Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » USB device not recognized
USB device not recognized
First Page 2
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-08 16:33:00
Link | Quote | Reply

So i received an iPod Touch 1st Generation. Was only planning to use it for music when i get back to running due to disability.

Giving me nothing but problems so far. - (I don't rly use apple products.) Main issue right now is that i cant connect it to my computer. I always get an error message.
Usb Device not recognized.
One of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it.

I don't have another cord to test if its that atm. But anything else ive looked into seems to be a waste of time and no help. And honestly with things that have gone on in RL lately, its a little hard to think straight right now. Any ideas?

Running xp
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-10-08 16:38:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Any ideas?

burn the whole house down & start over with things that work.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-10-08 16:48:27
Link | Quote | Reply

look for ipod drivers? Or if you want to render your machine useless, install itunes.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-08 16:51:52
Link | Quote | Reply

http://techteen.net/ipod-driver-download-windows-xp-vista-7-8/
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-08 16:59:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
look for ipod drivers? Or if you want to render your machine useless, install itunes.

i did, but the problem was there before and after that.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-10-08 17:01:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like you need drivers. >>>HERE<<<

Then you need to use iTunes to recognize it.

Restore it. If you're stuck in Recovery Mode, a guide >>here<< can help you.

If error still persisting, there's a trick with uninstalling iTunes, restarting computer, then reinstalling it that could fix it.

Other than list, any thing else would most likely be a hardware error.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-08 17:12:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aelius said: »
Sounds like you need drivers. >>>HERE<<<

Then you need to use iTunes to recognize it.

Restore it. If you're stuck in Recovery Mode, a guide >>here<< can help you.

If error still persisting, there's a trick with uninstalling iTunes, restarting computer, then reinstalling it that could fix it.

Other than list, any thing else would most likely be a hardware error.

That just installed driver doc, which is just trying to get me to buy its software. ><

Not in recovery mode. And i dont think its an issue with itunes because this problem was happening before i downloaded the program.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-08 17:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

iTunes or the actual Apple Mobile Device driver?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-08 17:41:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Both itunes and PC dont register the device. And there is no questionable items (or apple items) in my device manager (aside from a SM Buss controller)

I dont have the apple mobile driver. I cant seem to get it, which seems quite odd, and highly annoying
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-08 17:43:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea i was there before i posted on here.

I get to #5 - For XP - If the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is not listed - #5/6 - and nothing is there. Thats one reason i was wondering if there is a problem with the usb cord. But i didn't want to contact them saying its a bad part if i wasn't sure.

EDIT: correction. The AMD is now listed in my Services.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-10-08 17:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

buy a really cold drink.
use Ipod as a coaster.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-08 17:51:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-08 18:42:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I get to #5 - For XP - If the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is not listed - #5/6 - and nothing is there. Thats one reason i was wondering if there is a problem with the usb cord. But i didn't want to contact them saying its a bad part if i wasn't sure.

Here's the driver if you want to try it. That's the download link from my first post.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qndn42mm013/AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-10-08 18:50:36
Link | Quote | Reply

That message means the computer was unable to *discern* what device was attached to the USB port. It detected that something is connected to the USB port but was unable to handshake with it (broken data wires) or the device itself has it's USB port damaged (at a hardware level).

I suggest you try a different cable as it's usually what fails and cause that kind of error/problem.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-10-08 19:01:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Usually when I have that (as my cables are a-ok) is the device is fried, but sometimes just trying another usb port can help, usually if the device is just hiccuping for a minute (my ps2 controller to usb adapters were doing that for a bit a few months ago, but haven't acted up since and have been using them daily).

It could also mean that port is bad.

This isn't a driver issue yet, but I would disconnect it, reboot the pc and try again in another port (if you're using the front, try one in the back), and then if it doesn't work again try your other PC.

