Monstrosity - So What Is It Good For?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Monstrosity - so what is it good for?
Monstrosity - so what is it good for?
 Asura.Apelila
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Apelila
By Asura.Apelila 2018-10-27 18:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Re:title -

are there any uses for this or is it an aside with no payoff other than finally getting to play as mobs?

I mean, I like the way it plays. But at level 50 on a mob with nothing giving drops and no quests/direction in game, I'm questioning if there is a reward and if maybe I'm doing something very wrong.

Difficulty level:
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-10-27 18:39:18
Link | Quote | Reply

So, search doesn't work at all.

You get a vorseal for doing some MON
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2018-10-27 18:50:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Monstrosity's payoff is playing the most fun thing that XI has ever offered
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2018-10-27 19:14:14
Link | Quote | Reply

but nobody ever wants to fight my white tiger :(
 Asura.Saphyne
user: saphy
By Asura.Saphyne 2018-10-27 19:30:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Absolutely nothing
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2018-10-27 20:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I enjoyed playing it because it was pretty fun to run around as an overpowered monster and slaughter stuff.

Its main failure has always been the lack of applicability to the rest of the game. If you could use one Instinct outside Monstrosity or use Infamy/conflict points to get something useful (the gorgets were a flop), for instance, everyone would have done it.
 Asura.Apelila
user: Apelila
By Asura.Apelila 2018-10-27 22:06:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
I enjoyed playing it because it was pretty fun to run around as an overpowered monster and slaughter stuff.

I have no words for the joy that has been petrifying enemies after this long of not having a long-term stop in game. And the weird, workable job combo's some mob's have.

The whole system is pretty neat, but as XI is full of cool systems that have less than stellar overall payouts it's good to know I'm not missing out on anything here by not giving it the absolutely insane amount of time it looks like it could devour.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-10-27 22:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I love monstrosity!

wish you could just attack normal players while being an nm ;.;

wish I could wander around more freely too, but those are the only low spots imo

TONS OF FUN
[+]
 Asura.Cloudblade
By Asura.Cloudblade 2018-10-27 22:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I love monstrosity, but nobody will ever fight me in it. It does have "gear" that you can get, but the requirements and the worth are not equal. To be able to get gear the people fighting the monster have to have a set rank, if they win it severely hurts the rank of the monster (rank determines the amount of bonus traits you can give), and the reward equipment wasn't good even back when it came out.

Sadly, people didn't play the content due to this so SE said they weren't going to do any further updates to the content. Yes, SE screwed up the content, blamed the players, and then punished them.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2018-10-27 23:46:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah it's probably one of the most pure fun things made in the game... and they completely dropped the ball on it. The no real rewards thing was one big aspect but even then it still developed quite a follow... but then they stopped doing any updates including ones they had promised before initial release well in the end only so much you can actually do in it.

Really a shame think the cheers from stupid monster rearing would've been a great reward for it and it's kind of funny conceptually how similar the idea is (raise monsters for some small player benefit) but one is behind a boring daily check in and another is a fun content
[+]
 Shiva.Devastation
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Devastation 2018-10-27 23:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2018-10-28 04:57:09
Link | Quote | Reply

SE did, if I recall correctly, add some of the resources required for the next set of monsters that were going be released.

The ingenious part of Monstrosity was that it used resources that were already in game. All the animations already existed and it is unclear to me how much of the TP move information (modifiers/effects/levels) were novel. I think there is a very real chance that they were just exposing resources that already existed.

We know that monsters get certain TP moves at certain levels and that there is a different entry in the monster skills resource dependent on the effect of the TP move (for moves that are named the same but do different things). All the TP moves that I checked at the time had IDs corresponding to a real-monster move with the same effects (as far as I could tell.)

The hardest part of the system (implementation of the actual MON job and species swapping infrastructure) was already done. It's just sad that they failed to complete or motivate it.

Oh well. Now the system exists so daring dancer behemoth can slaughter goblins in buburimu just as tanaka intended.
[+]