Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » RDM solo these days
RDM solo these days
 Asura.Mustybadger
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Mustybadger 2015-05-26 04:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi all,

Out of interest, and as I am in the midst of levelling up a new character, what sort of events can a RDM solo these days?

Are they able to solo Delve?
I'm assuming they are able to solo WKR?
SKCNM20 events should be easy enough these days with trusts?
Any AA fights?
T1 Escha - Zitah? T2/T3?
Alluvion Skirmish? (This is pretty much a given seeing as THF can solo all floors with enough Obsidian Frags)
Outer Ra'Kaznar Skirmish?
Amount of Unity events that can be solo'd? Any that can't?

I also have another character so could dual box if need be, so if any of the events listed above cannot be solo'd what would be the best duo combination?

Cerberus.Drayco
Server: Cerberus
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2015-05-26 05:50:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Delve - Normal mobs and some NMs, certainly not the mega boss
WKR - Some possible, but be ready for a 4hr+ fight at best
SKCNM20 - Normal difficulty should be no problem. I would think you would time out on D or VD
AA - Same as SKCNM20, but N will be harder
Escha - I believe you need 3 people to pop the NMs
Skirmish - Yes, you should be able to solo most 333 pops.
Unity - top tier ones, I doubt you could solo. The lower tiers easily.
 Shiva.Hiep
Server: Shiva
user: Hiepo
By Shiva.Hiep 2015-05-26 07:26:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Check out this guy's channel. He does a ton of D/VD fights on mage jobs. https://www.youtube.com/user/gajigajiko
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-05-26 14:35:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Delvl/keep your RDM at Lv.75, and solo the real stuff bro.

That's where the fun is at, and the challenge, quite frankly. RDM solo is boring and a shadow of it's former self these days, atleast in current endgame, that is.
By Draylo 2015-05-26 14:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really, most of the fights that Hygaji does are harder than anything from 75 days. Most strats from 75 days involved gravity/DOT kiting for hours lol.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-26 14:46:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Drayco said: »
Delve - Normal mobs and some NMs, certainly not the mega boss
WKR - Some possible, but be ready for a 4hr+ fight at best
SKCNM20 - Normal difficulty should be no problem. I would think you would time out on D or VD
AA - Same as SKCNM20, but N will be harder
Escha - I believe you need 3 people to pop the NMs
Skirmish - Yes, you should be able to solo most 333 pops.
Unity - top tier ones, I doubt you could solo. The lower tiers easily.

RDM can definitely solo MOST of the delve bosses, it just can't solo the zone in time.

RDM can solo WKR fairly quickly, definitely not hours.

D and VD SKCNM's depending on your gear/competency

All AA's D and some VD are possible, but not practical

I never tried to solo Unity or Skirmish because it was a waste of time and you need bodies just to enter.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-05-26 14:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Not really, most of the fights that Hygaji does are harder than anything from 75 days. Most strats from 75 days involved gravity/DOT kiting for hours lol.

I can't even think of many fights that were gravity/dot battles aside from silly insignificant battles like Faust, etc. Real RDMs were up in the face with monsters, and anything of real value that was your only option in most cases. There are some exceptional cases like Seiryu, but I really can't think of many.

As for the things Hygaji does being harder than anything 75-cap, I suppose I can't really be sure since I haven't been on both sides of things, but the tools and gear options RDM gets these days is just ridiculous, and RDM isn't the only job able to do these things.

RDM was pretty much the only job solo'ing Suzaku in the day. That monster you'd bring parties, sometimes multiples of, to.

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-26 14:59:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Josiahfk said: »
All the AA on difficulty jassik? Sounds like impressive solos for some of them.

Yes, but Mithra and Hume basically require perfect gearsets.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-05-26 15:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I can't even think of many fights that were gravity/dot battles aside from silly insignificant battles like Faust, etc. Real RDMs were up in the face with monsters, and anything of real value that was your only option in most cases. There are some exceptional cases like Seiryu, but I really can't think of many.
If I remember right, Avesta did almost every solo with Grav/DoTing techniques. Seiryu, Genbu, ODST, Hakutaku, Charby, Ungur, probably more I am forgetting. The only ones I can think of that he meleed are Cactrot and the Penitent Rope BCNM, and he face tanked Suzaku.

Obviously this is only one soloer but I think most people will agree he was basically the face of Rdm soloing at 75.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-26 15:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
Quote:
If I remember right, Avesta did almost every solo with Grav/DoTing techniques. Seiryu, Genbu, ODST, Hakutaku, Charby, Ungur, probably more I am forgetting. The only ones I can think of that he meleed are Cactrot and the Penitent Rope BCNM, and he face tanked Suzaku.

Obviously this is only one soloer but I think most people will agree he was basically the face of Rdm soloing at 75.

Just because Avesta did it that way doesn't mean that was the only way. Boring mobs to death was more useful before the mob TP adjustments.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-05-26 15:13:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Ah, Hakutaku was the other one, yeah.

Charby can be done straight with a ceremonial dagger, same with Ungur. Genbu can also be done with way, but it'd only make the battle slower, really.

That's where the list ends really, I can't think of much else you'd do that with unless it's silly NMs like Despot, Faust, and Zipacna.
By Draylo 2015-05-26 15:16:45
Link | Quote | Reply

They were all drawn out endurance fights with gravity/DOT or nuking, only a few were done by meleeing mostly like Rapido, Big bomb etc. It really isn't that much different now days except for the fact its faster and more fun than those two hour solos. Why would anyone wanna spend two hours soloing something by whittling its HP down slowly when you can do it today much faster and have more fun in the process? It's not like you can solo these in sparks gear, they still require extreme gear optimization for the hardest ones.

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-26 15:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
Siren.Josiahfk said: »
All the AA on difficulty jassik? Sounds like impressive solos for some of them.

Yes, but Mithra and Hume basically require perfect gearsets.
Can you Lower Macc III and use full Meva+125 augmented telch to resist nms at that level? Or Macc is too high and best to go another route hmmm

Because I made the set already, would be great if I can exploit on RDM too

I geared for Meva with varied results. I quit a while back, and hadn't tried to solo anything in quite a while. I used the sparks Meva set, I'm sure the options have got a lot better since then.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-05-26 19:32:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Why would anyone wanna spend two hours soloing something by whittling its HP down slowly

Fair enough you if you aren't into this kind of thing. Personally I like fighting tough enemies in drawn out battles, especially if it's something that can keep me on my toes for a long period of time. The satisfaction in defeating them is great, atleast I find.

It doesn't always need to even be a defeat, I've been competing with a friend recently who can hold things like Tiamat, Khimaira etc the longest solo on RDM. Good fun.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-05-27 02:42:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
Quote:

Ah, Hakutaku was the other one, yeah.

Charby can be done straight with a ceremonial dagger, same with Ungur. Genbu can also be done with way, but it'd only make the battle slower, really.

That's where the list ends really, I can't think of much else you'd do that with unless it's silly NMs like Despot, Faust, and Zipacna.
I specifically mentioned how he did it, which was with Bind/Grav+DoT/nuke. Obviously Avestas way wasn't the only way but he was THE Rdm soloer back at 75 and the first thing anyone thinks of.