Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Tachi rana builds
Tachi rana builds
 Bahamut.Stanflame
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-11-12 19:48:09
Link | Quote | Reply

What type of ws builds should I be using for tachi rana?

Just recently got it and have not tested it out so I am asking.
By Vegetto 2009-11-12 20:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Acc/attack/str. Not a 1hit ws so requires a bit of acc and attack to do well, though it's mainly only to open a SC anyways. Any time it'd be considered a strong WS, you'd be better off swapping to polearm and using penta.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-11-14 01:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

ok
 Hades.Feix
Server: Hades
user: DartX
By Hades.Feix 2009-11-14 01:45:00
Link | Quote | Reply

id probly go with
Head- Shura
Neck-justice(/pcc/chiv)
Ears-bushi/brutal
body-hauby
hands-af+1 or okotes
ring-rajas/acc ring
back-foragers
waist- potent
legs-shura
feet- rutters

not much of a huge difference from your ygk just throw in some extra acc/att over full on str. in merit /war with minuet you should be able to do 1k rana easy. i know ive hit 1.6k rana on greaters with a pretty half assed build using Hagun instead of Onimaru which is obviously better for Rana.

just 2 cents from a nub ._.
 Unicorn.Sedres
Server: Unicorn
user: Sedres
By Unicorn.Sedres 2009-11-14 02:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have Hagun, might not want to worry too much about acc, as the 200% bonus obviously contributes to that in some way. That's not to say neglect it entirely, just make it the focus of your build, especially on merit mobs and the like.
 Ramuh.Valafar
Server: Ramuh
user: Valafar
By Ramuh.Valafar 2009-11-14 02:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

A beautiful thing to note is that a Snow Gorget - your primary Yuki/Gekko neckpiece - also works for Rana, giving you both a hefty acc and damage boost at the cost of no extra inv space. Most WS builds will work fairly nicely for it - The DEX boost on Osode, WSacc on Domaru or straight acc/dex from Haub/+1 all work well. The only other main slot I'd look at would be hands, since the DEX penalty on the Gigas' line of bracelets could potentially hurt on higher end mobs. AF+1 hands are lovely here, ifnot, Okotes serve well too.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Server: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-11-14 02:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

@Feix, wouldn't Byakko's Haidate not be bad for the +15 DEX towards a better crit hit rate? or are you goin with an acc+STR build?

Other than that I can dig the rest of that :D I have similar if not the same for most of that.

I would probably try (acc aside), this is my personal setup, although my rana macro isn't set up like this.

Rindomaru (stp+14, ws acc+6, ws dmg+5%)
Pole Grip
Lightning bow
Wyvern Helm
Chiv Chain
Bushinomimi/Brutal
Kirin's Osode
Either Saotome Kotes/Hydra Finger Gauntlets
Rajas Ring/Ruby Ring
Amemet+1
Warwolf Belt
Byakko's Haidate
Saotome Sune-ate

Thats around
+42 DEX.
+36 STR

I don't like my choice of hand gear at all.. but I'd definitely stay away from those STR bracelets with the -DEX. That'll hurt crit hit rate, and acc for the multi-hits. Any suggestions?

EDIT: crap I completely forgot... the tp mod affects acc not crit hits... correct? If thats the case, I suppose this setup would work but DEX is not near as important...
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-14 02:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Rana can't crit (unless you force the first hit to crit w/ sneak attack)
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-11-14 04:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I need to get snow gorget and some other's to balance out all the jobs have at 75.

One reason i asked about sam builds was because of this area:

Zhayolm Remnants

I usually go in as thf but as I noticed with my static I may be better to go in to an area like this for sam. When I looked a a walk through of the area it , seemed like thf was useless for the area. I mean some mobs are not affected by th4 in there... and we have a dd issue in salvage we need another sam. But for a area like this if you were a thf main with a decent sam ( I know how to play sam I have some merits) would you not want to go on it there?

If we had a another samurai for my static it would not be an issue. I'd stay on thf and do what I usually do feint and help out with whom got what cells and what everyone needs next.

This is how my static looks now

monk,sam,monk,bard,rdm, whm, thf(me). A problem there may be a time when we can't get both monks on at the same time this sucks :(. So either way we want a sam (whom knows the job and as pole arm of course).

But as things are going I find it smarter to just get used to salvage and stay on thf and farm, helping with feint.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-11-14 04:23:19
Link | Quote | Reply

for rana I would not use pallas/or alky the other Y/G/K will need it rana can use okote or AF+1 hands ( I still need these -.-).

I want af+1 hands for penta thrust.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-14 04:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

"But for a area like this if you were a thf main with a decent sam ( I know how to play sam I have some merits) would you not want to go on it there?"

If you plan on doing 0 rampart mobs, sure.

Also: Tachi Jinpu for first floor and all rampart mobs. You won't come close to the dmg w/ rana.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-11-14 04:36:42
Link | Quote | Reply

So if you went to do rampart type mobs in Zhayolm Remnants and did not have a thf there it would be kind of a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE thing to do?

Just guessing. If so... I'm just hoping we find another sam. Who is competent. Yeah of course I'm more useful on my thf thanks to th4 for gear drop and feint. But with a situation we are in... either find another thf with th4 and maybe dd jobs, or just find another sam.

