Lifelong BST Thinking About PUP

Eorzea Time
 
 
 
Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Lifelong BST thinking about PUP
Lifelong BST thinking about PUP
Offline
Posts: 431
By Felgarr 2017-06-08 08:04:39
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Hello!
I've played BST/PLD/MNK for a VERY long time, almost ~12 years. What is PUP like in 2017? Can you compare PUPs DD and tanking/healing abilities to other jobs to give me a frame of reference?

Thanks!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 30834
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-06-08 08:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Don't do it!

/itsatrap.gif
 Asura.Mckellar
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Mckellar
Posts: 14
By Asura.Mckellar 2017-06-08 08:29:45
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I'm not the best PUP in the world but I like it a lot! I use PUP as a solo'er and as a tank.

Your effectiveness as a PUP is directly related to how many JP you have. If you have 100, you can start soloing normal high-tier battlefields. When you have 1200, you can solo them on D or VD depending on the fight. We have so much regen, haste, and -DT from attachments and armor that an automaton should never die from physical damage alone (VE).

This is basically the puppet fighting by itself, btw. on D or VD trusts die way too quickly and you as the master want to take as little damage as possible so I try to stay far away. If it's a VD fight I will usually Overdrive and let the puppet decimate the boss.

Ranged is also really good! I solo JP farm all the time and the ranged frame with the skillchain/inhibitor is a beast. It only takes a few skillchains with Shantotto II to kill an Apex. Autos get TP SO fast now.

I have also solo'd all my herculean gear as a PUP, which isn't that special, I suppose.

Basically, I've graduated to being able to solo ilvl 129 bosses with regularity and am trying to do 135 now.

Edit: Oh, and the puppet, like I said, is basically indestructible. It's really nice to bring along a good PUP in case people die and you need time to re-coop. PUP, with enough time, can kill almost anything in the open world. It's just unfortunate everything is on a 30 min timer. (but I guess everything, with enough time, could do the same)
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 6835
By Asura.Saevel 2017-06-08 08:32:45
Link | Quote | Reply
 
PUP's DD capacity is kinda shitty yet it's an amazing tank when using other pet jobs. The robot can't hold hate against a fully buffed DD but it can hold hate fairly well against other pets since they are both getting the same buffs. Best part about PUP is the robot is essentially indestructible and the master can stay at 30 range and just do their thing. So if your using a pet strategy you can use a PUP tank and just keep throwing expendable pets at the NM.

Companions roll is your best friend.
[+]
 Bahamut.Silentsteel
Offline
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
Posts: 10
By Bahamut.Silentsteel 2017-06-08 08:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Mckellar said: »
I'm not the best PUP in the world but I like it a lot! I use PUP as a solo'er and as a tank.

Your effectiveness as a PUP is directly related to how many JP you have. If you have 100, you can start soloing normal high-tier battlefields. When you have 1200, you can solo them on D or VD depending on the fight. We have so much regen, haste, and -DT from attachments and armor that an automaton should never die from physical damage alone (VE).

This is basically the puppet fighting by itself, btw. on D or VD trusts die way too quickly and you as the master want to take as little damage as possible so I try to stay far away. If it's a VD fight I will usually Overdrive and let the puppet decimate the boss.

Ranged is also really good! I solo JP farm all the time and the ranged frame with the skillchain/inhibitor is a beast. It only takes a few skillchains with Shantotto II to kill an Apex. Autos get TP SO fast now.

I have also solo'd all my herculean gear as a PUP, which isn't that special, I suppose.

Basically, I've graduated to being able to solo ilvl 129 bosses with regularity and am trying to do 135 now.

Edit: Oh, and the puppet, like I said, is basically indestructible. It's really nice to bring along a good PUP in case people die and you need time to re-coop. PUP, with enough time, can kill almost anything in the open world. It's just unfortunate everything is on a 30 min timer. (but I guess everything, with enough time, could do the same)

What did you have to be able to solo your Herculean gear? I really want to progress my pup from here but right now mostly in ambu gear and nq AF2 body. I've got some acceptable accessories but can get more.
 Shiva.Eightball
Offline
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
Posts: 493
By Shiva.Eightball 2017-06-08 10:41:24
Link | Quote | Reply
 
so the thing about pup is, to do really good dmg you need special buffs that you won't get unless you bring it yourself or are in a pet focused LS, tanking is much simpler you don't need buffs your bot will live unless mob casts death. there have been some vids of pup killing things and yea it's pretty cool but you need to realize some the ppl that post those 3+ box to bring evey thing they need(one guy I know for sure has 2 pups and special cor for everything).

it's a fun job I did it for awhile till it became all about the pet instead of 50/50 like it used to be, now I'll just say it's useful and less fun for me.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
Offline
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Thorbean
Posts: 312
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2017-06-08 11:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Bahamut.Silentsteel said: »
What did you have to be able to solo your Herculean gear? I really want to progress my pup from here but right now mostly in ambu gear and nq AF2 body. I've got some acceptable accessories but can get more.

