FFXI Suddenly Stuttering
 Asura.Lunafreya
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2018-08-23 10:26:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi all,

I have read a ton of topics this morning about this and tried a bunch of things to fix it and I am at a loss/kinda losing my ***.

I played last night and the game was fine. Today, every 1-3 seconds I have a stutter step type of thing going on, even when I spin my camera around its like the game freezes up for a split second every few seconds and then continues on. It's borderline unplayable this way. I even notice it on the character select screen.

I don't have the FindAll addon downloaded or loaded when I am using windower.
Happens with and without windower.
Turned off QoS Packet Scheduler in my wifi adapter settings.
Tried setting affinity to 1 core.
Turned off firewalls/antivirus.
System restore to prior the current version update of FFXI.
Rolled back driver on my GPU.

Any help would be appreciated because I am borderline raging out at this point >;(

I am willing to try to uninstall/reinstall everything FFXI related if I have to, but if I do that and still have the issue my head might explode.
 Odin.Vasche
Server: Odin
By Odin.Vasche 2018-08-23 10:32:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you happen to have a controller installed on your system? I used to play with an Xbox 360 controller and if I'd start the game without having the controller connected, it'd do exactly that.
[+]
 Asura.Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2018-08-23 10:32:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry forgot to mention that...nope no controller and gamepad is not enabled.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-08-23 10:34:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you using that "equipviewer" plugin? I had to stop using that one, as good as it was, as it kept lagging me out every 3-5 seconds. It got so annoying, I deleted it.

Also, are you using any dgvoodoo upgrades?
 Asura.Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2018-08-23 10:35:30
Link | Quote | Reply

No equip viewer and don't use dgvoodoo either.

No idea :(
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-08-23 10:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lunafreya said: »
I played last night and the game was fine. Today, every 1-3 seconds I have a stutter step type of thing going on, even when I spin my camera around its like the game freezes up for a split second every few seconds and then continues on.

Have you tried rolling back your system on windows to a previous build, perhaps about a week ago? Sometimes windows updates overnight and makes small changes to your PCs performance, and it affects your game in minor ways. I have a nagging issue where at any given time where there is too much action going on the screen, it suddenly freezes and I have to use ctrl+alt+del to close via task manager. Happens 1-2 times per night, but does not happen ever on my crappy laptop, and can't figure out why. A LS member of mine told me to adjust to a "Windows 7 Compatibility" version to pair with the game, but it still persists.

I would try something like that before doing a full re-install. But if nothing else fails, If you have the time and want to get to the root cause, I would do a full re-install, perhaps of windows and then ffxi and gradually add things to the game (ashita, windower, xiview, etc) and see if it occurs. That, of course, is a drastic solution that you may not be interested in doing right now.
 Asura.Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2018-08-23 10:59:48
Link | Quote | Reply

@Buukki I did do a system restore to 2 weeks ago actually and the issue persisted, its the current build I am on now actually.

I had a pending windows update, which I just did and rebooted (even though I have rebooted several times up to this point) and the stutter is gone.

What. the actual. ***.
 Cerberus.Drayco
Server: Cerberus
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2018-08-23 11:03:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I have an Intel i7 8700k and that kernel *** they push into my system every update was causing the same thing for me. It ended up being a process Antimaleware Service Executable. This is a security that is supposed to run when the CPU is idle, but it was grabbing 60-70% of my CPU resources while I was playing FFXI (dualbox 60fps and 144ghz). Had to do a bunch of online suggestions for work arounds to remove it, but I finally did.

I wouldn't have guessed it was CPU related (considering the power of my PC) but I had my fans set to thermal coloring and they kept turning red so I knew something was up. I'm full liquid cooled too.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Suteru
user: Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2018-08-23 11:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I had an issue like, this, it only went away when I installed dgvoodoo.
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-08-23 11:27:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lunafreya said: »
@Buukki I did do a system restore to 2 weeks ago actually and the issue persisted, its the current build I am on now actually.

I had a pending windows update, which I just did and rebooted (even though I have rebooted several times up to this point) and the stutter is gone.

What. the actual. ***.
It’s the Russians

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.