First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 ... 39 40 41
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-14 10:18:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes climate might change all the time but the speed at which this happens is very important for the ecosystem. Downplaying it means being misinformed.

Come back when you want to discuss manmade contribution.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-14 10:18:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Have you seen it?

NO!
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-14 10:21:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
It has nothing to do with what I'm arguing, but I'm used to that.
Then what were you trying to argue? If 3 people felt the need to "correct" you, then maybe you weren't clear enough.
It doesn't make any sense to freak out about the pacific garbage patch statements (with reference to quantity) and call them all hearsay, when a group devoted to protecting the oceans comes out and says the same thing.

I included the parenthetical statement on purpose.

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
So your point is not that the garbage thing is not a serious problem but only that it doesn't look the way most people think it looks like?

And this is important why..?

It isn't. My response was to Nikolce's statement about hearsay, and why it was stupid in a thread about AGW. He also made the comment about "have you seen it?", which would only matter in relation to the QUANTITY of material there. Just seeing the stupid place(s) wouldn't tell you if the practically invisible material there is a problem or not.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-10-14 10:25:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Many here even attempted to use it as an emotional plea to argue for the support of regulation CO2 per AGW theory
Ok I went to backread, but this isn't why the pacific garbage patch was mentioned. It was in response to Nausi proclaiming(through sarcasm) that dumping garbage into the sea is no big deal(lol). Then this caused a dramatic argument about how big the patch is and what would it look like on pictures.

Multiple posts on different subjects over a few years worth of time.

The pacific garbage patch was brought in as an attempt at insulting one of the skeptics in a derogatory manor.

Person A => I don't believe in AGW theory
Person B => *Heh* pollution is bad, like the pacific garbage patch
Person A => Dude it's not even that big a deal
Crowd of people => Boo's Person A for making a politically incorrect statement.

Person B made an illogical statement in an attempt to pull person A away from direct AGW discussion and into a different area where they could be attacked. Person A fell for the trap and switched to discussing the pacific garbage patch. Person B then attempts a ridicule attack on Person A in order to cause them to lose social points.

That is a very common tactic, super religious people, and politicians use it all the time. It's illogical but very effective at causing someone to lose face in front of a group. It's a more sophisticated version of "your mom" which is used by juveniles across the world.

Person A => I don't believe in AGW theory
Person B => *Heh* Your mom
Person A => Dude, what does my mom have to do with this
Crowd of people => Snickers at Person B's apparent wit.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-14 10:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
I don't believe in AGW theory

great, then let's pretend I'm one of your "fence sitters" that hasn't already formulated an opinion on AGW theory.

Make your case.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-10-14 10:40:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes climate might change all the time but the speed at which this happens is very important for the ecosystem. Downplaying it means being misinformed.

Come back when you want to discuss manmade contribution.

Assuming your talking to Raevel or Nausi because that has been my primary point this entire time. The manmade component is measured in CO2 addition to the atmosphere vs world temperatures. There is a very loose correlation but no direct evidence of causation. Deep history has CO2 trailing world wide temperature increases while recent history, 80~100 years, has it leading slightly. This makes for good science.

Unfortunately political powers got involved early on due to CO2's connection to every facet of human existence and it's regulation means absolute power of those humans. This has caused the result of the science to be predisposed prior to the actual science being conducted. If you look for something hard enough, you will always find it, whether it exists or not. You can't prove a negative and thus it's not possible to prove there isn't causation, only that there isn't sufficient certainty to invoke great alarm. Just as you can't disprove the existence of "God", only provide evidence that it's highly unlikely for a "God" to exist.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-14 10:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

My response was to Nikolce's statement about hearsay

All I am asking you to do is consider the source of your "Knowledge" about the pacific garbage patch or anything else..

I ADMITTEDLY HAVE A LOT OF PERSONAL BIAS AGAINST POLLUTION IN GENERAL which comes from growing up in ohio, watching rivers catch on fire, losing two girlfriends to inoperable brain cancer before I was sixteen, and working on a superfund clean up site. I have personal hands on experience.

so when people say "I don't think XYZ is a big deal" I suspect they just haven't witnessed it, which in this case they haven't.

