Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Security Token and how long it lasts
Security Token and how long it lasts
Guildwork Premium
By IBHalliwell 2019-09-15 05:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello,

I've had my Security Toke since they were first offered to players.

Starting late last year, it has been getting harder and then this year even harder to get the numbers to appear. By harder, I mean last year I needed to press twice to get the numbers to appear. Now, it is up to 4 times for them to appear.

NOTE: The numbers are as dark as ever, once they appear on the screen.

Couple of questions:
  1. How long is a security token suppose to last?

2. How can you tell the battery level or if it is about to die?

3. What does my situation mean (where one has to press the button several times before the numbers appear)?

Thanks for reading and for, as always, helpful replies.

IB on Caitsith.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Suteru
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2019-09-15 09:26:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Save your emergency removal token that's displayed when you log into the SE account page while you still can.

But you can remove the token and switch to the app version.
By Aomrep 2019-09-15 11:03:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I switched to the phone app last year sometime. My token seemed to be working fine but I didn’t want to run into this issue. I’ve had the token for a very long time so it just felt inevitable that it would fail. Easy process, that’s probably better than removing the token altogether.
 Bahamut.Agerine
Server: Bahamut
user: Agerine
By Bahamut.Agerine 2019-09-15 11:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a security token that I purchased when they first came out. It still has battery life in it. Granted I haven’t used it in years but yea. It’s still tickin.
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2019-09-15 12:58:28
Link | Quote | Reply

10+ years is how long they last. When your token is about to die it has an indicator that will show a low battery icon, mine worked for 6 months after the indicator started to appear when pulling up codes before it died. That token was purchased when they released and lasted up until 2 years ago.

Your situation of having to push the button multiple times to generate your code just shows ware and tare. The button that makes contact with the logic board that acts like a switch iss having problems making contact. This could be to dead skin, food, soda or any other grime that got under the button pr just the contact points have connected so many times they're just damaged from use. You could replace it if you want but its likely it wont just stop functioning immediately because of this, its pretty normal.
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2019-09-15 14:05:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I've just changed mine cant remember how long it's been since I got my first one. I was having to press it twice to get the numbers to come up most of the time.
 Asura.Elazar
user: Elazar1
By Asura.Elazar 2019-09-15 15:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Can always just order a new one if need be, I got 2 a few months ago, since my account is EU and live In The US,I’d have to go through hoops to use a phone app
Guildwork Premium
By IBHalliwell 2019-09-18 03:31:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Follow up question: I know at one point people were losing accounts right and left. The security key seems to have been a good measure against said criminal behavior.

Do you think the security key is even necessary these days?
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2019-09-18 04:07:46
Link | Quote | Reply

IBHalliwell said: »
Follow up question: I know at one point people were losing accounts right and left. The security key seems to have been a good measure against said criminal behavior.

Do you think the security key is even necessary these days?
i used it a time when it came out. After a while it said "battery almost empty" at which point i deactivated my one-time-password.
Mainly bought it for the mog-satchel because having 80 more Slots to fill with random crap was unheard of when it came out.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
Guildwork Premium
By IBHalliwell 2019-09-19 17:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you everyone for your input.

I decided to get another token, as I've been working since 2004 on my character and would hate to lose it.