Are Republican Voters Paranoid?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Are Republican Voters Paranoid?
Are Republican Voters Paranoid?
First Page 2 3 4
 Sylph.Michizane
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Michizane
By Sylph.Michizane 2012-11-14 07:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I live in the Suburbs of St. Louis County and this election cycle I decided to volunteer and work for the Missouri Democratic Party to help get Sen. Claire McCaskill re-elected. I mainly went out canvasing to help ID and persuade voters for Claire McCaskill. When doing this of course I ran into some hardcore republican voters. Which was fine for the most part, but I started noticing something on my second day canvasing.

Every time I knocked on the door of a republican voter they would only half open their door, question me way I was there, and as soon as I said I was with the Dem. they said go away and closed the door. Some took it a step farther went on wild rants, and others even threaten me. I never saw this at any of the houses voting Dem. Even the Rep. who were voting Mitt Romney, but not Todd Akin acted like sane normal people. I know most people are going to say "Oh, those are the dumb redneck republicans..." However the house with the loonies were only in extremely wealthy subdivisions.

So this begs me to ask the question, are hardcore Republicans voters insane? I mean who shouts at a volunteer "The Dems want to kill us all!" or even threaten to have their husband beat me up if I came there ever again. This isn't normal behavior.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-11-14 07:33:31
Link | Quote | Reply

In death throes, every man is paranoid.
[+]
 Sylph.Michizane
By Sylph.Michizane 2012-11-14 07:34:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »
In death throes, every man is paranoid.

That doesn't quite work here...
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-11-14 07:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Every time? Every single time? And you never - never - saw this at a Democrat's house?
[+]
 Sylph.Michizane
By Sylph.Michizane 2012-11-14 07:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Terminus said: »
Every time? Every single time? And you never - never - saw this at a Democrat's house?

Of the ones I went too, never. I can say that with 100% certainty. I can't say crazy Dem. aren't out there, but i never ran into them.

*EDIT* Btw I know what I saw. I was there, you weren't.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-11-14 07:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

1) small sample size

2) are you from an ethnic group/age group/look visually threatening to someone who might be intimidating to a different ethnicity/age group/appearance?

3) i don't trust anyone who comes to my door that i don't know.... not because i'm afraid but because i hate having my time wasted. i know a lot of witnesses/mormons who I absolutely love talking to when i have time..... but not door to door.

Also: I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods but I was literally getting at least 5 calls a day (on my unlisted number) pestering me about who to vote for. If someone marched up my steps and tried to convince me that ice cream tastes good I might have yelled at them.

Anyhow that might just be me :x
[+]
 Asura.Squal
Server: Asura
By Asura.Squal 2012-11-14 07:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Michizane said: »
I live in the Suburbs of St. Louis County and this election cycle I decided to volunteer and work for the Missouri Democratic Party to help get Sen. Claire McCaskill re-elected. I mainly went out canvasing to help ID and persuade voters for Claire McCaskill. When doing this of course I ran into some hardcore republican voters. Which was fine for the most part, but I started noticing something on my second day canvasing.

Every time I knocked on the door of a republican voter they would only half open their door, question me way I was there, and as soon as I said I was with the Dem. they said go away and closed the door. Some took it a step farther went on wild rants, and others even threaten me. I never saw this at any of the houses voting Dem. Even the Rep. who were voting Mitt Romney, but not Todd Akin acted like sane normal people. I know most people are going to say "Oh, those are the dumb redneck republicans..." However the house with the loonies were only in extremely wealthy subdivisions.

So this begs me to ask the question, are hardcore Republicans voters insane? I mean who shouts at a volunteer "The Dems want to kill us all!" or even threaten to have their husband beat me up if I came there ever again. This isn't normal behavior.

Is this the first time you've left your house? There's *** everywhere of all types. There's Republican ***, Democrat ***, rich ***, poor ***, white ***, black ***, straight ***, gay ***, Christian ***, Atheist ***.
[+]
 Sylph.Michizane
By Sylph.Michizane 2012-11-14 07:53:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
1) small sample size

Of course... Never said it wasn't >.>

2) are you from an ethnic group/age group/look visually threatening to someone who might be intimidating to a different ethnicity/age group/appearance?

