Ranger Friendly Solo/Duo HTBMs?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Ranger friendly Solo/Duo HTBMs?
Ranger friendly Solo/Duo HTBMs?
 Quetzalcoatl.Avengers
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Avengers
By Quetzalcoatl.Avengers 2020-06-12 22:43:52
Link | Quote | Reply

As the title says, looking for suggestions on which HTBMs are easy to do on VD, My gear is pretty good for the most part. I just got my gastra to 119, but out of funds from that, so looking to farm HTBMs for beitsus and even boulders for my Verethrgna. I also have access to dual box either a Geo or a corsair for the buffs as well. Just wondering on some good suggestions for people.

For Dps, I also have a fully AG Annihilator as well I'd be using for damage, cause I don't think a 119 Gastra would outdamage it with Mog purchased ammo.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-06-12 23:00:49
Link | Quote | Reply

you can duo damn near anything with RNG+PLD and trusts, if your weaponry is up to snuff. Having an AG anni will be MUCH better than the Gastra for hate control, your biggest issue in those. I wouldn't try VD on the "new" HTBFs like Odin,Cait Sith, or Lilith, but all the other ones won't be too bad- Tenzen might be annoying without a sleeper, but you can shoot thru his 1hours if you really want that one.

As for solo on VD, RNG just can't take the hits, even with Malignance Gear. But you can decoy shot a sturdy tank and with teh Anni go bonkers and never rip hate. Add in non-SC trusts (bards, RDM, WHM would be my suggestion) and you can self chain Coronach-Coronach for Darkness or Coronach-Last Stand for Light.

Avoid King of Hearts and Quldata, they'll just blow up your skillchains. Also, King of Hearts and Arciela (original one) will Haste2 RNGs vs the other RDMs (Koru-Moru for example) will Flurry2 you. This is a good availability to have, but one to be aware of if you were hoping for the opposite of what your current RDM trust gives you.
By Pantafernando 2020-06-12 23:15:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan should be the easiest. If you have malignance set, you could resist pretty much most magical attacks. But if you dont, you just need to take care some avatar still can hit pretty hard.
By Pantafernando 2020-06-12 23:17:32
Link | Quote | Reply

For dps you could try savage blade spam on RNG. I supose those avatars should be strong against most magical attacks.

BTW one thing still amazes me how low dmg those old HTBF content takes while adoulin+ most mobs just melt.

Is those the effect of level correction? Or do those avatars have some native PDT/DT?
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-06-12 23:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
For dps you could try savage blade spam on RNG. I supose those avatars should be strong against most magical attacks.

BTW one thing still amazes me how low dmg those old HTBF content takes while adoulin+ most mobs just melt.

Is those the effect of level correction? Or do those avatars have some native PDT/DT?

Savage Spam on RNG really requires 3 things to be competitive-

1. Naegling (no, not Kaja. You need the help)
2. TP Bonus Bow
3. Domain Invasion +WSD Arrow

Of course something like a Kclub offhand is the monster that takes it from competitive to WTF level, but other offhands work to the level of "acceptable DPS".

The problem in my eyes is that unless we're talking Fenrir or Carbuncle, you can spam some of your strongest physical ranged weapon skills that also will chain and add damage. No, it'll never be some massive 40% of its HP in one skillchain, but its added damage in a situation with not much DPS planned.
 Quetzalcoatl.Avengers
By Quetzalcoatl.Avengers 2020-06-12 23:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I sadly don't have access to a pld duo. So would be using a tank trust, either August, ev, or chchu
 Quetzalcoatl.Avengers
By Quetzalcoatl.Avengers 2020-06-13 00:41:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan should be the easiest. If you have malignance set, you could resist pretty much most magical attacks. But if you dont, you just need to take care some avatar still can hit pretty hard.

looking into this, wouldn't this be one of the hardest ones for rangers, as there isn't a way to proc the pet ability for the ranged resistance down?
By Draylo 2020-06-13 00:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

They would most likely be using savage blade. The job has gone way past the "ranged dmg" only lol.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-06-13 00:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
They would most likely be using savage blade. The job has gone way past the "ranged dmg" only lol.

yes, to past "ranged damage only", but not "past ranged damage".

Please, let's all remember that if we wanted to beat on things, Ranger would not have been the job we chose to level and gear. We did it because we liked the concept of ranged damage.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-06-13 01:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

There Is no problem doing something by its concept or by some personal affinity.

But overall people make choices based in logical thinking aiming exclusively on results. Thus, people do RNG because it can garantee safer strategy.

Its all good doing three or four fight strictly sticking to job concepts like tping on ranged attacks/trueflight, etc.

But after a dozen fights, you just will want to get this done fast. And if its faster by RNG with savage blade, there is no problem with this too.
By Pantafernando 2020-06-13 02:05:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Avengers said: »

looking into this, wouldn't this be one of the hardest ones for rangers, as there isn't a way to proc the pet ability for the ranged resistance down?

Well, you got a gatra, you should be doing trueflight anyway.

I read the OP, you considered that AG Anni would beat Gastra with eminence ammo. But last i remember, bullet dmg arent considered in elemental WS formula so they probably will be competitive with anni in a long run depending on your gear. Im not sure what would be stronger, but surely you cant dismiss gastra just because of bullets/bolts.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-06-13 02:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

IF you were using elemental WSs with a Gastraphetes, like a Death Penalty a large benefit comes from "MAB+30" among other stats on the quelling bolt.

I still question how elemental WSs that aren't strong to one of the avatars will perform. Still feel that using Annihilator for physical damage (Coronach and Last Stand) would be highly competitive if not win out. Esp when the aftermath is up and actually makes the white damage phase of Annihilator worth something compared to Gastra, which even with AM3 up is still paltry.

Now, if you were using Wildfire on Shiva, or Trueflight on Fenrir, I do think there's a great benefit to those situations just from a raw damage outlook.

personally, I do any soloing of HTBFs for rmea stones on RUN, so my comments on this subject don't come from direct trying Trueflight on Leviathan or the like, just general experience with RNG and general experience with the HTBFs, just not at the same time. ;)
 Quetzalcoatl.Avengers
By Quetzalcoatl.Avengers 2020-06-13 02:31:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
IF you were using elemental WSs with a Gastraphetes, like a Death Penalty a large benefit comes from "MAB+30" among other stats on the quelling bolt.

I still question how elemental WSs that aren't strong to one of the avatars will perform. Still feel that using Annihilator for physical damage (Coronach and Last Stand) would be highly competitive if not win out. Esp when the aftermath is up and actually makes the white damage phase of Annihilator worth something compared to Gastra, which even with AM3 up is still paltry.

Now, if you were using Wildfire on Shiva, or Trueflight on Fenrir, I do think there's a great benefit to those situations just from a raw damage outlook.

personally, I do any soloing of HTBFs for rmea stones on RUN, so my comments on this subject don't come from direct trying Trueflight on Leviathan or the like, just general experience with RNG and general experience with the HTBFs, just not at the same time. ;)

Yea, that's thing, I don't have access to quelling bolts yet, though for avatars, for Elemental WS damage, is it considered as part of the magic resistance proc or no? I did Try out using Anni against levithan, but I only got to 90% solo, without a reliable way to proc, it just wasn't really feasable.