Win7: FFXI Crashes Constantly (NVIDIA-related)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Win7: FFXI crashes constantly (NVIDIA-related)
Win7: FFXI crashes constantly (NVIDIA-related)
By Jetackuu 2014-04-27 00:18:28
Link | Quote | Reply

hmm Aero crashing/recovering without FFXI issues, that's weird, I'd say.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-04-27 00:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

that Aero flickering on and off is Windows Experience Index. happens every Sunday at 1:00AM (time may vary for you), it's Microsoft's stupid benchmark thing.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-27 00:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

a quick task scheduler modification should take care of that.
 Lakshmi.Dyshonest
Server: Lakshmi
user: Dyshonest
By Lakshmi.Dyshonest 2014-04-27 02:14:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, it lasted a long time. The crash happened though.
I came back to my computer after checking it only half an hour prior to the usual, non-BSOD crash (though the brief popup mentioning Nvidia has disappeared, the Windows crash report was the same as usual), even with an Intel Turbo Boost crash to boot:
Quote:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: pol.exe
Application Version: 1.18.13.0
Application Timestamp: 4e3bcddc
Fault Module Name: d3d8.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bd9a7
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0003cd79
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Heat isn't a factor - my computer (the GPU, Temp1 and Temp2 and Core0-3) is only around 45-50C on all but HD0 (still a steady 36-38C). Even being generous and saying the crash was immediately after I left a half hour ago, it wouldn't be this cool so quickly.
 Lakshmi.Dyshonest
By Lakshmi.Dyshonest 2014-04-27 09:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Three more crashes since the last post - two of them the Display Driver error that cuts off FFXI, and one of them (the most recent) being a BSOD...

I disabled Nvidia HD Audio prior to these three, as well.
 Asura.Tymoris
Server: Asura
user: Tymoris
By Asura.Tymoris 2014-04-27 11:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

You should take note of the code that the BSOD gives and check that out so you will make sure it's not faulty memory or psu problems.
 Sylph.Shipp
Server: Sylph
user: Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-04-27 12:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know if this is related or not, but around sept last year (possibly oct) I updated drivers and have had problems ever since. My pc temp is fine, gpu temp is fine, but I get weird BSoDs and graphic errors.

In FFXIV, when I'd spam Bliz 2 for AoE in fates, my pc would randomly freeze, black screen, for 10-60 secs occasionally, and then work fine. In XIV, the game just hangs up. Even just having Firefox open in the background will cause this.

The new update seems to have fixed most of this for me but I still get the odd hangs in xi where the game just freezes (sound still plays, but screen is frozen) and I have to kill the game in task manager.

Do you use motionjoy with a ps3 controller by chance? The game freezing or outright crashing seems to be a common problem from my experience as well as my friends' who use it.
 Lakshmi.Dyshonest
By Lakshmi.Dyshonest 2014-04-27 12:51:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tymoris said: »
You should take note of the code that the BSOD gives and check that out so you will make sure it's not faulty memory or psu problems.
Done. Look below (results are from NirSoft's BlueScreenView).

Sylph.Shipp said: »
I don't know if this is related or not, but around sept last year (possibly oct) I updated drivers and have had problems ever since. My pc temp is fine, gpu temp is fine, but I get weird BSoDs and graphic errors.

In FFXIV, when I'd spam Bliz 2 for AoE in fates, my pc would randomly freeze, black screen, for 10-60 secs occasionally, and then work fine. In XIV, the game just hangs up. Even just having Firefox open in the background will cause this.

The new update seems to have fixed most of this for me but I still get the odd hangs in xi where the game just freezes (sound still plays, but screen is frozen) and I have to kill the game in task manager.

Do you use motionjoy with a ps3 controller by chance? The game freezing or outright crashing seems to be a common problem from my experience as well as my friends' who use it.
No, I don't use MotionJoy.
FFXI is generally more stable on my integrated video card, but it is very, VERY slow. I also appear to be prone to disconnecting due to a "networking error" (according to the FFXI error code) when I'm on my integrated card.

So I downloaded BlueScreenView to look up my BSOD errors:
http://i.imgur.com/iIMN9zZ.png
http://i.imgur.com/FqbA7FB.png

Some quick searching says it's a voltage error (usually to the graphics card), but I find that a bit hard to believe as FFXI is the only thing to cause the errors/BSODs.
 Asura.Tymoris
Server: Asura
user: Tymoris
By Asura.Tymoris 2014-04-27 13:07:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Judging from the Bug check string it seems it's memory allocation. So more than likely incompatibility between ffxi and the graphics card.
The only other thing I can think of is going to the nvdia control panel and have the graphics be controlled by the card instead of "application controlled".
By Jetackuu 2014-04-27 13:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless you system is really old I don't see why you should be having an issue running it on an integrated card, even the HD3000 should run it just fine.

download vmware player and give it a whirl, if you need an OS disc I'll dig around for my links.
 Sylph.Shipp
Server: Sylph
user: Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-04-27 13:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Unless you system is really old I don't see why you should be having an issue running it on an integrated card, even the HD3000 should run it just fine.

download vmware player and give it a whirl, if you need an OS disc I'll dig around for my links.

