Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Ffxi balance and the coming years
Ffxi balance and the coming years
By ksoze 2020-11-29 02:05:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello fellow ffxi fellows,

Was thinking about the future of ffxi and hope to get some thoughts going from other fans.

What we currently see is gear getting too strong and more and more ppl can play the content too easily.

Ffxi for me was always a hard game and that was the thing I enjoy about it.

Raising gear and not the content will pose a problem in my opinion.

New content will be the solution but is it possible?
I think because they dropped ps² support they should not be limited anymore from a technical stand point.

What should the future look like for you?

New player levels
New areas
New storyline
By Pantafernando 2020-11-29 02:47:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Watchout for the politically correct crew
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-11-29 02:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

ksoze said: »

Ride this train out til the end of the tracks, because we're on borrowed time already.
[+]
By ksoze 2020-11-29 02:57:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

Ride this train out til the end of the tracks, because we're on borrowed time already.

Yep possibly hopefully not.
By Draylo 2020-11-29 03:05:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Expansion to the far east, new jobs time mage and chemist. Graphics revamp. Maybe in 2022!
[+]
By ksoze 2020-11-29 03:12:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Expansion to the far east, new jobs time mage and chemist. Graphics revamp. Maybe in 2022!

I think everyone would gladly pay for an expension
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2020-11-29 09:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless player numbers spike upwards for some reason, we are never getting another full expansion. If we use the AH database numbers and extrapolate the most optimistic scenario, the game has about 100k subscribers right now. Let's assume it's a full price, balls to the wall expansion, which means it comes in at about $30.

If everyone does, indeed, pay for it, that's three million dollars. You are not getting something like Seekers of Adoulin for three million dollars. You're getting Crystalline Prophecy. And hey, if ACP/MKE/ASA is what you're looking for, cool! Content is content, broadly speaking.

But let's take the other tack for a second, in the interest of fairness. I mean, who saw Adoulin coming? It's entirely possible that they decide it's worth it because of increased sub retention or they feel like strengthening the brand. Naoki Yoshida is in charge of all this now, and he's a big XI guy. He's also super busy with XIV and XVI, but I wouldn't put anything past him. Would you?
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-29 09:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

All the people want is new carrots.

Not dialogue, not new npcs, not unique mobs, not storyline, they just want unobtainium. Keep adding str+1 every month and they'll never stop drooling over it.

Real talk, if they put the minimum effort into TOM added reisenjima augmented gear but kill 10,000 Boars for +1 STR to your existing augment they'd be set for a decade.
By Popowich 2020-11-29 09:27:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »
Unless player numbers spike upwards for some reason, we are never getting another full expansion. If we use the AH database numbers and extrapolate the most optimistic scenario, the game has about 100k subscribers right now. Let's assume it's a full price, balls to the wall expansion, which means it comes in at about $30.

If everyone does, indeed, pay for it, that's three million dollars. You are not getting something like Seekers of Adoulin for three million dollars. You're getting Crystalline Prophecy. And hey, if ACP/MKE/ASA is what you're looking for, cool! Content is content, broadly speaking.

But let's take the other tack for a second, in the interest of fairness. I mean, who saw Adoulin coming? It's entirely possible that they decide it's worth it because of increased sub retention or they feel like strengthening the brand. Naoki Yoshida is in charge of all this now, and he's a big XI guy. He's also super busy with XIV and XVI, but I wouldn't put anything past him. Would you?

I agree with you. 100k players are playing and paying $15-$20 a month right now. That totals 1.5-2 million per month, times 12 months = 18m-24m/year. then lets say 18 years of that for a total of 324m - 360m (minimum for the last 18 years) and that's only going off the population right now. Then add a new $30 dollar expansion. (+3m) pretty sure 327m-363m should cover a decent expansion. Meanwhile still pulling in 1.5-2m a month if they do or don't and thats not add any previous expansion sales or game sales.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-11-29 09:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »

I certainly wouldn't. I would, however, doubt that any executive board is going to invest the kind of money and resources needed to produce what 17 years of expansions have taught their customers to expect.

