Meanwhile, At The Huffington Post:

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Meanwhile, at the Huffington Post:
Meanwhile, at the Huffington Post:
First Page 2 3 ... 54 55 56 57 58
By Altimaomega 2016-01-03 12:59:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
They are technically guilty of treason.

So is Obama and his administration.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-01-03 14:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »

Not in the way that these "militiamen" are, not in the slightest.
By Altimaomega 2016-01-03 14:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly, these militiamen could be seen as justified while Obama and his administration are simply out for themselves and whoever is dumb enough to follow them.
 Phoenix.Xantavia
Server: Phoenix
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2016-01-03 15:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Examples of treason from the current administration?
By Altimaomega 2016-01-03 20:05:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Naming a few...
1. Surrendering sovereign U.S. war-making to foreign powers and international authorities by attacking Libya without consulting Congress, in violation of U.S. Constitution Article 1, Section 8 and U.S. Code Title 50, Chapter 33:1541-1548;

2. Refusing to secure our broken borders from illegal alien invasion, international criminal incursion, and terrorist cadre penetration, in violation of U.S. Constitution, Article III, Section 3 and Article IV, Section 4

3. Adhering to the enemies of the United States, giving them aid and comfort, as witnessed by consorting with, supporting and installing to powerful Federal positions persons who in writing, word and deed have called for and promoted the overthrow of America’s constitutionally guaranteed Republican form of government.

4. The Trans-Pacific Partnership gives up American sovereignty.

5. Several US Generals have been fired and/or forced to retire by this administration. Sure, maybe one or two would be considered a normal thing but the number is up past six.

6. The ACA. Why you ask? Forcing a "life tax" onto the American people is unconstitutional plain and simple.
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
Server: Sylph
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2016-01-03 20:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm afraid this is actual treason, not tin-foil hat talk radio styled conspiracy theory treason.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-01-03 20:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny how his #2-#6 didn't even happen. I saw this story and thought actual gunmen had seized a federal building of importance, turns out its just some right wing loons sitting in a forest lodge, completely unwanted by the people they are allegedly rallying for.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-01-03 20:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly, these militiamen could be seen as justified while Obama and his administration are simply out for themselves and whoever is dumb enough to follow them.
Taking up arms against your government is only justified if you win. These clowns have no hope of winning. Their only hope that the administration will be too chicken **** to arrest them for treason.

I would surround the building with triple high razor wire, cut off the water and power, and wait.

I would stop, with tanks, any other "militia men" who tried to enter, confiscate their supplies, and let them in.

Phoenix.Xantavia said: »
Examples of treason from the current administration?
Not believing in the balderdash spewed by far right wing scream radio? IDK, I can understand Alti when we talk farming and cows, but even as tolerant of right wing thought as I am this is a total WTF.
By Altimaomega 2016-01-03 21:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Not believing in the balderdash spewed by far right wing scream radio?

Sylph.Kuwoobie said: »
I'm afraid this is actual treason, not tin-foil hat talk radio styled conspiracy theory treason.

Do you guys listen to this right-wing radio stuff? I sure as hell do not and it would be nice to actually have a conversation without automatically stereotyping instead of an actual reply.

Taking up arms against your government is only justified if you win. These clowns have no hope of winning. Their only hope that the administration will be too chicken **** to arrest them for treason.
From the information I can glean out of all the misinformation the whole thing is basically about the Federal Government getting involved when it shouldn't be. Which soon or later is going to be met by people like this getting tired of getting stepped on. Ask the British.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-01-04 13:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

From the information I can glean out of all the misinformation the whole thing is basically about the Federal Government getting involved when it shouldn't be....
Right, the federal government has no busness in a federal wildlife reserve?

/rolleyes

Best article I have yet found. It leaves a few things out that I read elsewhere, if important I will add those in []s.

Quote:
Armed protesters refuse to leave federal building in Oregon
CNN

Quote:
Two days after taking over a federal building, armed protesters in Oregon are refusing to budge until they get what they want.

The problem is, they haven't specified what it would take to get them to leave.

What started Saturday as a rally supporting two local ranchers led to a broader anti-government protest and now the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge building near Burns.

"We will be here as long as it takes," protest spokesman Ammon Bundy told CNN by phone from inside the refuge.

"We have no intentions of using force upon anyone, (but) if force is used against us, we would defend ourselves."

Bundy, 40, is the son of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, who drew national attention in 2014 after staging a standoff with federal authorities.

And like his father, Bundy said he is standing up to the federal government over land rights.

"This is about taking the correct stand without harming anybody to restore the land and resources to the people so people across the country can begin thriving again," he said.

