Forum » FFXI » General » August 2020 Version Update
August 2020 Version Update
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Phoenix.Logical
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Logical 2020-08-06 17:32:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Video for the new Ambuscade from the update if anyone is interested.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-06 19:18:03
Link | Quote | Reply

So the entirety of the "new story" right now is a talk, a 2 second fight, and a fetch?

Til September? Still excited?
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-08-06 19:26:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
So the entirety of the "new story" right now is a talk, a 2 second fight, and a fetch?

But... But... EMPY +3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-08-06 19:29:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
great. Now Disney owns SE too?
Yes, didn't KH3 show that?

Nothing but Disney worlds, no FF characters at all, unless you pay extra for them.

It was a Disney game that came under the guise of FF.

Then I want Alexander avatars replaced by Buzz Lightyear and during Astral Flow he yells "To Infinity and Beyond!!!!!"
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-08-06 20:54:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing but Disney worlds, no FF characters at all, unless you pay extra for them.

Then I want Alexander avatars replaced by Buzz Lightyear and during Astral Flow he yells "To Infinity and Beyond!!!!!"
You're going to make me weep....
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-06 21:57:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't give them ideas.....
 Sylph.Lynh
Server: Sylph
user: Lynh
By Sylph.Lynh 2020-08-06 23:11:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aeonova said: »
Some of you act like you've never scooped a goldfish and it shows.

LOL--too funny. ><; I've scooped a goldfish--that is all.
By JemTitan 2020-08-07 01:46:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure Disney still owns part of SE, they bought after squaresoft was hurt financially beyond repair with the flop of the final fantasy: spirits within movie. They sold the majority of the company to Enix and part to Disney. It's called Square-Enix because it sounds better than Enix-Square, but Enix is the majority.
By soralin 2020-08-07 01:53:50
Link | Quote | Reply

JemTitan said: »
Pretty sure Disney still owns part of SE, they bought after squaresoft was hurt financially beyond repair with the flop of the final fantasy: spirits within movie. They sold the majority of the company to Enix and part to Disney. It's called Square-Enix because it sounds better than Enix-Square, but Enix is the majority.

Literally 5 seconds of googling shows this to be false.

https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/stock/shareholder.html

Specifically, the Disney part. Disney has no stock in SE.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-08-07 03:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Yo

Stop bitching ang go grab your SP key and DM augment before JP midnight
 Asura.Slugster
user: Beau
By Asura.Slugster 2020-08-07 05:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Just did an Omen card farm run triboxing (as I usually do), and only got 3 cards on each char. I hit all but 2 objectives and chose not to kill all mobs once objectives were done. I don't think this campaign portion is working yet unless all mobs need to be killed... but DM augments were working. Anyone else having same issue?
By Ruaumoko 2020-08-07 05:16:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Slugster said: »
Just did an Omen card farm run triboxing (as I usually do), and only got 3 cards on each char. I hit all but 2 objectives and chose not to kill all mobs once objectives were done. I don't think this campaign portion is working yet unless all mobs need to be killed... but DM augments were working. Anyone else having same issue?
Yeah noticing this as well, they forgot to turn the Omen Card Campaign on.
 Asura.Tsm
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2020-08-07 06:54:40
Link | Quote | Reply

sounds about right

they spent more time making the website/wallpaper than they did on the actual content, guaranteed
 Shiva.Xelltrix
Server: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-08-07 08:16:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The stories always start off like this...

My word, just looking for something to complain about at this point lmao.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-08-07 08:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Xelltrix said: »

Its their “endgame”.

Its not Weird to complain about content quality, but story quality, you gonna need to wait at least like 50% of it is done before complaining.

But i believe SE is good enough to provide good stories in games. There is really no reason to complain at this point. Actually, i would just complain because they didnt mention anything about odyssey, neither a change or some rpeview of future changes
 Asura.Tsm
By Asura.Tsm 2020-08-07 08:29:28
Link | Quote | Reply

please cite where the stories have "always started off like this" in the past?

the people liking your post can chime in as well.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-08-07 08:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tsm said: »

please cite where the stories have "always started off like this" in the past?

the people liking your post can chime in as well.
I wouldn't say always, but it's happened before. For example, the first story chunk of Adoulin was basically us just reaching Adoulin and meeting Arciela like twice.
By Pantafernando 2020-08-07 08:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

For example, WotG you need to go a couple of quests before the first encounter with Lilisette, thats the main character in the expansion.

SOA you started with some silly internal affair in adoulin before resulting in a conflict that could end the world.

