The History Of Final Fantasy XI.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » The History Of Final Fantasy XI.
The History Of Final Fantasy XI.
First Page 2 3 4
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2017-09-15 14:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a recent addition to BGwiki which I happened to stumble upon last night. It gives details in to how FFXI evolved from 2000-2003, and as I personally didn't manage to get online til 2004 it was a very enlightening read.

It goes into detail on version updates, when servers opened/closed, special events, bug exploits, how players reacted to SE, and loads of other details I had no idea about. Like for example .. did you know there used to be a job selection screen?

So for now it only goes up to the end of 2003, but I'm eagerly awaiting 2004 as that's when I showed up on Hades after finally getting my first desktop sorted out. Seems the 2000-2003 details were done by a player called Elmer The Pointy, and all the editing has been done by Funkworkz.

Link here: The History Of Final Fantasy XI.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2017-09-15 15:16:39
Link | Quote | Reply

And just in case you already read this, I found an experiment from almost a decade ago when Elmer reached out to Japanese players to find out why they didn't want to play with the NA community. It goes in to the reasoning behind them disliking players examining their characters, as well as other things I didn't know about til now. There's also some funny questions and answers to break up the tension:>> Does the JP community hate us?
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Server: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2017-09-15 15:38:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I figured this would be found out with the addition of the Moon Ball!

This is what we had before and found it very lame. Since JP Button went offline back in 2011 sometime, I figured I would revive Elmer's original work.

2000-2003 is done, and I am working on 2004 now. I plan on completing all of the way through 2017, and keep it relatively updated. I plan on continuing to be as detailed as possible like it is now.

If anyone has any pictures, video or information that may help, please let me know.

PS: link in the original post cuts off the years 2000-2001, so be sure to scroll up and start from the top.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2017-09-15 15:46:42
Link | Quote | Reply

OMG that brought back memories, I remember that ***. And wow, just proves that SE was just as incompetent back then as they are today.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-09-15 16:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fun read. Good to know SE hasn't changed much over the course of a decade+. See below:

Quote:
With that announcement, it caused a big uproar that became a continuous joke in Japan:

[SE] Do this.

[Players] Ok.

[SE] Don't do it.

Quote:
[SE] Discover your own camps.

[Players] Wow, this place is nice for EXP.

[SE] Ok, removing that camp.

There's a "Boost" JA joke in here somewhere.
[+]
 Fenrir.Divinian
Server: Fenrir
user: Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2017-09-15 16:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for this. I'm enjoying the read, watch, and listen. :)
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2017-09-15 16:19:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Funkworkz said: »
I figured this would be found out with the addition of the Moon Ball!

This is what we had before and found it very lame. Since JP Button went offline back in 2011 sometime, I figured I would revive Elmer's original work.

2000-2003 is done, and I am working on 2004 now. I plan on completing all of the way through 2017, and keep it relatively updated. I plan on continuing to be as detailed as possible like it is now.

If anyone has any pictures, video or information that may help, please let me know.

PS: link in the original post cuts off the years 2000-2001, so be sure to scroll up and start from the top.

Sorry about that, didn't realise. Changed the link so it starts from the top.
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Server: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-09-15 17:01:59
Link | Quote | Reply

My sister picked up a copy of a gaming mag when she was in Japan with a free Rise of Zilart preview DVD around 2003. I need to find it. Could have some interesting things.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2017-09-16 09:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bumping for those who might have missed it yesterday :)
 Cua
By Cua 2017-09-22 20:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

That was a surprisingly entertaining read. I was always curious about how the pioneer players reacted. It's almost like looking back on our ancestors who paved the way for us and viewing their struggles first hand.

; ;
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2017-09-24 17:35:53
Link | Quote | Reply

As an update, 2003 was almost doubled in size since this thread was created. I also added many more tidbits to 2000 thru 2002.

Just now I added 2004. I think it is worth skimming back through 2000-2003 if you already checked it out, and then go on to 2004.

