Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Fomalhaut / Annihilator
Fomalhaut / Annihilator
First Page 2
 Asura.Yso
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Yso 2019-05-08 09:28:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a Fomalhaut from playing COR, and Annihilator 119(non-AG) from playing RNG back in the day. Is it worthwhile to upgrade Anni to 119II? Outside of personal achievements, that is.

Chrono Bullets seem superior to the Eradicating Bullets from Anni. Does Coronach's -enmity and RATT+10% make up for lost DMG rating when using Last Stand? Also, for Trueflight Fomalhaut seems superior, too.

Not planning on making a Gastraphetes any time soon.
By fonewear 2019-05-08 09:32:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think you need to afterglow annihilator however you already made it to 119...so you might as well finish it.

But I wouldn't say that it is a high priority to finish it.

The only time I use annihilator is when I need the extra accuracy.
[+]
By eliroo 2019-05-08 09:39:58
Link | Quote | Reply

It is arguably the best physical weapon but mostly out of circumstance.

My reasoning is that the times you are doing physical damage as RNG, you are trying to play it safe, but Physical damage(especially from ranged attacks?) tend to generate a lot of enmity. Coronach just flat out fixes that issue. Furthermore once you start throwing Astrals into Anni, I believe there is a point where Coronach will just be better than LS.

It is also a great gun for hitting Pdif and accuracy limits.
[+]
 Shiva.Flowen
Server: Shiva
user: Flowen255
By Shiva.Flowen 2019-05-08 10:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
Furthermore once you start throwing Astrals into Anni, I believe there is a point where Coronach will just be better than LS.

Worth noting this assumes last stand from an anni, not a fomal as the TP bonus adds a lot. If you put those astrals into fomal, the gap widens more of course. But as mentioned already, the acc, att and coronach mean anni always has a place, including when you have a fomal, even a gastra.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-05-08 10:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I absolutely LOVE my Anni. Especially now with the RP system adding a little STP to the gun. Yes, use Chrono bullets with it over the eradicating. But here's a few reasons to use it-

The afterglow -enmity along with the -enmity on the gun itself are huge for us in terms of being able to just go all out in longer fights. With Fomalhaut I'm constantly riding the hate line.

Annihilator is the only way you can make Darkness skillchains with a physical weaponskill. Yes, Wildfire suffices, but it doesn't pack the same punch that Coronach does if you're getting buffed physically. It also allows for some nice 3 step options for Light chains between Coro>Last Stand play back and forth.

Without question Foma is our sledge hammer gun, there for raw power and if you're chaining with another aeonic user can give some great results, especially in the boosted skillchain numbers. But if you need a little more finesse, bust out the Anni. It's the torque wrench in our toolbox... plenty of work can be done with it, just with a little more tact. And the Armageddon is like a set of jewelers saws... at times difficult to use properly, but when you need it, nothing compares.

In regards to the question about Trueflight- at 3k TP, your best choices will be likely in this order:

Gastraphetes
Armageddon
Annihilator
Fomalhaut

Under 2500TP, more like this:
Gastraphetes
Fomalhaut
Armageddon
Annihilator

The TP bonus on Foma is the only relevant stat that will help your TF numbers, so that goes to ***once you're above 2499. (Or above 2249 if you're using Moonshade earring) All this assumes the same bullet being used across different weapons.

Armageddon is a monster of a weapon that can bounce between physical and magical weaponskills easily. That crazy amount of AGI helps offset the lower base damage. And a third of the benefits that Gastra gives is in that lovely 30MAB on the bolts. If we could only equip Living bullets!

As someone who has all the ranged RMEAs afterglowed except Yoichi (its 119, no glow/RP), I find a use for them all except Fail-Not (it just dispenses arrows for my Gandiva) depending on the situation. Hell, I switch within the sme event often! Modern RNG and COR play style these days is about flexibility. Yes, you'll be quite all right with just a Foma, but you'll be much more effective with options.
[+]
By eliroo 2019-05-08 10:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Fail-Not is actually pretty good for Flaming Arrow, though I still think Hot Shot is overall better in regards to Hybrids but there may be some Bow Gimmick that I'm just not aware of, or the split AGI/STR mod some how makes it stronger?
[+]
 Shiva.Flowen
By Shiva.Flowen 2019-05-08 11:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flowen said: »
eliroo said: »
Furthermore once you start throwing Astrals into Anni, I believe there is a point where Coronach will just be better than LS.