So where do they get their opinions from?
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-10-14 10:46:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
1) You're talking about a Pennsylvania that existed in completely different geologic eras
2) Global warming is an incredibly misleading name, which is why you don't hear it used as often as climate change, which more accurately describes the symptoms.
3) Consider the fact that we currently subsidize fossil fuels (which have other pollutants aside from CO2), which is good for direct economic purposes but has all sorts of negative externalities. From a purely objective economic standpoint, it would make more sense to tax (or at least drop the subsidies on) fossil fuels and subsidize/focus on more advanced forms of energy where it is feasible.

1) And the thick sheet of ice you left out?
2) Climate Change is even more misleading. It encompasses absolutely everything that we experience.
3) Like I said, climate change is about money.
1) I didn't leave it out, both were in completely different geologic eras, which changed at varying rates, to which some species could adapt and others could not. The point is that a quicker change brings about a greater threat. It's not like they were both moments in your own life that you dealt with by putting on snow pants or short shorts.
2) Consider that a "climate" refers to a regular pattern of weather and conditions in an area. The change is that these patterns shift in location/frequency/intensity. We have been observing changes in the form of storm activity, animal and plant seasonal activity, temperatures, glacial ice, and more. What's misleading about that?
3) I think we all can agree that money is a major driving force here. I did want to expand on the economic logic behind taking action to mitigate climate change.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-14 10:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Climate change is about money.

You wouldn't happen to know any of the stock ticker symbols of the companies that would benefit most from climate change?

maybe it's just my evil nature talking......
but shouldn't we move smartly to make some money off it?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-14 11:28:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, that's the problem with green energy. It's not lucrative enough. Even if we managed to completely greenify the entire U.S. at the expense of money and efficiency, we would have to convince the rest of the world that rainbows and unicorn glitter are more important than cold hard cash. We can argue until we're blue about whether or not AGW is a thing, but it honestly doesn't matter if we can't get everyone on board to change (hint: we definitely can't). The one and only way to do that is make something better and cheaper than what we can do with the stuff we're pulling out of the planet. You may sway some people with words, but money is the only language that everyone listens to.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-14 11:29:33
Link | Quote | Reply

But there are even worldwide agreements in place for a progressive CO2 emissions reductions..
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-10-14 11:37:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Other countries have already figured out that the cost of inaction outweighs the cost of green investments. Fortunately for them, many of them don't have to deal with deniers blocking progress.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-14 11:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Other countries have already figured out that the cost of inaction outweighs the cost of green investments. Fortunately for them, many of them don't have to deal with deniers blocking progress.
Commies!!!!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-14 11:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Where do you get this emotional drivel?

Other countries? Guise, we can't let other countries show us up, we need to keep up with the Chinas.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-14 11:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

And look at where that has gotten us. We're still smack dab in the crossroads between the lands of Whining, Gloom, and Doom. Hurray for "progress".
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-14 12:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, that's the problem with green energy. It's not lucrative enough.

Your statement directly contradicts Aman's statement that it's "all about money", not to be confused with ice cube's statement on life in general being about *** and money...

so which is it?
By Xilk 2015-10-14 12:07:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I think that some scientists are frauds who's only out to get the money for "research" in the Bahamas every year.

97% of climatologist
90% of scientist overall
Every scientific institution in the US
The democratic party
Most of the world, including China and Russia
The pope

All bend to the will of the powerful climatology lobby.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexepstein/2015/01/06/97-of-climate-scientists-agree-is-100-wrong/

The 97% figure, though often quoted, is a blatant and deliberate misrepresentation by a clearly partisan researcher. This is statistics, not science.

Every knows statistics can be manipulated... but few actually go and check IF they were. it all depends if its telling you want you want to hear or not.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-14 12:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm no math genius but wouldn't that make it 50% wrong?
 Bahamut.Omael
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-10-14 12:18:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

I'm no math genius but wouldn't that make it 50% wrong?

According to his bio on forbes he's the head of the I Love Fossil Fuels Campaign, so he might be slightly biased somehow.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-14 12:19:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Your statement directly contradicts Aman's statement that it's "all about money", not to be confused with ice cube's statement on life in general being about *** and money...

so which is it?

