users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Smite ATK bonus not calculating correctly w- buffs
Smite ATK bonus not calculating correctly w- buffs
 Kujata.Eagleheart
Server: Kujata
Game: FFXI
By Kujata.Eagleheart 2018-07-02 23:09:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Small sample size, but would like to mention that Aislynia and I on Valefor were doing some tests on a whim tonight, because our results from Chaos Roll were not coming back quite right.

TL;DR: after some quick testing on DRK and COR, there was a sizable discrepancy between our relative gains from Chaos Roll. We then added my alt's Samurai into the testing, and her numbers came back equal to the COR. At this point, we suspected Smite was the problem, and so brought my alt's Samurai back out with /WAR for Smite I. Sure enough, gains from Chaos Roll began to diverge between the Corsair and SAM/WAR.

what's probably going on is that the Smite ATK bonus is not being calculated as our "base attack" for buff spells and effects. I am not sure if this is already known, the search function keeps crashing for me. >.> I am also not sure if this is intentional on Dev Team's part, if they didn't want twohander DDs to get too much more edge with the attack bonus, but I feel it worth pointing out that this is going on, because it's also affecting hand-to-hand weapon jobs (namely MNK and PUP) and they are not presently in a good place; the relatively small Smite bonus they already got is now even less meaningful.

Should point out that Last Resort from DRK is also affected, so far as I can see. >.> Our own buff is getting nerfed by Smite.

Any mathy people wanna pitch in? I'll post some initial data tomorrow once I'm not 3/4 asleep.
By clearlyamule 2018-07-02 23:30:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Well it's hard to pitch in math wise without numbers but your descriptions make it sound like it's working exactly like all percentage based buffs. As in you are correct they aren't separate steps that count to your base they all are applied to your actual base. Otherwise you'd get some crazy high amounts if each was multiplied seperately
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2018-07-02 23:31:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Smite's a percentage boost, so shouldn't it be the exact same as every other percentage boost?
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2018-07-03 06:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Smite is a % based buff it will not count for your base attack like say Minuet or Food will. It's additive with Chaos Roll.

So say you have 1500 Base Attack and had T2 Smite(152/1024) and a naked COR Chaos of 4 (256/1024)

1500 * (408/1024) = 597(floored) increase to attack for 2,097 total.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-07-03 07:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chiaia said: »
Smite is a % based buff it will not count for your base attack like say Minuet or Food will

Neither of those is a percentage buff but a static buff.

It's always been Base * Percentages where

Base = (Skill + STR Bonus + Attack Traits + Gifts + Food + Minuets + Any other Static value buff)

Percentages = (Chaos + Berserk / LR + Fury + Attack Up)

Defense Down effects are treated the same way, with all the percentages being additive.
 Kujata.Eagleheart
Server: Kujata
By Kujata.Eagleheart 2018-07-03 08:46:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, I understand now @_@ Went back and ran the math again with the above from my documented values last night and it all checks out; I was doing the math incorrectly, I had thought Smite actually increased the base ATK rating rather than calculated as laid out above.

*~* TY for the clarification!! Now maybe I should take the post down somehow...
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2018-07-03 09:38:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Smite is a % based buff it will not count for your base attack like say Minuet or Food will

Base = (Skill + STR Bonus + Attack Traits + Gifts + Food + Minuets + Any other Static value buff)

Defense Down effects are treated the same way, with all the percentages being additive.
I literally said the same thing. o.O

Unless I'm misreading your first sentence and you were just trying to clarify why even more. If so my bad.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
Server: Carbuncle
user: Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2018-07-03 11:16:11
Link | Quote | Reply

No, it's just Saevel trying to be more righter about something he actually knows.
Everyone in this thread is drunk.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-07-03 12:39:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

I literally said the same thing. o.O

Unless I'm misreading your first sentence and you were just trying to clarify why even more. If so my bad.

Sorry I didn't word it very well, I was trying to clarify that percentage buffs should be treated separately from static buffs. The OP assumed smite was somehow a static buff even though it's always been a percentage.