Worth noting this assumes last stand from an anni, not a fomal as the TP bonus adds a lot. If you put those astrals into fomal, the gap widens more of course. But as mentioned already, the acc, att and coronach mean anni always has a place, including when you have a fomal, even a gastra.

How is gastra Gandiva vs arma in a last stand/jishnu's head to head? Does it come down to true shot distance being easier to maintain on bows or gun still win?

RE Yoichi - If I remember correctly Namas arrow is similar damage to coronach (slightly lower ftp but has str mod)? Man I wish Archery was more viable lol Might AG my yoichi for Sam and have it as a niche use on rng for very high acc and hate control situations.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Haxetc
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Haxetc 2019-05-08 11:59:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Annihilator at r15 using coro does very similar dmg to r15 fomal using last stand. The biggest difference is hate. Doing ambu last month you could literally stand behind the tank and just dps down each mob and never pull hate if you were using coronach. It's quite beautiful. That's just one example of course.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-05-08 12:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flowen said:

How is gastra vs arma in a last stand/jishnu's head to head? Does it come down to true shot distance being easier to maintain on bows or gun still win?

Armageddon Last Stands are much more powerful than Gastraphetes Last Stands, no question.
[+]
 Shiva.Flowen
By Shiva.Flowen 2019-05-08 14:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Shiva.Flowen said:

How is gastra vs arma in a last stand/jishnu's head to head? Does it come down to true shot distance being easier to maintain on bows or gun still win?

Armageddon Last Stands are much more powerful than Gastraphetes Last Stands, no question.

Oops - GANDIVA vs arma in a last stand/jishus head to head i meant
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-05-08 14:20:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Haxetc said: »
Annihilator at r15 using coro does very similar dmg to r15 fomal using last stand.

Idk, they don't look like they would do similar damage.

1750TP R15 Fomal Last Stand - 85% AGI, 21 more base dmg, 6.27 fTP
1000TP R15 Anni Coronach - 40% AGI/DEX, 5.2 fTP

20% higher fTP, better mod, 21 more base damage. Add TP overflow and I can't see Coronach being close. I agree tho, that it's hate free nature makes it an amazing tool.
[+]
 Shiva.Flowen
By Shiva.Flowen 2019-05-08 14:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Annihilator at r15 using coro does very similar dmg to r15 fomal using last stand.

Idk, they don't look like they would do similar damage.

1750TP R15 Fomal Last Stand - 85% AGI, 21 more base dmg, 6.27 fTP
1000TP R15 Anni Coronach - 40% AGI/DEX, 5.2 fTP

20% higher fTP, better mod, 21 more base damage. Add TP overflow and I can't see Coronach being close. I agree tho, that it's hate free nature makes it an amazing tool.

Yeah i was just eyeballing similar numbers. I think WSD+ adding more to coronach's 1 hit vs last stand closes the gap a bit (still not equal). If they are performing equally you're likely not attack capped without anni's huge boost
[+]
 Ragnarok.Haxetc
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Haxetc 2019-05-08 17:09:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Coronach
Last Stand
Obviously, with TP overflow Last Stand will do more so it isn't like the craziest amount of in game testing needed to be done in this case. My RNG is near BiS. The only thing I didn't do is DW for Coronach which would have given it a small boost but nothing to bring it up 5k. But it is a lot closer than ppl give it credit for. Also, don't forget that you can miss the second hit of Last Stand which can suck but yea. I don't think i've ever found myself wanting or needing to use Fomal over Anni. There just isn't enough reason to do so.
[+]
 Shiva.Flowen
By Shiva.Flowen 2019-05-09 20:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Coronach
Last Stand
Obviously, with TP overflow Last Stand will do more so it isn't like the craziest amount of in game testing needed to be done in this case. My RNG is near BiS. The only thing I didn't do is DW for Coronach which would have given it a small boost but nothing to bring it up 5k. But it is a lot closer than ppl give it credit for. Also, don't forget that you can miss the second hit of Last Stand which can suck but yea. I don't think i've ever found myself wanting or needing to use Fomal over Anni. There just isn't enough reason to do so.

