Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 507 508 509 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-23 09:05:18
Link | Quote | Reply

What part of "Treating an opinion piece on a slightly biased newspaper as fact" part do you not get?
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-23 09:11:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
What part of "Treating an opinion piece on a slightly biased newspaper as fact" part do you not get?

?

It's just one article describing what happens. This is our political system. Corporations and lobbies represented. Individual citizens, not so much.

And the response you guys seem to think is appropriate it "well get the money and get represented or you don't deserve representation anyhow".
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-23 09:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

There's nothing factually inaccurate in my piece. This laundry is dirty, and it stinks.

EDIT: Oh you meant ramy... Damnit KN, this is why we have the quote button!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-23 09:16:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Ok, what part of "selling influence to the Russians" isn't triggering something?

What part of "'billionaire's personal interests' and 'Russian interests' are equally damaging to me" don't you get? I (dis)trust them both equally.

At the absolute best, I get lucky and neither has a negative impact on me.

And hey, being financially tied to other countries helps keep things civil!

You think there's as much to fear from American corporations than foreign governments?

I really struggle to understand why. Corporations just want you to buy their stuff. Governments have killed hundreds of millions of people in the name of ideology.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-23 09:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

And the response you guys seem to think is appropriate it "well get the money and get represented or you don't deserve representation anyhow".
Putting words in my mouth. Why am I not surprised?

But seriously though, these laws being passed are less geared towards specific corporations and more towards the general public. Except when it comes to regulatory law, then it's geared towards specific corporations.

Am I saying that there are no laws or acts passed that a lobby did not have a say in? Absolutely not. But are all of these lobby efforts not for the greater good of society? No.

Case in point: AICPA just lobbied Congress this past week to change the new Repairs and Maintenance regulations set by IRS on the de minimus rules from $500 to $2,500. Tell me how that is not for the greater good of society. Also, tell me how this only benefits large corporations (who's regulations already are set at a $5,000 de minimus limit for externally audited financial statements) while you are at it.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-23 09:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I really struggle to understand why. Corporations just want you to buy their stuff. Governments have killed hundreds of millions of people in the name of ideology.

Yeah, including ours. And corporations control ours. Or do you forget about the time(s) we've sent soldiers to kill and be killed over oil alone, let alone other reasons?

Look, the Clintons suck. If they both got struck by a bus right now, I wouldn't mourn much at all beyond the normal slight pang of remorse upon hearing of anyone's death that you don't know personally. Probably even less than that, frankly, given their history of things like this.

But the other side of the coin is that this just proves how closely government and businesses are intertwined and it needs to stop.

In effect, the "two" entities here are really one.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-23 09:23:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, including ours. And corporations control ours. Or do you forget about the time(s) we've sent soldiers to kill and be killed over oil alone, let alone other reasons?

Look, the Clintons suck. If they both got struck by a bus right now, I wouldn't mourn much at all beyond the normal slight pang of remorse upon hearing of anyone's death that you don't know personally. Probably even less than that, frankly, given their history of things like this.

But the other side of the coin is that this just proves how closely government and businesses are intertwined and it needs to stop.

In effect, the "two" entities here are really one.

When did we fight a war for oil?

Here you are complaining about corporatism in politics and Clinton is the *** poster child.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-23 09:24:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Or do you forget about the time(s) we've sent soldiers to kill and be killed over oil alone, let alone other reasons?
You know, for us liberating Iraq, we certainly did not get any oil from it, did we?

Or are you going to say that fracking is a direct result from all the oil we "conquered" from the Middle East?
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-23 09:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, well, you two go ahead and state that I'm wrong and claim victory if you want. I don't have the time or energy to go into this in depth today. Especially given that I'm near positive it's all played out on this forum before.

Congratulations on your impressive win!

Quote:
Here you are complaining about corporatism in politics and Clinton is the *** poster child.

Though how many times do I have to denounce the Clintons before you accept that I'm not trying to defend them?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-23 09:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, what part of "selling influence to the Russians" isn't triggering something?

What part of "'billionaire's personal interests' and 'Russian interests' are equally damaging to me" don't you get? I (dis)trust them both equally.

You think there's as much to fear from American corporations than foreign governments?