Now its time for 2005...
By Draylo 2017-09-24 21:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember this thing where you semi "log-off" and people could knock and it sends you a message.
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2017-09-24 22:43:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
I remember this thing where you semi "log-off" and people could knock and it sends you a message.
It was a temporary logout feature, and the command was /pol. I think it was a feature since release and removed at some point, but the update notes I've covered haven't mentioned it yet.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-09-24 23:33:44
Link | Quote | Reply

The Bon-Odori event in 2004 IIRC was only done that year? I described this to friends who joined later and none of them remembered it.

And the pairing had to be male/female and same race(?) IIRC. I remember this because I picked a male taru with long hairstyle as my partner and we couldn't go. I had to apologize to him and found a female taru. LOL.

I was ported to Gustav tunnel as a level 1 and found my goal near Amemet's pop location.

Another interesting aspect, CoP i think is well remembered by the current playerbase but the poor reception indicated there seems accurate. I recall not doing much with CoP in 2004 (granted I was very new and was still working on Zilart and Sky access) CoP statics really became a huge thing in 2005 and It was around late 2005 or early 2005 when Limbus was introduced when there was a big push to clear the content.
By Ruaumoko 2017-09-25 00:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I still remember when they raised the Lv cap from 75 to 99, people shat enough bricks to build a wall.
[+]
By abknight 2017-09-25 01:03:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Reading through all of this is borderline upsetting because of how much my life revolved around the early days of XI and the fact that nothing like this will ever happen again.

I followed development, the JP alpha and beta, and JP PS2 release like there was nothing else in life. I couldn't afford to import a PS2, modem, and the game (it was like $800 all-in) as a poor high school kid, so I waited and imported the JP PC version. Started on Ixion on December 19th, 2002, the day it opened. Moved to Ragnarok a couple days later to join the ffxionline.com importer community.

The silver lining from reading this is that I no longer regret not importing the PS2 version. I'm sure it would have been a great experience, but it doesn't look like I really missed much and avoided a lot of growing pains.
[+]
 Asura.Azriel
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2017-09-25 01:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember ppl camping on a rock or under some tree to claim a lizard and a fly 24/7 while pretending not to be bots or gilsellers :D

I also remember standing in a single room for 7 days to get an 300M dagger every THF wanted.

I remember ppl trying to fortell if a NM would drop something or not and if it is the HQ NM or the NQ NM - looking at you Anik :o

I also remember when ppl would just play the game instead of trolling.

Oh and i remember LSs break over some crafted HQ armor made from LS bank materials.

But on a serious note, i remember when promy zones been scary as *** on 12-18 lvl 30s running around like headless chickens to not dlvl just do split up into 3 x 6 man teams again and yeah - some won that last fight and been casted to Tavnazia and well, some not ... on that day :o

I also remember when ppl played Tetra Master while FF11 maintance or using the POL chatrooms, instead of masstrolling ah.com :o
[+]
By Draylo 2017-09-25 01:11:22
Link | Quote | Reply

By Ruaumoko 2017-09-25 01:11:34
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread.
[+]
 Asura.Azriel
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2017-09-25 01:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Those faces dont seem accurate :o
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-09-25 01:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Azriel said: »
I remember ppl camping on a rock or under some tree to claim a lizard and a fly 24/7 while pretending not to be bots or gilsellers :D

I also remember standing in a single room for 7 days to get an 300M dagger every THF wanted.

I remember ppl trying to fortell if a NM would drop something or not and if it is the HQ NM or the NQ NM - looking at you Anik :o

I also remember when ppl would just play the game instead of trolling.

Oh and i remember LSs break over some crafted HQ armor made from LS bank materials.

But on a serious note, i remember when promy zones been scary as *** on 12-18 lvl 30s running around like headless chickens to not dlvl just do split up into 3 x 6 man teams again and yeah - some won that last fight and been casted to Tavnazia and well, some not ... on that day :o

I also remember when ppl played Tetra Master while FF11 maintance or using the POL chatrooms, instead of masstrolling ah.com :o

CoP mission parties were the most fun. I had 2-3 statics all in all. The serious static started after I got to tavnazia, but I had several groups of friends and pugs who worked on the promies themselves. A lot of fun. And gave me a reason to use my then very low lvl SMN, but it was good exp for my SMN since I used it to subjob my WHM main and the SMN wasn't just lvl 37 yet.