Eh, I thought this same thing. Tried to install to a 2012 laptop (just for internet use and Netflix) and the game runs like 15 fps. Desktops probably have capable integrated cards normally, but I was flabbergasted by the laptop not being able to run the game smoothly. Lol
By Jetackuu 2014-04-27 14:01:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Odd as I've gotten it to run fine on one, maybe it just didn't have enough ram allocated.

or possibly the driver version.

the 3000 is a bit old now, the 4000 should be able to handle it though, I'm pretty sure I've even done it, I don't have it installed on my laptop currently (as it's in a VM) or I'd switch over to integrated and give it a whirl (has a dual video card).

I'm really happy with my setup now when I play, have 3 24" monitors and can sandbox each with their own controller, could do each their own keyboard as well if I felt like digging out 2 more usb keyboards.
 Lakshmi.Dyshonest
By Lakshmi.Dyshonest 2014-04-28 21:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I've still been crashing a lot. Trying one more thing: Removing my laptop battery.

For the better part of the last two years my laptop battery has been more or less dead, it holds a charge for about 5-10 minutes if it's not plugged in, and whenever I go into my battery menu it says it's "at the end of its life", or something.

If faulty memory could be a cause, I don't see why a faulty battery can't be one.

So let's see how this goes! I'll update later.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-28 21:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Dyshonest said: »

If faulty memory could be a cause, I don't see why a faulty battery can't be one.
Because the one is actually important as long as you have power, the other isn't.

You should also check to see what background applications you have running, over the years some people have had very strange issues with some of their bloatware apps interfering with their drivers.

I believe Dell and Asus were 2 of the bigger culprits, but I don't really remember 100%
 Lakshmi.Dyshonest
By Lakshmi.Dyshonest 2014-04-28 22:13:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Well that was a quick one. Computer froze this time, no BSOD or FFXI crash. Same effect as a BSOD though, I still have to cut it off via the power button...

I don't have any bloatware on my PC.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-28 22:58:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Dyshonest said: »
Well that was a quick one. Computer froze this time, no BSOD or FFXI crash. Same effect as a BSOD though, I still have to cut it off via the power button...

I don't have any bloatware on my PC.

I'd really check your PSU and or bad caps on your motherboard at this point, unless you have enough parts laying around to do a full check on another system, it's about all you can do.

(edit, I got really spoiled when working in an HP only shop where they mostly had the 8000, 8200 series sff PC's, all the same parts, really easy to troubleshoot with "known good" parts.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-04-28 23:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

which error code is the blue screen giving you?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Dyshonest
By Lakshmi.Dyshonest 2014-04-28 23:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
which error code is the blue screen giving you?
http://i.imgur.com/iIMN9zZ.png
http://i.imgur.com/FqbA7FB.png

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (0x000000D1)
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-04-28 23:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

nvm I read up. ntoskrnl.exe being listed tells me this issue is rooted deeper than just FFXI and driver issues. Run a CPU+Memory stability test, like Prime95. Also run a graphics stability test like Heaven benchmark or Valley benchmark.

FFXI and driver crashes shouldn't be causing you BSODs, especially not this frequently. Something else is amiss, such as faulty hardware or voltage regulator5s. Could also be other programs on your PC that aren't playing nice with FFXI/Nvidia drivers, or corrupted Windows files.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-28 23:48:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't think about it until now, but the caps on the card could be gone too, if not on the motherboard.

I honestly almost never deal with faulty hardware of that level though, somehow I usually luck out. I have 1 board with blown caps, and it's a 2.26ghz p4, that the only reason I keep it around is to one day replace the caps so I have something to load my ps2's hdd with if it gets corrupted/needs replaced. (need a native ide connection, or at least a good adapter, the one I tried didn't work for ***for the software).
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2014-04-29 01:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry if this was mentioned or asked already. Is this a brand new card or an existing one. My recommendation is to simply get it RMA'ed.

I had a very similar issue with the Kernal Driver generic error. I beat myself up thinking it was a voltage problem, to GPU overheating. I did nearly everything to troubleshoot it ranging from multiple drivers to literally buying a new PSU thinking that was it. In the end, I said f this, and RMA"ed it since I bought it recently.

