Forum » FFXI » NMs » Carousing Celine SCH Solo Tips
Carousing Celine SCH Solo Tips
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-06-01 11:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I've soloed this NM many times now, but it's hit-and-miss. I've also done it in a group and consistently won, but I can't always rely on others to come out and spam this NM just so I can get Odnowas. I got one so far, but after 50+ vines, I find myself getting frustrated with the RNG of unity rewards. Beware, the next post will have a ton of detail of how I've soloed this NM in different ways, using different trusts, all with varying degrees of success.

I guess what I'm looking for, is if there's anything I could do that I'm not? If there's any trusts I really should be using? If I'm using the wrong sub? Am I wasting too much time debuffing? What can I do to counter bad breath and keep the party alive when it starts spamming at lower TP? How do I go about recovering when it decides to kill me with bad breath and wipe my helix? Should I just accept that this NM can sometimes be a pain, so I should stop pulling my hair out and get help?

I won't respond to anyone who isn't giving serious answers. I want to get better at SCH soloing as I know what it's capable of, and I can't always rely on linkshell members to drop everything to get me something. I based my strategy off a video done by a Japanese player called Jeu. I'll include the video in this post, then below in a new one, I'll explain what I've done, what I've tried, and many other details which should cover most of it. This will take time to put together.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-06-01 12:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

AAEV, Iroha II, and the rest WHMs. Kupipi, Yoran-Oran, Ygnas, Cherukkiki are all good.

Use Iroha II to help close SC for you, so you have time to MB multiple times per chain, and use Ebullience on Helix.

Also position your trusts before pull so AAEV is on one side of the Junction, and the rest are on the other. You don't want breath hitting everybody.

If Sweet Breath goes off, Gravity and kite.

If you have pocket GEO it goes a lot quicker, but solo SCH should be able to pull it off, too.

Edit: just watched the vid... /BLM is not a good idea. Impact is also unnecessary.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-06-01 12:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Carousing Celine Solo Strategy

Subjobs used: Black Mage (1), Red Mage (2).

Jeu's trusts: August, Brygid, Ingrid II, Sehlteus, Kupipi.

Combinations of trusts used which have won:
-August, Brygid, Sakura, Sehlteus, Kupipi.
-August, Brygid, KingOfHearts, Sehlteus, Kupipi.
-August, Brygid, Sakura, Kingofhearts, Kupipi.

Not had much success using Ingrid II like Jeu does in the video. I noticed he sometimes manages Light, but I'm not exactly sure how he's making use of Ingrids abilities. I noticed she's particularly hard to kill. However, having her in party means losing either Sakura, KoH or Sehlteus. I might have won once or twice with her, but it's not consistent enough to use her regularly.

Pre-fight buffs

Depending on subjob, this changes slightly, but is mostly the same:
1) AoE Aquaveil
2) Trusts Pro+ Shell (engage weak mobs)
3) AoE+Perp Animus Minuo (suppress hate)
4) Perp Animus Augeo for August (extra hate)
5) AoE+Perp Aurorastorm
6) Perp Firestorm for me.
7) Regen V in Regen Potency gear, and some duration.

With /blm I'll stoneskin/blink. With /rdm I'll stoneskin/blink/phalanx/haste. These need to be kept up during the fight, in case of hate reset/pulling hate from cures.

Debuffs

This depends on subjob, and I've yet to figure out which is more useful. I generally have more success with /blm, despite /rdm having access to better debuffs to stop it using bad breath as much. Bad Breath does usually wipe all debuffs, but not all the time, and I've yet to figure out why this is. I made gearsets specifically for Burn and Impact.

1) Bio II, Burn, ES + Impact. Keep Bio II and Burn up.
2) Frazzle (can take time to land), Slow, Paralyze, Bio II.

Celine's TP moves

Due to the trusts not being very bright, Kupipi often gets in range of Bad Breath and Sweet Breath, but she's the most reliable in doing Poisona. She does not seem to do Paralyna however. Kingofheatrs can also help with this.

-Sweet Breath: It's an AOE sleep and hate reset. I used to prefer this, as I knew I could kite it in -PDT and let the helix do the damage, while also limiting the TP it's being fed. In recent fights I threw a single cure at August and Kupipi instead, which seemed to make sense, but also felt like lost opportunities. While I'm kiting, I cannot do extra damage or debuff it, but it does make more use of a helix, due to the fact it's very unlikely to bad breath as you're kiting.

