users online
Forum » FFXI » General » My Expiriences Since Leaving FFXIClopedia
My Expiriences Since Leaving FFXIClopedia
 Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-02-15 11:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Before I begin to explain my experiences, I want to be clear: This has nothing to with wiki superiority. This is just my own feelings. I just want to clear the air after the last thread.

I started off with Clopedia as someone trying to recruit a proper editing team, and that was my plan for quite awhile. After seeing the responses to my threads on both FFXIAH and /r/FFXI, I decided that it was not going to work. That trying to recruit an editing team for a wiki that is admittedly out of date and now out of favor, was not going to go well.

After that, I decided I would go and edit with BG. They have a team, they have resources, and they have the unified means to get stuff done in a timely manner. That's when things changed. I stopped talking actively in the Clopedia discord, and FFXIClopedia's only standing Admin, became a bit distant otherwise.

Now for my experience with BG. The Order of the Blue Gartr and its Wiki Team has felt more team oriented and supportive since day one. Hell, Spicy even requested help to me get around the few hour lockout that occurs when you first create an account to edit on BG (an anti-bot/anti-grief measure).

Meanwhile, we're all editing away and having a blast in discord. Funkworkz is nice, and is probably the most mature of us all. Spicyryan, by far has been a huge help with anything asked. Darvamos, also known as Chia, has been another huge help. The other editors are also a huge help, not only to me, but to each other. Yeah, we poke fun at clopedia here and there, but none of it has malicious intent, just poking fun at the styling such.

A common theme in the last thread was "checks and balances". There is no such system, progress for the sake of progress isn't actual progress, it's just self-gratification. However, progress for the sake of the community as a whole, is actual progress.
I've been with BG for about a month now, and I feel like "just another one of the boys." I feel like we're actually doing our work for the good of the community, instead of the alternatives. The last thread for clopedia somehow prompted various people to come ask about editing at BG which was great.\line There are now new people who just make minor fixes or improvements as they play FFXI which makes the game more enjoyable for everyone. People who didn't know anything about editing are having fun with it as they tie it into what they do in game. It is easy, actually.

Just a final note before I submit this post. As noted in the beginning, please remember that this is just my personal opinion and about A vs B. I wanted to clear the air after the previous thread. This time I want to extend an invitation out to anyone to come help the community with us at BG. There is no competition or checks and balances with a community resource.
If something isn't there then it needs to be, and if it is wrong it gets fixed, and if there are multiple valid opinions then they get added and respected. No one is going to replace the countless players that have come and gone, but the community should be unified for the common good now, and not fragmented still from the past. Let the old be an archive we all use, and the new be the overall resource that continues to be improved for everyone.

Thanks for everyones time and letting me vent my experiences.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-02-15 12:11:39
Link | Quote | Reply

It's good to know there's still an active team behind one of the wikis. I've always liked visiting FFXIcyclopedia, it's great for the older content, and it always gives me a bit of nostalgia. Also this might not be popular opinion, but I like how Cyclopedia is laid out. It's more colourful, it doesn't just feel like a database. Monster pages (especially for older content) are much nicer to look at, and to read. BGwiki lacks a lot of detail for monsters, in terms of strategy and any other special notes.

BGwiki is infinitely more professional though. It's clear to see it keeps getting updated, so it became the #1 resource quite a few years ago. I still wish it looked a little nicer, but I know the important thing is that the information is there. No point making it look pretty with rainbows and sparkles if it's not telling me where I need to go.

One thing I really wish BGwiki had was a testimonials/strategy area for NMs. For years I've been using this forum to find out strategy, but sometimes it can be hard to find without making your own post. The posts seem to get forgotten, and nothing that was talked about gets recorded. It would save a lot of browsing threads if we had a place where a group can say something like:

On this date we beat [insert name] with the following setup: [Party Setup]

We used the following buffs: [List of buffs]
Along with the following debuffs: [List of debuffs]
Gear Check: Our GEOs used/does not have Idris. Our BRD was using [REMA or non-REMA]. WHM has/does not have Yagrush etc.
Special notes: (For example) This NM is highly resistant to physical damage, and regens if you do not nuke the right element. You can bypass this shield by creating a skillchain (with a sch, sam, or other method). **Yes .. Kei is the example here.**

Not only that, but these testimonials could include videos of a group beating the content, just to show a group wanting to try it for the first time how it's done. It's sometimes difficult to find quality videos which goes in to detail on 1) what they used, and 2) how they used it.