If you have the option, RMA it and hope that you just have a crappy card.
 Lakshmi.Dyshonest
By Lakshmi.Dyshonest 2014-04-29 05:52:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
nvm I read up. ntoskrnl.exe being listed tells me this issue is rooted deeper than just FFXI and driver issues. Run a CPU+Memory stability test, like Prime95. Also run a graphics stability test like Heaven benchmark or Valley benchmark.

FFXI and driver crashes shouldn't be causing you BSODs, especially not this frequently. Something else is amiss, such as faulty hardware or voltage regulator5s. Could also be other programs on your PC that aren't playing nice with FFXI/Nvidia drivers, or corrupted Windows files.
I ran Prime95 for a few hours, no errors or anything from it.

I also ran the two benchmarks:
Heaven Benchmark:
Basic settings: 7-20 FPS depending on the scene (average is 11-16); temperature averages 78-81C
Maxed settings: 4-14 FPS depending on the scene (average is 4-6); temperature averages 78-81C

Valley Benchmark:
Basic settings: 11-26 FPS depending on the scene (average is 15-16); temperature averages 75-86C (not sure why it was so high)
Maxed settings: 7-11 FPS depending on the scene (average is 7-8); temperature averages 75-78C

Slow, but it didn't crash at all, nor were there any graphical anomalies like artifacts or tearing. In fact they look very nice... just slow, lol.

Temperatures above are reported from the Benchmark programs. I'm not sure how accurate it is, though, because my laptop doesn't feel hot and SpeedFan immediately after only reporting 60C or so for the GPU and everything else.

Bahamut.Dannyl said: »
Sorry if this was mentioned or asked already. Is this a brand new card or an existing one. My recommendation is to simply get it RMA'ed.

I had a very similar issue with the Kernal Driver generic error. I beat myself up thinking it was a voltage problem, to GPU overheating. I did nearly everything to troubleshoot it ranging from multiple drivers to literally buying a new PSU thinking that was it. In the end, I said f this, and RMA"ed it since I bought it recently.

If you have the option, RMA it and hope that you just have a crappy card.
I'm using a laptop, so the video card likely isn't replaceable.
(According to some searches, in some laptops it is replaceable but you would have to check with the manufacturer, in my case, Dell)
By Jetackuu 2014-04-29 13:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm assuming that you have software that controls which video card your program is using, no?

(sorry, I don't have time to backread right now).

Have you tried brute forcing it to use the high end card for everything?
 Lakshmi.Dyshonest
By Lakshmi.Dyshonest 2014-04-29 21:23:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I'm assuming that you have software that controls which video card your program is using, no?

(sorry, I don't have time to backread right now).

Have you tried brute forcing it to use the high end card for everything?
Yeah. I have three options in my Nvidia Control Panel for what video card to use. Here they are:
Auto-select:
Uses both integrated and the Nvidia card. Still results in an FFXI crash/BSOD because it uses the Nvidia card.

High-performance Nvidia processor:
Forces all programs to exclusively run on the Nvidia card. Results in the usual FFXI crashes and BSODs.

Integrated graphics:
No crashing or BSODs. Generally runs pretty slow (a good day it runs at about 20FPS, a bad day 10-15 or less). I get some odd disconnection error somewhat frequently that tells me to check my internet cables to make sure they're in right (when I get the error my internet is never actually out).

Integrated is the most stable, but it's slow, and I can't really think of why the internet error happens on integrated unless it's just mere coincidence.

One of my friends suggested to reformat completely (again), and try FFXI as the only installed program to rule out installation conflicts, as that would just leave it down to hardware failure, basically.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-29 21:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I forget, did you run those graphics stress tests already?
 Lakshmi.Dyshonest
By Lakshmi.Dyshonest 2014-04-29 21:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. They ran rather slowly (even on Basic), and heated up the computer (according to the Benchmarks anyway, SpeedFan reported much lower temperatures), but didn't cause any issues like crashing or BSODs and there was no graphical anomalies (screen tearing, artifacting, discoloring, dead pixels, etc), it was just slow.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-29 21:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

did you make sure to run the test with the nvidia gpu selected in the panel?
 Lakshmi.Dyshonest
By Lakshmi.Dyshonest 2014-04-29 21:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. The only time I don't use my Nvidia card exclusively is if I'm about to play FFXI, as that's more stable with integrated.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-04-29 21:57:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you tried shadows/weather off with graphics stabilization on? It's not ideal, but there's definitely some conflict between them and many nvidia cards and your symptoms are quite similar.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-29 22:18:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Go ahead and set up a vmware virtual machine and give it a whirl:

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/6_0

if you need a .iso for the OS:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/where-can-i-download-windows-7-iso-i-have-a/7d964b05-2be9-4800-bc7f-3ca30356fc3d

If it runs fine fully virtualized, I'd say it's probably the driver.