Yeah, pretty spot on example of the damage difference you would expect based on the ftp and mod differences. I dont think any Rng doesnt give credit to coronach - it's a very good consistent ws. But let's not pretend +16.7% ws damage (assuming hate isnt an issue) isnt a big deal in a game where people spend hundreds of millions on far smaller gains. Stating there isnt enough reason to use fomal over anni is just incorrect (personal preferences aside).
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Orestes
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Orestes78
By Quetzalcoatl.Orestes 2019-05-09 22:01:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Coronach
Last Stand

Yeah, pretty spot on example of the damage difference you would expect based on the ftp and mod differences. I dont think any Rng doesnt give credit to coronach - it's a very good consistent ws. But let's not pretend +16.7% ws damage (assuming hate isnt an issue) isnt a big deal in a game where people spend hundreds of millions on far smaller gains. Stating there isnt enough reason to use fomal over anni is just incorrect (personal preferences aside).

Not to be devils advocate here, but WS dmg is also not the whole picture. My calc's show Fomal ahead by 10% DPS, but the only time it can easily maintain that lead is when acc and to a lesser extent atk remain capped. When you're starved for atk/acc they normalize quickly, and start to tilt in Anni's favor. This is with both using their respective WS's @ R15 with Chrono.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-05-10 00:21:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Orestes said: »
Coronach
Last Stand

Not to be devils advocate here, but WS dmg is also not the whole picture. My calc's show Fomal ahead by 10% DPS, but the only time it can easily maintain that lead is when acc and to a lesser extent atk remain capped. When you're starved for atk/acc they normalize quickly, and start to tilt in Anni's favor. This is with both using their respective WS's @ R15 with Chrono.

The bigger issue these days is simply hate management. The greatest of tanks can only do so much when in a longer fight hate is capped, or in shorter encounters where spikes in hate early from a distance vs. in close really reek havoc on the entire alliance.

Example: A SAM temporarily spikes hate due to a self-chaining Sekkanoki usage (spelling I know, its late I'm not looking it up). The mob TURNS, but stays within the GEO's bubbles, range for a WHM's Curagas, and the Tank is right there, these days often a RUN, to still melee as well as hate tools.

vs.

A RNG at 20 yalms using Fomalhaut pops Doubleshot with Relic+3 body equipped in their doubleshot set, and fires 3 quick Last Stands to proc AM, then self-chain. Mob runs out of the bubble, WHM has to focus curing on the one target taking damage outside of Curaga range, and the Tank can merely do long-range hate tools like casting or certain JAs. Or worse yet, the mob that now has its focus on the RNG uses an AoE JA to deal severe damage/kill many members of the support crew that was hanging around the same distance/space as the RNG.

vs.

A RNG at 20 yalms using Annihilator builds TP, pops Barrage, and does a self-chain of Coronach>major Barrage dmg matching the WS>Last Stand>Light or Coronach>Barrage>Coronach>Darkness depending on weakness (a flexibility Fomalhaut doesn't provide). Due to the native -enmity along with the Aftermath -enmity, this RNG can deal out close to 90% of the same damage without the mob even turning an eyelash at him. Fight continues.

I absolutely LOVE my Fomalhaut, no questions. But as I'm fond of saying, its a Sledgehammer. Its just not the right tool often, and can cause more havoc than its worth. Or, I'm holding TP knowing my next WS is going to pull hate, reducing my DPS. The more I use it, esp as my RP on it grows (currently 11), the more I'm realizing I can go all out all the time with the Annihilator. This clearly will close that gap in DPS. Its just one of those cases where the spreadsheet doesn't tell the whole story.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Orestes
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Orestes78
By Quetzalcoatl.Orestes 2019-05-10 11:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
The bigger issue these days is simply hate management. The greatest of tanks can only do so much when in a longer fight hate is capped, or in shorter encounters where spikes in hate early from a distance vs. in close really reek havoc on the entire alliance.

Example: A SAM temporarily spikes hate due to a self-chaining Sekkanoki usage (spelling I know, its late I'm not looking it up). The mob TURNS, but stays within the GEO's bubbles, range for a WHM's Curagas, and the Tank is right there, these days often a RUN, to still melee as well as hate tools.

vs.

