Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Gear Advice
Gear Advice
 Cerberus.Simplywill
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Simplywill 2009-12-18 11:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi Everyone,
Looking for advice on how I should spend my time improving my SAM's dmg and equipment for non-merit settings.

WS Set

My character is Hume and for the most part I'm going SAM/NIN to events. I have capped Store TP merits, capped meditate merits, 1 level in overwhelm, and working on getting gkt merits capped (@3 currently). While doing limbus runs, dynamis, nyzul assault or even soloing mobs FOV pages on vollbow (bunnies and lizards), I am surprised at how often I miss WS even with Marinara Pizza +1 or cheap sushi (bream specifically).

I'll be swapping out Myochin haidates for Shura Haidates soon, but my concern with that is that it won't be enough to compensate for missing my WS. For a while I tried to WS in Byakkos Haidate simply for the Acc bonus, and noticed an improvement in connecting WS, but this isn't an optimal long term solution. 15 dex should translate to around the same +acc as NQ Shura Haidates I believe.

For my back armor I'm working on augmenting a smilodon cape +1 with +acc. (I've seen +4-5 acc capes). I'm not sure if this is better or worse than +attack from ammemet +1 or foragers. (I TP in amemet +1). But I thought getting +acc on a smilodon +1 cape would help with connecting WS. Also is smilodon +1 w/ +4 acc better or worse than amemet +1?

For the MKD head, i've been debating these configurations:

1) +6 str +2haste +15 ws acc
2) +4 str +15 ws acc +5 attack +10 acc
3) +4 str +15 ws acc +2% ws dmg +4 agi

I haven't seen anything on ffxiah forums comparing these 3 configurations. It seems as though +4 str +15ws acc +2%ws dmg is favored though. Which of these, keeping in mind my problem with acc, would benefit YGK dmg the most? I've been leaning towards +10 acc +15 ws acc +4 str +5 attack as a comprise for Hagun, PentaThrust, and a decent piece for Tachi: Rana.

For neck armor, I also have a PCC which I TP in, but am unsure of which to use for WS. I have sea access and will get around to a justice torque or snow gorget eventually, but as of now, only PCC and Chivalrous chain are what i have.

I don't have a ton of money, so stuff like ancient torque, toreadors, HQ Shura Haidates are not really an option, at least not all at once. Though I am saving up for a Haubergeon +1 right now. Is getting a haub +1 the most cost efficient gil/benefit option I have now? or is there some other item I'm overlooking? Other Items on my list of things to buy/obtain are Triumph Earring and Flame Ring. Comparing the cost to what I gain, Haub +1 seemed to be the best.

Lots of questions, I know, but I'd appreciate input on any one of them, if not all. Thanks in advance.
 Odin.Feppharony
Server: Odin
user: iceman360
By Odin.Feppharony 2009-12-18 11:57:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose that is your WS equip, I only have 2 suggestions. first of all KO is better WS body piece than haub, and 2nd go for shura haidate for your legs.

for AMK.
1) +6 str +2haste +15 ws acc
* this is my first choice
2) +4 str +15 ws acc +5 attack +10 acc
* although this one is very good too, if you have unlocked rana, go for this one.

oh yeah and these too... "Triumph Earring and Flame Ring" you can add bushinomimi if you want to.

I do suggest to always sub thief. SAM/THF (Impossible to gauge) well atleast for me ^^,
 Odin.Ahligieri
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2009-12-18 12:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm unsure of the maths but parse yourself if you can, I doubt your melee acc is capped. Which would put pcc above anything else (cept ancient torque), even justice torque. Swap in jtorque only when doing so keeps you at capped acc. You probably just had an unlucky streak with your YGK, as their acc is capped (all 1hit ws are I believe). Gorget will also win over just about anything for ws. Also get a tiphia sting or lightning bow +1.

I'd go with #3 MKD, but I'm meriting polearm, have a cuchulain's and some usukane. #2 miiiight be good for your polearm ws build for the time being. I don't know how cuchu/haub+1 is priced on your server, but when I was making my decision of cuchu vs haub +1, I went with cuchu. If acc is an issue I figured 8 would beat out 2.75. But they were priced the same for me at the time. Smilodon+1 with acc is better than amement, again, only if your acc isn't capped.

Also you'll want some 3STR feet, and I see you don't have any dual wielders. Bushinomimi?
 Odin.Ahligieri
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2009-12-18 12:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Imo I wouldn't even touch /thf unless trick attacking was absolutely necessary. And with the tanks I'm around nowadays it usually isn't. Sneak attack ws isn't going to be doing much better (if at all) than overwhelm ws, which you need to be in the front to get. Learn to sam/war and stay alive, and your groups should love you coming as that.
 Cerberus.Simplywill
By Cerberus.Simplywill 2009-12-18 12:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Feppharony said:
I suppose that is your WS equip, I only have 2 suggestions. first of all KO is better WS body piece than haub, and 2nd go for shura haidate for your legs.

I do suggest to always sub thief. SAM/THF (Impossible to gauge) well atleast for me ^^,

Yup, that is my ws set up, hence WS Set above it =P In response to getting a KO, I've been underwhelmed with my results with it. I seem to miss WS even more when I swap it in for weapon skills. (note mentioned being sam/nin for most events). I've discussed this with other SAMs, and KO seems to really shine for /thf, but for my uses, I've decided to put getting it on hold until I get other items out of the way first.

Odin.Ahligieri said:
I'm unsure of the maths but parse yourself if you can, I doubt your melee acc is capped.

How do i figure out if I reached the acc cap? Any recommendations on where to get a parser? I've heard of KParser, but for the life of me I can't get it to work. Any guides anyone can link to?

