Introduce FF1 Bahamut For Job Upgrades?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Introduce FF1 Bahamut for job upgrades?
Introduce FF1 Bahamut for job upgrades?
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-09-20 23:53:22
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I've been playing Final Fantasy I lately. I always wanted to beat it, but when I was younger the difficulty put me off. Anyways, I've got to the point where you upgrade your job classes, and you do this by giving Bahamut a Rat's Tail to prove your worth (you go through a Citadel of Trials to obtain it). After handing the item over, Bahamut upgraded my Warrior to a Knight, my Monk to a Master, Red Mage to Red Wizard, and White Mage to White Wizard.

FFXI could not handle a huge upgrade like this, it would be like adding 22 new job classes, and there's no way SE would go that far. However, they have been talking about introducing a way of upgrading our jobs, and what if it had something to do with Bahamut? We still don't have a Bahamut high tier battlefield. Perhaps by beating a new version, we would unlock trials? Instead of it being a typical points system (we've had enough of job/merit points/segments etc.), we are given tasks to keep proving our worth so we can enhance spells, abilities, and other things like how FF1 upgrades the party in one go.

I wouldn't want equipment right away (unless it brings Empyreans in line with the others), but maybe in future they could add gear you can only wear after proving your worth. They could give us new tasks in all kinds of ways, not only to encourage us to beat battle content, but to visit areas we wouldn't normally go. I'm tired of things like Odyssey where you go to one place, do what you got to do, and that's it. There's no variety. The game is vast and there are so many unused zones, and enemies sit there every day staring in to space.

It's just an idea. No I haven't been drinking or anything, I just really like the FF1 Bahamut upgrade. It's probably the coolest thing about the original game, and SE could easily pay tribute to that. Thoughts?
[+]
By Draylo 2021-09-21 02:32:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I have dreams of being able to summon Bahamut, it's in like every FF game! We need it

Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-09-21 09:10:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I very much like the idea of a job "upgrade" for each job being the big surprise

That is neat idea
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-09-21 09:15:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it'd be cool to have Bahamut as a test of strength to make future progress. I'm just not sure how much more we can upgrade given we're already hitting all sorts of mechanical ceilings in the game.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Avereith
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-09-21 09:46:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
I'm just not sure how much more we can upgrade given we're already hitting all sorts of mechanical ceilings in the game.
I'd like to see it be additions that just add more incredibly lengthy grind to the game, as I'm kind of running out of grind myself

So let's say the ff1 upgrade thing holds true, and you beat bahamut bc, and unlock the ability to upgrade your.... let's say white mage, to white wizard. Instead of it being a mere name change with maybe some new JP unlockables and abilities, I would like to see a new section of the job change screen, and a new set of 22 jobs that are added as the upgrades.

They all start at level one, and instead of drastically changing the mechanics of your job, it's like a new game+ mechanic where you carry over everything you earned from the white mage including level 99 stats and abilities and get to get new things/interesting things on your trip to 99 again as the white wizard!

Oh, and you're only allowed to gain exp on the new jobs when everyone in your party is at your level or level sync'd down to your level. And you can't use trusts when on an upgrade job. And you can't be cast/acted on by people outside your party except to get a raise.

Force people to relive the same grind they've already been through before, and make them regret they ever asked for vanilla servers.

On the plus side, SE unlocks the ability to make FFXI an offline solo game once they kill the servers, because a level 99+99 job with a level 99+49 subjob will be able to handle all current ilvl content on their own with the new unlockable ilvl 200 gear that is only equippable by max JP'd upgrade jobs.

I don't want this, but I also really want this.
 Asura.Tsm
Server: Asura
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2021-09-21 09:51:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
I have dreams of being able to summon Bahamut, it's in like every FF game! We need it
this has almost nothing to do with his post...

to stay on topic though, i like the idea though and liked it in previous FF games
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-09-21 10:18:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Avereith said: »
They all start at level one, and instead of drastically changing the mechanics of your job, it's like a new game+ mechanic where you carry over everything you earned from the white mage including level 99 stats and abilities and get to get new things/interesting things on your trip to 99 again as the white wizard!
I honestly really, really like the idea. I appreciate the concept of "Gotta level up the old fashioned way" with an almost "New Game Plus" concept.