A RNG at 20 yalms using Fomalhaut pops Doubleshot with Relic+3 body equipped in their doubleshot set, and fires 3 quick Last Stands to proc AM, then self-chain. Mob runs out of the bubble, WHM has to focus curing on the one target taking damage outside of Curaga range, and the Tank can merely do long-range hate tools like casting or certain JAs. Or worse yet, the mob that now has its focus on the RNG uses an AoE JA to deal severe damage/kill many members of the support crew that was hanging around the same distance/space as the RNG.

vs.

A RNG at 20 yalms using Annihilator builds TP, pops Barrage, and does a self-chain of Coronach>major Barrage dmg matching the WS>Last Stand>Light or Coronach>Barrage>Coronach>Darkness depending on weakness (a flexibility Fomalhaut doesn't provide). Due to the native -enmity along with the Aftermath -enmity, this RNG can deal out close to 90% of the same damage without the mob even turning an eyelash at him. Fight continues.

I absolutely LOVE my Fomalhaut, no questions. But as I'm fond of saying, its a Sledgehammer. Its just not the right tool often, and can cause more havoc than its worth. Or, I'm holding TP knowing my next WS is going to pull hate, reducing my DPS. The more I use it, esp as my RP on it grows (currently 11), the more I'm realizing I can go all out all the time with the Annihilator. This clearly will close that gap in DPS. Its just one of those cases where the spreadsheet doesn't tell the whole story.

Yep, no doubt that is often the largest consideration. It's easy to wipe your ally if you're not careful.

These days RNG's dmg is mostly magical anyways, so the instances where RNG actually does physical dmg are in the minority. IMO, Fomal mostly fills it's niche as RNG's 2nd best option for spamming TF.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-05-10 11:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

My ally member kill count is now a running joke in my LS during events I come RNG because of my lack of self control hehe. Annihilator is definitely helping with that when it's not time to use magical weapon skills.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [235 days between previous and next post]
By Rixit 2019-12-31 14:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yso said: »
I have a Fomalhaut from playing COR, and Annihilator 119(non-AG) from playing RNG back in the day. Is it worthwhile to upgrade Anni to 119II? Outside of personal achievements, that is.

Chrono Bullets seem superior to the Eradicating Bullets from Anni. Does Coronach's -enmity and RATT+10% make up for lost DMG rating when using Last Stand? Also, for Trueflight Fomalhaut seems superior, too.

Make Gastra. It's the best weapon RNG has by far. I walk into some content and pop 99999s and people are like wtf.

As for Fomal vs. Annihilator...

Fomal is a way better weapon. You will generate more damage. The bullets from Annihilator I use in tp, and the bullets from Fomal I use in WS.

The RATT+10% is nice, but it doesn't come close to making up for the loss DPS of Last Stand vs. Last Stand. The Enmity- is basically useless for most things, because RNG simply just doesn't do enough damage to rip hate off a tank unless the RNG is with a really poor group of players.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2019-12-31 14:17:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Rixit said: »

Make Gastra. It's the best weapon RNG has by far. I walk into some content and pop 99999s and people are like wtf.

Fomal is a way better weapon. You will generate more damage. The bullets from Annihilator I use in tp, and the bullets from Fomal I use in WS.

The RATT+10% is nice, but it doesn't come close to making up for the loss DPS of Last Stand vs. Last Stand. The Enmity- is basically useless for most things, because RNG simply just doesn't do enough damage to rip hate off a tank unless the RNG is with a really poor group of players.

I couldn't disagree with this more. I have every marksmanship rank15. I would say gastra only shines in certain content with magic based setups. I would also say that annihilator is extremely OPed. I would rate them as Anni>gastra>fomal.

A dead ranger does no DPS.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2019-12-31 14:54:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kaldaek said: »

I couldn't disagree with this more. I have every marksmanship rank15. I would say gastra only shines in certain content with magic based setups. I would also say that annihilator is extremely OPed. I would rate them as Anni>gastra>fomal.

A dead ranger does no DPS.

Could not agree with this last comment more. Currently have R15 Gastra and Annihilator (as well as DP, but this is a RNG forum), R13'ed Fomalhaut, Armageddon, and Gandiva. Outside of wave2 Dyna-D bosses in a full ranged setup, or dedicated Trueflight setups, I find myself using Annihilator the most for general use.

