First Page 2 3
 Phoenix.Felonius
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: felonius
By Phoenix.Felonius 2013-04-15 09:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi,

I have a friend who primarily plays WAR. He only plays once a week for a couple hours, and maybe on occasion twice a week. Which basically means he doesn't have the time resource available to work on an Empyrean weapon (or at least it would take a year or more so what about in the mean-time) or the resources needed to get a Mythic/Relic.

So with that said, what weapon should he be using, and what WS should he merit?

I would say that any of the magian trials starting with NM camping are probably out of the question (again the time issue) but the elemental ones should be fine.

He seems to prefer using Great Axe or Dual Wielding swords.

For the nights he is on we normally do Abyssea content, and are starting to do Meeble Burrows. I don't forsee him actually getting the Seekers of Adoulin expansion any time soon.

Thanks for your advice.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-04-15 09:25:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Felonius said: »
Hi,

I have a friend who primarily plays WAR. He only plays once a week for a couple hours, and maybe on occasion twice a week. Which basically means he doesn't have the time resource available to work on an Empyrean weapon (or at least it would take a year or more so what about in the mean-time) or the resources needed to get a Mythic/Relic.

So with that said, what weapon should he be using, and what WS should he merit?

I would say that any of the magian trials starting with NM camping are probably out of the question (again the time issue) but the elemental ones should be fine.

He seems to prefer using Great Axe or Dual Wielding swords.

For the nights he is on we normally do Abyssea content, and are starting to do Meeble Burrows. I don't forsee him actually getting the Seekers of Adoulin expansion any time soon.

Thanks for your advice.

Get him to knock that off. That was BARELY ok for a short portion of time with ridill/joy and madrigals, and that was years ago.

Has he tried resolution? If he hasn't he might be happier with the results (over spamming raging rush/upheaval anyhow).
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Phyrefly
Server: Cerberus
user: Phyrefly
By Cerberus.Phyrefly 2013-04-15 10:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Upheaval can put up some pretty good numbers. I think he should get the gimpyrean GA. Those NMs don't take up that much time.
 Cerberus.Pukushu
user: pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2013-04-15 10:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

there are some new craftable weapons that are at least near if not better that lvl 90 empys, but without the ws. he should get the associated merit ws though for what ever he chooses. the weapons run a couple hundred thousand to maybe 1M on the high end which is much less than even a trial weapon.

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2013-04-15 10:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Do the Dies Irae thing inside Abyssea, but dual-wielding axes with Ruinator might not be a horrible idea outside if he can finish CoP for a gorget.
By Retsujo 2013-04-15 10:51:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Felonius said: »

If his playtime is so limited to once or twice a week, I would put NM camping right up there with element/day camping. If he only plays a couple hours out of those days, he's going to have a hell of a time keeping up with those weather effects that seem to never happen even for people who play all day every day.

The NM camping would probably not be too out of the question with those facts, and the Abyssea NMs for the Empyrean weapons pose little to no challenge these days, I say you might as well Empy it up if you're going to do trials anyway.

But the easiest and quickest solution would probably be the GAxe you can buy for 30,000 Bayld from the Peacekeeper's Coalition in Adoulin. Bayld is easy enough to accrue, and he could likely make that amount in a night.

EDIT: Noticed the lack of Seekers. Maybe a Widowmaker, or that glittery GAxe you can maybe get from Meeble.
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-04-15 10:59:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly I personally wouldn't recommend he spend the few hours he has to play the game doing something as camping NMs unless he really wants to. Dies Irae will serve him fine even outside Abyssea IMO as long as he wears appropriate accuracy gear if he ends up fighting stuff in Adoulin and whatnot (I don't have any accuracy problems with it in VW myself), and maybe pick up the Trunkcleaver if he gets enough Bayld. After all, he's probably not looking to get into Legion groups or whatnot so there's no need to be concerned about getting a "long-term weapon" or something like that if he's just looking to have fun.