-Bad Breath: This is what makes the fight hard. The kicker is it gives a very potent Poison which the trusts struggle to handle. Even with Regen V in potency gear + Sakura, it's still easy to start losing trusts if they are not cured. There's a few ways of dealing with it:

a) If you're lucky, you're already setting up a skillchain and can reapply a helix immediately, before quickly switching to cure bombing the trusts til they work their way through it. This is not reliable though, as it relies on lucky timing.

b) Stop doing everything and cure bomb. This can be an issue after a while, as I'm more likely to take hate and get hit with yet another Bad Breath, or Sweet Breath, which sends the fight down the road of a wipe. No helix, makes this a losing situation, but you need to cure trusts as well, or its a losing situation.

c) Switch to Light Arts and Poisona/Paralyna August and Kupipi. I did this in my last few fights, but I didn't win any of them. This was usually due to me pulling hate and getting hit with a breath, which made me useless anyways. With no helix after bad breath, it's not like I could wipe and recover. In light arts, it takes a while to get back to dark arts to reapply a proper helix.

What have I done to make it easier?

I looked in to making my helix set better, and on my last fight with /blm I was able to hit a record helix of 3.8k. This is more than enough, as I've won fights with just 3k helix. I've tweaked my sets, and tried to improve where I can, without having luxuries like HQ abjurations. Outside of that, I'm still in need of one or two +3 AFs. I've got the body and feet +3, and the rest are +2s.

Barpoison/Barthunder? - When I'm /rdm I've tried these, but it doesn't seem to have much effect. Maybe I'm not using the right set for it (enhancing skill), or breath's poison is special, either way I'm not sure if it's helping.

Impact? - I don't know if using this is worth it outside the first helix on /blm. It helps to give a stronger, first helix, but without Elemental Seal it doesn't last long enough to use. It costs way too much MP to reapply. Burn is nice, but is Burn and Impact more useful than keeping Slow/Paralyze on? I'm not sure.

Recovering When It Hits The Fan

I'm absolutely terrible in forgeting Reraise, this has lost me a few fights here and there. Absolute must, because even if there's a wipe, it's possible to recover.

The general rule is, if it's got a full strength Fire Helix under 50% and you wipe (without it wiping it with Bad Breath), you're very likely to be able to sit there and watch it die slow. I'll resummon trusts, get regen V, firestorm, and get back in to Dark Arts just in case Helix does wear off before 0.

It's like .. this NM has a ridiculous natural Regain at low HP. Sometimes I can engage and it will do Bad Breath > other tp move > Bad Breath within 15 seconds. This is impossible, so I feel like I should sometimes pull it with a helix, instead of running up and hitting it. But if it doesn't, it's possible to quickly Immanence sc + MB to finish.

But what have I done to recover IF it kills me with bad breath and wipes helix?

I've only managed it once or twice, but it requires extreme reaction speed + a Reraise item. You basically have to get up, pop Instant Reraise, Dark Arts, then Helix immediately. If it's not resisted, or doesn't open with Bad Breath, it's possible to die and recover with trusts before the helix wears off. But it's very, very difficult, and luck plays a factor. In 95% of cases, a bad breath to kill is a loss.

Conclusion

I could include more detail, and I hope people are not insulting and actually want to give good tips and suggestions. I do not use gearswap, nor do I ever intend in learning how to use it. Would it help? Sure. But I don't need it to win, as I've beat her dozens of times.

This thread is to help make wins more consistent, and not only that, but if other players are looking for Odnowa earrings and don't want to pester their LS members to come out to Fei'yin, they can jump on SCH and try it. It's one of the most fun, yet frustrating solos I've done in this game. Thanks for any tips! Much appreciated.

PS: I wrote this before I read Arislan's above post.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-06-01 13:05:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Arislan said: »
AAEV, Iroha II, and the rest WHMs. Kupipi, Yoran-Oran, Ygnas, Cherukkiki are all good.

Use Iroha II to help close SC for you, so you have time to MB multiple times per chain, and use Ebullience on Helix.

Also position your trusts before pull so AAEV is on one side of the Junction, and the rest are on the other. You don't want breath hitting everybody.

If Sweet Breath goes off, Gravity and kite.

If you have pocket GEO it goes a lot quicker, but solo SCH should be able to pull it off, too.

Edit: just watched the vid... /BLM is not a good idea. Impact is also unnecessary.

