Decent Low/mid Lvl Mage Gear?????

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Asura » Decent low/mid lvl mage gear?????
Decent low/mid lvl mage gear?????
 Asura.Msmissy
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: msmissy
By Asura.Msmissy 2019-02-15 19:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I’m a returning player after a 7 year absence, but brought out a mule to start from scratch. My only issue so far has been decent gear. The stuff either doesn’t exist or it is insanely expensive.

It’s no wonder new people are so few and far between.

Anyone looking to get rid of old gear at a reasonable price please message me.
By Chimerawizard 2019-02-15 20:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Most levels go by too fast to bother using actual gear throughout nowadays.
I'd suggest skill-up food or maybe magic accuracy food since you're looking for stuff for a mage.
Some of which is sold by the Curio Moogle. Regardless of you level, you'll get excellent use out of food.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2019-02-15 20:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

You can do the AF quests as level appropriate with Trusts, which is largely where the better mage items come from a lowish level anyway. You can also get generic gear and weapons via Sparks.
 Asura.Msmissy
By Asura.Msmissy 2019-02-15 20:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I’ll look into food (not sure why I didn’t think of this). I’m doing a melee ing rdm so working on balance.

I’ve gotten one trust, but without help to get my missions done, the next has to wait until I get to a high enough lvl.

Once I get to 50 ish I guess I’ll be ok since I kept pretty much everything just in case of lvl cap. I just hate having sub standard gear as I lvl up.

Thank you both for replying :)
By Chimerawizard 2019-02-15 21:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Msmissy said: »
I’ve gotten one trust, but without help to get my missions done, the next has to wait until I get to a high enough lvl.
Don't forget about Records of Eminence, and to join up with a Unity.
You should be able to get at least 6 trusts very fast.
*still only able to summon 3 at once until you've done some missions though.

EDIT: I'll just leave these links here as well in case you'd like to give them a read.
They are quite long, but also really help bring someone up to speed with the changes to the game.
Quickstart 1~119 Guide and Returning to Vana'diel.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2019-02-15 21:05:06
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a whole series of RoE to do for Trusts that are basically get cipher, learn, summon that trust to get another cipher that'll set you up with a balanced party's worth of trusts. Not the most awesome ones, but, solid enough for what you're talking about.
 Asura.Msmissy
By Asura.Msmissy 2019-02-15 21:23:45
Link | Quote | Reply

There really is a lot to figure out. None of this stuff existed when I stopped playing.

I have started RoE....looks like I need to finish more objectives before I can do the Unity stuff. Good thing I’m in no hurry and love learning about this game.
By kishr 2019-02-16 02:40:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Best opinion is yell for a ls saying you want to join, and ask ppl in shell for advice. Loads of ppl bored looking to help you when they can I would imagine. Gl!
 Asura.Msmissy
By Asura.Msmissy 2019-02-16 09:48:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I’ve discovered that no one wants a noob that only plays part time. I do have a main acct(this one) that is a lvl 90 blm (and various other higher lvl jobs), but I would have to spend a lot of time remembering how to play her and build the macros.

It’s a work in progress I suppose. A bit frustrating for someone who was once a decently respected player.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2019-02-16 11:19:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I've seen a number of new/returning players welcomed into social shells and helped get up to speed. I'd say to check the concierge NPCs as well for an LS.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-02-16 11:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I’ve discovered that no one wants a noob that only plays part time. I do have a main acct(this one) that is a lvl 90 blm (and various other higher lvl jobs), but I would have to spend a lot of time remembering how to play her and build the macros.

It’s a work in progress I suppose. A bit frustrating for someone who was once a decently respected player.

Not to be yet another person to bash Asura, but part of the problems you're encountering with not accepting noobs is because of the server you're on. Not so much a matter of the personalities there, just sheer numbers. They don't have to "wait" for you to gear up/get CP/missions done,etc because the pool of choices for people to run with is so big.

On smaller servers, we often have to find people with good potential (good attitude, willing to gear up a needed job to get into an event rather than hold out hope for their dream job, desire to understand the mechanics of the game) and help them along to get them ready for events.

When your average server population is around 350, half of which are either afk bazaars or multiboxed mules, it means typically less than 100 active individuals are really playing the game at one time. This has some negatives- like low odds for pickup content and a limited auction house. But it also comes with some perks that aren't initially seen, like vets more willing to help out returnees because they're hoping to turn you into a viable shell member for the long run.
[+]
 Asura.Msmissy
By Asura.Msmissy 2019-02-16 19:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the info. Spent some time doing the RoE stuff (very nice for quickly lvling up) and joined a unity, but I think that was a bit premature. I’m not even close to a high enough lvl to participate in those fights.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-02-16 19:43:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the info. Spent some time doing the RoE stuff (very nice for quickly lvling up) and joined a unity, but I think that was a bit premature. I’m not even close to a high enough lvl to participate in those fights.

Joining a unity is not like an in-game linkshell for doing UNM fights- you'll still end up doing those via /shout or /linkshell. Its to ally you with one of a unique trust that offers different benefits, will allow you to earn accolades and sparks at different rates based on your unity's "rank" (updated weekly), and varies the "Unity" based bonuses on some gear, again by rank.

Being in one for you right now means access to that trust more than anything, and that is very valuable in itself.
[+]
 Leviathan.Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2019-02-16 19:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Once you earn enough accolades for the conquest period you'll be able to call the Unity leader as a trust. So, it's never too early to join one. The best healers, sans Ygnas, are Unity leaders.
[+]