How Busy Of A Job Is Corsair?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » How busy of a job is Corsair?
How busy of a job is Corsair?
First Page 2
By Mrxdemix 2015-07-23 19:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm thinking about picking up Corsair. However, when I look at the skill list it appears as though the job is only using Phantom Roll once per minute as well as Quick Draw. I've read a few times that it's a busy job. Is it? If so, what am I missing?
 Asura.Suteru
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2015-07-23 20:21:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Damage dealing.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-23 20:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Mrxdemix said: »
I'm thinking about picking up Corsair. However, when I look at the skill list it appears as though the job is only using Phantom Roll once per minute as well as Quick Draw. I've read a few times that it's a busy job. Is it? If so, what am I missing?

A COR is as busy as they can be. You could be one of the COR's that just does rolls, maybe even do it well, then just kinda hang out, chat with your LS, etc. Or, you can choose an appropriate subjob for the content and get in there. /DNC and use steps and melee, /RNG on occasion, use QD to build TP or to lower elemental resistances, etc.

Heck, if you're doing a mage strat, COR can really dish out some punishment with GEO buffs.
 Asura.Cambion
user: Cambion
By Asura.Cambion 2015-07-23 21:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on how you play it.
In the right events, with the right gear, you can:
Roll 1
/wait 50
Roll 2
AFK for 10 minutes
Repeat

If your group needs you to be productive, then you should be. But more often than not, they just want your rolls, and could care less what else you do, lol.
By Zeak 2015-07-24 07:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

COR is a decidedly busy job, make no mistake. Actually, I'd go as far to say that most jobs are pretty busy nowadays, save a few (Not gonna stir the pot; you know who you are). The problem is, more often than not, COR is relegated to dual-box duties along with other support jobs like BRD, GEO and even WHM. This tends to lead to low-man strategies that evolve around minimal input from these jobs, regardless if there is an actual player at the helm full-time.

Another direct fallout is that some PT organizers will just demand this roll and that roll, and then you gotta fill in the gaps from that information (and the lack thereof). There aren't a whole lot of job specific guides floating around for each individual content, so you really gotta get some experience with the job to maximize your presence; you will rarely find others who have the time of day to give you a full walkthrough of your jobs many facets. The plus side is that a good deal of players won't expect much from you. The downside is that it's a bit of trial and error to understand your value in any given scenario. The basics are there, though:

-Shoot for damage/TP
-Melee if it's safe and you clear the accuracy threshold. /NIN if shadows are needed, /DNC for further support.
-Know your WS elemental alignments to create the desired skillchain
-Use QD for damage/TP, enhance specific debuffs or to augment the specified elemental nukes.
-/RDM for backline situations and RDM main is absent. Useful for Haste, Flurry, Refresh, Cures and Dia II. You can QD-enchance your own Dias.
-/WHM for when you have a sleepy/dual-boxed healer, making use of your previous duties as well.

That should keep you plenty busy in between rolls. You'll learn how to apply the job's features in different PT set-ups as you clear content, and then streamline it from there. I think the only time you'll find yourself going AFK to bake a cake is as a support in pet parties. It's usually a liability to build enmity while in pet parties, especially in situations where the pets are expected to die/rotate. Even so, with the actual length of battle becoming increasingly shorter as content progresses, there shouldn't be too much of a backlash from doing a little "more".
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-07-24 07:13:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Zeak outlined quite well the many responsibilities of a COR these days. Many people hold COR as a buffer and nothing more. Please do not live down to their poor expectations. COR is far more than the stereotype.
[+]
 Valefor.Seranos
Server: Valefor
user: Seranos
By Valefor.Seranos 2015-07-24 07:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The good news is that there are more and more options for COR in different situations. For the longest time, there weren't any good options for melee COR. Now there are a plethora of both swords and daggers with 242 skill that can be used depending on the situation.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 07:51:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Cambion said: »
If your group needs you to be productive, then you should be. But more often than not, they just want your rolls, and could care less what else you do, lol.

*grumbles*

Hate this. Hate people who do this. Hate corsair being relegated to mule status. Hate being asked to come on other jobs because corsair is underrated for anything but its buffs.

Sylph.Oraen said: »
Zeak outlined quite well the many responsibilities of a COR these days. Many people hold COR as a buffer and nothing more. Please do not live down to their poor expectations. COR is far more than the stereotype.

Said more diplomatically than I can manage right now.
[+]
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2015-07-24 07:56:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

*grumbles*

Hate this. Hate people who do this. Hate corsair being relegated to mule status. Hate being asked to come on other jobs because corsair is underrated for anything but its buffs.

Said more diplomatically than I can manage right now.