Order for me was:
Ohtas
Klaus sash
Reforged AF2 body (NQ)
NQ Ambu head and legs
Ambu cape with pet haste and 20 pet acc/att (last slot ignored until later)
NQ Rao hands + feet
varar ring (x1 since I took pet adoulin ring, x2 otherwise)
Shep chain (took a lot of pops, farmed whenever window was open between other gear farming)

That was more than enough to solo Herc hands, legs and feet x3-4 to build a decent pet STP set, melee set, ws set etc. You can just OD each of those 3 and let the pet do all the work until you get better gear/augs. After that it's just a case of Making SC's with the auto and OD as needed for the rest. As long as you adjust attatchments for each fight as needed you shouldn't have too much trouble.
Offline
Posts: 2289
By eliroo 2017-06-08 11:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply
 
PUP is definitely a strong tank. In VE it is already near invincible while dealing decent damage but if you run a Soulsoother/Harle build the pup is indestructible this magnifies even more as you get more Potency on your repair regen and cap out their PDT. Magic damage is still a bit of a weakness but as long as they can't get one shotted they most likely won't die.

I think to boost their damage you need a COR and a GEO and then they can push out some nice numbers.
 Bahamut.Silentsteel
Offline
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
Posts: 10
By Bahamut.Silentsteel 2017-06-08 12:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Thanks Thorbean, I'm actually pretty much there, only things I'm missing from your list is the rao hands and feet, shep chain, and finishing upgrading my cape. Seems I'm closer than I thought =D
Offline
Posts: 431
By Felgarr 2017-06-10 04:48:42
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Thanks everyone for the replies.

What's VE?
What are the must have attachments?
How long does it take you to solo i129 mobs?
 Phoenix.Thorbean
Offline
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Thorbean
Posts: 312
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2017-06-10 06:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Bahamut.Silentsteel said: »
Thanks Thorbean, I'm actually pretty much there, only things I'm missing from your list is the rao hands and feet, shep chain, and finishing upgrading my cape. Seems I'm closer than I thought =D

Hands and feet can be solo'd in the same way. Just OD them, then go do a couple ambuscade or try pop boss for sheps chain until it's back, and repeat.

Remember to adjust strat for each of the herc NM's.

Belphegor (sp) - VE frame, speedloaders, and a mana jammer.
Maybe wanna sub nin to avoid initial spell on pop. If you deploy fast enough the pet will shield bash it, but it's better safe than sorry.
Deploy > engage so trusts get into position > retrieve and pull the pet exactly opposite the healer trust to max distance without healer moving to avoid sleepga etc > deploy > melee from behind and use shijin to open light. Try to 4 step light to finish the last 20% and avoid chainspell to be extra safe, but it's not a huge deal if healer trust and pet are positioned right.
VS (or Dragon kick if no VS) > Pet > Shijin > Pet > (VS for double light if 4 step doesnt kill it)
Edit: Don't use tank trusts here, you wanna be able to position the target of his spells etc. as far away from the heal trust as possible and it's easier/faster to do that if the pet is holding it. Use melee buff trusts for increased tp gain to keep up with the pet for more SC's.

Selkit - Just summon 2 or 3 tank trusts and a couple healers and let the pet kill it. Don't bother with speedloaders. Use ranged auto.

Taelmoth - Ranged auto. I don't bother with speedloaders again here. Retrieve and kite 3 attacks after bosses 2 hour animation. Pet only, random spectral flow can mess you up if you are meleeing without upgrading your gear.

Oryx - Will need decent DT, WS, and pet + master TP set. Worst of the 4 herc T1's to solo. Just shout for it and save yourself the headache.

Felgarr said: »
Thanks everyone for the replies.

What's VE?
What are the must have attachments?
How long does it take you to solo i129 mobs?

VE = Valor Edge
Optic fiber 1 & 2, speedloader 1 & 2, inhibitor 1 & 2, Strobe 1 & 2, Turbo charger 1 & 2, Mana Jammer and Armor Plates 3 & 4, Target Marker, Auto Rep. Kit 1-4, Attuner, Coiler 2. Those are what I find myself using more than most others. Should grab the others if possible though just in case.
It depends if you can melee with the pet and if they have resistance to SC's or not. Anything from 30 sec to 5 minutes.