Anyone remember that? WHM/SMN was a thing for a while.
 Lakshmi.Inspectorgadget
By Lakshmi.Inspectorgadget 2017-09-25 06:29:45
Link | Quote | Reply

>Notorious Monsters & Birth of Competition

This page goes into detail on the names of the monsters in each area as well as their drops. There's also video links to some of the fights. Pop coordinates aren't provided but you can get an idea of where they spawned from the videos.

I always thought it would be a cool idea if someone was able to suck the dat files from the old ps2 beta discs and made a branch of the FFXI private server project based off of it.

also in the "Dec. 9th, 2004 version update" section

>Auction House taxes were altered (This was before auction houses were combined, and they were seperate. Rabao was connected to Bastok, and Kazham was connected to Windurst. Jeuno was seperate, along with San d'Oria)

Rabao was connected to Sandy, Norg was connected to Bastok.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2017-09-25 08:54:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Inspectorgadget said: »
>Notorious Monsters & Birth of Competition

This page goes into detail on the names of the monsters in each area as well as their drops. There's also video links to some of the fights. Pop coordinates aren't provided but you can get an idea of where they spawned from the videos.

I always thought it would be a cool idea if someone was able to suck the dat files from the old ps2 beta discs and made a branch of the FFXI private server project based off of it.

also in the "Dec. 9th, 2004 version update" section

>Auction House taxes were altered (This was before auction houses were combined, and they were seperate. Rabao was connected to Bastok, and Kazham was connected to Windurst. Jeuno was seperate, along with San d'Oria)

Rabao was connected to Sandy, Norg was connected to Bastok.

I didnt want to just copy/pasta over all of the information regarding the beta from finalfantasy7110.com, so i linked to it instead. If anyone knows the owner and gives me permission, I would for sure translate it into English and add it to BG.

I'll fix the AH portion, totally forgot about Norg...
 Fenrir.Aladeus
user: Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2017-09-25 15:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dekusutaa said: »
My SMN sub was lvl 36, 1.8k to 37 for about 2 years. I just couldn't be bothered since I didn't like SMN and auto refresh was already attained. =D
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-09-25 16:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Aladeus said: »
Bismarck.Dekusutaa said: »
My SMN sub was lvl 36, 1.8k to 37 for about 2 years. I just couldn't be bothered since I didn't like SMN and auto refresh was already attained. =D

Once you learned dual wield on ninja, you immediately stopped leveling it and became Super THF in Qufim!
[+]
 Fenrir.Aladeus
user: Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2017-09-25 16:37:32
Link | Quote | Reply

WAR25/MNK12 rank 2 lfp in kazham #rmt4eva
By anik 2017-09-25 16:52:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I just remember TribeFTW and Azriel from his ls doing all the botting on Asura Server, and also some JP player named HITOSI had the first relic and it was mjollnir, then I think he sold the account to Sein who became a gil seller and sold some botting programs to other linkshells for few hundred bucks and laughing his way to the bank.

Yeah, eventually I think windower was becoming a thing and then the 3rd party tools ran so rampant that it just became part of joining an end game LS.

And of course the people who were buying accounts for over $9,000.

What I miss the most is, watching groups wiping to HNM's then claiming the HNM and defeating the Monster ALL WHILE THOSE *** IN THE DIRT WERE WATCHING FROM THEIR FAT *** GAINING WEIGHT FROM DEPRESSION.

I MISS IT, GOD DAMN YOU SE!
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2017-09-25 17:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Came back for nostalgia.

Hell, I remember I started off Galka. Then my friend talked me into rerolling by saying that Galka were strong but ran slower movement speed and missed more, lmao
[+]
 Shiva.Eightball
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2017-09-25 23:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

i am seriously loving all of this, please keep it up.
 Lakshmi.Inspectorgadget
By Lakshmi.Inspectorgadget 2017-09-26 02:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Some additional commentary of the early version of the game can be found here too http://archive.is/60JMg
First Page 2 3 4