Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Warrior » Starting WAR gearsets
Starting WAR gearsets
First Page 2
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-28 02:20:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so after being questioned a lot, in game and via PM, about "starting" WAR gearsets I figured I'd do a thread and see what people think.

The goal of this is to have functional sets that can be obtained without mercing and with a small group of friends without already having a ton of jobs at high level geared. So no REMA's, no nicely augmented Reisen gear, no HQ Abjurations, no high level R/EX gear (Telos earring) / ect. Something a returning WAR can put together and get CP and start the gear climb.

GAXE (because GS doesn't really become viable until nicer gear is obtained) Starter TP set

ItemSet 349202

71% DA with 0 JP
62 Store TP (47+15)
Capped gear haste
Tons of accuracy
Extra Crit rate with Crit Damage

Tried to keep it cheap and with stuff that's pretty easy to get. Earrings kinda had me pause because there is some BC stuff that pairs well with brutal but figured the delve combos set provided the most generic stats for a low level WAR. Hands came down to NQ Emicho vs Flamma with Emicho giving a bit better accuracy and 1 more Store TP. Using the Boii +1 head because it's 7% haste and lets you use a Store TP grip, either Bloodrain or the one off the AH. Ioska belt is pretty much a requirement now, it's a million gil well spent. Rest is Flamma because that stuff seems pretty useful. Weapon is augmented Minos because it's ridiculously powerful for starter WAR's. Yetshila vs Ginsen with Yetshila being super cheap off AH.

DMG 274 Delay 504
Attack +15
Accuracy +70 (best reason to use it)
DA +10
Crit +5%

So whats everyone's input here? What's reasonable for a newbie WAR to achieve without already having another geared job or ppl willing to carry them along? Next is looking at some basic WS sets.
[+]
 Siren.Dilandu
Server: Siren
user: Dilandu
By Siren.Dilandu 2017-01-28 08:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Vagary isn't easy to get a win at least on a smaller server. Could use Gracile grip and Flamma head to keep haste capped.
[+]
 Bahamut.Tychefm
Server: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2017-01-28 10:32:01
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the ultimate Gearset you should be working towards:

[+]
By fillerbunny9 2017-01-28 11:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Dilandu said: »
Vagary isn't easy to get a win at least on a smaller server. Could use Gracile grip and Flamma head to keep haste capped.

Bloodrain Strap is not from Vagary. it drops from DM II as well as one of the high tier AA fights (GK, I think, could be wrong).

Edit: oh, you're referring to the Boii Mask +1. don't mind me, I just got out of bed -_-
 Bismarck.Shyral
Server: Bismarck
user: shyral
By Bismarck.Shyral 2017-01-28 11:53:36
Link | Quote | Reply

What about people recently returning to the game who don't have access to flamma?
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-28 12:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Dilandu said: »

Yeah thought of that later on, so going to have to use Flamma +1 head with gracile grip. At least it's more accuracy.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-28 13:15:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Shyral said: »
What about people recently returning to the game who don't have access to flamma?

Spam ambuscade for the vouchers and buy it. Really nothing comes close to what that stuff will do for a beginning player. Sulvia's ends up being a half decent Upheaval set because of it's acc/atk and VIT.

After that your talking augmented reisen gear or the Acro set but both of those cost a lot of money to get augmented, which is something a new WAR would be saving rather then spending.

This isn't a concrete guide or anything, just wanted to get a discussion going about gear options for new or returning WAR's who need to get a functional set to do CP and be capable of contributing to getting Riesen T1/T2 gear.
By dinotron 2017-01-28 14:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

Spam ambuscade for the vouchers and buy it.

Currently the Flamma set isn't available via vouchers. Hopefully they add it in soon!

EDIT: Also, thank you very much for putting this together Saevel. I've been following your posts for a while and they have been invaluable to a returning player like myself.
 Sylph.Darkside
Server: Sylph
user: Kensai98
By Sylph.Darkside 2017-02-13 22:49:55
Link | Quote | Reply

dinotron said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »

Spam ambuscade for the vouchers and buy it.

Currently the Flamma set isn't available via vouchers. Hopefully they add it in soon!

