Game: FFXI
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-08-22 16:32:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Square Enix Teases More of "Final Fantasy XIII" Lightning Saga
"A storm gathers" with a reveal planned for September 1 at Shibuya event
Joseph Luster
August 22, 2012 11:15am CDT

Square Enix is teasing the next step for the story of Final Fantasy XIII's Lightning, which came to an end with May's Final Fantasy XIII-2 add-on, "Lightning Story: Requiem of the Goddess." Despite the DLC's conclusiveness, a new teaser site promises a reveal of "the new direction for the saga of key character, Lightning."

As the site says, key members of the FFXIII development team—including the Producer, Director, and Art Director—are preparing a presentation that's set to take place at a Final Fantasy 25th anniversary Gallery event in Shibuya, which will be held from August 31 through September 2.

The FFXIII presentation itself is going down on September 1, so we'll have to wait until then to find out what Square Enix has in store. Are you ready for more of the Lightning Saga?

The latest issue of the Japanese edition of Shonen Jump has treated its readers to a shot of the new look for Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII's titular character.

A trailer is promised for the 2013 edition of the magazine's annual Jump Festa event.

[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-08-22 16:32:50
Link | Quote | Reply

This makes game #5 in the Fabula Nova Crystallis series.

Final Fantasy XIII
XIII-2 (with a DLC)
Versus XIII
Type-0

and now... XIII-3?
By dalmat 2012-08-22 16:35:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh CrunchyRoll <3 horriblesubs
[+]
 Bahamut.Lordzetta
Server: Bahamut
user: Zetta
By Bahamut.Lordzetta 2012-08-22 16:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Instead of focusing mainly on versus they giving us more sequels /sigh. At least give us a sequel with fang in it.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2012-08-22 16:43:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
This makes game #5 in the Fabula Nova Crystallis series.

Final Fantasy XIII
XIII-2 (with a DLC)
Versus XIII
Type-0

and now... XIII-3?

The Type series has a few games, 0 was the first. A really good one at that.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-08-22 16:45:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I just don't know what they expect to name it @.@; it's getting confusing for me honestly.

I mean, is the story really so complicated that we need 3 games? I'm not really complaining, just asking.

I don't think it is really :x
[+]
By Artemicion 2012-08-22 16:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Really sick of SE treating games within their franchise like they were their own franchise ~_~
[+]
 Asura.Vishna
Server: Asura
user: Decadence
By Asura.Vishna 2012-08-22 16:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Eventually they'll realize this game doesn't have the mass appeal that FFVII has, and stop making extra games/content for it they did for 7.

Eventually. Just not now though..
[+]
 Asura.Floorboss
user: Floorboss
By Asura.Floorboss 2012-08-22 16:57:58
Link | Quote | Reply

So the date on the site says 9-1-2012 is that like the release date for the game and or expansion or the date for the 1st preview? I would like to see a new ff game more like the old school games they made but with the updated graphics and also doing boss battles be like where u mash x y b or a buttons.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-08-22 16:59:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said: »
Really sick of SE treating games within their franchise like they were their own franchise ~_~
I miss the days when they released games with just one number in the name.

Not #-2, #-3, versus, spinoffs, movies, anime, w/e. I understand they grew, but I just enjoyed when you knew the next game was going to be the next number and a completely new story to enjoy in a year or two.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-08-22 17:00:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floorboss said: »
So the date on the site says 9-1-2012 is that like the release date for the game and or expansion or the date for the 1st preview? I would like to see a new ff game more like the old school games they made but with the updated graphics and also doing boss battles be like where u mash x y b or a buttons.
It's just the reveal, the game won't come until 2014/2015 probably.
 Asura.Vishna
user: Decadence
By Asura.Vishna 2012-08-22 17:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said: »
I miss the days when they released games with just a 1 number in the name.

Not #-2, #-3, versus, spinoffs, movies, anime, w/e. I understand they grew, but I just enjoyed when you knew the next game was going to be the next number and a completely new story to enjoy in a year or two.

Welcome to the Days of DLC Gaming. Lately it's horrid. Use to be that you only had 1 chance to release the game you had damned well make sure that is was complete from top to bottom.

Now lately gaming companies are releasing half completed products with the promise to add content at a later point (Diablo III and PVP content, I'm looking at you), sometimes with the nerve to charge you for the additional content (some even available on the day of the game's release).

But yeah, it's not that SE is growing. It's just that they're getting Capcom-grade greedy.
[+]
 Asura.Floorboss
user: Floorboss
By Asura.Floorboss 2012-08-22 17:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

If thats the case they probly will be making it for the new systems comming out
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-08-22 17:08:55
Link | Quote | Reply

They started branching off their games into sequels, spinoffs, and movies before DLC was an option.
 Siren.Kunimatsu
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2012-08-22 17:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Changing the title to "A shitstorm gathers" sounds more appropriate.

