Salvage 2.0 gear
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-12-15 12:55:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
The da damage on af2+2 doesn't work with ws, so no, other that wc crit rate aug the only thing they have over other legs is the da. As for the whole diminishing returns, i think its just poorly worded. As in, adding 3% from 0 being a larger percent of increase in attacks per round than adding it to say 25% da. Its the same increase in attacks per round, but it is a smaller portion of your attack per round total.

Its still wrong, but it sorta makes sense why they say it

If it's wrong, it doesn't make sense to me.
By Otomis 2012-12-15 12:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lets see some of this 2.0 gear posted in gear sets with comparison to gear sets we already know are at the top or near top mark.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2012-12-15 13:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The only difference i see is are's legs in a high buff ukko and body for upheaval.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-15 13:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't forget it looks pretty neat to idle in Ares cuirass.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2012-12-15 13:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Don't forget it looks pretty neat to idle in Ares cuirass.

White box or bust... Are's looks kinda goofy on an elvaan
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-12-15 13:21:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The only difference i see is are's legs in a high buff ukko and body for upheaval.

2/10 aint bad, all things considered. Perhaps the feet for upheaval too? or no?
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-15 13:23:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Dilaram?
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-12-15 13:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Dilaram?

Yeah I know about those, and I was just looking and comparing. Little more str/att on Dil's but less acc, so it's a toss up unless they changed ares+1 to partial set effects, no? Partial affect would be dope considering the body is best upheaval.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-12-15 13:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

There is potential for a high acc set.

Head is Ares +1, body is Ker's.

Compared to my set:

Assuming same grip: Alt set gains 1 STR, 2 DEX, 14 attack, and 1 acc for 4% DA and 1 Store TP which isn't required.

Also under the assumption my set is exactly at 95% cap, for those with Huginn feet, they can swap to that and Ravager's Orb to Fire Bomblet.

On par, and new set would be slightly better for those with Huginn.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-12-15 13:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Well it eliminates the need to buy mega expensive boot then (at least from the war's perspective).
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-12-15 13:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Huginn are still the best Ukko's piece, though. And they save you an inventory slot over Dilaram's for Upheaval if you're into that kind of thing.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-12-15 14:03:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fair enough, the str beat the AF3+2, that's true. Just gotta ask yourself if that 9 STR is worth the massive price tag, but yeah I get ya.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2012-12-15 14:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya too many situational pieces, drives me nuts. Like heca panties beating ogiers when the 12 acc is needed but 20 is overkill... Seriously
 Phoenix.Suji
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-12-15 15:24:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya too many situational pieces, drives me nuts. Like heca panties beating ogiers when the 12 acc is needed but 20 is overkill... Seriously
Which is pretty much why I think people should be more reluctant to make black&white statements, especially if they are disrespectful. Your current buffs will massively change things too.

Words like "terrible" or "amazing" can rarely be used genuinely.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-12-15 15:39:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbh, I'll still only carry 2 or 3. Ogier's and avant +1, possibly ares +1. Ogier's double for PDT and Avant +1 aren't that far behind when attack is capped anyways. Ares +1 I might carry around when I get them.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2012-12-15 15:53:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Tbh, I'll still only carry 2 or 3. Ogier's and avant +1, possibly ares +1. Ogier's double for PDT and Avant +1 aren't that far behind when attack is capped anyways. Ares +1 I might carry around when I get them.

Same boat really, but i tend to change belt back neck etc more than i change legs depending on buffs. At this point i pretty much carry the set i need for what I'm doing and swap out of my sack if content or buffs change.

I'm not going to pull out a calculator to figure out what is the best before i hit my macro.
 Asura.Hotsoups
Server: Asura
user: Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-12-15 15:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Question, does the warrior's charge augment on Cuisses +2 work on activation? Or do you need to wear them during the weaponskill as well?

*Edit* I have them macro'd in for activation, and only weaponskill in them when in capped acc/attk situations.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-12-15 15:55:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't work at all on WS.

