Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Paladin AoE Enmity
Paladin AoE Enmity
 Bahamut.Shozokui
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2018-06-23 05:19:15
Link | Quote | Reply

In mainly Omen, generally the best idea is to gather a bunch of mobs and let your team AoE them down. Whether that be via Summoner Thunderspark/Stun combos or BLM, BLU nukes.

I am a journeyman PLD in that I have a large amount of gear save for Burtgang and Moonlight accessories and generally don't have issues with single-target enmity or getting crushed (taking too much damage).

What's the best way to be holding AoE enmity? Currently I'm relying solely on Seninel/Rampart/Warcry. If any of those are not up at the start of a pull (maybe cleared the previous floor very fast), I cannot pull more than a mob or two otherwise the mobs end up on our WHM or more commonly our DD.

I've tried curing others, however, if you're at the point where other people are taking enough damage to matter, you already done *** up.

Am I missing something fundamental? What are others' suggestions?

---------------------
Determined Solution:

Well, with all the information I was given here - I was able to devise a super effective way of doing this. This is tested multiple times to be working well.

1 - Aggro Everything (Can be tricky, make sure you don't engage anything if you want to be healed properly without *** your healer. While you're not on the enmity table, your healer won't be put on the enmity table for healing you, so no voke/flash pulling.)

2 - Have a Bard or BLM Sleepga, SMN stun works too. Now that person is on the Enmity table for EVERYTHING.

3 - Cure that player. Now by proxy, you're on the enmity table for everything.

4 - Use Sentinel, Warcry, Rampart or other big enmity+ abilities.

5 - Engage transcended mobs (Your group will likely be fine if 1 or 2 DDs pull the smaller mobs, transcendeds usually hit kinda hard. Make sure you voke/flash them.

6 - Keep your buffs up (Phalanx, Crusade, Reprisal). The less damage you take, the more enmity you retain.

7 - Use circle blade (every bit of damage helps)

If you follow those steps and your group's DD makes sure to follow them too (not breaking sleep too early, etc) you will have very successful, very clean AoE runs.
 Asura.Tydis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Asura
user: tidis
By Asura.Tydis 2018-06-23 06:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone else will be able to provide more detailed info on particular spells and such, but for AoE enmity, going /BLU is going to be king.
By Taint 2018-06-23 07:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Just rotate a big emnity JA for each pull. Flash/bash/voke the trans. The fodder should melt and be controlled by the AoE DPS. (Stunned/slept)

/blu is best for AoE hate but it’s not needed for Omen and i prefer /war for the mid and end boss mobs.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-06-23 07:23:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Blank gaze, geist wall, soporifif, sheep song, jetttura

Are your best are hate spells on /Blu

Jettatura gives the most enmity, but has a long recast.
Blank gaze have the shortest recast around 10s

Cocoon is fantastic defense bonus
And you can pick up some additional killer traits as well.

Make sure to setup your enmity set for these spells and you should be pretty golden
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2018-06-23 07:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Shozokui said: »
I've tried curing others, however, if you're at the point where other people are taking enough damage to matter, you already done *** up.
Cure cheats are, in fact, still a useful thing.

If you aren't going /BLU, then your best best may be to tag the sleeper with a cure 1 after they sleep everything to get on the hate list for all mobs, then drop some cure 3/4 cheats for enmity.

It's MP intensive, but doesn't have the recast issue that JA do, and actually gives decent CE, unlike most JA. So you get a strong VE spike along with some lasting CE.
[+]
 Sylph.Dravidian
Server: Sylph
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2018-06-23 13:08:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Tag everything with an AoE spell from /blu then just use foil.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2018-06-23 16:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Dravidian said: »

Would work if Paladin got Foil.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jukiro
user: ikariiiii
By Ragnarok.Jukiro 2018-06-23 16:29:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem most people run into is understanding how to utilize enmity to your advantage.