:3
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-08-22 17:17:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lightning wasn't even a great character...
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-08-22 17:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Lightning wasn't even a great character...
My thoughts exactly
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-08-22 17:23:20
Link | Quote | Reply

She's a female Cloud without even a mild back-story. She's a character who constantly declares she has a purpose, to call away from the fact that she's a flat, shapeless character with no proper supports. She wasn't even the true main character of XIII.

I'm just... disappointed.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-08-22 17:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Not that I disagree with you, but I don't think main characters should be the most popular or best character in a story. For me personally, supporting roles are what make great stories great. I love supporting roles and find that stories that try to make the main character outshine everyone else ends up lacking.
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-08-22 17:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I would say she was the main character in 13, but ok. To each their own opinion I suppose. And I liked her personally. Still haven't bought 13-2 or the DLC for 13 to get the "other ending" but for what it was worth 13 was great.
[+]
 Asura.Natenn
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2012-08-23 12:36:52
Link | Quote | Reply

in b4 its a movie
[+]
 Bismarck.Faelar
user: Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2012-08-23 12:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, I freaking LOVED XIII and XIII-2. You can tell they put a lot of effort into the game, the world, the characters, everything.

Most people I know are all "meh" about it, because they say they dont get it. I showed them this video:

....and then understood what was going on.

Example: You never hear of the Goddess Etro in XIII, but she's mentioned a LOT in XIII-2. That video explains who she is, as well as the back story of the world of XIII/2

Note the video has Japanese names in the English subtitles.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Galith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2012-08-23 12:46:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Not that I disagree with you, but I don't think main characters should be the most popular or best character in a story. For me personally, supporting roles are what make great stories great. I love supporting roles and find that stories that try to make the main character outshine everyone else ends up lacking.

I don't think they need to be the most popular but they have to be somewhat likable, I never really liked Lightning I thought she was kinda a ***. I wasn't rooting for her to die in a fiery pit like I had been with Vaan in FF12 tho.

Kinda wish japan would stop making characters like Vanille as well. I think she's one of those stereotypical Japanese characters but I don't think they translate well into English, especially when you try to give them an english voice actor.

Bismarck.Faelar said: »
You can tell they put a lot of effort into the game, the world, the characters, everything.

See I thought they were being lazy on parts and that's why the world turned out so linear and stale. Whoever did the graphics did a stellar job and everything was nice but there are definite parts where things are just lazy with a nice coat of paint. It's like playing dragon age 2 it's not inherently horrible but whoever designed the dungeons to be exactly the same with different starting positions was just being lazy. That's how i feel, to a lesser extent, in regards to ff13.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2012-08-23 13:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The entire Cocoon military is after you and you're inside Cocoon. Peeeeeeerfect time for a little stop in Nautillus for a mini-vacation. Cause that'll end well. Oh! And let's go back to that town where a mob of civilians were prepared to kill us, I'm sure they've changed their minds entirely!

Yeah, how dare they not break the games immersion by letting you go back into towns where literally everyone is trying to kill you just so you can buy equipment from actual shops. Them SE jerk faces. :|
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-08-23 13:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think there is a question of effort, but of if the story is worth 3 games with lightning, and 5 games for the Fabula Nova Crystallis series.

Looking at the video you provided, the background story is truly great and worth dealing with. However, their execution of the story through game play is poor compared to the core of the story. I would of loved to be treated with more story of the world rather than the character's own troubles and drama. After watching that video I even hold less respect for the FF13 series because of this, because of how much more I wanted out of the universe rather than this drawn out quest(s) of the characters own desires.

The background story feels like Final Fantasy material, however the games just don't have the same feel to them. That's my opinion anyways.
[+]
 Bismarck.Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2012-08-23 13:04:34
Link | Quote | Reply

To each their own.

OR

Different strokes for different folks.

I guess.
By Axciom 2012-08-23 13:15:10
Link | Quote | Reply

For the love of all that's holy can we please let this *** world die?
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2012-09-01 09:53:50
Link | Quote | Reply

so is this a continuation from the storyline of 13-2? I actually would like to play that
 Bismarck.Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2012-09-01 10:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
so is this a continuation from the storyline of 13-2? I actually would like to play that

Its set hundreds of years after supposedly. Which is utter ***.

"CLIFFHANGER! Ok guys, lets skip what happens and jump hundreds of years afterwards!"

Really? -_-
 Cerberus.Corphish
user: Lobster
By Cerberus.Corphish 2012-09-01 10:30:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Screenshots have been released for "Lightning Returns : Final Fantasy XIII". This one is my favorite.

Courtesy of kotaku.com
[+]
First Page 2 ... 23 24 25