Here's what led up to the occupation and what may happen next:

It started with a march for ranchers

Protesters gathered Saturday in Burns to denounce the five-year sentencing of Dwight and Steven Hammond -- father-and-son ranchers who were convicted of arson.

The Hammonds have said they started a fire in 2001 to reduce the growth of invasive plants and to protect their property from wildfires, CNN affiliate KTVZ-TV reported, but that the fire got out of hand.

[There were two arson fires actually.]

The father and son are scheduled to turn themselves in Monday afternoon to serve their sentences.

[This is a re sentencing. their original sentence fell short of mandatory minimums. the prosecution appealed the sentence and won.]

Bundy said officials are unfairly punishing the Hammonds for refusing to sell their land. He said it's an example of the government's overreach, especially when it comes to land rights.

But according to Billy J. Williams, the acting U.S. attorney in Oregon, the Hammonds were rightfully convicted after setting fire to about 130 acres of public land in an attempt to cover up poaching.

In an opinion piece for the Burns Times Herald, Williams wrote that the five-year sentences are the minimum for the crimes the Hammonds committed.

[The statute they were convicted under uses the word terrorism. Apparently Bundy & co object to that word as well.]

Then came the occupation

After the rally supporting Hammonds, some protesters broke into the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge building.

"This refuge -- it has been destructive to the people of the county and to the people of the area," Bundy said.

He said the refuge has taken over the space of 100 ranches since the early 1900s.

"They are continuing to expand the refuge at the expense of the ranchers and miners," Bundy said.

He also said Harney County, in southeastern Oregon, went from one of the state's wealthiest counties to one of the poorest.

CNN has not independently corroborated Bundy's claims.

No employees were inside the building when protesters broke in, officials said.

Bundy said his group is armed but said he would not describe it as a militia. He declined to say how many people were with him, saying that information might jeopardize "operational security."

What the protesters want

When asked what it would take for the protesters to leave, Bundy did not offer specifics.

"The people will need to be able to use the land and resources without fear as free men and women. We know it will take some time," he said.

"I would tell any federal agent that the people are enforcing their rights and expressing their rights to restore their land and resources back to the people."

Bundy did not explicitly call on authorities to commute the prison sentences for the Hammonds. But he said their case illustrates officials' "abuse" of power.

"We are not terrorists," Bundy said. "We are concerned citizens and realize we have to act if we want to pass along anything to our children."

Opinion: Face it, Oregon building takeover is terrorism

The Hammonds keep their distance

But the Hammonds said they don't want help from Bundy's group.

"Neither Ammon Bundy nor anyone within his group/organization speak for the Hammond family," the Hammonds' attorney, W. Alan Schroeder, wrote to Harney County Sheriff David Ward.

What authorities are doing

As of early Monday morning, there was no police presence at the building. But the FBI said it is taking the lead on investigating the situation.

"The FBI is working with the Harney County Sheriff's Office, Oregon State Police and other local and state law enforcement agencies to bring a peaceful resolution to the situation at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge," the agency's Portland office said in a statement.

"Due to safety considerations for both those inside the refuge as well as the law enforcement officers involved, we will not be releasing any specifics with regards to the law enforcement response."

How the community is reacting

The protest has prompted Harney County School District 3 to call off classes for the week, Superintendent Dr. Marilyn L. McBride said.

The federal Bureau of Land Management office in Burns is also closed until further notice, the agency said.

And even though Bundy is not calling his group a militia, others in the community are.

"I don't like the militia's methods," local resident Monica McCannon told KTVZ. "They had their rally. Now it's time for them to go home. People are afraid of them."

What might happen next

Bundy's call for supporters to join him might "turn into a bad situation," said CNN law enforcement analyst Art Roderick, a retired U.S. marshal who investigated anti-government militias.

"What's going to happen hopefully (is) ... we don't go out there with a big force, because that's what they're looking for," he said. "The last thing we need is some type of confrontation."

He said that law enforcement has learned how to handle these types of situations in which a law may have been broken but there hasn't been any eruption of violence and no threats to lives yet.

The best approach now, Roderick said, is to wait the group out and try to figure out how to bring a peaceful resolution.

A 'Y'all Qaeda' threat?

Some Twitter users decried what they say is a double standard in the public's reaction to the occupation. They said gunmen who took over the federal building aren't called terrorists because they're white.

