Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 730 731 732 ... 1375 1376 1377
By fonewear 2015-07-01 21:03:23
Link | Quote | Reply

More important than the gay church tax:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/01/girl-scouts-white-house_n_7702798.html

TLDR: Girl scouts sleep on the white house lawn.

Feels video of the Obama jamboree:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-07-01 21:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Primary documents and references linked in full article

TSA Asks America To LOL At Traveler Who Had $75,000 Taken From Him By Federal Agents
from the the-4chan-of-government-agencies dept said:
The TSA runs a fairly entertaining Instagram account, if you're the sort of person who is impressed by pictures of weapons seized from stupid passengers. That would be the extent of its social media prowess. Its blog is pretty much a 50/50 mix of Yet Another Thing You Can't Take Onboard and Blogger Bob defending the TSA's latest gaffe.

One of the TSA's official Twitter flacks tried to loft a lighthearted "hey, look at this thing we came across!" tweet. She couldn't have picked a worse "thing" to highlight, considering the ongoing outrage over civil asset forfeiture.

First: should the TSA be broadcasting the contents of someone's luggage -- especially considering the contents are a large amount of cash -- along with broadcasting the airport where it was discovered and the baggage's appearance? There may not be any recognizable privacy violations here, but it's certainly bad form. And it does no favors to the person carrying it.

Second: unless the traveler was attempting to take the money out of the country without reporting it to Customs, it's none of the TSA's business how a traveler carries money from place to place. It may be careless, but it is not illegal and it is certainly not something government agencies should spend too much time obsessing over. (But of course they will, because travelers' cash can quickly become the government's cash, thanks to civil asset forfeiture.)

Third: the TSA's public interest in this member of the public's cash is flat-out unseemly. Not only does the tweet portray the unnamed person as some sort of idiot/criminal (or both!), but it led many to the obvious assumption that this cash was seized.

But, you know, LOL #otherpeoplesmoney and all that.

The foregone conclusion that this money had been seized was (momentarily) dispelled by another tweet from the TSAmedia_Lisa account.

Quote:
TSA didn't seize/confiscate/take it. It alarmed the x-ray machine as an unknown and we spotted it. It's just a curiosity

So, somehow a passenger managed to walk through airport security with a large amount of cash and managed to still be in possession of it on the DEPARTURE side of the checkpoint?

No. This is AMERICA, land of the somewhat free and home of the brave drug warrior.

A followup email to the Washington Post's Chris Ingraham proved TSAmedia_Lisa's (Farbstein) response was technically true and completely disingenuous.

Quote:
Asked about the incident via e-mail, Farbstein said that "the carry-on bag of the passenger alarmed because of the large unknown bulk in his carry-on bag. When TSA officers opened the bag to determine what had caused the alarm, the money was sitting inside. Quite unusual. TSA alerted the airport police, who were investigating."

It seems the police didn't just "investigate." They worked with another federal agency to take the money:

Quote:
In this case, the cash was seized by a federal agency, most likely the Drug Enforcement Administration, according to Richmond airport spokesman Troy Bell. "I don't believe the person was issued a summons or a citation," he said. "The traveler was allowed to continue on his way."

So Farbstein's claim about how it was "just a curiosity" is completely bogus. Not only was the photograph and putting it on social media a questionable invasion of privacy, but then they handed it off to another federal agency to take the money... and then the TSA clearly implied the opposite on social media once the story blew up.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-01 22:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Obama the Transparent, lol.

Quote:
A one-digit correction to President Obama's directive on hostage policy Wednesday had the effect of disclosing the existence of a previously unknown — and still-secret — Obama order on national security.

The hostage policy was originally released Wednesday as a presidential policy directive numbered PPD-29. When the White House corrected that number to PPD-30, it meant Obama had issued a secret directive as PPD-29 sometime in the past 17 months.

Obama signed PPD-28, an order on electronic eavesdropping in the wake of revelations by Edward Snowden, in January 2014.

So what is PPD-29? No one's talking. A spokesman for the National Security Council declined to comment of the existence of classified PPDs Wednesday.

"The only reason we know about it is the sequential numbering of the directives, and realizing they skipped a few," said Steven Aftergood of the Federation of American Scientists, which tracks the directives.

PPD-29 isn't the first to be tacitly acknowledged only by a missing number. Of the 30 PPDs issued by Obama, 19 have not been released. And for 11 of those, the White House has not disclosed even the subject of the order.

