Forum » Windower » Support » GearSwap Tutorial Video
GearSwap Tutorial Video
 Asura.Byrne
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Byrne 2018-12-13 06:40:46
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

Here's a video tutorial for GearSwap basics...

Let me admit offhand that while I've some experience with GearSwap, I'm not a programmer myself, and there's lots I don't know.

I originally posted this in the GearSwap support thread, but looking back on it, it doesn't seem to belong there, and it could go unnoticed; as I know that this is something many were asking for, I felt it was the right move to simply start a new topic page for it (especially for those with a particular aversion to reading >.>; TLDR community, this is for you).

Hopefully this is helpful to those that had no idea how to start or what to do.
[+]
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-12-13 12:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice video.

I kind of feel like it's still not 'basic' enough for newbies tho.
[+]
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-12-13 19:38:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Arislan said: »
Nice video.

I kind of feel like it's still not 'basic' enough for newbies tho.

Yeah, that worried me too... My youtube account is new so I was unable to make a video that exceeds 15 minutes. I can follow up with another more unplugged style one that just walks from the top to bottom of the document I made and show it in action. I felt like I was moving a million miles an hour just to try and cover the basics @.@;
By Staleyx 2018-12-14 00:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Very nice guide. Hoping this gains attention of new players.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Spiketaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: Kerokun
By Carbuncle.Spiketaru 2018-12-14 01:13:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Byrne said: »
I felt like I was moving a million miles an hour just to try and cover the basics @.@;
Tell me about it. I was planning on making a GearSwap tutorial video of my own, and when I did my first runthrough, I ended up at 32 minutes. There's a lot to talk about.
By Zerowone 2018-12-14 07:13:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Very informative for an introduction. Good Job.

One thing. Around the 11 minute mark when you’re covering loading and reloading gearswap and .lua files you don’t cover what //gs r is a shorthand of. It’s not a big deal but in terms of informing/educating a novice user, indicating it’s shorthand for //gs reload could be helpful.

Though really one could do an entire video on shorthand in Windower.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-12-15 19:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

When I mention that I should also point out that it will reload the lua for the job you are ON, not neccessarily the last one you loaded. A niche distinction, but useful to know, nonetheless.
By Zerowone 2018-12-15 20:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

If/When you do, consider counter exampling with //lua u gs ; //lua l gs ; //lua r gs along with //gs l custom file.lua

Some these would only apply if you’re modifying GS itself and want to test changes on fly/hot swapping versions.

99.9% of users will probably not have a real need of those commands. However, it’s useful in pointing out why //gs r ; //gs reload; //gearswap r; //gearswap reload will only reload the currently loaded file.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-12-15 22:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Rather, //gs r ; //gs reload; //gearswap r; //gearswap reload will only load the file for the job you are on. For instance if you are troubleshooting a PLD lua but you are on Blue Mage and you have the PLD lua loaded, and you use //gs r... it will load your BLU lua.

this is important because if you were ON pld, but were working on a PLD2 lua, //gs r would reload PLD lua, not PLD2