Just because a party wants you there for rolls doesn't mean you should literally do just that. <_<;
Lots of things a COR can do other than just rolls, even though people aren't asking you to often much more than that, you could be curing people the WHM doesn't have time for, shooting. Rolling someone who isn't just say, the DDs....
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 08:03:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shadowlina said: »
Just because a party wants you there for rolls doesn't mean you should literally do just that. <_<;

Not enough coffee in me yet to be more eloquent and I'm sort of jamming two seperate gripes into one. Sorry, my situation isn't that of the average pickup individual playing corsair.

I'm being mad at an abstract concept and a misunderstanding/misconception shared by many as well as my own personal situation which is a bit more complicated by a few additional factors.

Sylph.Shadowlina said: »
you could be curing people

No. I know Japanese groups in the old days pushed this corsair-as-backline-support thing and that many people to this day seem to think it's the best use, but no. There are enough support jobs in this day and age that if corsair can't be contributing to damage while rolling in a particular instance, there's a better job to have in the group than corsair.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-07-24 08:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Corsair should not be going as /whm unless you are brand new to the job, and can get away with rolling and not much else. (aside from the pet party situation stated above) Corsair has very little MP, no healing magic skill, and requires a full healing set for Cures to be worthwhile.

COR is a great DD, especially in instances like Yorcia Alluvion. Often I will get the TP roll going, and I can Quick Draw the eles for TP, and you can essentially one-shot elementals with Leaden or Wildfire. I was in a party the other day where someone was amazed by how much damage I was doing in there, and I was COR/DNC. (eles still hit hard though)

And COR is a good melee when you can do it. /nin in high tier battlefields is useful. Also you can /rdm and become a ranger, setting up skillchains with WF or LS. There's no reason for any COR to be stood back doing nothing, unless you are brand new to the job and don't have all the gear yet. COR requires so much equipment, I seperate melee Corsair and ranger Corsair equipment, so I don't end up with a clogged inventory.

Be more than just a roller ..
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-24 08:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cor is a very busy job. Hell it was one of the main reasons why I fell in love with the job, there was always so much to do.

more often than not, they just want your rolls, and could care less what else you do
Besides the wrongness of this, it isn't even true. I for one would kick someone who stands there doing nothing other than pop buffs. Be it cor, geo or brd.
[+]
Guide Maker
By Seha 2015-07-24 08:34:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Addendum: a cor who just uses buffs is actually not worth the spot in most party setups, cause the increase in party's dmg output isn't enough to outweight the absence of an additional dd.

If the cor is dealing damage however, it can't be on top of the parse(sometimes it can), but it can do very excellent damage which added with the buffs makes cor extremely valuable.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-07-24 08:35:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The pursuer's set alone should be evidence that COR is meant to deal damage. That set is the best thing to happen to COR's DD capability since Taeon. In fact, the past few months have basically thrown colossally powerful gear at us. I am 100% okay with this.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 08:39:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The pursuer's set alone should be evidence that COR is meant to deal damage. That set is the best thing to happen to COR's DD capability since Taeon. In fact, the past few months have basically thrown colossally powerful gear at us. I am 100% okay with this.

Yeah but it means actually doing crappy Escha with *** beastmasters and whatnot.

Uuuuggggh.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-07-24 08:47:29
Link | Quote | Reply

COR is great and busy too. With /dnc you can use Tactician's roll, Quick Draw, and use your TP to keep your party afloat. Couple that with Dancer's Roll (use Luzaf Ring so you make aure to hit everyone) and you've got a happy WHM. You can also safely shoot from afar for some extra TP to waltz with.
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2015-07-24 09:16:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
COR is great and busy too. With /dnc you can use Tactician's roll, Quick Draw, and use your TP to keep your party afloat. Couple that with Dancer's Roll (use Luzaf Ring so you make aure to hit everyone) and you've got a happy WHM. You can also safely shoot from afar for some extra TP to waltz with.

If you need to use waltz or dancers roll you need a new whm. Ignore all of the above quote if you want to keep people alive the easiest thing is to kill it quickly with proper DD buffs up.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-07-24 10:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Haha, yes, please don't take that message as serious. An inside joke from another thread. Rolls depend on your party's needs. Also, 2 rolls is often not enough. Since parties usually consist of a WHM or support job and not only dds, you'll want to roll for most people within reason.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-07-24 10:28:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Tacticians and Dancer's Roll in Alluvion skirmish, because half the time the melee are trying to find mobs, and you either 1) don't have a mage in the party or 2) the whm is doing the book, so it's handy in those situations.

COR is about using rolls wisely depending on your party and the situation. In any ranger setup with decent BRD/GEO buffs, you will default to Hunter's/Chaos. Also, most WHMs are efficient with their MP and/or have a BRD to ballad them, so it's rare they would be asking you for evoker's, but I would give them refresh if they are struggling or the BRD is bad/afk/dead. You can also do MAB and MACC rolls for Black Mages in content like Vagary.