Sadly, if we're starting with Lv.99 stats and making our way to 99 a second time, there's just not much bigger you can go with the game. We're already capping per-hit damage and output speed. Unless you nerf the primary 99 levels significantly or otherwise restructure the game, there's not much more we can add to the game at this point.

I think if this is the direction we want to go (and I think it's a cool idea) we'd need that from-scratch rebuild of the game we've all been hoping for.
By Zubis 2021-09-21 10:25:09
Link | Quote | Reply

FF11 devs: You can't have Bahamut, he's too powerful.
FF14 devs: OK.

Back on topic: I think people need to temper their expectations regarding the 20th. The game as it stands today is not getting an overhaul.
[+]
 Asura.Arico
user: Tename
By Asura.Arico 2021-09-21 10:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I loved SE's promotional material. everyone wears full sets. BLMs always engaged but out of melee range and for some reason PLDs using greatswords.
 Asura.Tsm
By Asura.Tsm 2021-09-21 10:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Zubis said: »
Back on topic: I think people need to temper their expectations regarding the 20th. The game as it stands today is not getting an overhaul.

i agree with this, i think if they had something really solid for the 20th they would have announced and shown it already just like they have done every time in the past. announcing/showing is in the best interest of their bottom line as it gets older players back and getting ready for the content

it's likely some abyssea type zones and emp+3 tied into wrapping up voracious resurgence.

the job adjustments are likely just some small balancing things
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-09-21 11:01:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think anybody is "expecting" something to this scale. It's more spitballing fun ideas. The main post of this topic is doable by the 20th, for sure. Just add a higher-level fight against Bahamut. The reward is inconsequential to the topic.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2021-09-21 11:16:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Arico said: »

I loved SE's promotional material. everyone wears full sets. BLMs always engaged but out of melee range and for some reason PLDs using greatswords.

Kinda reminds me of the SE videos of them fighting AV, with the RDM using elemental staff
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-09-21 11:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

truly was a very cool feature of FF1, getting that "upgrade" along the way. Definitely gave the game the feeling of progression and growing, not just repetition of the same things, only with stronger gear and higher levels.

I think anyone who says this sounds interesting also knows how it couldn't truly be implemented to its full extent in a game as old as FFXI. But they could do a similar concept within the confines of the game-

-the "master" status new titled jobs would give you a higher level subjob
-a new JA (but not a new 1hour, more like a new "stance") available.
-new WS's or spells available.

As for the "why no Bahamut summon in FFXI" I guess I accepted long ago that SE simply viewed Bahamut as above the rest and too strong to be controlled by a mere mortal lore wise for this game. Then again, I don't play SMN so the itch to get the traditional penultimate summon isn't there.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-09-21 13:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Been thinking about this some more. No, I don't think Bahamut will ever be an avatar we can summon for three reasons:

1) It's freaking huge! 2) FFXI Bahamut is a main antagonist in the CoP storyline, there's no way it's allowing us to summon it... it summons us, 3) It's one of the most powerful entities in Vana'Diel, it would Gigaflare everything in its path and if it doesn't kill its targets in one shot then what's the point?

I'm also not a big fan of going back to "how it was back in the day" like we need some kind of nostalgia trip. Heck no to level syncing and going about EXP parties like it's 2004! That crap was dull, hard to set up, and extremely frustrating for anyone who wasn't a RDM, WHM or a PLD. DRKs & DRGs got left out in the cold all the time, and a similar thing would happen to other jobs who aren't considered optimal today. It's a big fat no from me, let's treat the game like it is now, not how it was. Go play on a private server if level 75 days is your thing. Also SE can't introduce whole new classes, but they could refer to upgrades as mages going down the "wizard" path, for example.

And no, this isn't about the 20th anniversary, and nobody is saying it should be implemented by then. This is something they could introduce any time, if SE ever decided to use Bahamut, which I felt they would have by now. Any upgrades would have to be small and challenging, just to give us things to do. It would be nice to see objectives we can do solo, but other things which need a party.

