Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Arson on Kyoto Animations
Arson on Kyoto Animations
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2019-07-18 20:54:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't normally post on here anymore, but just in case people haven't heard, there has been a{n} terrorist attack on the Animation Studio Kyoto Animation, producing anime such as "A Silent Voice" and "The Meloncoly of Haruhi Suzumiya", just to name two of the bigger anime productions.

From what reports say, it appears that a man took people hostage, poured gasoline on them, as well as around the building, and set the place on fire.

As of writing this, 33 are dead with many injured.
If anybody is interested in helping the families of this, there is a GoFundMe link below.

Kyoto GoFundMe

Original Story:
Kyoto Animations Arson

More related to the story, as well as the suspect. (From Melphina. Thank you)
Kyoto Animations Arson #2

Edited 7/20 to correct a misuse of the word "Terrorist". Also added a link with some more details not in the first article.
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2019-07-19 12:25:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently the motive for the arson was a personal grudge over a copyright dispute.

https://www.apnews.com/8a893462b76e41139048b5a50f34ff5d

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/19/kyoto-animation-studio-fire-suspect-named-police-shinji-aoba

People are messed up. It doesn't matter if you dislike a company or their business practices, you don't go murdering everyone who works there out of spite. The employees involved in these types of mass killing incidents are almost never the ones calling the shots either; they're just innocent victims trying to make ends meet at a job they may or may not even like driving to day after day, caught up in the crossfire of some zealot and his cause. Take it up in the legal system.

There's always a million things you want to say when stuff like this happens but never the right words to do so. So I'll just settle on a silent prayer in honor of the victims.
[+]
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2019-07-19 12:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently this is the 2nd largest mass murder [Edit: In Japan] since 1945... first being 44 people in a fire at the Myojo 56 building in Sept 2001.

My thoughts go out to all of them and their families. :(

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2019-07-19 13:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Technically, yes, but for a lack of a better term, I used terrorist. They caused terror, fear, and panick among the people hence why I used it, albeit incorrectly.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihinaa
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihinaa 2019-07-19 17:15:48
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
Isn't terrorism politically motivated?

Yes, but words don't have meaning anymore, so feel free to butcher them however you like.
[+]
 Asura.Chaostaru
Server: Asura
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-07-19 17:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Some weeb was mad about some kind of plagiarism. Though it would of made more sense to fly to china and burn down one of those studios instead, based on his motive.
[+]
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2019-07-20 10:38:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihinaa said: »
DirectX said: »
Isn't terrorism politically motivated?

Yes, but words don't have meaning anymore, so feel free to butcher them however you like.

That shade, though. Damn, hold on, I'll edit it out if you want to be a pedant about it.