Same boat really, but i tend to change belt back neck etc more than i change legs depending on buffs.
What? Back and neck aren't debatable, waist is only accuracy dependent.
 Asura.Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-12-15 15:58:52
Link | Quote | Reply

The crit rate from the warrior's charge augment does not apply during weaponskills?
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-12-15 16:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hotsoups said: »

The crit rate from the warrior's charge augment does not apply during weaponskills?
Oh, sorry I thought you meant the DA damage. Pretty sure they have to be during the attack, though.
[+]
 Asura.Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-12-15 16:07:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hotsoups said: »

Oh, sorry I thought you meant the DA damage. Pretty sure they have to be during the attack, though.
Suppose I could test it by having them macro'd in and see if my crit rate goes up on my next attack round with something else equipped.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2012-12-15 16:39:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Same boat really, but i tend to change belt back neck etc more than i change legs depending on buffs.

So you would use gorget over portus if acc was capped? Rancorous over caracos during mighty strikes or in abby? Just saying i don't change legs much throughout a single type of content, but hands back neck waist do change.
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2012-12-15 17:36:34
Link | Quote | Reply

So you would use gorget over portus if acc was capped? Rancorous over caracos during mighty strikes or in abby? Just saying i don't change legs much throughout a single type of content, but hands back neck waist do change.

Portus collar for ws? o.o
 Odin.Registry
user: R3G1STRY
By Odin.Registry 2012-12-15 18:09:16
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't work like that.

Odin.Registry said: »
Well, what I mean is (I think this is what you just said?)...

The percent gain in hits per round is greater when you're going from 0% to 1% than it is when you're going from 50% to 51%, comparatively.
That's not what I'm saying at all.

I know >_> a page or two late, but I feel the need to save face since I fell asleep last night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

100 attack rounds

0% DA -> 1% DA = 100 -> 101 attacks per 100 rounds. ~1% increase.

50% DA -> 51% DA = 150 -> 151 attacks per 100 rounds. ~.77% increase.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Granted, that ^ is almost completely irrelevant because you still gain 1 attack round per 1 DA in 100 attack rounds as long as there's no TA or QA.

I was tired and didn't quite explain myself so well, nor did I really get what you meant when you said the actual result vs. percent gain from X to Y. So, my bad.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-12-15 18:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, I use gorget over portus. Yes I use rancorous over cavaros, even in abyssea with blood rage up. Why? Because it's abyssea and I can afk and kill anything with retaliation. If for some reason I'm using mighty strikes Ukko's and not Resolution, then I'd use atheling and barely lose any damage and not waste an inventory slot.

Odin.Registry said: »
I know, but it's incorrect. It would be a correct way to say X dps is better than Y dps by Z percent to see whether a piece of gear is worth millions of gil, but it's incorrect for multi hit's linear results.
[+]
 Odin.Registry
user: R3G1STRY
By Odin.Registry 2012-12-15 18:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Right, I was trying to explain that, but did a very very bad job lol.
By Kyler 2012-12-15 19:13:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Raksha said: »

This is because people dont understand the difference between Diminishing Returns and Dimnishing Marginal Utility.

I've pretty much given up arguing with people about it. Not like it really matters what you call it.

<3 Wish more people looked at FFXI from an economistic(feel free to use) standpoint.

af2+2 pants for WC onry
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2012-12-15 19:19:11
Link | Quote | Reply

If its linear, what are you getting out of thunder thunder gorget that beats af3 neck or portus. Not being an ***, i just don't get it.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-12-15 19:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

http://fTP.
 Phoenix.Suji
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-12-15 19:22:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I know, but it's incorrect. It would be a correct way to say X dps is better than Y dps by Z percent to see whether a piece of gear is worth millions of gil, but it's incorrect for multi hit's linear results.
That's still mostly a pedantic distinction about language, since the majority of contexts where this comes up are when we're comparing the relative DPS gains of one set of parameters to another.

It's easy to mess up the language and I'd argue that even this quote from you was ambiguous in that regard:
Ramuh.Austar said:
The gains from DA are also linear.
...since colloquially people would probably think of "gain" as something relating to DPS rather than the mapping between DA% and hits/round. Based on his post, I'm not even convinced that the guy who +1'd you understood what you meant.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the desire for clarity with this stuff, but if the criticism on clarity isn't clear enough itself people will just end up more confused... :)