New Install Won't Connect After Opening Cutscene

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » New install won't connect after opening cutscene
New install won't connect after opening cutscene
By kaiju9 2018-11-13 11:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I just installed FFXI on a new Win10 PC. DirectPlay is enabled, and installation/updates seemed to go fine (I downloaded files & followed instructions here: Official site Windows install). I'm clicking 'run as admin' when I click the FFXI shortcut.

I'm able to login to POL and progress to the screen with the "Play" button. After hitting "Play," the opening ~5 minute cutscene plays. After the CS, I hit the OK button, which should lead me to the character selection screen, but the progress bar never reaches 100% -- around 60% it backs out and says the connection was terminated or is unavailable, with POL 512. This backs me out to POL, and shows POL 515.

This happened twice this morning with vanilla, and once with Windower4. I can connect just fine on my old Win7 PC.

Any ideas? I'm new to Win10 - not sure if there's something stupid I'm missing.
 Ragnarok.Casey
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2018-11-13 14:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Can always try turning on connection check in PlayOnline before logging in -- it's in network settings. That seems to fix strange issues that some people have.
By kaiju9 2018-11-13 15:47:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Saw a suggestion in another thread to turn off the opening movie (I thought the movie was a 1-time thing, didn't know you could / had to turn it off). That fixed my problem.

In FFXI Config Tool > Misc. tab > disable opening movie.
 Shiva.Spathaian
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2018-11-13 16:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea when I used to play any time I let the opening cinematic completely play out the connection would time out before I could make it to the character select scene. I had to skip the movie before about the 1 min mark otherwise I'd have to restart.