EDIT: Also, thank you very much for putting this together Saevel. I've been following your posts for a while and they have been invaluable to a returning player like myself.
Has the flamma set been added to vouchers yet? I have a couple friends who just leveled warrior and I missed a couple +1 pieces myself. I absolutely detest ambuscade so unless it's been added I'll wait. Lol
 Bismarck.Shyral
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Shyral 2017-02-13 23:18:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Not yet.
 Asura.Madotsukii
user: Madotsuki
By Asura.Madotsukii 2017-02-14 13:26:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Darkside said: »
Has the flamma set been added to vouchers yet?
Unfortunately not, as I too don't have the set. I noticed that the current voucher has the first 5 armor pieces on it, and this month's Mallquis set marks the 10th set of Ambuscade armor. I'm guessing either they are planning to add a second voucher for the most recent 5, or might rotate which set of 5 are available by voucher. I hope it's the former personally, which would mean returning/new players have access to even more pieces each month. But who knows.

EDIT: Happened to check the official forums, apparently there was a post about this just this early morning!

Quote:
Hi there!

For Ambuscade, instead of using existing vouchers, we're planning to add new vouchers soon which can only be exchanged for the newer items.

Thanks for your inquiry!
[+]
By Davorin 2017-02-14 14:33:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe putting something together w/o Flamma +1 would be worthwhile.

Sets that should be available at this point to a newbie warrior might include Sulevia's (+1), Xaddi, Eschite, or Despair. Maybe some reforged AF +1 or Relic +1 can hold you over. I would assume the next progression from there would be reforged Empyrean +1 and Emicho, and possibly some Founder's.

Gearing priorities would be: Capped gear haste > Acc >>>>> DA/Store TP

Obviously most, if not all, of these pieces wouldn't be better than Flamma +1, but hey, at least they're currently obtainable.
[+]
 Sylph.Darkside
By Sylph.Darkside 2017-02-14 14:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Madotsukii said: »
Sylph.Darkside said: »
Has the flamma set been added to vouchers yet?
Unfortunately not, as I too don't have the set. I noticed that the current voucher has the first 5 armor pieces on it, and this month's Mallquis set marks the 10th set of Ambuscade armor. I'm guessing either they are planning to add a second voucher for the most recent 5, or might rotate which set of 5 are available by voucher. I hope it's the former personally, which would mean returning/new players have access to even more pieces each month. But who knows.

EDIT: Happened to check the official forums, apparently there was a post about this just this early morning!

Quote:
Hi there!

For Ambuscade, instead of using existing vouchers, we're planning to add new vouchers soon which can only be exchanged for the newer items.

Thanks for your inquiry!
Fantastic news! Thanks for sharing. I would have missed that for sure
 Sylph.Darkside
By Sylph.Darkside 2017-02-14 14:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Davorin said: »
Maybe putting something together w/o Flamma +1 would be worthwhile.

Sets that should be available at this point to a newbie warrior might include Sulevia's (+1), Xaddi, Eschite, or Despair. Maybe some reforged AF +1 or Relic +1 can hold you over. I would assume the next progression from there would be reforged Empyrean +1 and Emicho, and possibly some Founder's.

Gearing priorities would be: Capped gear haste > Acc >>>>> DA/Store TP

Obviously most, if not all, of these pieces wouldn't be better than Flamma +1, but hey, at least they're currently obtainable.
Yes, Thank you. I currently helped my buddies get the emicho gauntlets and then the rest of the gear is currently just despair and eschite gear... so yes, until I help them do the Sulevia's / Flamma this will tide them over for lower level stuff.
 Asura.Theenabler
By Asura.Theenabler 2017-02-22 18:37:05
Link | Quote | Reply

If it's feasible, I would love to see progression sets from the one you have listed in the first post. I have a couple friends who play WAR who feel "stuck" in flamma. They have multiple odyssean/valorous/emicho pieces but aren't too sure where to focus their time and effort as far as which pieces to augment first, and what they're looking for on augments etc.
 Asura.Radicalp
By Asura.Radicalp 2017-02-22 19:06:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I came back to the game about 3 months ago, and dug around the main WAR thread quite a bit. From a lot of the comments there (especially from Saevel), I've been able to pull this set together:

ItemSet 348422

There is no Flamma in the set as I started the month after it was available. Also, the Mache Earring is not ideal, but I'm still trying to get a Cessance earring. Another thing missing is Omen gear as my friends and I are still at a card farming stage.

This set includes a number of accessory upgrades from Saevel's starter set. The Lissome Necklace is very good and pretty easy to get. So are the Bloodrain Strap, Ginsen, and the aforementioned Cessance Earring.