"It's not only the public that doesn't have copies. It's also Congress that doesn't have copies," Aftergood said. "It's a domain of largely unchecked presidential authority. It doesn't mean it's bad, but it's lacking in independent oversight."

But they have the same legal force as an executive order, forming a body of largely secret law, said Harold Relyea, a political scientist who advised Congress on national security directives before retiring from the Congressional Research Service.

"The difference is that while executive orders are public by law — they must be published in the Federal Register to be effective —- PPDs are not," he said. "It is a kind of secret law. People have to obey it. But it's a directive that can allocate money, direct people or take a course of action."

What Obama calls PPDs have gone by different names by different presidents back to the Truman Administration. President George W. Bush called them National Security Presidential Directives (NPSDs). President Clinton called them Presidential Decision Directives (PDDs). President Nixon called them National Security Decision Memoranda.

Whatever they're called, Obama has been less prolific than his predecessors. George W. Bush issued 66 such orders, plus 25 more Homeland Security Presidential Directives. President Reagan issued at least 325.

Some, going back as far as the Lyndon Johnson administration, remain classified. They can involve subjects including the use of nuclear weapons, ballistic missile defenses, space policy, cybersecurity and even continuity plans for the federal government in the case of a large-scale disaster.

The secrecy makes it difficult to know entirely what changes Obama has made in the hostage policy. The directive issued Wednesday revoked a prior directive by President George W. Bush in 2002. But that directive, known as NSPD-12, remains secret.

"You would think that if there's a new policy it would be a simple matter to explain what the old policy was," Aftergood said.

And even though Obama released his directive, it incorporates a classified annex with additional instructions to executive branch agencies.
Obama has issued 19 secret directives
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-07-01 22:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats the problem?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-01 22:33:02
Link | Quote | Reply

IL, now without a budget.

Quote:
The State of Illinois is operating without a budget, a one-month spending plan failed to pass the House, and legislators are on holiday.

Democrats and Gov. Bruce Rauner were unable to agree on the full 2016 budget before the state began its new fiscal year on July 1.

"Obviously I'm disappointed and frustrated with the General Assembly. We could and should resolve these issues on a prompt basis. This has been dragging for a while," GOP Rauner said.

"Let's get to work on the No. 1 problem facing the state of Illinois: the budget deficit. Let's not function in the extreme. Let's function in moderation. Let's make sure that everybody is reasonable with all of this," said State Rep. Mike Madigan, D-Illinois House Speaker.

At a cost of $2.3 billion, the Democrats' were pushing a one-month plan would have kept some "essential" services, including Medicaid Illinois State Police protection, elderly meals and veterans home, going while the budget battle continues.

The measure was approved by the Illinois Senate, 37-0 & 11 "present" votes, but failed in the Illinois House, 67-1-32. Rauner, who calls the plan "unconstitutional," had said he would have vetoed it had it passed. Rauner used his veto power earlier Wednesday morning to keep lawmakers from receiving their annual 2-percent cost of living raises.

The spending plan bill would have needed a three-fifth vote to pass.

How long can the state operate without a budget or temporary spending plan?

"I think it's going to go on for a while," Illinois Senate Minority Leader Christine Radogno, (R), said. Months? "That's not outside the realm of possibility."

"It's chaos across the line and giving stability of a one-month budget to give us time to work with the governor seems the only sensible, common sensible thing to do," State Representative Flynn Currie, (D), said.

The House ended its session on Wednesday and legislators left to begin the Fourth of July holiday weekend. They won't be back until next Tuesday, leaving the state without a budget for at least the next six days.

In June, state lawmakers sent an unbalanced budget of $36 billion to Rauner. He vetoed most of the plan, saying he wants changes in business and political practices - like lawmaker term limits and a property tax freeze- before going along with raising revenue.

Rauner did, however, approve of adding another $74 million to K-12 and early childhood education, which brings the education funding to $344 million.

Those who work with some of the state's most vulnerable residents say Rauner's budget plan would cut funding for education, Medicaid, childcare and hospitals.

Tim Egan, CEO of Roseland Hospital in Chicago, said without a budget in place, hospitals across Illinois that receive state funds may have to lay off staff, reducing their ability to care for patients. He said the need is particularly urgent in hospitals like his, where emergency physicians frequently treat victims of Chicago violence.

"We have a moral obligation," he said. "I assure you people will die without a budget agreement."

In Chicago, hundreds of people who are facing layoffs due to cuts in state funding rallied. Monica Sanchez said she doesn't know if she still has a job at Empresarias del Futuro, an educational training program to help women in small business run through Mujeres Latinas en Accion.

