users online
Forum » FFXI » General » $6 FFXI Black Friday Sale
$6 FFXI Black Friday Sale
By Felgarr 2020-11-28 08:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

$6 FFXI black friday sale:

US: https://store.na.square-enix-games.c...ion-pcdownload
EU: https://store.eu.square-enix-games.c...on-pc-download

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, the forum search function doesn't work and I did a quick glance at the sub forums.

P.S. Does anyone know how long it takes for digital delivery emails to get sent?
[+]
By Felgarr 2020-11-28 08:51:06
Link | Quote | Reply

To answer my own question, it took ~45-50 minutes after placing an order to receive the email with digital delivery details.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-28 09:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, 80% off someones desperate
By Felgarr 2020-11-28 09:15:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Wow, 80% off someones desperate

I mean this in the most respectful way possible: You're a moron.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-28 09:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, they've never done black friday sales before (including XI in it)? They've never discounted 11 below 1/2. They purposely moved the free play. and they seriously *** up all year.

Then do 80% off sale, that smells of desperation.

(Also zero advertising, man square is a bunch of *** ups lol)
By Pantafernando 2020-11-28 09:19:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I could take a discount on my monthly fee for black friday...

Due dollar convertion, my sub nowaday is like +250% what i used to pay when i started.
[+]
By Felgarr 2020-11-28 09:24:20
Link | Quote | Reply

"Square Enix reports $48M loss following release of underperforming Marvel's Avengers":

https://www.pcgamer.com/square-enix-reports-losses-following-release-of-underperforming-marvels-avengers/

(In a translated statement from JP execs, SE thinks they'll recoup losses by adding more content to the game. Meanwhile, it's free on PSN Plus and 50% off otherwise. They *** up royally with this game on so many levels. Given that the Avengers/MCU franchise have been incredibly successful, only SE can fail so spectacularly on what should have been an easy home run)
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-28 09:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

All one had to do was look at those character models and see how bad an idea that was lol

Dollar store super hero knockoffs. There is nothing square can't *** up.
By Felgarr 2020-11-28 09:34:36
Link | Quote | Reply

The fact that they could not get the celebrities to do the voices is the first reason why I abandoned the idea of buying Avengers.

Also, if you watch the first trailer they released, Hulk screams and it is literally a stock audio of a lion roaring. They even used it 2-3 times in the trailer as Hulk's only audio, so it was super easy to pin point and further validated how much of a trash job they did in making the game.

As much as I love SE's intellectual property, they do very little at attempting to understand western audiences. I'm certain that when Final Fantasy is their last remaining property to have any market appeal, they'll probably get bought out by Sony or EA or the like.
Administrator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2020-11-28 09:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Dollar store super hero knockoffs.
The cost of licensing the individual actors' likenesses would have made the game cost-prohibitive to make. There's an argument to be made that they shouldn't have made it at all if they couldn't do that, or should have gone with a deliberately more cartoony art style so it wasn't as noticeable, but "Iron Man doesn't look like RDJ!" is an argument that belies a complete misunderstanding of how licensing works.

Felgarr said: »
SE thinks they'll recoup losses by adding more content to the game
Unless they're going to toss Naoki Yoshida at it, and give him two years and a meteor, I don't think "good money after bad" is going to work out for them this time.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-28 09:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not even that the likenesses aren't celebrities, it's that they're just plain bad.

They're a shitty greedy company propped up by fanbois that deserved(s) to fail. Or I guess in fairness, at least a reality check.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2020-11-28 09:38:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm certain that when Final Fantasy is their last remaining property to have any market appeal
I don't have to stand for this Dragon Quest erasure
[+]
By Felgarr 2020-11-28 09:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Idiot Boy said: »
Dollar store super hero knockoffs.
The cost of licensing the individual actors' likenesses would have made the game cost-prohibitive to make. There's an argument to be made that they shouldn't have made it at all if they couldn't do that, or should have gone with a deliberately more cartoony art style so it wasn't as noticeable, but "Iron Man doesn't look like RDJ!" is an argument that belies a complete misunderstanding of how licensing works.

SE thinks they'll recoup losses by adding more content to the game
Unless they're going to toss Naoki Yoshida at it, and give him two years and a meteor, I don't think "good money after bad" is going to work out for them this time.