Himthige could be a long-term goal since Meebles is aimed towards shorter bursts of play, but IIRC the Meeble pulses are like 2% drops so GL with that heh
[+]
By Heimdel 2013-04-15 11:07:13
Link | Quote | Reply

If he has some good friends who are interested in same weapons and is able leave computer logged on he could party up with them and they kill the nms for him at least to work on the woe weapons.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Bloodwarrior
By Phoenix.Bloodwarrior 2013-04-15 12:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont play warrior as often as id like and my warrior is far from anything great or grand, but id have to concur with some of what the folks have told you here in the thread. Id stop with the swords maybe consider axes if he has ruinator merits for another job like bst or something like that at most and even then its kinda meh. My opinion is 2 hand is the way to go. Great axe has always been solid for warrior if he doesnt have a huge play time and isnt wanting to put int he play time to camp nms for maybe a empy or woe GA id say consider talking him into going GS with resolution merits. And if hes not sure if he will like Reso before he burns tons of gil on a GS you two can always go kill Sissyphus for a Kriegs just to try it out. Time is cheap and if he likes it maybe he will consider buying a more notable GS off the AH. Just my two cents. Personally if its a job he loves to play I say talk him into going for the gold :)
[+]
 Phoenix.Felonius
user: felonius
By Phoenix.Felonius 2013-04-15 12:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks everyone for your input.

I think probably the best solution will be the Dies Irae which he can use in Abyssea and possibly use when outside Abyssea as well since we don't do much.

If he wants to work toward something it sounds like maybe the Himthige from Meebles. Meebles is something we want to start doing.

Quote:
Felonius, in all seriousness it just sounds like your "friend" is just a whining, lazy nooblet that wants everything just handed to him.
He isn't whining, lazy, or a noob. He is an IRL friend who plays once a week with my other IRL friends who use the game very much to stay in touch and hang out. He/We just wanted to find a good weapon(s) for him that were achievable in the time he has to spend in game, which is very little. Occasionally if he has any extra time (always after 10pm) he gets on and we do stuff. RL wins, this is a game, not everyone has hours per day to put into a game.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Yuriki
Server: Fenrir
user: Yuriki
By Fenrir.Yuriki 2013-04-15 12:54:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Felonius, in all seriousness it just sounds like your "friend" is just a whining, lazy nooblet that wants everything just handed to him.

Truthfully, by camping my Masamune NMs (the normal timed/lotto pop ones before VNMs and the forced pop Abyssea ones), it took me on average between two and three days, camping on and off, to complete one trial. I could knock about two or three trials off in roughly two weeks, swapping in other content such as Dynamis and Einherjar runs to break the monotony and wait for the next window for whatever NM I might've been on. When the VNM time came around, I just rounded up a group of ls mates that needed the same VNMs or the ones that popped in the same zones and spam-killed those in about two days.

He's dual wielding swords? Tell'im to stop that ***, since it's outdated unless he's playing as a DD PLD with either Excal or Almace mainhand and Joyeuse offhand for TP purposes.

Anything in FFXI worth having, will take time. If he doesn't want to put the time in to have a weapon or two that'll be worth the effort he's put in for them, then he should just stop playing since it's almost guaranteed his career in Meebles, as well as any hopes he might harbor about doing VW beyond Jeuno T-3 and possibly legion will only end up in smoke.

As an aside, he should also get off his lazy rear and get Adoulin.
Are you *** kidding me? Quit being a douche and either give good advice or gtfo.

OP, with your friends play schedule I'd just say buy the Dies Irae from the AH and be done with it. Upheaval (Great Axe WS) would be great for him to merit. If he likes to switch it up with different weapons, he has a few different options. Resolution for Great Sword is amazing and will rival Upheaval. Depending on how much gil he has available, there are a few GS available. The Hatzoaar Sword is pretty expensive (almost 4m on your server) but will be your best AH GS. The Jingang Greatsword is a great buy but it's also fairly expensive, 1.1m on your server. Etourdissante is decent and is around 500k. The Kriegsmesser is free and easy to obtain from Abyssea - Ule but is also not as good as the others I mentioned.

As some others have mentioned, dual wielding swords/axes isn't all that great for WAR, but if he wants to, then by all means go for it. Play how you like, esp. with friends. Just don't expect to get into any VW alliances w/2 swords in hand! If going this route, I'd recommend using 1h axes over swords, due to having better weapon skills. Ruinator (the merit WS for axe) is STR based, so it's easy to gear for. Requiescat is MND based, which is not very easy to gear for on WAR. The other sword WS aren't going to put out much dmg, but your best would be Vorpal Blade.

On the topic of magian weapons... as some others have mentioned, the elemental trials are not as quick and easy as they seem. Based on when he logs in and for how long, he could possibly have an empyrean at 85 before finishing an elemental trial weapon. Also, the only elemental great axe really worth getting, the fire path, requires flame geodes, which are fairly expensive. On your server you're looking at 2.2m just for the flame geodes (you need 55). Also, an 85 Ukonvasara will last him forever, especially if he's not looking to get into all of the end game content. Ukko's Fury is amazing, and is very easy to gear for. The time to effort ratio for the 85 empy would make it a good long term goal, but ONLY if he feels like dedicating time to making a weapon.