White American in late 20s. Not a threat by any means.

3) i don't trust anyone who comes to my door that i don't know.... not because i'm afraid but because i hate having my time wasted. i know a lot of witnesses/mormons who I absolutely love talking to when i have time..... but not door to door.

Didn't go door to door. Houses would be removed from list if they said they were GOP. And alot had already been knock out by the time I joined.

Also: I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods but I was literally getting at least 5 calls a day (on my unlisted number) pestering me about who to vote for. If someone marched up my steps and tried to convince me that ice cream tastes good I might have yelled at them.

Ya, we did have a problem with that, however we only went to someones house or called multitple times if they said they were Dem. To make sure we got them out to vote. We even had vans to drive people to the polls if need be.

Anyhow that might just be me :x
 Sylph.Michizane
By Sylph.Michizane 2012-11-14 07:54:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Squal said: »

Is this the first time you've left your house? There's *** everywhere of all types. There's Republican ***, Democrat ***, rich ***, poor ***, white ***, black ***, straight ***, gay ***, Christian ***, Atheist ***.

This isn't the same as being an ***. I thought you would know that sence your statement clearly shows your one. :)
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2012-11-14 08:11:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Why don't you repeat the experiment, except this time claim you're from the GOP. I have a feeling you'll be disappointed with your current conclusions.
[+]
 Asura.Squal
By Asura.Squal 2012-11-14 08:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm an *** for pointing out that some people are just ***? Mmmkay.

Maybe you're the *** for thinking it was a good idea to go around knocking on people's doors trying to convince them who to vote for.
[+]
 Sylph.Michizane
By Sylph.Michizane 2012-11-14 08:19:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Squal said: »
I'm an *** for pointing out that some people are just ***? Mmmkay.

Maybe you're the *** for thinking it was a good idea to go around knocking on people's doors trying to convince them who to vote for.

Okay.... You're a loony...
 Sylph.Michizane
By Sylph.Michizane 2012-11-14 08:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Why don't you repeat the experiment, except this time claim you're from the GOP. I have a feeling you'll be disappointed with your current conclusions.

I don't get what is everyones problem is with my observation. I stated what I saw. And I asked if a question. I didn't make a statement. Grow up.
[+]
By volkom 2012-11-14 08:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm pretty sure those people who you went door to door soliciting to them that they should vote for the democrat party probably already get enough through television/mail/on the internet
[+]
 Sylph.Michizane
By Sylph.Michizane 2012-11-14 08:25:10
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
i'm pretty sure those people who you went door to door soliciting to them that they should vote for the democrat party probably already get enough through television/mail/on the internet

Ya... Please read my previous posts...
 Sylph.Michizane
By Sylph.Michizane 2012-11-14 08:26:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Clearly none of you understand how political campaigning works. So I'm just going to go...
By volkom 2012-11-14 08:28:08
Link | Quote | Reply

get enough of it on tv and the constant youtube advertisements. and the mail.
[+]
 Alexander.Sumo
Server: Alexander
user: sumo
By Alexander.Sumo 2012-11-14 08:30:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe it might be a little difficult for anyone to answer your question. Very few of us, perhaps none, have the experience that you have now of going door to door selling/campaigning for anything larger than a candy bar. It may just be that some Republicans in St. Louis county really are just nuts. If you are serious about finding out, i'd suggest running the experiment from the other side and campaign for the Republican side. Also try neighboring counties, ethnicities, age groups, etc.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2012-11-14 08:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not that extremist republicans are paranoid, it's that they're *** paranoid. big difference.

Each one of them feels that they own the united states. If you've ever heard the comments it's always "It's not my America anymore" and other backwards *** like it. They continually try to evade performing a responsibility to pay taxes (which again they have this unfounded belief that the money owed the government is theirs) which goes to pay for the everyday things which are taken for granted at unprecedented levels amongst all citizens. Even the Democrats. And the funny thing is, there are already countless ways to reduce how much personal and business taxes are collected.

