Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » DD for Endgame
DD for Endgame
First Page 2 3
By emmawyatt 2018-11-06 12:27:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Question for everyone. I am currently about to master my DRK with AG Ragnarok. I am aware that most people dont like bringing DRK into most Endgame content because of the amount of damage we seem to sustain, expecially against AOEs where we cant dread spikes it.

I am trying to see if there is a DD job that people are currently bringing into Endgame for stuff. I really hate playing Mage jobs. I do have SAM at Su3 currently, with a Masa that I just need to AG. Let me know.

Thank you
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Kyte 2018-11-06 12:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

They're all fine, including DRK.
By Afania 2018-11-06 12:37:43
Link | Quote | Reply

emmawyatt said: »
Question for everyone. I am currently about to master my DRK with AG Ragnarok. I am aware that most people dont like bringing DRK into most Endgame content because of the amount of damage we seem to sustain, expecially against AOEs where we cant dread spikes it.

I am trying to see if there is a DD job that people are currently bringing into Endgame for stuff. I really hate playing Mage jobs. I do have SAM at Su3 currently, with a Masa that I just need to AG. Let me know.

Thank you

People bring drk to endgame all the time. Use dt set and DS NV drain 3 for surviability if necessary.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-11-06 12:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just a matter of locating a group of not-retards (easier said than done) then proving you're not a glass-cannon.
[+]
By emmawyatt 2018-11-06 12:38:40
Link | Quote | Reply

everyone tells me not to bring DRK. I wish i could get into a good group as DRK. I mean, i do some serious dmg, and have full DT gearsets as well as everything else. Working on Anguta as well.
By emmawyatt 2018-11-06 12:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

so true
By Afania 2018-11-06 12:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

everyone tells me not to bring DRK.

What do they bring then?

Edit: many pt don't use defensive buffs resulting dd die more often than they should. Tell them use defensive bubbles more lol.
By emmawyatt 2018-11-06 12:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

most people I seem to go with want:

RUN or PLD
WHM
GEO
COR
BRD

SMN x infinity
[+]
By emmawyatt 2018-11-06 12:42:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya, everyone is all about "lets kill it in under 60 seconds with damage buffs and go home".
By Afania 2018-11-06 12:44:13
Link | Quote | Reply

most people I seem to go with want:

RUN or PLD
WHM
GEO
COR
BRD

SMN x infinity

If they use pet setup then it's better not to use melee as well. So that's understandable. It's not the issue with DD job, it's the strategy that your ls choose.

However SMN setup doesn't need a brd and often doesn't need whm too so that's still not quite right, lol.
By Brynach 2018-11-06 12:44:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Those ppl telling you not to bring drk have some narrow view of it probably because they cant survive or have been ruined by some noob not knowing what to do.

But, reviewing your last post, I see now why they say don't bring DRK... SMN everything.
By Ruaumoko 2018-11-06 12:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I really hate playing Mage jobs
You might have some trouble. I've found that the best endgame players are adaptable above all as few people like coming as the same job for months on end.
[+]
By Brynach 2018-11-06 12:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »
I really hate playing Mage jobs
You might have some trouble. I've found that the best endgame players are adaptable above all as few people like coming as the same job for months on end.

Also a good point. Sometimes you gotta suck it up and play a mage job; it builds character.
By Afania 2018-11-06 12:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I know a many people who never play mage and still do endgame on regular basis just fine. Resourceful Groups can accommodate their job spread.

So it's alright, "be versatile" is just an option, not a requirement.
[+]
By emmawyatt 2018-11-06 12:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

never said I wanted to be the best endgame player, I just play FFXI for relaxation, not to stress myself out. Ive had past LS's tell me that if I couldnt dualbox/triplebox 1-2 COR/GEO for the group that I couldnt come, and no offense I find having to play multiples at once stressful. Its not like im inexperienced or anything, ive been actively playing since NA release. I just found out over time that I really dont enjoy playing mage classes, as I tend to get bored easily on them, and its not due to inactivity, as the good mages are always busy doing something. I have all classes @ 99 and decent gear for all of them, so its not like I wont try them, ive tried them all.

