Returning After A 6 Year Hiatus

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Carbuncle » Returning after a 6 year hiatus
Returning after a 6 year hiatus
By Firebrandt 2014-08-17 08:13:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey all, I just reinstalled this game after quitting in 2007 with a quick return in the summer of 2008.

Obviously a lot has changed since then, but I've been having the itch for a while and wanted to return just for fun. As to be expected, essentially all my friends list is no longer playing, and my HNMLS has disbanded.

Does anyone have a social / event LS with openings or just want to get together and do missions? I am on ToAU 29 and WotG... 2? I haven't played any of Abyssea or Adoulin yet but will probably pick them up soon.

I am a WHM 75, WAR 71, BLM 66..
 Carbuncle.Akivatoo
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Akivatoo
By Carbuncle.Akivatoo 2014-08-17 08:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

UP WHM to level 99 then build Yagrush and join good LS !
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-17 08:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Heck, getting WHM to 99 isn't enough anymore.

Not unless you have a +7 refresh idle set, a cursna set, Cure Potency +50% plus Cure Spellcasting time -80% with free Cure 1-3s all-in-one set, and an enfeebling set. Otherwise, you are just a pick-up WHM.

Don't forget /SCH sub too.
 Carbuncle.Blazer
Server: Carbuncle
user: blazey
By Carbuncle.Blazer 2014-08-17 09:34:32
Link | Quote | Reply

All of the missions besides seekers can be solo'd now. Once you hit 99 and get your sparks set spend a bit and get all the available trusts, you can use these in a lot of mission fights now (I think).
By Firebrandt 2014-08-17 09:57:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I am working on Scholar now...

The rest is a little intimidating, ha.
 Ragnarok.Drewbles
Server: Ragnarok
user: Tedril
By Ragnarok.Drewbles 2014-08-17 10:05:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Not unless you have a +7 refresh idle set, a cursna set, Cure Potency +50% plus Cure Spellcasting time -80% with free Cure 1-3s all-in-one set, and an enfeebling set. Otherwise, you are just a pick-up WHM.

All in one set? You know there are A. Addons for this, aka gearswap or spellcast. and B. it is actually built into the game now...
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-08-17 10:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Drewbles said: »

All in one set? You know there are A. Addons for this, aka gearswap or spellcast. and B. it is actually built into the game now...

I think what he meant was, if you use in game macro the swapping speed won't be fast enough when you have 80% FC.

New gear set system is slow as *** btw. Sometimes it even get errors if I click too fast.
 Ragnarok.Drewbles
By Ragnarok.Drewbles 2014-08-17 10:35:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »

I think what he meant was, if you use in game macro the swapping speed won't be fast enough when you have 80% FC.

New gear set system is slow as *** btw. Sometimes it even get errors if I click too fast.
Havent used it, I use gearswap, which for mages these days is pretty much required.
 Phoenix.Peeroturo
Server: Phoenix
user: Chroph
By Phoenix.Peeroturo 2014-08-17 10:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

And don't forget Orison Legs +2 with all that kingnobody said

Don't forget to use Orison Body +2 for single cures, and heka's for curaga (with keeping in mind to always have Cure pot+50%)

Perfectly geared whm kinda never get out of mp
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-17 11:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Havent used it, I use gearswap, which for mages these days is pretty much required.
I assume the worst and hope for the best.

It's better to have a Potency+50%/Spellcasting Time-80% all-in-one set than it is to have one or the other.

If the guy is smart, and plays on a computer, he can get them separated and still do ok.
By Pantafernando 2014-08-17 11:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont know where you saw any reference to gearswap or game change system in kn post.
I think he was saying something sarcastic to dude above him that "just" sugested op to build an yagrush as first advice.
It wasnt even mentioned if op wants to work in his whm...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-17 11:42:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It wasn't fully sarcastic.

Just that a Yagrush isn't enough anymore. Or even needed to be a good WHM.

Yeah, it will make the WHM's life easier every time they cast a -na spell, but that's not all a WHM does.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-08-17 11:55:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, mages are playable without 3rd pt tool, just not as easy.
 Ragnarok.Drewbles
By Ragnarok.Drewbles 2014-08-17 12:20:04
Link | Quote | Reply

well fact is w/o them, there is a cap on how good you can be
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-08-17 12:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

fact is even with tools people can still suck, a good xbox player is still a good whm, iE hybrid cure set gets around cast time+ potency which granted isn't "ideal" but cure potency for a difference of 20~40 extra hop a cure isn't huge, its better mp efficiency wise like but ~

Better having a hybrid cure set while having a idle refresh set thats decents, an Enfeebling set for those instances where you are required to land silence or other enfeebs on NMs and a Cursna set - cursna set can be gotten around by people taking Holy waters with em or just plain not sucking and managing to break the aura's ~.

Cursna set is like 7 pieces of gear - xbox players can easily manage this.

Enfeebling is 1 gearset with a small delay - again not an issue.

I'd say that allows them to be competent if not near optimal.

I would say that Battlemod is probably the biggest loss and timers, but you can keep timers in your head easily enough and adjust your filters to help you mage a little better.

Personally I feel tools don't make you better, they just allow you to be slightly lazier.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-08-17 13:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

"I don't use 3rd pt tool" is usually an excuse to suck anyways. Plenty of ppl play fairly well without it, it's not "required" to play the job.

Cerberus.Conagh said: »
I'd say that allows them to be competent if not near optimal.

The above post said it's "required", but "required" is different from "master".

If you want to master a job, then you may need 3rd pt tool. But it's far from required to perform decently.
 Ragnarok.Drewbles
By Ragnarok.Drewbles 2014-08-17 13:15:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Not saying its a requirement to play the job i was speaking for the side of getting a good ls, which was in the OP. As far as what this player should do, yes gear whm, make sure you setup a gearswap to optimize your gear and in no time you will be going to events and gearing up a DD job. 3 jobs is your best way to go, have a support job a niche job and a DD. To me sounds like whm, sch, and war are your best bets. Gearing them in that order.

War though taking more time to gear, definitely has its place these days, if you dont really care about what job you are playing level monk play delve for a week on whm and boom your monk should be about done. But war is an obvious option just takes more research and finesse.