The people are taxed for using a unified form of government printed currency, which pays for armed services, public roadways, infrastructure, and so on.
[+]
 Asura.Squal
By Asura.Squal 2012-11-14 08:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »

I don't get what is everyones problem is with my observation. I stated what I saw. And I asked if a question. I didn't make a statement. Grow up.

It's funny you say grow up, because that's exactly what I was thinking after reading your original post. You thought you were going to go out and make a difference, and when you found that nobody gave a ***you blamed it on them being Republican lunatics. You can't be so naive to think people were going to invite you in, hear your spiel, and thank you for waking them from their dark, cold, conservative existence.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2012-11-14 08:54:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
It's not that extremist republicans are paranoid, it's that they're *** paranoid. big difference.

Each one of them feels that they own the united states. If you've ever heard the comments it's always "It's not my America anymore" and other backwards *** like it. They continually try to evade performing a responsibility to pay taxes (which again they have this unfounded belief that the money owed the government is theirs) which goes to pay for the everyday things which are taken for granted at unprecedented levels amongst all citizens. Even the Democrats. And the funny thing is, there are already countless ways to reduce how much personal and business taxes are collected.

The people are taxed for using a unified form of government printed currency, which pays for armed services, public roadways, infrastructure, and so on.

Hasty generalisation. Watch.

It's not that extremist democrats are stupid, it's that they're *** stupid. big difference.

Each one of them feels entitled to everything in the united states without work. If you've ever heard the comments it's always "It's all my America" and other backwards *** like it. They continually try to evade performing a responsibility to work for their money (which again they have this unfounded belief that the money in the government is theirs) which goes to pay for the everyday things which are taken for granted at unprecedented levels amongst all citizens. Even the Republicans. And the funny thing is, there are already countless ways to get welfare and government assistance.

See? It doesn't add anything to the conversation other than separate people solely on partisanship. You're judging the entire group instead of individuals and it's stupid.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2012-11-14 08:56:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Now, to be fair, being a Republican doesn't give these isolated lunatics the right to threaten another person's safety, as he hasn't done them any harm, nor has he intruded in any such way. All he's actually done, is ask for their time, to see who they were voting for, and why.

The flipside is, people hate being bothered. Especially when they aren't out soliciting their own ideas or opinions. If information or a question hasn't come from them, they don't wanna hear about it from someone else.

Quote:

Amongst the sane, this is most definetly not normal behavior. This isn't about ALL the republicans, only the extremist hardcore ones screaming nonsensical ***.

I'm sure there have been quite a few families and other various individuals who were happy to say they were voting Republican, state a reason or two, wish him well, and close the door in polite manner because they are in fact, good people.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2012-11-14 08:56:02
Link | Quote | Reply

are hardcore Republicans insane?

yes... yes we are
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2012-11-14 09:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I've yet to hear of any extremist (anywhere for that matter) who wasn't paranoid about something.

I also never questioned their individual intelligence, nor was it a hasty response. Extremist Democrats are the same. Also, it's not the whole group, it's an isolated group from the rest of the pack. I don't personally lunk in moderate republicans with the extremist group, simply because that's just really *** stupid.

Also, I've never met a Democrat, moderate or extreme, say HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE *** like "it's all my America". They continually observe the fact that it's the People's America.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2012-11-14 09:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By kenshynofshiva 2012-11-14 09:02:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The best example of the nutjobs at work:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57548600/cops-ariz-woman-runs-over-husband-for-not-voting/

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2012-11-14 09:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

/sips coffee

well.... these walls aren't going to tin foil themselves..

/gets to work
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2012-11-14 09:08:59
Link | Quote | Reply

When I did the census back in 2010, most people complied. But there were a couple people who yelled at me and one person went on a rant on how the census was killing the country, and I was like, "Dude, the census has been around as long as the country has..." That same guy refused to give me information, so every day I would go to his house, knock on his door, then give him a "Sorry we missed you" note. This was like every day for a month. He never gave his information to me, but it still made me laugh my *** off.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2012-11-14 09:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
First Page 2 3 4