Between the aftermath and the hate properties of Coronach, along with using Decoy Shot, you'll never rip hate and deal incredible damage. The boosts to Coronach Damage with an R15 Annihilator, along with the extra STP to close the gap with a Fomalhaut TP set, really bring it a lot closer to Fomalhaut's DPS. Combined with the flexibility of being able to make BOTH self-darkness and self-light is huge.

While the ratk+10% in a typical full damage TP set (usually made with pieces like some adhemar +1 path C,etc) and fully buffed isn't really helping that much, a TP set full of Malignance gear with its lovely +PDL, combined with the JSE neck's +PDL, really can take advantage of it even in high-buff situations.

Having Chrono bullets does help immensely with closing that Fomalhaut vs Annihilator gap. And yes, you'll still enjoy using and have times for that Fomalhaut R15- its far from useless. But the Anni is so freakin' versatile these days, and I never feel like I'm always on the edge of ripping hate and blowing up the backline of support,etc.

Lastly, and this is also based around low numbers ranged setups- I love doing low man setups (party of 6) with RNG+COR, BRD, GEO, RDM, Tank. Flurry2, chaos+sam rolls, fury/frailty. I'll use Annihilator, COR using Fomalhaut. instead of spamming a 2 step SC of maintaining AM1 or AM2 of just Last Stand Spam, this setup allows a 3 step of COR using Last Stand to proc AM, RNG follows with Coronach, COR closes with AM up Last Stand for either Double Light or Radiance depending on level of AM. Or, have the RNG do the first two steps with Last Stand>Coronach, and the COR already having AM up closes with Last Stand (this way often works best for hate management, vs giving the COR who has fewer hate tools and the additional hate of rolls 2 weaponskills out of every 3- now if the COR has tripleshot up, 1st way can work GREAT for damage). Either way, you're doing the same number of WSs with an additional SC dmg on top of it.

That means over 6 used weaponskills you get FOUR SC damages vs THREE with just two Fomalhauts. Same TP given to the mob, more overall damage.

Build up the Anni, mess around with it in ranged physical damage setups. Its a great weapon.

NO shade thrown on the Gastra. Its our "toy" that can blow someone's face off in the right situations. But we must think of the whole alliance...I often call Gastra RNG my "princess mode"...when everything is being geared to maximizing MY damage vs a balanced alliance DPS (think of RNG style Kei). Both smart ways to deal physical damage AND those maximized magical damage moments are important to Ranger playstyle. We can't be like a "Leaden Salute ONRY" Corsair...we need flexibility. We already don't fit well in mixed setups- so know how to be productive in ANY setup.

---never underestimate an R15 Armageddon. If you need to bounce between physical AND magical damage, there's nothing better. And with modern Double Shot sets, Arma's AM3 is just insane when buffed. A triple proc in the same time as an AM3 proc can often deal as much if not more damage than your weaponskills. That's some huge hate thrown on your tank in a proper Decoy Shot arrangement.---
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [66 days between previous and next post]
By Rixit 2020-03-06 16:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah idk maybe you're just not getting buffs or don't have the gear (idk), but fomal basically always out damages annihilator. Only time I find myself using annihilator is for Fu.

Got roasted for my posts earlier but w/e. Annihilator really kinda sucks in comparison.

Hate isn't really an issue. Like this month in ambu, doesn't matter if you're using a fomal or annihilator, if you go ape ***off the break you're gonna pull hate. If you really stick it to the mobs after the fight has a duration of 30 seconds or longer, then you're not going to pull hate even if you go balls to the wall -- Mind you, solo'ing the imps is really easy if you have a r15 fomal and you're really geared up, and it's not so easy if you are using r15 annihilator and really geared up.

Will report when have r15 arma but would be surprised if I have positive feedback considering there's only a couple of things I can think of where you'd want fire dmg instead of light... and with r15 fomal and r15 gastra you have the best of both already.

Summation I think r15 Annihilator is cool for a few things, but ultimately it's niche. Desired for sure, but niche. There's always the idea that new content in the future could maybe have a use for it vs. other weapons, or they could improve Coronach.
 Asura.Erupt
user: erupt
By Asura.Erupt 2020-03-06 17:19:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah idk maybe you're just not getting buffs or don't have the gear (idk), but fomal basically always out damages annihilator. Only time I find myself using annihilator is for Fu.