"We don't know. We don't know. We have a meeting at 4 p.m. today, and we are going to know what happens then," Sanchez said.
BUSINESS AS USUAL IN ILLINOIS?

On Wednesday, the governor borrowed $454 million from special state funds to manage Illinois' cash flow and avoid late penalty payments. While state business continued and public parks and driver's license facilities remain open, it isn't clear if workers will receive complete paychecks on their next pay day.

Illinois State Police continue to patrol.

However, the Illinois Department of Human Services is reducing Child Care Assistance Program benefits in light of limited funding projected for the next fiscal year. The department said the changes, which take effect Wednesday, had to be made in order to continue providing assistance in the future. IDHS outlined those changes HERE.
State of Illinois operating without a budget
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-07-01 22:38:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

I'm not a fan of many of the PPD's that have been leaked recently or secret laws that have no judicial oversight, but what exactly are you critizing here?

The law governing this goes back to the 1940's and every president has used it to some extent.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-01 22:52:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »

I'm not a fan of many of the PPD's that have been leaked recently or secret laws that have no judicial oversight, but what exactly are you critizing here?

The law governing this goes back to the 1940's and every president has used it to some extent.
The American people can quickly jump on a trend to remove a flag, but do not care about secret laws and even embrace them. (with no judicial oversight as you pointed out)
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-01 22:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
A bigot through and through, I doubt anyone is surprised.
I see you must've skipped that class or just burnt the book.

The fact that you use animal farm as an allegory for equality is why I called you a bigot.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-07-01 22:59:42
Link | Quote | Reply

The American people can quickly jump on a trend to remove a flag, but do not care about secret laws and even embrace them. (with no judicial oversight as you pointed out)

So whats the problem?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-01 23:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The fact that you use animal farm as an allegory for equality is why I called you a bigot.

If you feel I am bigoted, then I guess I must be...
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-01 23:21:43
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-01 23:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Animal Farm is an allegory for equality. That's... rather obvious.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-07-01 23:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

So you have nothing eh chaos?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-01 23:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »

If hypocrisy and lies are nothing to you, then I guess he has nothing.
[+]
 Cerberus.Laconic
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-07-01 23:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You say that like they know the meaning of those words.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-07-01 23:49:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Its not hypocrisy nor lies. I love when you guys cry about transparency, when last year boehner killed the transparency bill that his own chamber passed 400-0 and the Senate passed 100-0, just to spite Obama.
The public is absolutely not entitled to know everything, the faster you accept that the faster you stop looking like idiots. I notice you just gloss over the fact that he has issued less than half the amount of secret orders than his predecessor, and wow Reagan with at least 325. But oh no, Obama has issued 19, no transparency!
 Cerberus.Laconic
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-07-01 23:52:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not hypocrisy nor lies. I love when you guys cry about transparency, when last year boehner killed the transparency bill that his own chamber passed 400-0 and the Senate passed 100-0, just to spite Obama.
The public is absolutely not entitled to know everything, the faster you accept that the faster you stop looking like idiots. I notice you just gloss over the fact that he has issued less than half the amount of secret orders than his predecessor, and wow Reagan with at least 325. But oh no, Obama has issued 19, no transparency!

[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-02 00:01:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinton 2016!
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-02 00:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Beohner's an idiot. You act like that surprises us or something. The difference between Obama and his predecessors is that he has touted his transparency chops, only to pull a lot of the same crap and fail to fulfill a lot of his campaign promises on the topic. PPDs aren't the only measure of transparency.

Oh, but of course, he's a politician. We can let it slide because we expect it of them... until it's someone in office we don't like.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-02 00:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

It's an allegory for the social unrest and he's arguing from the side of the oligarchy. He's attributing gay rights with propaganda and exploitation. The same tired bigoted crap in a newly found literary tuxedo.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-02 01:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It's an allegory for the social unrest and he's arguing from the side of the oligarchy. He's attributing gay rights with propaganda and exploitation. The same tired bigoted crap in a newly found literary tuxedo.

I was sort of just making fun of you for your wording. Even the online Cliff Notes opens with "Animal Farm is George Orwell's satire on equality", so I found your phrase a bit amusing.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-02 01:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You are all an allegory!
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-07-02 01:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I am not amused with many of the decisions Obama has made concerning transparancy and backing down on promises (e.g. Refusing to release torture photos).

However, these are considered national security directives and there are many things that should not be released. Whether the reasoning is legally justified or not, that is the question.