On the Emicho Body and Hands I went the accuracy path, as accuracy seems to be my biggest hurdle at the moment. For Odyssean pants and Valorous feet my focus was accuracy and STP. How much STP you need will of course depend on what weapon you use. To hit 5-hit on Rag, you need in the low to mid 60s. A Gaxe will likely need less.

I just wanted to post an upgraded(?) set from Saevel's starter set that can still definitely be improved upon. Hopefully it helps. I'm looking forward to the reappearance of Flamma, because I should be able to fit 1-2 of those pieces in to further improve it. And then there's the omen gear with the Utu grip, and upgraded feet (and maybe pants).
[+]
 Asura.Theenabler
By Asura.Theenabler 2017-02-22 19:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the reply! For reference here's what my one friend's sets look like:

ItemSet 349667

Odyssean legs are augmented with str acc and stp if I remember right.

ItemSet 349668

We can easily grab any gear up through t3 reisens without much problems. We're more stuck at a point where we don't know what would be the most beneficial thing to focus on. Rag is in progress then he plans to work on hq argosy for ws, as far as Gil upgrades go.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-02-22 20:16:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Theenabler said: »
We can easily grab any gear up through t3 reisens without much problems. We're more stuck at a point where we don't know what would be the most beneficial thing to focus on. Rag is in progress then he plans to work on hq argosy for ws, as far as Gil upgrades go.

Your friend did it the right way. He built a solid TP / WS set with an easier weapon with Zulfiqar before attempting to get an AG Rag. Everyone rush's straight for the glowy super weapon without first stopping to get the appropriate gear and end up sucking ***.

Rag needs at least 64 Store TP in TP set along with a decent amount in WS for a 5-hit. Zulfiqar only requires 43 Store TP while also having more WDMG (seriously it's higher then Ragnarok). Rag's big bonus is the raw amount of sheer accuracy that you get with it. It's down side is the 431 delay making Store TP much more difficult to build around.
[+]
 Asura.Terasan
user: Terasan
By Asura.Terasan 2017-03-10 17:29:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bit of a silly question, but I'm not seeing it anywhere else, but what would I be augmenting a WS Cichol's with, assuming I'd use it for Reso? Specifically, whichever bit gives DA/STP/WSD, since I assume the other two are still STR/Acc+Atk.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-03-10 17:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Terasan said: »
Bit of a silly question, but I'm not seeing it anywhere else, but what would I be augmenting a WS Cichol's with, assuming I'd use it for Reso? Specifically, whichever bit gives DA/STP/WSD, since I assume the other two are still STR/Acc+Atk.

For Reso? STR +30 Atk/Acc +20 DA +10

The Dye augment is between STR / Acc depending on what else you have in your set. Try to get your WS acc about the same as your TP acc because it sucks to whiff hits on Resolution.

For Upheaval it's VIT Acc / Atk and then DA or WSD depending on your weapon and how much TP you WS in.
 Asura.Terasan
user: Terasan
By Asura.Terasan 2017-03-10 17:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Awesome, thanks for the quick answer Sae! Thank God this month's Intense is super easy, gonna make getting these capes easy as hell :D
By sudsi 2017-03-16 09:39:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been seeing a STR build on Cichol's being used for TP rather than DEX.

What is the benefit?
 Asura.Fiasko
By Asura.Fiasko 2017-03-16 10:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

sudsi said: »

What is the benefit?

Increase the dmg cap (fSTR) per swing but its all pointless if you need the 15 ACC from the DEX.
By sudsi 2017-03-16 10:44:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Part of the reason I ask is that while people will use the STR Cichol's for that fSTR, they will simultaneously scoff at using Rajas over Chirich.

Cape:
+30 STR vs. +15 ACC

Ring:
+5 STR vs. +3 (+3.25) ACC

Anyway, thank you.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-03-16 10:54:32
Link | Quote | Reply

sudsi said: »

What is the benefit?

Your TP and WS acc should be the same. Having 1250 acc in TP but 1180 acc in WS is useless. Either you buff for TP and have ***WS or you buff for WS and hsve extreme over acc.

Ultimately how you get equal acc is up to you, just get there.
By geigei 2017-03-21 03:14:39
Link | Quote | Reply

If thats a problem for you than you have serious issues and should seek medical treatment.
First Page 2