PLD pulls all mobs by just aggro (super tanking, no enmity has been established but mob has attention on someone)

BLM or anyone sleeps all mobs > this now means the only person with enmity is the sleeper

PLD should then target the BLM and affect them some how. A cure for 0 HP (as far as I understand) generates no enmity, but for 1 HP will put you on the hate list.

From this point the PLD can utilize self cures to generate enmity if JAs are down, but as mentioned, /BLU tends to be more effective speed-wise. You would still need to cast a few spells if JAs are down, so cure cheats would be relatively similar to /BLU aoes. The only real difference here is the PLD doesn't need to target the BLM and affect them, they can just AoE the BLU spells as long as the target mobs are in range.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2018-06-23 17:29:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jukiro said: »
The problem most people run into is understanding how to utilize enmity to your advantage.

PLD pulls all mobs by just aggro (super tanking, no enmity has been established but mob has attention on someone)

BLM or anyone sleeps all mobs > this now means the only person with enmity is the sleeper

PLD should then target the BLM and affect them some how. A cure for 0 HP (as far as I understand) generates no enmity, but for 1 HP will put you on the hate list.

From this point the PLD can utilize self cures to generate enmity if JAs are down, but as mentioned, /BLU tends to be more effective speed-wise. You would still need to cast a few spells if JAs are down, so cure cheats would be relatively similar to /BLU aoes. The only real difference here is the PLD doesn't need to target the BLM and affect them, they can just AoE the BLU spells as long as the target mobs are in range.
A cure for 0 HP generates 1 CE.

And no HP needs to be restored to put you on the hate list. Any action of any kind performed on a player who is on the hate list, while in rage of the mob in question, will put you on said mob's hate list.
[+]
 Sylph.Dravidian
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2018-06-23 17:50:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
Sylph.Dravidian said: »

Would work if Paladin got Foil.

That's the joke.
 Bahamut.Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2018-06-28 22:42:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, with all the information I was given here - I was able to devise a super effective way of doing this. This is tested multiple times to be working well.

1 - Aggro Everything (Can be tricky, make sure you don't engage anything if you want to be healed properly without *** your healer. While you're not on the enmity table, your healer won't be put on the enmity table for healing you, so no voke/flash pulling.)

2 - Have a Bard or BLM Sleepga, SMN stun works too. Now that person is on the Enmity table for EVERYTHING.

3 - Cure that player. Now by proxy, you're on the enmity table for everything.

4 - Use Sentinel, Warcry, Rampart or other big enmity+ abilities.

5 - Engage transcended mobs (Your group will likely be fine if 1 or 2 DDs pull the smaller mobs, transcendeds usually hit kinda hard. Make sure you voke/flash them.

6 - Keep your buffs up (Phalanx, Crusade, Reprisal). The less damage you take, the more enmity you retain.

7 - Use circle blade (every bit of damage helps)

If you follow those steps and your group's DD makes sure to follow them too (not breaking sleep too early, etc) you will have very successful, very clean AoE runs.
 Sylph.Citrelautame
By Sylph.Citrelautame 2018-06-29 04:40:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Although i haven't tried this in Omen I know that /run can help to, it adds 2x hate JA's with 3min recast, combined w/ the standard pld ja's it allows a good JA hate cycle. Once again you would have to be on the enemies hate list. Also /run adds aquaveil/blink/regen 2 to your spell list which all can be very useful for the mid/end bosses as well
 Bahamut.Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2018-06-29 06:40:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Citrelautame said: »
Although i haven't tried this in Omen I know that /run can help to, it adds 2x hate JA's with 3min recast, combined w/ the standard pld ja's it allows a good JA hate cycle. Once again you would have to be on the enemies hate list. Also /run adds aquaveil/blink/regen 2 to your spell list which all can be very useful for the mid/end bosses as well

I've been toying with the idea of pld/run, but haven't worked out the best way implement it in a way that will produce the same result.

I could see this setup being really awesome for mid-bosses that are being SMN burned and Fu/Kei where you're not melee burning.

On other bosses I think you really need that voke,warcry,agressor hate for VE to keep the boss off spamming melee like BLU,SAM,WAR