As to no one caring about this, that is false. Many, many organizations are constantly trying to get a better idea of what these secret laws entail by taking this to courts, with very mixed results.

Whether the average US citizen is interested, eh, they aren't interested in most national security issues even when it involves the US government killing it's own citizens abroad. Hell, John Oliver went out in NYC and asked a random sample of people who Edward Snowden was and most of them had no freaking clue.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-02 01:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You are all an allegory!

Some of us are more Al Gorey than others.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-02 02:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Only 13 more days until Jade Helm starts. Should be entertaining.

Tank sighting at a Walmart near Easton, Texas:

[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-02 06:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
California Governor Jerry Brown on Wednesday was considering whether to sign a bill that would remove the word "lynching" from a 1933 law that used the term to describe the crime of trying to wrest a person from police custody.

The bill, which unanimously passed in the California Legislature last week, followed furor over the arrest of black activist Maile Hampton on a charge of felony lynching during a "Black Lives Matter" demonstration in Sacramento in January.

Hampton's attorney, lawmakers and other supporters rallied behind her at court and on social media, saying it was ironic she had been charged under a decades-old law that was originally enacted to protect black detainees from white lynch mobs.

Hampton's supporters also called for the removal of the word lynching from the penal code, saying its application was not appropriate.

Thousands of African-Americans were victims of lynchings, or extrajudicial public execution by hanging, in Southern states in the 19th and 20th centuries.

“Whether obsolete, perverse or just wrong, it’s time for that law to change,” Sen. Holly Mitchell, a California legislator representing a district including historically African-American communities in Los Angeles, said in a statement on her website.

Hampton was detained for allegedly trying to pull a friend from police custody during a January protest over the killings of unarmed black men by white police officers, the Sacramento Bee reported.

Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert has since reduced Hampton's charges to resisting arrest, a misdemeanor.

Schubert did not respond to a request for comment about the case.

Mitchell, who introduced the bill to change the language of the law, said penalties would not be eliminated or reduced under the bill, and killing a person by mob action would remain a felony.

The crime of trying to remove someone from police custody is punishable by between two and four years in state prison.
California moves to strike 'lynching' language from state law
 Asura.Ivlilla
Server: Asura
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-07-02 06:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

She didn't do nothing. She was going to church every week, trying to get her life back on track. Her church needs more money for those programs. This is all the result of white privilege and systemic racism.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-02 06:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Oregon officially became the fourth state to legalize recreational marijuana on Wednesday, as pot smokers gathered across the Beaver State to light up and celebrate.

In Portland, hundreds of weed enthusiasts fanned out across the aptly-named Burnside Bridge before midnight, counting down the minutes until the law allowing recreational use went into effect. As was the case in Colorado, Washington and Alaska, Oregon pot smokers hugged and toked like stoners at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve.

There was, however, at least one reason to curb the herb enthusiasm. The Oregon law allows those 21 and older to smoke marijuana privately, grow up to four pot plants and possess up to eight ounces of weed at home and carry one ounce outside. But unlike Colorado and Washington, pot shops won't arrive until 2016, and a bill that would allow bans on retail sales in cities and counties where at least 55 percent of voters are against legalization is headed to the governor's desk.

"We're legal as of midnight, but we don't have any legal place to purchase," Russ Belville, head of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws' Portland chapter, told KATU-TV.

Those celebrating the new law weren't complaining: Until the retail stores arrive, Oregonians are being encouraged to share their stashes.

"I'm just here to get weed for free," Phillip Piper, who was visiting from Tennessee, told the Oregonian.

"I never imagined you'd be able to hand out joints in the street and it would be acceptable," Kristin McKinnon told the paper.

"We figure, let's take advantage of Oregon generosity and just overgrow," Belville said. "Free the weed — so to speak — so that we're not perpetuating the black market."

On Friday, an event dubbed "Weed the People" is scheduled in North Portland. Attendees will be able to share, sample and take home up to 7 grams of weed cultivated by Oregon growers that have been producing the state's medical marijuana.

According to organizers, tickets for the event — at $40 a pop — are already sold out, and there are more than 750 people on a waiting list.

Free the weed, indeed.
Potlandia! Oregon legalizes recreational marijuana — free weed included
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-02 06:57:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »

You don't get it that flag is responsible for killing 9 black people ! It's wrong It's wrong !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-02 06:59:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You are all an allegory!

[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 730 731 732 ... 1375 1376 1377