Green alternatives are not as energy dense as their carbon based alternatives, therefore they aren't as profitable in a free market.

That doesn't change the fact that 22 billion dollars are spent on climate change every year by the government.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-10-14 12:21:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Where do you get this emotional drivel?

Other countries? Guise, we can't let other countries show us up, we need to keep up with the Chinas.
Are "emotional arguments" the new thing now to accuse of everyone now? Well, at least it's different then "hypocrite".

Yes, other countries. China has more fully come on board since that was published.
He has a point that many people who throw out that statistic don't know where it comes from (Seha does, however), but his interpretation of the paper's results is flawed. Much like the people here who don't get it, there was an implicit and explicit categorization of statements regarding man-made climate change that were used to derive the findings. Not every paper will explicitly say that humans have cause CC because it's such a fundamental statement among climate science that it doesn't need to be.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-14 12:26:52
Link | Quote | Reply

so which is it?

Well, I'm not Aman, so I don't see why that matters. It's not a perfect contradiction anyway, because I think some people see the narrative as attempting to feed an inferior industry through lies/deception. I just think that it should be more lucrative on its own merits, beating out the competition through ingenuity, efficiency, and price.
By Xilk 2015-10-14 12:28:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Omael said: »
According to his bio on forbes he's the head of the I Love Fossil Fuels Campaign, so he might be slightly biased somehow.

The only way to not have a bias is to not have an opinion or not be informed.

The 97% statistic COMES from a guy who runs http://www.skepticalscience.com/
Its source, John Cook, is biased. That is why you check the DATA.

Read the whole article.
The statistic was deliberately manipulated. Scientists whose paper's John Cook referenced are writing in to say their data was misrepresented.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-10-14 12:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Green alternatives are not as energy dense as their carbon based alternatives, therefore they aren't as profitable in a free market.
Energy density is important, true, but you gotta factor in the cost of procuring the resources and any refinement methods, plus the cost of creating/operating/maintaining the facilities. You'd also want to factor in externalities, such as the impacts of mining/drilling, and pollution from combustion.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-10-14 12:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Xilk said: »

The only way to not have a bias is to not have an opinion or not be informed.

The 97% statistic COMES from a guy who runs http://www.skepticalscience.com/
Its source, John Cook, is biased. That is why you check the DATA.

Read the whole article.
The statistic was deliberately manipulated. Scientists whose paper's John Cook referenced are writing in to say their data was misrepresented.
And you've checked the DATA?

What was manipulated?

Bias is such a lazy argument. Cook is a climate scientist. The article writer, for all we know, has no science background. It's easy to accuse someone of bias when you don't want to argue any facts.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-14 12:34:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I understand corporate shills. I'm one myself.... I work for an evil company that sells only heartache and misery and I find myself lying all time...

I suppose I am most upset that none of my techniques work half as well as the I Love Fossil Fuels Campaign seem to....

Also, I don't want to be the last jackass clinging to his Untied Chlorofluorocarbons Industries stock when the crap hits the fan....

So are you going to give up some hot stock tips?!? or just sit there regurgitating stale bile you heard from glen beck!?
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-14 12:37:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I'm not Aman

if your not here to share insider trading information...then what the hell good are you!?
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-14 12:53:15
Link | Quote | Reply

And you've checked the DATA?

of course!

you look like a particularly smart fellow....have you ever considered bridge ownership?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-10-14 12:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Reminds me of this ad I found on a job ads website when I was hunting for summer jobs a couple of years ago...was something like this

"Looking for someone who can build a bridge. I am not interested in anything else, ONLY A BRIDGE! Great discretion necessary."

Always left me wondering where this secret bridge would lead...
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-14 13:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

It's easy to say the cost of inaction is far greater when they put a price tag on inaction of one hundred billion million trillion dollars and everyone dies. Bernie Sanders actually said last night that the world will be inhabitable for our children. If you want to make America inhabitable for our children then elect Bernie Sanders and the 60 trillion dollars in debt that follows in eight years.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 ... 39 40 41