I just need to find a good endgame group that adapts to a melee setup I guess.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-11-06 13:06:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I am aware that most people dont like bringing DRK into most Endgame content because of the amount of damage we seem to sustain, expecially against AOEs where we cant dread spikes it.

Who are "most people"? They would all be wrong. DRK takes the very same damage as other DDs who don't have access to Dread spikes or a huge HP pool via Drain3, and they can wear heavier armor, so they end up taking less damage in the end. This logic is silly.

everyone tells me not to bring DRK.

Blacklist these people and move on, as they are probably have only a basic concept of end game strategies and don't know job strengths and value.

DRK is incredible for endgame, but it does take some balancing that is different than SAM or DRG, for instance. You do have to take time to cast things like Endark, Drain3, absorb spells, dread spikes, prep scarlet delirium appropriately etc. If you're just a basic DRK you'll be no worse off than most other DD jobs in an endgame scenario. And DRK does mildly suffer from accuracy issues, but since you're using ragnarok you should have no issues there. Even AG Rag DRK is "good enough" for nearly all content in the game right now (I have one, and swap to it rarely, but it still works fine). However, if you are just a careless WS spamming DRK you will pull hate quickly and die immediately. You need to leverage damage output with survival if possible, as that is DRKs biggest downfall (taking hate, dying, doing no damage). You improve your survivability on DRK and your alliance liability goes down. Don't be that guy who pulls hate 20 seconds into the fight and eats dirt moments later, making the entire run longer than necessary.

Overall, DRK is one of the better jobs to use for Endgame if you meet the accuracy, since they have neat tools that would favor them over other jobs and they are native attackers and can wear a lot of DT/Hybrid gear that does not slow down their dps (sulevia+2 hands/raetic+1 etc, 6k+ HP pool and unlimited HP/MP healing reserves with Apoc). They have access to things like Infernal Scythe and Absorb STR/VIT, which helps the entire group. Whoever is feeding you information about DRK not being ideal is doing you a disservice.
 Asura.Sirtaint
user: Taint
By Asura.Sirtaint 2018-11-06 13:10:13
Link | Quote | Reply

How far into Anguta are you? If not too far swap to Lionheart. You'll find lots of groups looking for RUN and Lionheart is one of the best DPS weapons. Another great Aeonic option is Chango. DRK and WAR share lots of gear as well.

AG Masa is also a great endgame weapon and SAM has the added advantage of using Kenda gear for great acc/dps and meva.
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2018-11-06 13:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

You can bring a Master DRK with AG Rag to a lot of things..

But if you're not being taken for whatever reason and are intent on being a DD – maybe go Master your WAR?

After GEO, COR, BRD, WHM, THF, PLD/RUN are filled out, WAR seems to be the DD people look for most in my experience. I would think WAR would get invites over DRK, but i've played with enough good DRKs lately that I wouldn't hesitate to go with them to anything.

I say if you love DRK, find a group that will let you go
By emmawyatt 2018-11-06 13:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Feels good to hear you say that. I have taken alot of time and effort to gear my DRK for endgame. I tend to use all my utility when available, and/or timed when needed.

Ya, I am in process of an Apoc as well, working on last stage currently. I am constantly grabbing 6K+ pool with Drain 3, and ive hit as high as 8800 with Magic Bursting it. My goal is to make that to 9999 eventually. Currently scythe wise, i use Raetic for the +1 hits to keep tp going rapidly, and solo skillchain Entropy > Cross Reaper for darkness, and MB the drain. My drk has very little accuracy issues, but I am working on a high accuracy set for when i get Anguta.
By emmawyatt 2018-11-06 13:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess im gonna have to prob swap servers again eventually to find a group that can accomodate melee setups .....
By emmawyatt 2018-11-06 13:15:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Reichleiu said: »

But if you're not being taken for whatever reason and are intent on being a DD – maybe go Master your WAR?

After GEO, COR, BRD, WHM, THF, PLD/RUN are filled out, WAR seems to be the DD people look for most in my experience. I would think WAR would get invites over DRK, but i've played with enough good DRKs lately that I wouldn't hesitate to go with them to anything.

