Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » News » Cloudflare vulnerability
Cloudflare vulnerability
Administrator
By Rooks 2017-02-24 08:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Yesterday, a vulnerability in Cloudflare, a popular caching and proxy service, was revealed to have had a major vulnerability in leaking user session information, even over https. FFXIAH uses Cloudflare (as does bg-wiki I believe, but I could be wrong). The exact nature of what could be discovered with the vulnerability was fairly random, so any individual piece of data is likely safe; but as with anything along these lines, it is better to be safe than sorry, especially given how long this vulnerability was in the field.

Taviso's announcement: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1139
Partial list of sites affected: https://github.com/pirate/sites-using-cloudflare/blob/master/README.md
More reading: https://medium.com/@octal/cloudbleed-how-to-deal-with-it-150e907fd165

tl,dr: you should strongly consider changing your password, pretty much everywhere
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-02-24 17:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Think it's worth bumping.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2017-02-24 18:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

my password here is password... you're saying i'm now vulnerable?
[+]
 Fenrir.Celdwn
Server: Fenrir
user: celdwn
By Fenrir.Celdwn 2017-02-24 18:26:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Since day one, SE has warned about the unsafe nature of third party software and unauthorized websites. Isn't this really just that warning finally coming to fruition? But thanks for repeating the heads up from 2004.
By Jetackuu 2017-02-24 18:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Celdwn said: »
Since day one, SE has warned about the unsafe nature of third party software and unauthorized websites. Isn't this really just that warning finally coming to fruition? But thanks for repeating the heads up from 2004.

No.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2017-02-24 18:53:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean I guess if you make all your passwords the same and thus your XI password is the same as your XIAH/BG/Reddit/etc password..
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2017-02-24 19:02:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Even a desperate russian teenager would give my identity back if it was stolen
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2017-02-24 19:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for spreading the message. This is the biggest security vulnerability since Heartbleed (perhaps even worse), so please take it seriously everyone
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2017-02-24 19:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Celdwn said: »

this literally has nothing to do with ffxi
 Bismarck.Patrik
Server: Bismarck
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2017-02-24 19:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Transferwise uses cloudflare... I use that to send money to US bank account. I hope someone hacks it and sends me money...
Administrator
By Rooks 2017-02-24 20:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
Thanks for spreading the message. This is the biggest security vulnerability since Heartbleed (perhaps even worse), so please take it seriously everyone

Yeah. FFXIAH's window of vulnerability is actually so small as to basically be non-existent - we don't use it for anything other than a glorified CDN for static assets. But this is widespread enough that I felt it merited a post.
[+]
By Sidiov 2017-02-24 22:51:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Web needs more 2fa
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-02-25 12:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're not sure if a website you use is affected you can use this useful tool: http://www.doesitusecloudflare.com/
By Jetackuu 2017-02-25 13:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
If you're not sure if a website you use is affected you can use this useful tool: http://www.doesitusecloudflare.com/

notsureifthatworkssowell.
[+]
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
Server: Asura
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2017-02-25 13:41:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »
(as does bg-wiki I believe, but I could be wrong)
We do! The server admin has already contacted Cloudflare neither bg forums nor bgwiki were hit.

Official post by him here.

Edit: I'd still recommend changing your password if you were using the same one on another site. Won't get into why that is already a horrible idea to start with though.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: misacat
By Nadleeh Sakurai 2017-02-25 15:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

oh noes. my msp pixels!

all seriousness, thanks for the warning
Administrator
By Rooks 2017-02-25 15:48:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

Nah, it works fine. Like I said, FFXIAH itself is not vulnerable in any real way - we only use it for the cdn servers (cdn.ffxipro.com), which aren't under ffxiah.com/ffxivpro.com to begin with. All login/forum/sales traffic is free and clear.

The only reason I posted at all is 1) it affects sites in our community and 2) it's big enough that it probably merited a post on its own, since not everyone follows computer security news ;)
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-02-25 15:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, it works fine. Like I said, FFXIAH itself is not vulnerable in any real way - we only use it for the cdn servers (cdn.ffxipro.com), which aren't under ffxiah.com/ffxivpro.com to begin with. All login/forum/sales traffic is free and clear.

The only reason I posted at all is 1) it affects sites in our community and 2) it's big enough that it probably merited a post on its own, since not everyone follows computer security news ;)

Is there reason you're not outright saying sites/apps like TeamSpeak, Discord, Fedoraland (Reddit, though I think they changed their CDN before this), Uber etc. use it in some capacity?

Since chances are people on this site use those sites/services.
Administrator
By Rooks 2017-02-25 16:05:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

Is there reason you're not outright saying TeamSpeak, Discord, Fedoraland (Reddit, though I think they changed there CDN before this), Uber use it in some capacity?

Since chances are people on this site use those sites/services.

I linked to a fairly complete list (and now there's a tool to check a site, that's handy). My concern with my Admin hat on is for this site (we're fine) and the sites we're closely aligned with (BG being the big one). But I guess I thought I had made the warning dire enough that people would investigate it a little more on their own and not need a full list from me.