My FL is mostly dead :(. bahamut is closed.
 Remora.Laphine
Server: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2009-11-14 04:44:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats with tachi: rana anyway? When it came out i actually thought it would be better than ygk. It sure has the same mods of raging rush for one and although it cant crit, rana has an acc bonus. Why is it i only see ppl using that for sc? No build for it? IDK multihits should have much more damage potential than single, especially on merit lvl mobs and downward.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-11-14 04:58:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Anything that Tachi Rana is better than Y/G/K on, Penta Thrust will do more than Rana, so you should be using polearm, which reduces Rana to SC only. Not optimal at any time for pure ws dmg though.
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-11-14 05:07:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah two stepping your own darkness is all Rana is honestly any good for, Like vegetto said penta will out do anything else every time.
 Fenrir.Retin
Server: Fenrir
user: Jeniffer
By Fenrir.Retin 2009-11-14 05:56:31
Link | Quote | Reply

For rana my setup is:
Weapon: Hagun
Grip: Pole Grip
Ranged: Lightning Bow +1/Smart Grenade
Head: Hissho Hachimaki(The new augment helm IS better, but I have zero interest in paying 10$ for it)
Body: Haubergeon +1
Back: Cuchulain's Mantle/Charger Mantle
Neck: Justice Torque/Gorget
Hands: Bandomusha's Kote
Waist: Potent Belt(The new Virtous Belt would outdo potent with 12att/4att)
Ear1/2: Brutal/Bushi
Ring1/2: Toreador's/Ulthalam's
Feet: Rutter Sabatons
Legs: Shura Haidate +1

As others have said, rana is mainly for solo darkness, but it's alot of fun to use it in assaults or on lower level mobs where YKG cap, but at that given situation jinpu beats rana so... yeah:) As for gears, I like to stack att/acc for rana and take any str and dex(for acc,crit) who follows on those pieces into my arsenal.
 Fairy.Disc
user: disc
By Fairy.Disc 2009-11-14 05:59:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Stanflame said:
So if you went to do rampart type mobs in Zhayolm Remnants and did not have a thf there it would be kind of a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE thing to do?

Just guessing. If so... I'm just hoping we find another sam. Who is competent. Yeah of course I'm more useful on my thf thanks to th4 for gear drop and feint. But with a situation we are in... either find another thf with th4 and maybe dd jobs, or just find another sam.

You shouldn't need to have a SAM anywhere in Salvage, because it would be better to have a MNK instead. Avoid looking for samurai, they sponge too much.

Also, thief is very very crucial, if not mandatory in Zhayolm for 2F(Lizards Room) and 3F(3 Mamool Ja Rooms if doing 4FN run), running to 6F port up on 5F, saccing 5F gears room, pseudo sac-deaggroing and popping the chariot/gears on 6F. Probably even more things but I forgot.
 Remora.Laphine
Server: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2009-11-14 06:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

But does rana really have better damage potential the ygk? For me it does and especially as /war as most sam do nowadays (as /drg i guess ygk wins then). So why not build for it? If you got your katana at hand why use gekko if you can use rana on merits? Idk, if rana has better damage potential i would gekko only to close darkness every 5min.

Wow and how jinpu beats rana? Magic damage? lol rana is 35% str and 3 hit and jinpu is 40% str and 2 hit. Rana seems to be the winner for me hehe.

on zhaylom Disc said soemthing very interesting. Thf really helps on second floor to get rings and bodies, the third cell drop from those mobs. And if you are lucky enough you wont even need to dupe at the nm.

Now whats with the sam thing? lol my static does drk/drk or drk/drg as tankers/dd and we do very well. Lol before joining them i had never heard of such combos. Any DD can work on salvage.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-11-14 06:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Disc said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:

You shouldn't need to have a SAM anywhere in Salvage, because it would be better to have a MNK instead. Avoid looking for samurai, they sponge too much.

Also, thief is very very crucial, if not mandatory in Zhayolm for 2F(Lizards Room) and 3F(3 Mamool Ja Rooms if doing 4FN run), running to 6F port up on 5F, saccing 5F gears room, pseudo sac-deaggroing and popping the chariot/gears on 6F. Probably even more things but I forgot.

we have 2 monks atm and a sam he was leveling monk to 75 it currently is 74. He needs to get merits, but in reality we need another monk from the looks of it. sams are ok it's just that looking at the area's we have to go through I do not mind the other monks. Again we would not mind a sam inside of there because as soon as the other sam gets some merits he will come on monk. Either way still looking for a samurai, for salvage. Yeah I know they sponge mp... but the way it is now and my FL being the way it is it's probably all we can get.

Being mp sponges is probably the least worries bard has storm fife :P. our healers are not stupid either. So I'll stay on thf anyway even if I have samurai. I know I need to stay on thf =/ unless we can find another thf whom can make it the same days as my static and has th4... fat chance on bahamut the way the server is :(.

Of course the thf would have to be competent ; ;.

PS

I know thf is well needed in salvage for sacs and such. But as it stand we need another dd. Sam or monk I'd take anything. But where as my sam in my static might not sponge mp we would have to make sure the other does not when he starts going monk.