Here's a bunch of examples of objectives Bahamut could ask us to do:

1) Reach job master on one, or more jobs
2) Beat all the storyline missions
3) Get Mastery Rank up and unlock new objectives with each new rank (this is not for casual players)
4) Defeat Master Trials (not as hard as they once were)
5) Beat all High Tier Battlefields on VD
6) Get one craft to the max
7) Prove you are a true adventurer by visiting every regular zone in the game (no Dynamis/Abyssea/Escha etc.) and finding Bahamut's mark
8) Upgrade an ultimate weapon to the max
9) Find old dragon HNMs and bring friends for additonal credit (encourage teaming up to kill Vrtra, Jormungand etc.)
10) Beat all BCNMs in the game

And that's just off the top of my head. I wouldn't want to take orders from FFXI Bahamut though, I'd like some kind of interdimensional rift deal where we talk to FF1 Bahamut without actually seeing it. As the dragon king it instructs you to keep proving your worth so it can power you up to defeat FFXI Bahamut in a new, and very challenging HTB, preferably with only one difficulty, like a new master trial.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-09-21 13:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
3) Get Mastery Rank up and unlock new objectives with each new rank (this is not for casual players)
Yeah, Boi! Where my rank 8'ers at?
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-09-21 13:21:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, Boi! Where my rank 8'ers at?

I'm only on 5, lol, so I'd be pretty pissed if I had to get to 8, but at least it gives us something to do!
By Meeble 2021-09-21 14:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

3) It's one of the most powerful entities in Vana'Diel, it would Gigaflare everything in its path and if it doesn't kill its targets in one shot then what's the point?

They jumped that shark over a decade ago.

Aside from the difficulties adding new spells they've spoken about before, there's nothing stopping them from remaking the HTMB as a summon unlock fight. It feels like he'd have the same AF requirement as Odin/Alex, but I don't know how they'd make Gigaflare unique and useful.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2021-09-21 14:11:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Makes more sense conceptually than SMN getting Bahamut in 14.
By Draylo 2021-09-21 14:20:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tsm said: »
this has almost nothing to do with his post...

to stay on topic though, i like the idea though and liked it in previous FF games

His post is about Bahamut, why are you such an angry individual? Get over yourself
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-09-21 15:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply

i agree with this, i think if they had something really solid for the 20th they would have announced and shown it already just like they have done every time in the past. announcing/showing is in the best interest of their bottom line as it gets older players back and getting ready for the content

it's likely some abyssea type zones and emp+3 tied into wrapping up voracious resurgence.

They've talked about the job adjustments being tied to a new job progression system, so while it's not going to be anything on the scale of what some of the people here are wish-listing, it's not just going to be some balance changes.

I personally think something on the level of job points would be a reasonable expectation.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-09-21 16:16:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Aye, no one expects the goofy stuff we are talking about. It's just fun to play pretend.
 Bahamut.Unagihito
Server: Bahamut
user: eelman
By Bahamut.Unagihito 2021-09-21 16:24:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Aye, no one expects the goofy stuff we are talking about. It's just fun to play pretend.

No fun allowed!
[+]
 Asura.Tsm
By Asura.Tsm 2021-09-21 16:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »

They've talked about the job adjustments being tied to a new job progression system, so while it's not going to be anything on the scale of what some of the people here are wish-listing, it's not just going to be some balance changes.

I personally think something on the level of job points would be a reasonable expectation.
yeah, i personally hope its not something like job points. i'd rather not have another grind injected, something like master trials that unlocks new versions of your job like OP described would be pretty cool
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-09-21 17:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

What about if it were a series of quests that each granted you something small but permanent (like job points) and/or job-specific equipment, coming together in a final showdown against the King of Wyrms himself after all the other trials have been accomplished.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-09-21 19:27:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
What about if it were a series of quests that each granted you something small but permanent (like job points) and/or job-specific equipment, coming together in a final showdown against the King of Wyrms himself after all the other trials have been accomplished.

That was kind of what I was thinking as well. The last reward for beating Bahamut is Rat's Tail, which the FF1 Bahamut really likes and gives you something special.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2021-09-21 22:17:00
Link | Quote | Reply

You can find people asking for the job title change thing since like 2008 and most recently as a possible 2100 job point reward