And then you have the occasions where bards won't give you preludes (like they expect you to hit like a Ranger), so although you are doing hard content and have a nice ranged accuracy set, you will miss your shots because Corsair only has a B in Marksmanship. Then the BRD will wonder why you start using Tactician's, as there's no point using Chaos if you can't hit. That tends to happen on high level Unity battles.
 Phoenix.Faloun
Server: Phoenix
user: Chroph
By Phoenix.Faloun 2015-07-24 10:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

COR is awesome ! There is so many things you can do as COR !

The last thing I discovered, which is very interesting on COR, is the SuperCOR setup(all DDs are COR), so you can benefit from 6rolls or more.

There is some examples on youtube(superCOR Wopket and SuperCOR Muyingwa), hope it'll motivate your !

YouTube Video Placeholder

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Asura.Hoshiku
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-07-24 13:31:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but it means actually doing crappy Escha with *** beastmasters and whatnot.

Uuuuggggh.

T1's aren't too bad really. You could probably find 2 other people willing to farm whatever and go any setup under the sun thanks to trusts filling the roles of healer and tank. You could for instance find 2 ranger buddies with gessho, apururu, and koru-moru and decimate anything a T1 can throw at you (that might be difficult on the rawhide body tiger - but aside from that I think you'd be fine). I usually farm T1s as blm + geox2 with zeid ii, apururu, and gessho. One of the geos is a melee who buffs gessho and helps makes the skillchain and the rest of the damage is done with magic bursts. That's certainly not the only way to kill T1s though.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 13:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Trying not to broken record, but as I've said elsewhere, I just find Escha to be a very boring, teeth-grinding event regardless of how you do it.

"Best" to just do it the easiest way and be done with it. Lame as it is.
 Asura.Hoshiku
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-07-24 13:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
In any ranger setup with decent BRD/GEO buffs, you will default to Hunter's/Chaos.

Any ranger setup with bard and geo buffs will probably want Samurai roll. We usually ask the cor to sam/chaos unless one of the rng is undergeared for acc in which case we want sam/hunter. With samurai roll and doubleshot up I am able to self skillchain JR to JR with two attack rounds (really a 3hit but doubleshot etc).
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-07-24 14:25:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, never underestimate the strength of SAM roll. It's one of the absolute best buffs in the game. Self-SCs become a joke for literally every job with that up.
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-07-24 14:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

COR is secretly the strongest job in Ballista... that should tell you everything you need to know.

Real Corsairs can contribute to a party better than some traditional DDs in certain situations.

Whoever told you to go /whm lied, don't listen to them. If you need to go a /mage job go /rdm. (and you should only need to do this when there isn't an actual RDM in the party)

COR/RNG: Best when you are going into a pure range setup and need racc
COR/WAR: Same as above, but when you don't need accuracy
COR/DRG: When you need the accuracy AND you are pulling hate
COR/DNC: The ideal setup for most things as long as you can melee. Allows you to buff with COR abilities + debuff the monster / buff the party further + use Waltz
COR/NIN: I only ever used this on DM2
COR/RDM: Normal COR duties + Haste, Dia, Flurry, Cures, Convert
COR/BLM: WKR or high elemental damage specific

You should constantly be doing something on COR. Buffs are only one part of it.. a very important part, but only one part. You should be trying to deal as much damage as possible without pulling hate at all times (when buffs are up). Sometimes you will have puller duties, sometimes you will be on debuff duty (as /rdm or /dnc).

A GOOD Corsair never stops working.

edit* Forgot to mention COR/SAM: Best job in Ballista, pretty good for burns if you don't need acc and have a ton of buffs
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 14:35:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Reichleiu said: »
COR is secretly the strongest job in Ballista...

Ballista is secretly the worst PVP arena ever.
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-07-24 14:37:05
Link | Quote | Reply

COR is secretly the strongest job in Ballista...

Ballista is secretly the worst PVP arena ever.

That isn't a secret at all

But the fact that COR dominates it without being considered a great DD by the masses should tell people something about the job.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 14:38:05
Link | Quote | Reply

There are people I respect who really like Ballista, I treat it like an elephant in the room sometimes.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 14:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

*** you we don't. There's time for drinking and play! Otherwise what's the point in being a pirate?!
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-07-24 14:40:25
Link | Quote | Reply

There are people I respect who really like Ballista, I treat it like an elephant in the room sometimes.

taking COR into ballista is almost unfair. COR > DRK SCH RDM PLD > every other job.

*** you we don't. There's time for drinking and play! Otherwise what's the point in being a pirate?!

Who doesn't drink and play this game at this point?
First Page 2