Just some suggestions from me! Long live BGwiki. And long live Cyclopedia for the old stuff.
[+]
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-02-15 13:01:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Kylos- Thank you for your response. We always try to be on top of things and be as professional as possible. If there's something you think BG Wiki needs, or something you'd like to see, you can post here https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/BGWiki:Suggestions and we will do hour best to implement them. Also, if there seems to be wonky formatting or something generally doesn't look right on a certain page, you can click the "Discussion" tab and report it there. We try to engage with the community as much as possible and try to implement community wants and needs as much as possible. We also do have some of the discussion stuff that you're talking about. see https://wwww.bg-wiki.com/Talk:Sarama and https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Talk:Black_And_White.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-02-15 13:29:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions said: »
Kylos- Thank you for your response. We always try to be on top of things and be as professional as possible. If there's something you think BG Wiki needs, or something you'd like to see, you can post here https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/BGWiki:Suggestions and we will do hour best to implement them. Also, if there seems to be wonky formatting or something generally doesn't look right on a certain page, you can click the "Discussion" tab and report it there. We try to engage with the community as much as possible and try to implement community wants and needs as much as possible. We also do have some of the discussion stuff that you're talking about. see https://wwww.bg-wiki.com/Talk:Sarama and https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Talk:Black_And_White.

YES! That's what I'm talking about. Would love to see more details for Omen bosses and T4 Reisenjimas. There should be many testimonials for the hardest content in the game. I'm also a huge fan of the "History Of Final Fantasy XI" section (I made a post for it in the forum). Is there anywhere I could share the strategies my group and I have come up with Geas Fete and Omen?

[+]
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-02-15 13:36:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »

YES! That's what I'm talking about. Would love to see more details for Omen bosses and T4 Reisenjimas. There should be many testimonials for the hardest content in the game. I'm also a huge fan of the "History Of Final Fantasy XI" section (I made a post for it in the forum). Is there anywhere I could share the strategies my group and I have come up with Geas Fete and Omen?

Of course! All testimonials and stratagies are welcome! Again, all you have to do is hit the discussion tab and edit it. Just add your strats and tests, and hit save or publish. And if you have any questions, you can join our Discord server (Link located on https://wwww.bg-wiki.com/bg/Main_Page ) and feel free to ask any you may have!
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-02-15 14:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I may have to do this sometime this weekend. My group has a few videos of us doing content, and it can be explained what jobs we have and how we handled things. My linkshell is on one of the quiestest servers, and we're almost finished with our first Aeonic. We're not the strongest group around, we're a casual group who get things done as a team. We also have not astral conduit burned everything, we prefer to beat content in other ways. Can't learn how NMs work if ya steamroll through with conduit before they've had a chance to do anything.
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Server: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2018-02-16 00:24:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm also a huge fan of the "History Of Final Fantasy XI" section (I made a post for it in the forum).

I tried doing a thumbs up emoji, failed. TY!
[+]
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-02-16 09:00:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Funkworkz said: »
I'm also a huge fan of the "History Of Final Fantasy XI" section (I made a post for it in the forum).

Stop failing!
By zaxtiss 2018-02-16 09:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Funkworkz said: »

one does not fail! one merely finds out what does not work!
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2018-02-16 10:10:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Also this might not be popular opinion, but I like how Cyclopedia is laid out. It's more colourful, it doesn't just feel like a database. Monster pages (especially for older content) are much nicer to look at, and to read.
I agree with that. Iv never been a big fan of BGs layout. Often times it is harder to read or to find what im looking for.
A basic example would be wikis zeni page vs bgs zeni. (old example but i havnt been able to play for a number of months lately. Thats the first to come to mind.)
I enjoy the visual layout of wikis flow chart. They also have the by teir chart, but i rarely follow that one. BG has only the teir chart. And all the came visually. Unless you already know what your looking for/doing its a bit harder to tell. Granted, they have managed to put a lot more information into one glance/page. And they do have the picture chart which is close to the flow chart. - Maybe im just so used to the wiki chart that its hard to change to the picture chart? i dont know.
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-02-21 10:13:42
Link | Quote | Reply

So after some template redesign, ever page will have an auto generated talk page. Hope to see you on BG :)
By Quetzalcoatl.Iminiillusions 2018-02-21 10:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

So after some template redesign, ever page will have an auto generated talk page. Hope to see you on BG :)

Correction, every adversary in the new template that has a |class= has a link. any normal mob that doesnt, has no link
[+]