As for software that manages drivers: generally a horrible idea as most of it is malware.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-08 19:02:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Both itunes and PC dont register the device. And there is no questionable items (or apple items) in my device manager (aside from a SM Buss controller)

I dont have the apple mobile driver. I cant seem to get it, which seems quite odd, and highly annoying

Your smbus controller isn't installed?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-08 19:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

it would seem not. I never noticed it before. I know at some point i went through it all and made sure everything was there and installed. But i forget when that was. A good while ago at the least. I only noticed the smbus today.

I tried different ports. They all did the same thing. I actually had a different question about ports i was going to look into, but that's taking a back seat atm.

I just tried hooking it into a usb port on my laptop. It said it found the device, installed it, then i get the same error message i was getting here.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-08 19:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Expand it and see if you see it in any of the lists, if so tell it to remove it and delete any associated drivers, if not you're possibly sol.

As for the SM Bus Controller: from my experience installing the chipset drivers takes care of it, but it varies per board, but usually that will take care of it. I'd look up your service tag online and see if the download is still available.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-08 20:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

i did look through it already, a few times. I saw nothing that resembled the product. - Thats were i got stuck on the apple support

fyi #5:
Quote:
Expand all the sections labeled below (not all sections may be listed):

Imaging Devices
Other Devices
Portable Devices
Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Look for the entry that recognizes the device as a camera. This entry should be called Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, or Apple iPod.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-08 20:09:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like the thing is fried, does it even cut on?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-08 20:11:52
Link | Quote | Reply

the pod itself appears to work just fine; not that ive done a whole lot with it. Another reason i thought it might be the cable.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-08 20:22:23
Link | Quote | Reply

well isnt that interesting...

Problem solved.

Kinda ironic as well considering the tablet you pointed out in that one pic jet. I just realized that the cord from that tablet fits the pod. And its actually a usb cord hooked into a plug unit that plugs into an outlet. So i was able to disconnect it and use that. The comp registered the pod. Seems to be working. So i guess it is indeed the usb cord that came with it.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-08 20:37:27
Link | Quote | Reply

yay
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-08 21:04:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Go figure, especially since I missed that malfunctioning part, I would have guessed the port or the bus controller from the picture.

Good thing you had another cord to test it with after all.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-08 21:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm very familiar with the error message, it sucks.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-08 22:08:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Go figure, especially since I missed that malfunctioning part, I would have guessed the port or the bus controller from the picture.

Good thing you had another cord to test it with after all.

Thats pretty much what i did.
Not that i knew the cord on the tablet was compatible, but i completely forgot it might have been an option. Since it was my fathers, i never used it. Never use it, slowly becomes forgetting what it has'
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-10-08 23:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I should explain you how USB detect when devices are connected, it's something very, very physically dumb.

There's two signals for data transmission on the USB port (Data - and Data +) along with a ground pin and +5v pin.

The computer senses that a device is connected when D- receives a small feedback voltage from the USB port +5V pin. So if D- wire is working but D+ is not, the computer can tell something is attached but it can't handshake (D+ is the computer to device transmission line) so it can't receive the ID string it needs to know the device class, because the query command never arrived at the target(broken cable). So after a (very, very short) time out it toss that message.

Glad to hear it was just the cable.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-10-13 13:28:38
Link | Quote | Reply

ok, To bring up a question i had before this happened...

It seems over time on most of my comps, the front two usb ports always end up failing/becoming non responsive at all. And im stuck with only the four usb ports in the back. Seems to be a reoccurring thing. And it just recently happened to my current comp as well.

Anyone know whats up with that?
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-10-13 13:31:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
burn the whole house down & start over with things that work.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-14 04:56:50
Link | Quote | Reply

ok, To bring up a question i had before this happened...

It seems over time on most of my comps, the front two usb ports always end up failing/becoming non responsive at all. And im stuck with only the four usb ports in the back. Seems to be a reoccurring thing. And it just recently happened to my current comp as well.

Anyone know whats up with that?
shitty cases, unless you're actually frying the port headers on the mobo, it's pretty much shitty cases.

I had a case that did that while back, threw the damn thing away.
First Page 2