Got roasted for my posts earlier but w/e. Annihilator really kinda sucks in comparison.

Hate isn't really an issue. Like this month in ambu, doesn't matter if you're using a fomal or annihilator, if you go ape ***off the break you're gonna pull hate. If you really stick it to the mobs after the fight has a duration of 30 seconds or longer, then you're not going to pull hate even if you go balls to the wall -- Mind you, solo'ing the imps is really easy if you have a r15 fomal and you're really geared up, and it's not so easy if you are using r15 annihilator and really geared up.

Will report when have r15 arma but would be surprised if I have positive feedback considering there's only a couple of things I can think of where you'd want fire dmg instead of light... and with r15 fomal and r15 gastra you have the best of both already.

Summation I think r15 Annihilator is cool for a few things, but ultimately it's niche. Desired for sure, but niche. There's always the idea that new content in the future could maybe have a use for it vs. other weapons, or they could improve Coronach.

Hate feeding a Necro bump or roast. But properly geared coronach pumps great numbers. I feel ambuscade is not really the best place for testing numbers imho. And using Arma is not really about pumping fire damage but riding AM3 white dmg with decoy on your tank. Gastra is great but as others have said having buffs just catered to trueflight doesn't always synergize well with the rest of your group.

Fomal can be a death sentence in many situations and usually you know it before you start blasting those last stands out. Will agree that the aeonic AM skillchains on fomal are pretty huge find myself using dirge when setup for fomal spam.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Makonnen
Server: Carbuncle
user: Numbahz
By Carbuncle.Makonnen 2020-03-06 21:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bottom Line: The Realest & Most Thorough Ranger's around, we Rock all the Bow's & Gun's n ammo's, we are truly empowered & always know what works best, niche... (most of the game is niche).

Fomal IS GREAT!
Anni IS GREAT!
Gandiva IS GREAT!
Arma IS GREAT!
Gastra IS GREAT!
DP IS GREAT!
Fail-Yoshi-NOT it is..a bow.. D->
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-03-06 22:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Will report when have r15 arma but would be surprised if I have positive feedback considering there's only a couple of things I can think of where you'd want fire dmg instead of light...
Asura.Erupt said: »
And using Arma is not really about pumping fire damage but riding AM3 white dmg with decoy on your tank.

Yes. Arma is probably THE most white-damage focused weapon in the entire game, so you can't just compare "which weapon is the best for 'x' WS" and get the whole picture. It just requires gearing a bit differently (all out crit set when Double Shot is down, a mix of Double/Crit when DS is up). And with AGI+70, it's not as if it's a bad option for any ranged WS. It's not Anni's equal for hate control, but Arma is pretty good in that arena too thanks to strong /ra with Decoy Shot and lower enmity magical WS. Wildfire is more of a niche use, TBH (not that it doesn't have its places, like Divergence) - not really the primary selling point of the gun in my mind.

Anni is solid damage and premier enmity management. Gastra is elite TF damage (and probably maximum overall damage potential when that's viable). Fomal is... flashy Last Stands and Radiance, but most likely to get your *** killed.

That being said, not as if Fomal can't get the job done well in many situations. This month's Ambu = you're going to have the best DPS, though a bit bigger risk of getting buffs wiped from pulling hate on an imp before you can kill it. That's honestly more an annoyance than a deal-breaker that will get people killed, but could slow runs down versus something like the more slow and steady approach of Anni w/ Coronach.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-03-07 04:16:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't forget to mention the synergy between an Annihilator user and a Fomalhaut user! Its quite nice to pull a 3 step double-light between those two compared to the traditional 2 step double-light typically experienced between two Fomalhauts.

Last Stand(foma if they need to put AM up, otherwise either)>Coronach>Last Stand(foma user). And 3 WSs in a 3-step means 2 SC dmgs, so more overall damage than 1 free WS +a 2-step, or 3 non-connected WSs.

Just because Fomalhaut pumps out absolutely scary Last Stands and Light/Radiance damage doesn't mean its the best option. Both Armageddon and Annihilator have better white damage to compensate for the lack of Radiance. Both of those have some aspect of -enmity connected to them- be it from the Aftermath of Coronach or the traits of Wildfire. And that means its a helluva lot easier to go full ham on a target without fear of pulling hate.