Ive thought about using WAR, simply because I have the Rag already.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-11-06 13:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Just finished my apoc and am eager to use it on something. DRK has a ton of utility, you should really stick with it. You will find that it is better to hold back (sub ninja, drg) to keep your chances of survival going, but I like the constant tasks on DRK that keep you occupied. And with the WS changes recently and Ratri/+1, Scythe is really good option vs GS. I thought about making Anguta, but more damage by an already amazing dd isn't as niche/neat as something unique like HP drain and JA haste, which opens up other options. Anguta is very good to work towards though, and if you're midway there you'll love it I'm sure.

You don't have to swap from DRK to SAM or WAR to get invites, DRK is well suited for everything at this point in the game. Just have to carve out a reputation and you'll be set.
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2018-11-06 13:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't go wrong with Warrior. Survivability, high damage output, versatility – no reason not to gear it up if you already have a decent weapon for it.
 Lakshmi.Konvict
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Konvict 2018-11-06 13:27:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Go for it man. So what if it's not the best weapon out. If you have good gear sets an AG Rag should be fine. Especially with songs, rolls and geomancy. Good luck.
 Asura.Nuance
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2018-11-06 13:27:49
Link | Quote | Reply

My LS tends to melee everything except aeonic helms because we’re largely lazy and like the easy button. Always do Omen and dynamis with DD as well. You can really see who excels at what in a wave3 clear run. The people good at mages are often the better DDs as well so my more seasoned players are usually and unfortunately stuck on the mages because I Don’t trust other players to play mages the majority of the time. :( versatility really is key for endgame.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-11-06 13:31:42
Link | Quote | Reply

When I see a WAR default to a Rag I put them on GEO or BRD, DRK would be no different. If that statement doesn't make sense, then you are not yet ready for high end DPS fights.

The thing with DPS jobs is you need to be a master of multiple skillsets, some of which you won't gain without playing mage and tank jobs. Putting that person in a DD role in a high end fight just results in a red greasy smear on the ground and them being carried.
 Asura.Sirtaint
user: Taint
By Asura.Sirtaint 2018-11-06 14:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

When I see a WAR default to a Rag I put them on GEO or BRD, DRK would be no different. If that statement doesn't make sense, then you are not yet ready for high end DPS fights.

The thing with DPS jobs is you need to be a master of multiple skillsets, some of which you won't gain without playing mage and tank jobs. Putting that person in a DD role in a high end fight just results in a red greasy smear on the ground and them being carried.

/rolleyes

A well played AG Rag DRK/WAR is more than fine for 99% of this game including Wave3.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Watusa
user: Watusa
By Lakshmi.Watusa 2018-11-06 14:19:23
Link | Quote | Reply

WAR, DRK, SAM, THF etc... Pick your poison, play it well, and don't worry about having to be the elite tier 99 percentile maximum BiS DPS DD unless you're playing with a bunch of fukking dorks having a pissing contest.
[+]
 Asura.Elazar
user: Elazar1
By Asura.Elazar 2018-11-06 14:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Watusa said: »
WAR, DRK, SAM, THF etc... Pick your poison, play it well, and don't worry about having to be the elite tier 99 percentile maximum BiS DPS DD unless you're playing with a bunch of fukking dorks having a pissing contest.
But we do like a good old pissing contest. Is fun to have competition, and push each other, only make people better. I just can’t do it’s about the taking part bit.
 Asura.Elazar
user: Elazar1
By Asura.Elazar 2018-11-06 14:36:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Nuance said: »
My LS tends to melee everything except aeonic helms because we’re largely lazy and like the easy button. Always do Omen and dynamis with DD as well. You can really see who excels at what in a wave3 clear run. The people good at mages are often the better DDs as well so my more seasoned players are usually and unfortunately stuck on the mages because I Don’t trust other players to play mages the majority of the time. :( versatility really is key for endgame.
And I %100 agree with this the DD’s definitely do make for great mages, since they know the inside and outs of the jobs and what is needed and to look for.
First Page 2 3