The nation missions start with some minor errands before youre engaged against the greatest manace in vanadiel.
[+]
 Shiva.Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-08-07 08:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Plenty of their storylines started out with just talking... with at most a fetch quest. How many missions have they released for this storyline so far? It doesn’t sound like a lot. I would have been pretty shocked if we had a legitimate battle already.
 Asura.Tsm
By Asura.Tsm 2020-08-07 08:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

so we're looking at things that are not even similar in a microscope.

since every single one of those launched with expansions/areas/jobs/lots of content all at once.

they have never released something this lackluster before in a patch.
 Shiva.Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-08-07 08:43:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Those were also expansions we paid for...
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2020-08-07 08:51:01
Link | Quote | Reply

so we're looking at things that are not even similar in a microscope.

since every single one of those launched with expansions/areas/jobs/lots of content all at once.

they have never released something this lackluster before in a patch.
The storyline is a completely separate topic than the content said storyline often came with.

There is no great new gameplay content because it's not a paid expansion, but the storyline content itself is quite similar to several examples before of first-patch story.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2020-08-07 09:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Plenty of their storylines started out with just talking... with at most a fetch quest. How many missions have they released for this storyline so far? It doesn’t sound like a lot. I would have been pretty shocked if we had a legitimate battle already.

The first part of serialized storylines always ended with some kind of new battle content. The only one not attached to a paid expansion or update was Rhapsodies, but part 1 ended with Zi'tah.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2020-08-07 09:57:14
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »

The first part of serialized storylines always ended with some kind of new battle content. The only one not attached to a paid expansion or update was Rhapsodies, but part 1 ended with Zi'tah.
The discussion is about the stories themselves, not the stories + related content.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-07 09:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

soralin said: »
JemTitan said: »

Literally 5 seconds of googling shows this to be false.

https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/stock/shareholder.html

Specifically, the Disney part. Disney has no stock in SE.
Or, at the very least, is not in the top 10.

They may own "some" stock, but not enough to break the top 10 shareholder list.
 Shiva.Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-08-07 10:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It’s pretty easy to verify that as false:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Missions

Adoulin didn’t even have a fight until the end of chapter 2.

Rhapsodies first fight was 9 missions in and no BC until the end of chapter 2 (and these are long chapters).

Wings is tricky because you have to do sidequests between missions to gain progress and some of those have BCs but Wings itself doesn’t have a fight until mission 7.

Aht Urghan’s first fight is mission 13 and first BC at mission 15.

Now CoP and Zilart actually gave us plenty of action right off the bat but you can see pretty clearly that plenty of the storylines do not.

In contrast we already have a (lame) fight on the second mission of this new story. We only have three missions so far so it’s not shocking. I guess we could complain they only have three missions out but whatever, I wasn’t even expecting these.
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Server: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2020-08-07 10:09:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The expectation was always going to be some new story around a quest the announcement of an actual narrative storyline was a surprise and perhaps people let their expectations get away.

But considering they have announced this story will run for about 2 years to 2022s 20th anniversary and assuming bi-monthly story updates that's a good 12 chapters maybe more.

It is simply too early to judge but we already sort of know some of the main players for this story.

My guess is future chapter will meander through all 3 main cities, whitegate , tavnazia and adoulin , it will be a world story
 Asura.Tsm
By Asura.Tsm 2020-08-07 10:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah i don't think they are realizing that this has been the worst patch of "Story content" of all time, by a very large margin.

not quite sure why they are talking the entire story like that's apples to apples somehow when this entire story hasn't even been released.

as far as a part 1 (initial patch) basis, this has been the most lackluster that we have ever seen in the history of FFXI.

sorry.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2020-08-07 10:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah i don't think they are realizing that this has been the worst patch of "Story content" of all time, by a very large margin.

not quite sure why they are talking the entire story like that's apples to apples somehow when this entire story hasn't even been released.

as far as a part 1 (initial patch) basis, this has been the most lackluster that we have ever seen in the history of FFXI.

sorry.
The battle content you guys are talking about is separate from the story content that each expansion has released. We are very specifically only talking about the story content itself, which is not outside of what we've seen in the past for first patch storyline.

Given that this is not a paid expansion and there were no announcements about such a thing, no one should have been expecting actual endgame content on the first chunk.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-07 10:30:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
We are very specifically only talking about the story content itself, which is not outside of what we've seen in the past for first patch storyline.
To be fair, this is the first "first patch storyline" we have where it's basically 2 quests that are finishable in an hour, with basically zero effort.

I think that's the main complaint we as gamers have.