It sounds like you (Rixit) have Foma and Gastra. I would highly recommend building another option for a different way to deal damage. I don't think any job has more versatile weaponry than Ranger and Corsair; we have weaponry for physical weaponskills, magical weaponskills, white damage...we can cater our damage to both the weaknesses of the target and the needs of the party enmity wise. Versatility in weaponry allows you to be versatile on all fronts vs just having a physical option and a magical one.
By SimonSes 2020-03-07 04:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
Both of those have some aspect of -enmity connected to them- be it from the Aftermath of Coronach or the traits of Wildfire.

The biggest enmity related thing for Annihilator is that Coronach has fixed hate. It will do same hate if it does 1000 damage or if it does 30000 damage. Its not only -25 enmity aftermath. You might know it, but just wanted to point this out.
By Rixit 2020-03-13 15:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
Don't forget to mention the synergy between an Annihilator user and a Fomalhaut user! Its quite nice to pull a 3 step double-light between those two compared to the traditional 2 step double-light typically experienced between two Fomalhauts.

Last Stand(foma if they need to put AM up, otherwise either)>Coronach>Last Stand(foma user). And 3 WSs in a 3-step means 2 SC dmgs, so more overall damage than 1 free WS +a 2-step, or 3 non-connected WSs.

Just because Fomalhaut pumps out absolutely scary Last Stands and Light/Radiance damage doesn't mean its the best option. Both Armageddon and Annihilator have better white damage to compensate for the lack of Radiance. Both of those have some aspect of -enmity connected to them- be it from the Aftermath of Coronach or the traits of Wildfire. And that means its a helluva lot easier to go full ham on a target without fear of pulling hate.

It sounds like you (Rixit) have Foma and Gastra. I would highly recommend building another option for a different way to deal damage. I don't think any job has more versatile weaponry than Ranger and Corsair; we have weaponry for physical weaponskills, magical weaponskills, white damage...we can cater our damage to both the weaknesses of the target and the needs of the party enmity wise. Versatility in weaponry allows you to be versatile on all fronts vs just having a physical option and a magical one.

I have an r15 Annihilator, I just also know that a r15 Fomal is going to deal more damage. I do like the fact that Coronach has different skillchain properties, but it is absolutely a weaker weaponskill with BiS augs (herc body +30 ranged acc, WSD 4%, AGI+10; herc feet +10 AGI, 5% WSD; epaminandos ring, etc etc etc).

r15 fomal is just a better weapon for damage. When buffed, when not buffed, it's just better. Not sure why there is some sort of myth or legend that Annihilator is a better weapon here, or why I got roasted for saying yeah that's just not true at all.

As for Annihilator... yeah it has uses. As far as hate is concerned... there is decoy shot... You make a valid point for white damage, but white damage doesn't compensate for the lack of difference in weaponskill damage with RARE exception (the only one I can think of is Fu when Fu has absorbed buffs so that way he takes huge damage). In other extremely rare scenarios, Annihilator may be useful in the future. If SE changse relic weaponskills in some way/ways then maybe the gun becomes more relevant. But if we're all being honest, the best use for Annihilator is it has the best bullets to tp in; otherwise a Fomal is going to be used for 99% of situations where we're talking physical damage from a gun.

As for Gastra. There's lots of fights in this game that I use Gastra in, that most people just haven't even thought of or aren't open minded to for some strange reason. Gastra is a super bad *** weapon skill if you are super geared and have a geo. As far as disrupting party set up, it happens, but then you're not going gastra, or the party wasn't formed properly. Fights where Gastra is remotely relevant, meaning fights where magic damage is legitimate, gastra should outdeal basically anyone with the exception of maybe an equally beyond BiS geared COR. But in those set ups, often you want a COR to help tp faster, and Leaden opens trueflight SC.

Think my post though original was more so about the disdain that I have towards people here saying the sky is green, when it's not green at all.
 Asura.Outlawbruce
user: Cronnus
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2020-03-13 16:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone gonna let Rixit know decoy shot is worthless on weaponskills?

No one is arguing which weaponskill does more damage. R15 fomal definitely does. But you're going to pull hate even with decoy shot. Because lolfomalwhitedmg. Anni isnt far off from damage at all, and it keeps things way safer. I never touch fomal but for its bullets. Otherwise /toss
[+]
First Page 2