Odin.Ahligieri said:
Also you'll want some 3STR feet, and I see you don't have any dual wielders. Bushinomimi?

I WS in Hachiman Sune-ates primarily because I already have them for 6 hit build on my tp set. I have full store tp merits, rajas, hachiman feet, and brutal for +11. I suppose getting rutter sabatons would be a good boost to dmg and is relatively easy to attain. Bushinomimi, I'd love to get but getting an alliance of competent enough people has proved....difficult to say the least.
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-18 12:30:08
Link | Quote | Reply

"3) +4 str +15 ws acc +2% ws dmg +4 agi "
This is your best choice for Y/G/K easily.

"I'll be swapping out Myochin haidates for Shura Haidates soon, but my concern with that is that it won't be enough to compensate for missing my WS."
I'm pretty sure your WS acc is fine. Are you parsing or eyeballing? 1hit ws get a huge acc bonus. Even w/o pizza, you should have no problems w/ ws acc on a large percentage of mobs in the game, provided there's nothing like flash, or evasion bonus TP move interfering.

"For a while I tried to WS in Byakkos Haidate simply for the Acc bonus, and noticed an improvement in connecting WS, but this isn't an optimal long term solution. 15 dex should translate to around the same +acc as NQ Shura Haidates I believe."
15 dex is a lot more acc than shura haidate, but again, you shouldn't even need to worry about acc. My Y/G/K build has +0 acc in it, and I don't have trouble.

Again, most of your questions revolve around ws acc, which you shouldn't need at all. Acc cap is 95%, which means you'll miss on average 1/20 WS. Since sam is a job that can WS very often, it's not uncommon to see these misses often since it doesn't take too long to do 20 WS. If you're eyeballing, this could confuse you to think you need a lot more wsacc, but in reality, I think you're fine. You should try parsing your ws acc.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-18 12:33:22
Link | Quote | Reply

As for your questions about parsers http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50852&page=27
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-12-18 12:39:00
Link | Quote | Reply

+4 str +15 ws acc +2% ws dmg +4 agi

Is by far the best WS head you can get for GKT SAM. 2% will beat 2 STR any day of the week.

+4 str +15 ws acc +5 attack +10 acc

Is viable for Penta thrust, but still 2% will beat 5 attack and you can probably get the 10 acc else where, but if you are desperate for acc then this is and acceptable option.

As for WS accuracy, I suggest you read this, so you are likely to be near to 95% accuracy on WS. If you don't believe it, I suggest you parse and see.

As for upgrades to your WS set:
Osode
5 STR ring
Shura legs
WS gorget
Forager's (for higher def mobs like gods, jailers, bosses etc)
Triumphs Earring
3 STR feet (if you don't need the sTP for your 6hit)

Edit beaten but veg
 Cerberus.Simplywill
By Cerberus.Simplywill 2009-12-18 12:40:07
Link | Quote | Reply

@Vegetto (for some reason quote feature isn't working)
Right, I realize eyeballing is a terrible way of gauging effectiveness of different equipment lay outs. Was going to ask you for a recommendation for a parser but you already responded. Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

If you made my option 3 for MKD Y/G/K head, would you use that for Penta Thrust as well? or should i look into picking up an alternative? The only other armor piece I have is Shr.Znr.Kabuto and the #3 helm. Someone mentioned Hissho Hachimaki to me about a WS Head piece.

*edited* keeping in mind i have tachi rana as well.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2009-12-18 12:43:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Overall, the Champion's Galea (STR4/WSACC15 paired with AGI4/WSDMG2%) is pretty much the best WS head for Samurai period, though Hissho Hachimaki was the ideal piece for Penta Thrust before the expansion came out, so if you want to use the expansion head piece for something different, there's your alternative.

As for weapon skill accuracy: The only fight where I notice my WSACC (on Y/G/K) being irregular is when I do Dark Ixion without any accuracy buffs at all, and even then that's changed from "rarely", to "never" now thanks to the C.Galea's additional 12 ACC (compared to Gnadbhod's Helm).
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-12-18 12:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Simplywill said:
@Vegetto (for some reason quote feature isn't working)
Right, I realize eyeballing is a terrible way of gauging effectiveness of different equipment lay outs. Was going to ask you for a recommendation for a parser but you already responded. Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

If you made my option 3 for MKD Y/G/K head, would you use that for Penta Thrust as well? or should i look into picking up an alternative? The only other armor piece I have is Shr.Znr.Kabuto and the #3 helm. Someone mentioned Hissho Hachimaki to me about a WS Head piece.

*edited* keeping in mind i have tachi rana as well.

+4 str +15 ws acc +2% ws dmg +4 agi

Is still the best damage piece for Penta and more acc than you can get on any other head (barring the same hat with 10 acc aug), I would suggest you get the +2% and find the acc else where (but that's subjective).

Kparse is probably the best parser atm (1 of only 2) if you google it you will find it.
 Cerberus.Simplywill
By Cerberus.Simplywill 2009-12-18 12:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, so I'll work on getting the +4 str +15 ws acc +2% ws dmg +4 agi head. What about my back armor? Assuming I'm able to get +4-5 acc mod on my smildon cape +1, would that be better to use than say a foragers? Cuchulain's mantle i'd love, but is out of my price range at the moment.

I know STR is 80% modifier for YGK, but 2 str and 4 acc versus 15 attack?
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-12-18 13:09:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Again the acc has 0 to do with it.

Smild is better than Forager's on merit lv mobs ect. on anything with terribly high defense (JoL or other HNM for example), then Forager's will be what to use.