Yup. I laughed out loud when read that JP execs thinks NA players will buy the game because of ADDITIONAL content? (They're clueless, if not just detached from their customers).

Idiot Boy said: »
I'm certain that when Final Fantasy is their last remaining property to have any market appeal
I don't have to stand for this Dragon Quest erasure

I've hated since Dragon Quest since it was called Dragon Warrior ...but granted I was ~10 years old or so and found every blob I encountered impossible to kill.
 Asura.Tsm
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2020-11-28 09:48:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, they've never done black friday sales before (including XI in it)? They've never discounted 11 below 1/2. They purposely moved the free play. and they seriously *** up all year.

Then do 80% off sale, that smells of desperation.

(Also zero advertising, man square is a bunch of *** ups lol)
they've done it before, usually not 80%
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-11-28 11:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

They routinely put XI on sale for 66% off ($29.99 to $9.99), and they've got other deals too. Same 50% off of XIV that they usually do.

Only thing that seems odd to me is that they're running their sale over the same time as a Steam sale, and the only Final Fantasy thing that seems to be on sale there is Shadowbringers.

Yup. I laughed out loud when read that JP execs thinks NA players will buy the game because of ADDITIONAL content? (They're clueless, if not just detached from their customers).

To be fair, the Avengers game was billed as a live service game, with free DLC content to be added over time. Sort of like Destiny or Diablo III that end up turning things around. From a business standpoint, it's probably a reasonable outlook - the whole point is to keep it selling for a long time, not just a launch window surge.
Granted, they probably would have done better just making a great single player game.
By fillerbunny9 2020-11-28 12:22:56
Link | Quote | Reply

SE thinks they'll recoup losses by adding more content to the game.

I do not think this is going to work; they are trying to sell season passes BY THE CHARACTER. it's completely undisguised avarice for a thoroughly mediocre, repetitive beat 'em up.
By Rips 2020-11-28 12:58:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I was in the middle of purchasing and received an "internal error."

I refreshed the page and the sale was gone. Oh well.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-28 13:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Well that's dumb, it says right on the page it's like a week long.

Digital games on sale till 12/1 looks like another "whoops"
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-11-28 13:04:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Sale seems to still be there in general, but not for XI.

Maybe they had RMT buying a bunch of them or something.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-28 13:06:34
Link | Quote | Reply

(*) While supplies last

Guess they put a limit on it, anyone selling accounts probably grabbed a hundred codes. I had 10 in my cart but wasn't in a hurry, they were removed, still had the tab open and everything.
By fillerbunny9 2020-11-28 13:45:57
Link | Quote | Reply

it was listed on the sale page, I would presume, the same as in the email they sent out:

Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-28 13:55:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would they send an email to people to buy the game they already have.

Oh well didn't look, and didn't get any email, mystery solved.
By fillerbunny9 2020-11-28 14:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

it's likely that I am signed up on their mailing list to get some tchotchke at PAX or similar. the email contained a lot of their black friday options, and this was the last on the list.
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
Server: Bismarck
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2020-11-28 19:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

that's too bad. got home from work and was going to buy a couple copies for friends. but *** full price
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-28 19:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The freeplay week should probably have $10 codes the last week of dec

Along with half price transfers etc
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-11-28 22:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

They purposely moved the free play.

I think the free play move was more due to the fact that they messed up and forgot to do a Mog Bonanza on schedule which meant they had to push back their new Nomad Bonanza. They never have a free-to-play any time during the three months it takes for them to complete a Bonanza cycle.

Month #1: They want you to be subbed to buy marbles.

Month #2: They want to make sure you've paid for at least 2 months worth of subscription (which is why most limited time things always want 45 days from new account creation).

Month #3: They want you to be subbed to turn in marbles.

I would expect the old "normal times" for free-to-play to never be on cycle again until they give us another 8 months without a Bonanza.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2020-11-28 22:54:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm kinda disappointed that I missed this. I have a friend who just started asking me questions about the game and it seemed like they're interested in joining. It would have been a fantastic way to say "...Well now's your chance!"
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2020-11-29 12:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Sucks I missed it. I wanted to make a mule

No way I'm spending $30 on this game. Hell I just picked up Metro Exodus and Doom Eternal for about the same price