users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Samurai - Y/G/K help
Samurai - Y/G/K help
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-12-05 22:12:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Helder said:
yea i guess if you don't /WAR it might not be worth it because of berserk.

Always /WAR as the benefits are too great and if you get in the ***use Seigan as it's much better than Utsusemi anyway.
 Remora.Laphine
Server: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2009-12-05 23:24:49
Link | Quote | Reply

perhaps a bit off topic but man, sam is raising my interest nowadays. I would love to try a pole build or a /drg with gk.

especially a /drg gk.

I recently discoverd that my drg's jump/high jump was doing 20% of my melee damage as /sam and on high haste scenarios. Hell, this is greater than double attack will ever do. A sam /drg spamming jumps might be the craziest ***on the face of the planet. I dont know if the jumps got the same strength on subs, but this sure is compelling.
 Odin.Ahligieri
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2009-12-05 23:56:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd reckon jump strength is of secondary importance, and jump frequency being first. Which for /drg would be considerably less since no super jump, and no meritable jumps. Still, 5% more haste, permanent (small) attack and accuracy bonus is nothing to scoff at.

...and it's just flat out one of the most fun job combos to play as. Sadly I don't get to play it often because if I don't need /nin, I need provoke :(
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-12-06 00:45:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Super Jump does no damage bro. On the other hand, Jump and High Jump merits are awesome for your DPS, so you're still right as far as decreased frequency as compared to DRG main.
 Odin.Ahligieri
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2009-12-06 02:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, word. My DRG's only 37 so I never got that far lol. I was also wrong about jumps strength not being important. Haste on it means nothing since it's a ja, forgot that for a second.

That's how out of touch I am with /drg :(. I need an excuse to go play with it.
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-12-09 15:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Titox said:
Yuki > gekko > gekko > kasha > rana > gekko
This looks hell of awesome and I want to try it ASAP.

Valefor.Welfare said:
[Insanity and TLDR.]
 Bismarck.Stephano
Server: Bismarck
user: Stephano
By Bismarck.Stephano 2009-12-19 08:11:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Polearm SAMs can beat other relic users with a considerable margin

This is true.

Nandil = Bravura WAR

Buffs = Double march / chaos + samurai roll

My TP set has even improved since then to up my accuracy to around 92% with 17% haste. (no byakko pants yet)
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-12-19 09:20:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You took a lot of damage... full time hasso?
 Bismarck.Stephano
By Bismarck.Stephano 2009-12-19 09:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

*rolls eyes* Noooo :P

Actually, I'd say about 60% of the time. I tried to keep it up most of the time unless I opened on a new bird with a WS, then I'd pop seigan/third eye.

Holding hate so much gets annoying having to fulltime Seigan, but actually I'm starting to get used to it as I work more on my accuracy in my TP build and no longer really need to fulltime hasso. Something I obviously need is byakko's haidate... the extra haste compared to my ASA legs will do me good, but the 15 DEX might help cap accuracy put my crit rate near everyone else's. Sad part is, it's even merited. Perhaps it's the fact that I'm Elvaan and have very low base DEX.
 Carbuncle.Callicantzaros
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Callicantzaros 2009-12-19 09:54:15
Link | Quote | Reply

and where would one get one of these parsers?
 Bismarck.Stephano
By Bismarck.Stephano 2009-12-19 09:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't remember where I got DirectParse, the parser I just posted a sample from, but here's Kparser, one that is new to me and I'm still experimenting with.

http://code.google.com/p/kparser/

Try googling "DirectParse FFXI", I think that's what I did.
 Asura.Zeberdee
Server: Asura
user: Zeberdee
By Asura.Zeberdee 2009-12-19 10:04:47
Link | Quote | Reply

All im saying is. U seen Welfare's SAM?

enough said.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [44 days between previous and next post]
 Unicorn.Ged
Server: Unicorn
user: crandy01
By Unicorn.Ged 2010-02-01 14:54:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I watched your video. The best penta i saw you do is 1163. Like i said on my above statement that was my avg with GK ws. Dont get me wrong, i have seen some baddass dmg on colibri with polearms. I myself have a tomoe and only pull it out on the weapon resist floor in limbus. Ive tried every setup possible with regards to polearm ranging from more acc, more dex, more crit, more str etc but i still dont outdo my GK. It might have to do with the fact that im a taru but i doubt it b/c taru have the second highest dex in the game and therefore have natural better crits than everyone cept mithra. As far as str goes i have tons of that so thats definately not the problem. And since the mods for penta are str/dex i dont really see what else i could do to up the dmg.(Also keep in mind that I am a multihit ws hater, i prefer GS drk to scythe drk,(yes i know im gonna get hated on for this comment but again from my own experience my GS has always outperformed my scythe. 6/6 merits in each) GA war to dual wield war, etc.) If you have any suggestions help me out. Until then I will stick with what i know works...Sidewinder as /rng ftw. Also do you have the polearm torque from sea? if so im sure that helps a ton!
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-02-01 15:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
b/c taru have the second highest dex
The only race taru have bettre dex than is elvaan >.>

As for the vid, I popped a 1.4, as shown as the parse, but even after it died, the chat log still flowed for a while after the fight ended because damage was being dealt faster than the chat log can go. As for 1.1k average on gekko, I'd have to see a parse of that, seeing as I've never seen it from any of the other sams, including the relic one, but i may be wrong, would just need to see a parse to confirm it.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [51 days between previous and next post]
By Maeya 2010-03-24 05:55:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Going back to random post on first page, I noticed that when doing y/g/k light, if each ws increases in dmg, the total light dmg at the end is alot higher. I thought it was cool.

Okay so if your pt or w/e has mp to burn, then awesome. Otherwise, calculate your total dmg, then minus your dmg taken. I hate people (Sams and Drks!) that kill themselves for dmg, and then we have downtime. Doesn't make any sense...