Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Modern PUP tanking guide
Modern PUP tanking guide
 Fenrir.Snaps
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-09-29 11:46:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there one of these anywhere? The information in the PUP thread seems old and so does the "So you wanna tank on PUP?" thread.
 Asura.Sirris
Server: Asura
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2017-09-29 11:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Capuchin posted an excellent one recently:

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/41682/animators-workshop-a-puppetmasters-guide-20/47/#3287460

There's also a good guide on BG-Wiki that covers tanking.
[+]
 Fenrir.Snaps
Server: Fenrir
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-09-29 12:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-09-29 12:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

There's also Ruaumoko's excellent youtube video, there are specific sections talking about Tanking and different setups/approaches
By clearlyamule 2017-09-29 14:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly it hasn't really changed all that much. Mostly over the last couple of years it's been incorporating new pieces into existing ideas. Biggest change was probably the new su3 set allowing us to build enmity sets which are amazing for establishing and regaining lost hate though wouldn't necessary idle in the them. Then before that was upgrading SoA and a couple of potential idle pieces from omen. Kind of sad went from getting a pupdate every 2-3 months to well a bunch of non updates for everyone lol
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-09-29 18:47:49
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »
Honestly it hasn't really changed all that much. Mostly over the last couple of years it's been incorporating new pieces into existing ideas. Biggest change was probably the new su3 set allowing us to build enmity sets which are amazing for establishing and regaining lost hate though wouldn't necessary idle in the them. Then before that was upgrading SoA and a couple of potential idle pieces from omen. Kind of sad went from getting a pupdate every 2-3 months to well a bunch of non updates for everyone lol

Haha, yeah... Though at least PUP got some excitement somewhat recently with the supposed "Monk update" in August (disappointing for MNKs, but ended up being pure win for PUP with the significant H2H weapon DMG increases). Not that it changed anything with respect to tanking though...

For tanking, I think the only real relevant changes in the past year or so have been:

* Su3 Heyoka set for enmity purposes (this is actually REALLY nice for quickly swapping into before Voke/Flash, establishing initial hate, and regaining hate after a reset or calling out a new puppet)
* From Omen, Enmerkar Earring is a pretty great piece
* AF+2/+3 legs and Tali'ah Seraweels/+1 are potentially useful for tanking, though I don't personally ever see a major need for them and I still prefer older gear in that slot. At least they are viable options though.

As Sirris linked above, I actually wrote up a current tanking mini-guide just earlier this month (glad it seems to have been somewhat helpful to some people!). Aside from the few points listed above though, there's not much that would be new news to anyone who was already familiar with PUP tanking in the Reisenjima era or later.
[+]
By Asura.Kuroganashi 2017-09-30 09:56:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
clearlyamule said: »

Haha, yeah... Though at least PUP got some excitement somewhat recently with the supposed "Monk update" in August (disappointing for MNKs, but ended up being pure win for PUP with the significant H2H weapon DMG increases). Not that it changed anything with respect to tanking though...

For tanking, I think the only real relevant changes in the past year or so have been:

* Su3 Heyoka set for enmity purposes (this is actually REALLY nice for quickly swapping into before Voke/Flash, establishing initial hate, and regaining hate after a reset or calling out a new puppet)
* From Omen, Enmerkar Earring is a pretty great piece
* AF+2/+3 legs and Tali'ah Seraweels/+1 are potentially useful for tanking, though I don't personally ever see a major need for them and I still prefer older gear in that slot. At least they are viable options though.

As Sirris linked above, I actually wrote up a current tanking mini-guide just earlier this month (glad it seems to have been somewhat helpful to some people!). Aside from the few points listed above though, there's not much that would be new news to anyone who was already familiar with PUP tanking in the Reisenjima era or later.

I like that suggestion, however, the thing I don't like about AF+2/+3 legs is no ACC+ / R.ACC+ for the pet. so they are only for Pet: DT- set.

also, AF+3 hands are very nice to have :)

Just saying
By clearlyamule 2017-09-30 11:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah legs aren't as great if you want your pet to tank AND DD. But if you want it to pure tank it's pretty nice. Minor upgrades to be sure but extra stats when maneuvering from hands is nice. And extra status removed with feet practically makes your repairs act as a maintenance too
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-10-01 17:52:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kuroganashi said: »
the thing I don't like about AF+2/+3 legs is no ACC+ / R.ACC+ for the pet.

To me, that's usually a good thing since I tend to want my tanking puppet to get as little TP as possible to reduce interruptions of planned player SCs. When I set up for tanking, I generally use few (if any) offensive attachments anyhow, Soulsoother head/VE body, and pretty much never mix in wind/thunder maneuvers - so DD will be generally be mediocre regardless of gear.

But yeah, if you DO want the pet to be meleeing AND tanking for whatever reason, acc might be a consideration. In that case, probably ideal to use Rao (Pet: Acc/HP/DT) and/or Heyoka (Pet: Acc/Haste/Enmity) gear for meleeing while also helping tanky-ness. Or, for legs in particular, Tali'ah+1 have very good Acc/Racc along with DT-4% (I don't really ever find myself caring much about that mix, but it's a legitimate tanking option given the strong DT).
By clearlyamule 2017-10-01 19:43:46
Link | Quote | Reply

acc is also nice for counter tanking... but that's pretty niche situation to begin with

For actual mix dd/tanking I prefer taeon though. Acc, DT and DA works pretty good. That and I got it before all this other stuff came out so don't feel like dropping money into hqs and such lol