Bottom line: just buy the AH weps if he doesn't want to dedicate a good chunk of play time to making an empy. The elemental paths aren't worth it due to possibly taking longer than an empy, as well as costing more.
[+]
 Bismarck.Shyral
Server: Bismarck
user: shyral
By Bismarck.Shyral 2013-04-15 13:04:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Truthfully, by camping my Masamune NMs (the normal timed/lotto pop ones before VNMs and the forced pop Abyssea ones), it took me on average between two and three days, camping on and off, to complete one trial. I could knock about two or three trials off in roughly two weeks, swapping in other content such as Dynamis and Einherjar runs to break the monotony and wait for the next window for whatever NM I might've been on. When the VNM time came around, I just rounded up a group of ls mates that needed the same VNMs or the ones that popped in the same zones and spam-killed those in about two days.

He's dual wielding swords? Tell'im to stop that ***, since it's outdated unless he's playing as a DD PLD with either Excal or Almace mainhand and Joyeuse offhand for TP purposes.

Anything in FFXI worth having, will take time. If he doesn't want to put the time in to have a weapon or two that'll be worth the effort he's put in for them, then he should just stop playing since it's almost guaranteed his career in Meebles, as well as any hopes he might harbor about doing VW beyond Jeuno T-3 and possibly legion will only end up in smoke.

As an aside, he should also get off his lazy rear and get Adoulin.

The last time I checked, ffxi was a game and players could play it as much (or as little) as they wanted. Shame on a player for asking what is the best weapon they can obtain with the limited time they want to put into the game. I don't think your elitism and condescension have any place in this thread.
 Cerberus.Meatster
user: Meatster
By Cerberus.Meatster 2013-04-15 13:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Candles just trolling. Look at his gear on his page no way hes calling people lazy rockin that stuff.
 Lakshmi.Caraine
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Caraine 2013-04-15 13:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wanted to say and please don't take this as elitist, the nm path magians are pretty strate forward although they will take some time. Can just check the area and see if anyone is camping the mob and when window opens. If it won't open in his play time do something else. Can have his friends farm pop items for glavoid/Itzabigbug and and just pop them when he comes on. It is not the fastest way but steady progress will be made and really what more can you ask for. If he really does not want to do anything that takes that long and doesnt mind being a little lower on the dmg then most of the higher end great axes should be fine for upheaval and most any ahable GS should be good enough to keep him having fun.
[+]
 Shiva.Arana
Server: Shiva
user: Arana1
By Shiva.Arana 2013-04-15 13:15:57
Link | Quote | Reply

While real life may trump the game most times
You mean at all times right?

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-04-15 13:20:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Find a good G.axe for him and roll with it. He should have his skills up to red-proc level for Abyssea, and keep one of those weapons around for when it's needed. Stick with the G.axe. He can dual wield axes if he really wants to, but I'd advise against NIN sub anymore. If he's just dicking around, then whatever works.

Aldouin would be good for him to get, simply because a lot of simple but powerful weapons were released, and a lot of great gear that competes with pre-Aldouin end-game gear that's simple to get.
 Shiva.Arana
By Shiva.Arana 2013-04-15 13:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Shiva.Arana said: »
While real life may trump the game most times
You mean at all times right?

No? It's situational?
I honestly can't think of a time I would put the game before a real life event. Though maybe I'm in the minority.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Arana
By Shiva.Arana 2013-04-15 13:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Meatster said: »
Candles just trolling. Look at his gear on his page no way hes calling people lazy rockin that stuff.
Ever stop to think there's people out there that have historically shitty luck with lotting on drops or what comes out of VW chests? Eeyeah, didn't think so. Meanwhile Arana, have fun taking nine words completely out of context.
Whoa slow your roll there bud. I didn't attack you; I simply asked for clarification.
 Cerberus.Meatster
user: Meatster
By Cerberus.Meatster 2013-04-15 13:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ever stop to think there's people out there that have historically shitty luck with lotting on drops or what comes out of VW chests? Eeyeah, didn't think so. Meanwhile Arana, have fun taking nine words completely out of context.

Lotting has nothing to do with how awful your gear is. Stop calling people lazy when you play in gear that was bad for 2010. Oh im sorry your still waiting on mekira to drop so you can fulltime it right?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-04-15 13:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

that's all well and good but af3+2 and nyzul gear are pretty fixed results

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-04-15 13:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe you should use your time making friends

then you could get af3 without people lotting against you
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-04-15 13:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

That's why I low-manned everything. I want this, so let's go kill it, and you want that, so let's go kill that next. Worked well.
[+]
First Page 2 3