Why Close The Politics And Religion Fourm

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » why close the politics and religion fourm
why close the politics and religion fourm
 Sylph.Kawar
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2022-03-04 19:59:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I cant understand if anything right now it should be open and able to let us talk still if we want.

why is it closed?
 Asura.Aeonova
Server: Asura
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2022-03-04 20:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

In fair Verona, where we lay our scene, From ancient grudge break to new mutiny, Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.

(In all seriousness, no one wanted to moderate it and it became a ***-show on the regular).
[+]
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2022-03-04 20:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Because like most religious and politics forums most people don't know how to control themselves
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2022-03-04 20:25:14
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2022-03-04 20:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kawar said: »
I cant understand if anything right now it should be open and able to let us talk still if we want.

why is it closed?
Why not start one here? You go first.
[+]
By saintdenis22 2022-03-05 00:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Jesus only Saves
By Pantafernando 2022-03-05 00:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Because its known that we have a relatively small number of mods, there is not enough resources to hire more mods and P&R requires more moderation than usual forums.

As FFXIAH cant provide enough moderation to such discussion, its perfectly understandable they just close it all together.

And lets be frank, WHY THE *** would someone post about P&R in a game forum????

Get a grip and know your place.

Im sure there are millions of more appropriate places where you can discuss it.
[+]
By Draylo 2022-03-05 00:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Because the people in charge deemed it not worth their time to moderate and simply closed it. Can't say I blame them given they doing it for free but thats the short of it. There's like a anti drama anti any kind of conflict energy here, almost like Allakazham back in the day. People will report others just for even bringing up a topic that isn't carebare sensitive lol. I thought it was fun and it was a hidden part that you had to opt into so I didn't see it bringing much harm, but oh well.
 Bahamut.Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2022-03-05 11:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

saintdenis22 said: »
Jesus only Saves
Jesus built my hotrod
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2022-03-05 11:52:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ding-a-ding dang my dang-a-long ling long.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2022-03-05 11:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Because its known that we have a relatively small number of mods, there is not enough resources to hire more mods and P&R requires more moderation than usual forums.

They don't pay moderators, lolwut...

The ability to hide the section via a setting was probably one of the best features added to the site.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-03-05 12:09:26
Link | Quote | Reply

As FFXIAH cant provide enough moderation to such discussion, its perfectly understandable they just close it all together.

Definitely a very reasonable explanation, and I think one even those of us who enjoyed it understood.

And lets be frank, WHY THE *** would someone post about P&R in a game forum????

Get a grip and know your place.

Im sure there are millions of more appropriate places where you can discuss it.

This, however, I can give a semi-explanation for. It can be interesting to discuss issues outside of the game with those we only know through the game, without a reference for social position, income, or pre-existing thoughts/beliefs.

The problem that has developed over the years is that many of us grew up respecting disagreement and just enjoying the dynamics of a complex conversation and opposing sides. Debate is just another game for many where the topic is the least of the concern- its the ability to formulate a proper argument and (hopefully) see another's viewpoint, even if we completely disagree with it.

But these days, when everyone is so used to online echo chambers of thought, disagreement is no longer tolerated for the sake of just "good conversation"- we must WIN and be right, and anyone who disagrees clearly has been lied to and misled. I do believe the concept of debate where two sides can be frothing at the mouth, going at eachother's core beliefs like they were free PS5s on Black Friday and then when the bell dings laugh over a drink are long gone. And when that basic respect of the debate is lost in lieu of "I'm right, you're wrong", trying to have debate on difficult topics is just a minefield not worth babysitting for free.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-03-05 14:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kawar said: »

why is it closed?

Probably two reasons, firstly it causes animosity on a small fan forum (we have enough potato heads trolling on socks as it is).

Also probably because the people who own and run the forum have good jobs, and it's 2022. In 2022 you can be fired and blamed for standing next to someone that said something bad, let alone run a forum that one person on twitter can blow up something someone said on "your forum".

If you have something to lose you're walking around on eggshells in current year.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2022-03-05 14:40:25
Link | Quote | Reply

More people were perma banned because of RP&R postings than every other reason combined.

Quite enough reason to close it and avoid losing any more posters.

Full disclosure: I posted in and enjoyed it when it was active.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2022-03-05 15:08:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Reach out and touch faith.

Jesus shark doot doot do do do do.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-03-05 15:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

We can't even keep a thread about "What do each of us appreciate about FFXI" without it getting closed, on a FFXI fan forum lol

While I do agree that it could be nice to vent about current events, that's what Twitter is for :D
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2022-03-05 15:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2022-03-05 15:57:43
Link | Quote | Reply

ur all libtards
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2022-03-05 16:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

God Emperor Trump 2024!
Administrator
By Rooks 2022-03-05 16:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It was closed because people couldn't behave, and it was far more work to keep within the bounds of Google's adsense rules than we had the manpower to maintain.

I would have closed it significantly sooner than I did, but I still had hope there would be a way to have some civil discourse. That never happened, I reached a point where it was clear that it was NEVER going to work, so I turned off the faucet.

And this:
Garuda.Chanti said: »
More people were perma banned because of RP&R postings than every other reason combined.

Quite enough reason to close it and avoid losing any more posters.

Full disclosure: I posted in and enjoyed it when it was active.

was a non-zero factor as well.