And corporations haven't killed in the name of profit? The difference is you *in theory* have a say in what your government does via elections. You have jack ***say in a corporation unless its public and you own *enough* stock in it.

In both cases the govt/corporation can/have told their constituents to suck it, running rampant in the process.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-04-23 10:02:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
And corporations haven't killed in the name of profit?

"sometimes we get a little lazy"

Oh.....wait if you meant directly and on purpose and then there is that whole Blackwater...thing... we could talk about...
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-04-23 10:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Pangolin.

Quote:
The practical sort, you know just when to curl up into a ball to thwart predators.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-23 11:23:34
Link | Quote | Reply

And another P&R thread bites the dust. I'm still waiting for that reference, Charlo.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-23 11:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
And another P&R thread bites the dust. I'm still waiting for that reference, Charlo.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-23 11:50:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Who the hell renames Cid "Seifer"? Who the *** hates Cid that much?

I hope he puts a cigarette out in that person's eye.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-23 11:51:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, Evilsizer? Sounds like a contraption that Nikolce would own.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-23 11:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I can only guess it's someone named "Andrew" as it's a normal name and he gave it to the main character.

Andrew sucks!
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-23 11:58:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Report: Man-made earthquakes shake over a dozen areas in US

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- More than a dozen areas in the United States have been shaken in recent years by small earthquakes triggered by oil and gas drilling, a government report released Thursday found.

The man-made quakes jolted once stable regions in eight states, including parts of Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma and Texas, according to researchers at the U.S. Geological Survey.

Experts said the spike in seismic activity is mainly caused by the oil and gas industry injecting wastewater deep underground, which can activate dormant faults. A few instances stem from hydraulic fracturing, in which large volumes of water, sand and chemicals are pumped into rock formations to free oil or gas.

But, you know. "Drill baby, drill."
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-04-23 11:59:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Also, Evilsizer? Sounds like a contraption that Nikolce would build.

for a nominal fee of course...

<insert old timey cash register ring here>
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-04-23 13:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

And corporations haven't killed in the name of profit? The difference is you *in theory* have a say in what your government does via elections. You have jack ***say in a corporation unless its public and you own *enough* stock in it.

In both cases the govt/corporation can/have told their constituents to suck it, running rampant in the process.

This is comparing a hurricane to a rain shower and then saying "see, they both bring rain". You're like stuck on some childhood memory of any number of movies. What's your favorite capitalism gone wild kind of dystopia? Robocop? Waterworld? Or maybe something more recent like inception? Meanwhile there are countless examples of governments and their policies wringing famine, poverty, and war to millions.

You have far more power to influence corporations than you do governments. If you don't like how someone does business, don't do business with them, or better yet give that money to their competitor. Try not paying taxes, see what happens.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-04-23 13:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

More like, who the heck likes Seifer?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-04-23 13:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »

I love how Seifer and Squall leave campus to engage in an illegal duel that results in injury and they both aren't expelled immediately for it. Infact, they both get promoted.

SeeD: Where you handle your problems with gunblades.
[+]
By charlo999 2015-04-23 13:21:20
Link | Quote | Reply

And another P&R thread bites the dust. I'm still waiting for that reference, Charlo

Huh?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-23 13:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

charlo999 said: »
[
Quote:
And another P&R thread bites the dust. I'm still waiting for that reference, Charlo

Huh?
This.

Somebody is probably going to have to quote me, charlo blocked me for proving him wrong so many times.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-23 13:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

[
Quote:
Huh?
This. Somebody is probably going to have to quote me, charlo blocked me for proving him wrong so many times.

Wait a minute... Charlo might have blocked me too. Not sure.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-23 13:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
[
Quote:
Huh?
This. Somebody is probably going to have to quote me, charlo blocked me for proving him wrong so many times.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-23 13:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sometimes I wish I had a sock account for this very reason.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-04-23 14:02:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Me too.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-04-23 15:31:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, and it seems like the website is having errors with creating new accounts. It doesn't recognize the existence of capital letters in a user name and isn't sending out confirmation emails.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-04-23 15:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
I do. He was one of my favourites back then when I was little.
First Page 2 3 ... 507 508 509 ... 1375 1376 1377