.

I was honest and said, and he said I was overreacting. But I had to be careful in my wording not to directly place blame on her. So I couldn't come out and said she was manipulating his life. But that was the general consensus when I asked others who knew him about it.

There was another friend who is married. I got him to hang out with me once. After that every time we planned something, he would also bail. Finally I just said let me know when you're free then, never heard anything back to that. 6 months later his wife got pregnant. I drove down to visit him knowing that was definitely the last time we'd hang out.

I never seen women get brainwashed by their lover, only the men. Hence the bias.

There's more stories from maybe a year or two out of college. But it's roughly the same story. Manipulation by the woman of the man to distance himself from most of his friends, if not all of them. Hell one even moved down to Tennessee and only talked to one other person we knew. The last conversation was him calling my friend worthless because... that what his wife wants. For him to have no friends from his past.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-23 08:48:51
Link | Quote | Reply

See, that's just never really played out among our friends.

Could have to do with the fact, however, that a lot of us are married to the same people we were with in college. And it was never about "his and her" friends; we generally brought people into the fold. Girlfriends/boyfriends that didn't mesh well generally weren't long for the relationships either.

Which, again, makes perfect sense to me. If they can't be friends with your friends, then what exactly is going on there?

Then again, that could also be indicative of it maybe "happening to the women", as you say you've never seen. As most of my friends were guys (though there were some girls who brought guys in). Then again, most of the girls normally brought a friend or two along to parties and other social gatherings so...I dunno.

We were a friendly, fun-loving bunch!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-23 08:49:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Disgusting.

This makes them unique among -- or even in the minority of -- politicians how, exactly?

I'm not saying "everyone's doing it, so it's okay". I'm just saying don't turn a blind eye to everyone else just to fit one narrative. :p

Hey point to the GOP candidates that are doing the same? Oh I forgot, they're too busy committing micro aggressions against female reporters.

I mean the clinton foundation is tied to Russian efforts to control uranium supplies.

Treason comes to mind, but that's probably wishful thinking.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-23 08:53:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Campaign fundraising is bribery

Quote:
e bribery allegations against California state Sen. Leland Yee expose the folly of the U.S. Supreme Court’s logic in its April 2 decision in McCutcheon v. FEC, which struck down restrictions on the amount of money individuals may donate to federal campaigns in an election cycle.

The only legitimate reason to set limits on funding politicians’ campaigns, according to the court’s majority opinion, authored by Chief Justice John Roberts, is explicit trades of campaign dollars for action — quid pro quo corruption. The court pointedly dismissed “the possibility that an individual who spends large sums may garner ‘influence over or access to’ elected officials” as a reason to limit campaign donations.

The way our broken political system works, though, is that the chief place to raise money for campaigns is from industries and interest groups that want something from government. Influence is purchased all the time, whether in explicit quid pro quo trades or not, and such influence peddling just as bad for democracy as bribery. The real scandal in Sacramento and Washington, D.C., is not the occasional lawbreaking; it’s what’s legal.

But I guess we're getting back to that "corporations are people" and "money is speech" stuff that you so fervently think is right, therefore to you, this doesn't meet your definition.

When, in fact, damn near every single politician we have is bought and paid for by someone, and isn't representing their constituent citizens; they're representing the moneyholder than got them into office.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-23 08:58:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I waffle a lot on getting married. It flops between getting swept up in the romanticism of it all before realizing how it pretty much puts me at a huge risk to loose half my stuff (which I've worked very hard for) and possibly placed under the shackles of alimony. I work next to someone who just finished paying off his 10 or 15 year alimony sentence. When he did, it basically doubled his monthly cash flow.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-23 09:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Campaign fundraising is bribery

Quote:
e bribery allegations against California state Sen. Leland Yee expose the folly of the U.S. Supreme Court’s logic in its April 2 decision in McCutcheon v. FEC, which struck down restrictions on the amount of money individuals may donate to federal campaigns in an election cycle.

The only legitimate reason to set limits on funding politicians’ campaigns, according to the court’s majority opinion, authored by Chief Justice John Roberts, is explicit trades of campaign dollars for action — quid pro quo corruption. The court pointedly dismissed “the possibility that an individual who spends large sums may garner ‘influence over or access to’ elected officials” as a reason to limit campaign donations.

The way our broken political system works, though, is that the chief place to raise money for campaigns is from industries and interest groups that want something from government. Influence is purchased all the time, whether in explicit quid pro quo trades or not, and such influence peddling just as bad for democracy as bribery. The real scandal in Sacramento and Washington, D.C., is not the occasional lawbreaking; it’s what’s legal.

But I guess we're getting back to that "corporations are people" and "money is speech" stuff that you so fervently think is right, therefore to you, this doesn't meet your definition.

When, in fact, damn near every single politician we have is bought and paid for by someone, and isn't representing their constituent citizens; they're representing the moneyholder than got them into office.

Ok, what part of "selling influence to the Russians" isn't triggering something?
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-23 09:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, what part of "selling influence to the Russians" isn't triggering something?

What part of "'billionaire's personal interests' and 'Russian interests' are equally damaging to me" don't you get? I (dis)trust them both equally.

At the absolute best, I get lucky and neither has a negative impact on me.

And hey, being financially tied to other countries helps keep things civil!
First Page 2 3 ... 506 507 508 ... 1375 1376 1377