Thanks man! Got some questions:

1) How is EV better than August for this?
2) How do I set up Iroha? Do I do the first half of a fire skillchain, then let her close it with a ws? Never done it myself, but I'm guessing that's how.
3) I'm guessing /rdm is the way to go? Seen as you said /blm is useless.
 Shiva.Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-06-01 13:25:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Thanks man! Got some questions:

1) How is EV better than August for this?
2) How do I set up Iroha? Do I do the first half of a fire skillchain, then let her close it with a ws? Never done it myself, but I'm guessing that's how.
3) I'm guessing /rdm is the way to go? Seen as you said /blm is useless.

1) She has higher Cure POT, better cure AI, Palisade. She rarely is able to get TP to interrupt SCs when I used her on Celine (combo of Drain Whip, lower acc, and Chivalry?),

2) Iroha has the smartest SC AI in the game. Open a SC w/ Immanence, and she'll close it for you. I almost always use her when soloing on SCH, except for fights where I need to MB Stone (rare).

In this fight, that means you cast Immanense + Fire, she'll close w/ Amatsu: Hanadoki for Fusion. If you run low on strats, or you're feeling lazy, let her get to 2k TP, and she'll do a 4-step Fragmentation> Light > Light for you if she has JA's available. Trusts can WS while running too... so you can do SC while kiting.

If the party is low-hp, she'll use Rise from the Ashes, which is TP-based Curaga w/ Stoneskin. Really helpful if Poison is about to take everybody out.

She is truly a SCH's best friend.

3) Yeah, /rdm. Haste Iroha before pop, then open the fight w/ Paralyze -> Slow -> Distract -> Gravity (I forget if Frazzle lands or not). She should have TP by then (using TParty?), and you can commence the onslaught.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-06-01 13:34:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Frazzle does land, but sometimes takes a few tries. Should I do frazzle instead of distract?

Yes I'm using TParty. Well .. I'm going to have rearrange some macros to try this, but it seems a lot easier than what I've been doing. I'll let ya know the results in a bit.

What about buffs? Is there anything I should take out? Anything I should add? Barpoison any good? Or a waste? Should I be buffing the pt with protect and shell, so it's better than a trusts pro/shell? Or is there no point?
 Shiva.Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-06-01 13:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Your buffing regimen is a bit overkill.

Regen V on the party.. Haste and Adloquiem on Iroha. Aqua, Phalanx and Storm and Stoneskin on self. No need to Perpetuance anything, especially once you're able to get your clear times down.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-06-01 13:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice. Think I'll keep some of what I've been doing, til I get used to the new trusts. When I'm more confident I can down it regular, I'll cut back so I can pop quicker. All of this is very useful, and I probably wouldn't have figured this out myself.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-06-01 14:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooooooooooooow! Wrecked it just now. With the freedom of Iroha closing I managed a 5.1k helix with Ebullience. Did a couple more sc, kited a bit here and there, but it was x10 easier than before. Pretty shocked how easier it was. I may have a lot more fun with Celine .. at least til I get my second Odnowa!

Thanks Arislan. Again you've helped me make a fight way easier to handle.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-06-01 14:21:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The second fight it decided to do bad breath twice early on. With trusts falling, I got a 3.8k helix on, as Iroha had no tp so I couldn't ebullience. With gravity, I was able to watch it die from helix. So even with a bad start, this setup seems better. Still possible to lose though, if it spams bad breath.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-06-01 14:57:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Third fight was a loss due to doing bad breath twice in a row. I did get a sweet helix on .. but still a royal pain when it decides to do it again right after. Tried to get another helix on so I could recover after RR, but died before I got chance.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-06-01 15:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Fourth fight was just cruel. It opened with bad breath, and it seems stacking up on WHMs does nothing as they're completely useless. I might be better off with Sehlteus and Sakura over two extra whms, as they literally do nothing but die after bad breath. And yes, the mages are behind it when it happens, but still get hit as its AOE and not conal.

From 80% I put a fresh helix on, then gravity til I actually lost all hate. It got down to 10% and helix wore off, so I put another one on. Luckily it killed me with sweet breath, and died shortly after to helix.
 Shiva.Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-06-01 15:33:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, you can use Zeid II to Stun some TP moves. Iroha will make Light off him, too. :)
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-06-01 15:34:47
Link | Quote | Reply

On the 5th fight I switched it up and had Sehlteus and Sakura in place of 2 whms. Luckily it didnt do Bad Breath once. And guess what? I finally got the second Odnowa! Awesome. I'm done with Celine forever. Thanks for the tips, and hopefully this helps others deal with her.