"#YallQaeda waging #YeeHawd on America and we're still calling it a 'peaceful protest,'" John Hulsey tweeted. "It's domestic terrorism and we need to shut it down."
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-01-04 13:28:06
Link | Quote | Reply

alien invasion
Took me a minute to realize you just meant immigrants; I was here wondering if I missed the extraterrestrial d-day in Texas.
By Ramyrez 2016-01-04 13:31:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you seen them whining yet because the people supporting them on Facebook haven't shown up to stand with them in their little raiding party?
 Bahamut.Omael
Server: Bahamut
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2016-01-04 13:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
alien invasion
Took me a minute to realize you just meant immigrants; I was here wondering if I missed the extraterrestrial d-day in Texas.

You did. It was called Jade Helm 15.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-04 14:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Omael said: »
alien invasion

Everyone missed it.

I'm still waiting for the FEMA camps at Walmart. Because where else could you have a makeshift prison and good deals everyday?
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2016-01-04 14:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Bahamut.Omael said: »
alien invasion

Everyone missed it.

I'm still waiting for the FEMA camps at Walmart. Because where else could you have a makeshift prison and good deals everyday?

I had family tell me they helped repel the invasion and put an end to the government's plan to conquer Texas. Yet somehow the tornadoes miss them and take most of my roof.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-01-04 14:18:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Good ole CNN..
CNN

If you actually want to have an informed conversation read the whole thing. Here is a small sample.
http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/01/03/full-story-on-whats-going-on-in-oregon-militia-take-over-malheur-national-wildlife-refuge-in-protest-to-hammond-family-persecution/#more-110497
Quote:
In 2006 a massive lightning storm started multiple fires that joined together inflaming the countryside. To prevent the fire from destroying their winter range and possibly their home, Steven Hammond (Son) started a backfire on their private property. The backfire was successful in putting out the lightning fires that had covered thousands of acres within a short period of time. The backfire saved much of the range and vegetation needed to feed the cattle through the winter. Steven’s mother, Susan Hammond said: “The backfire worked perfectly, it put out the fire, saved the range and possibly our home”.

(j1) The next day federal agents went to the Harney County Sheriff’s office and filled a police report making accusation against Dwight and Steven Hammond for starting the backfire. A few days after the backfire a Range-Con from the Burns District BLM office asked Steven if he would meet him in town (Frenchglen) for coffee. Steven accepted. When leaving he was arrested by the Harney County Sheriff Dave Glerup and BLM Ranger Orr. Sheriff Glerup then ordered him to go to the ranch and bring back his father. Both Dwight and Steven were booked and on multiple Oregon State charges. The Harney County District Attorney reviewed the accusation, evidence and charges, and determined that the accusations against Dwight & Steven Hammond did not warrant prosecution and dropped all the charges.

(k) In 2011, 5 years after the police report was taken, the U.S. Attorney Office accused Dwight and Steven Hammond of completely different charges, they accused them of being “Terrorist” under the Federal Antiterrorism Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996. This act carries a minimum sentence of five years in prison and a maximum sentence of death. Dwight & Steven’s mug shots were all over the news the next week posing them as “Arsonists”. Susan Hammond (Wife & Mother) said: “I would walk down the street or go in a store, people I had known for years would take extreme measures to avoid me”.
By Altimaomega 2016-01-04 14:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

alien invasion
Liberal bias does that.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-01-04 14:22:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude you're hopeless.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-01-04 14:26:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yeah that is a completely legitimate source, the link at the bottom under references takes you to the Bundy website. LOL.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2016-01-04 14:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Where are the FEMA camps already?! The waiting is killing me.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-04 14:29:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Oh yeah that is a completely legitimate source, the link at the bottom under references takes you to the Bundy website. LOL.
Yeah, why listen to a primary source when secondary sources are so much better (at making ***up)!
By fonewear 2016-01-04 14:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2016-01-04 14:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been saying that for years. Hell, I'm still waiting for the jackbooted thugs to take my guns and force me to convert to sharia law.
By fonewear 2016-01-04 14:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

My favorite:

Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-01-04 14:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

They're all just a bit late on schedule. Eventually they'll all happen at the same time for convenience!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-04 14:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

You expect the government to get anything right and/or on time?

Hell, there's a department for the red tape!
[+]
By fonewear 2016-01-04 14:34:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Found something scarier than fema camps:

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-04 14:36:05
Link | Quote | Reply

By Altimaomega 2016-01-04 14:38:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, why listen to a primary source when secondary sources are so much better (at making ***up)!
CNN is just as good at misinformation, you know this.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-04 14:42:03
Link | Quote | Reply

CNN is just as good at misinformation, you know this.
CNN doesn't care about the full story.

All they care about is feeding idiots only half of the truth. Because, why should anyone make their own decisions on the case when it's much better (and more profitable for the news source) to sensationalize the ***out of a story?
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 54 55 56 57 58