They've already got us. They've discovered over the past 8 years they aren't gonna lose us in big enough numbers to make them change. Now they are looking to get a new generation/type of player to keep paying the bills rather than "reward" or "cater" to their existing customers.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2020-11-29 09:35:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Popowich said: »
100k players are playing
As I said, that's the optimistic scenario. The real number is almost certainly lower, maybe even significantly so.

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
I certainly wouldn't. I would, however, doubt that any executive board is going to invest the kind of money and resources needed to produce what 17 years of expansions have taught their customers to expect.

They've already got us. They've discovered over the past 8 years they aren't gonna lose us in big enough numbers to make them change. Now they are looking to get a new generation/type of player to keep paying the bills rather than "reward" or "cater" to their existing customers.
Yep. That's why it's in the "in the interest of fairness" section and not the main argument. They've surprised us before, both the XI team in general (Adoulin/RoV) and Yoshida specifically, but that's a real tall order.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2020-11-29 09:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello fellow ffxi fellows,

What we currently see is gear getting too strong and more and more ppl can play the content too easily.

Ffxi for me was always a hard game and that was the thing I enjoy about it.

Raising gear and not the content will pose a problem in my opinion.

New content will be the solution but is it possible?
I think because they dropped ps² support they should not be limited anymore from a technical stand point.

Hi there, you may not be aware, but the gear problem isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Ilvl XI began around March 2013 with Adoulin's release, and here we are in nearly 2021, almost a decade later with people upset about the quality of gear vs content within the game. The game has had ilvl almost longer than 75 era in XI and will eventually eclipse it around the time of the 2022 20th anniversary. This translates into ilvl being the dominant gameplay mechanic for gearing within FFXI compared to all the years of side grades, and that's not a bad thing, since it means there is clear gear progression as well as content to work through to earn it for the average player, on top of the fact that it's clearly working or else this wouldn't be something to discuss as the game would likely have died sooner than its currently set for on this path.

While I'm on this tangent, the content is becoming easier because the average player is so geared on top of the fact that the content is generally old. Most content was put in around Nov 2015 from what I recall for RoV, so of course those fights are debated to death about half a decade later on and people know what to do and likely have geared up with all kinds of crazy augments over the years now. If you want challenging content, there are plenty of Master Trials that exist and other content that even now isn't just "throw trusts at it and win" that you seem to cheapen the experiences of other players to. There's several ilvl 135+ content that the average PUG groups won't clear even with REMA and high end gear. There's money to be made clearing ilvl ToAU path with level 150 PW drops and upgrade mats, so where are your clears for that with your ilvl 119 gear if its so overpowered? You'll require coordination, dedicated enough to gear themselves people, and the willingness to accept defeat with grace since the foes will need to be researched in some manner for success to be had.

As far as PS2 support goes, the average player understands it to be that the PC version was using a form of emulation for XI, hence RoV talked about still needing PS2 dev kits and how they've ran out of them by this point in time. Old NES games are written in assembly and that's how they work, so XI is what it is with all the PS2 spaghetti coding and won't really change from that. We're entering into a point where the game is so old that newer GPUs don't support some of the effects from what I understand, causing performance to tank on what would have been a NASA super computer in comparison by specs back when XI was new, and forcing players to look into other options or tweaks for modern hardware to give decent FPS. Matsui once stated that they tried to change like storage or a battle mechanic and it broke linkshells instead, since those are so deeply worked into the coding, so yeah, this ship is held together by glue, money, and lots of JP dev tears since we have about six people left working on the game the last I heard. Long gone are the hundreds of members cranking out content since the game has been in maintenance mode for ages, and I think people still have their expectations too high for XI and the players within it.

As far as the future of XI goes, I'm not sure nowadays. The last time they hyped things up, they gave us the ending storyline back in 2015, and this time it's shaping up to look like a story with heavy consequences for Dynamis from the little bits we do know. This is the game where a leaky Mog House turned into me wall tanking as a BLM against a giant mafia Mog that had ambitions to destroy the world or something, so I merely welcome what the team does and hope they're having fun with it. I also figure XI R Mobile is still a thing and that we'll someday find more out about that.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-11-29 11:34:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-29 11:40:42
Link | Quote | Reply

All signs point out the playerbase "*** LOVE" random augments.

They may complain but you never see them not doing it anyway.