Are We Bards Awesome, Or Just Stagnating?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Bard » Are We Bards Awesome, or just Stagnating?
Are We Bards Awesome, or just Stagnating?
 Leviathan.Kaparu
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-10-08 20:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

BRD really only shines in single-party situations where accuracy or MP are serious issues which, granted, probably do exist, but they're far from the norm
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-10-08 20:46:04
Link | Quote | Reply

But again- that's not to say that everyone should suddenly stop using/inviting BRD, it just means there's no legitimate reason for preferring it outside of extreme circumstances. The difference is paltry in either direction
 Bismarck.Ariyon
Server: Bismarck
user: Ariyon
By Bismarck.Ariyon 2014-10-08 20:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kaparu said: »
Being in range is a boon, not a detriment. You're increasing the MP return of curaga

I never took WHM higher than subjob level, and that was back before they even got the Afflatus JAs, so I'm not too familiar with how it performs nowadays.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-10-08 20:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

No problem. AF3+2 legs refund MP based on the amount cured, so the more people safely in melee range, the better
 Bismarck.Ariyon
By Bismarck.Ariyon 2014-10-08 20:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I see. Then yeah, I'd say having an extra body in range would definitely be a good thing.

More than anything though, I'd say GEO has made it so that people can no longer half-*** BRD just for the sake of getting invites. A capped skill GEO with mediocre gear would outdo a BRD with capped skill and no G.Horn/Daur just because GEO doesn't need anything else to reach its maximum potential.
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-10-08 21:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing is you aren't really competing with the first Geo, you should really always have 1 Geo for Fury/Frailty. It's the second spot you are competing for (maybe even the 3rd) where you have either Geo bringing Haste+Vex (or Accuracy) or Brd bringing Marchx2 + Min (or Madrigal). It's super situational too, if you don't need Vex or Accuracy you have to use either really weak spells (Like Indi-STR) or survival spells like wilt. Entrust made it even more situational as you can add in another bubble on mobs that may need a specific buff like Vex or Torpor.
 Lakshmi.Amymy
Server: Lakshmi
user: Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2014-10-09 06:33:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
The thing is you aren't really competing with the first Geo, you should really always have 1 Geo for Fury/Frailty. It's the second spot you are competing for (maybe even the 3rd) where you have either Geo bringing Haste+Vex (or Accuracy) or Brd bringing Marchx2 + Min (or Madrigal). It's super situational too, if you don't need Vex or Accuracy you have to use either really weak spells (Like Indi-STR) or survival spells like wilt. Entrust made it even more situational as you can add in another bubble on mobs that may need a specific buff like Vex or Torpor.

When I made daurabla 90 they released the 3 song instrument when I make ghorn they came out with skirmish flute now just when I am 75 percent done with daurabla 99 they gave geo entrust. At least this time I have the option of trading it in or trying to sell it and just gear geo.

Decisions decisions. =D

Well how does a 4 song Bard that cost 500 million or more to make stack up with a regular geo? That's my question.
By Crevox 2014-10-09 06:55:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Entrust does not receive the full benefit of your gear, and thus is not as potent as your first two abilities.

It's not nearly as good as it seemed like it would be.
 Bismarck.Ariyon
By Bismarck.Ariyon 2014-10-09 21:14:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Crevox said: »
Entrust does not receive the full benefit of your gear, and thus is not as potent as your first two abilities.

Is anything SE gives us ever as good as the patch notes make it sound?
By Crevox 2014-10-10 06:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ariyon said: »
Crevox said: »

Is anything SE gives us ever as good as the patch notes make it sound?

Well, I personally believed it would be a replacement for your personal Indi, simply allowing you to put your own on someone else. The fact that it lets you have 3 bubbles means it is far better than I originally imagined.

Regardless, it does have a detriment, which balances it and makes it less stupid and OP than I thought it was going to be when I heard it lets you have 3 bubbles. Still, it could be a bug, knowing SE.
 Sylph.Feary
Server: Sylph
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2014-10-12 13:35:47
Link | Quote | Reply

S.E does a good enough job with job balance maintaining job vs job, brd will always be relevant, wanted and used. however what it comes down to is content. if you need the job, you will need the job.

so we should ok as long as they dont bring back content like vw and dun dun dun abyssea. which did brd in with atmas and /brd to proc.

yes buff jobs were always there and a benefit but not necessary and when that happens...

we bards know how dark of period that was.
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
Server: Carbuncle
user: bukasmith
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-10-18 23:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

it would be offensive if they high tiered abyssea;;;;;;
 Odin.Calipso
Server: Odin
user: Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-10-19 00:20:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Amymy said: »
Asura.Failaras said: »

When I made daurabla 90 they released the 3 song instrument when I make ghorn they came out with skirmish flute now just when I am 75 percent done with daurabla 99 they gave geo entrust. At least this time I have the option of trading it in or trying to sell it and just gear geo.

Decisions decisions. =D

Well how does a 4 song Bard that cost 500 million or more to make stack up with a regular geo? That's my question.

I personally just play the game under the assumption that anything has the potential to be one-upped or lose it's value from having something similar come out.

If the thought of my expensive gear becoming obsolete really really irks me, I don't spend gil on it or make it.

If I have a lot of disposable income sitting around and it'll benefit me immediately in the near future and it seems fun, I go for it.

That being said, I really don't see brd going anywhere anytime soon. 4 songs are still quite nice especially in higher tier content.
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-10-19 00:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
so we should ok as long as they dont bring back content like vw and dun dun dun abyssea. which did brd in with atmas and /brd to proc.
Yeah Abyssea was bad for brds just like it was bad for a ton of jobs, but VW you still had to have a Brd for the main PT unless you wanted to take 10 minutes to kill and many alliances brought 2 or even 3 Brds because the job was always useful.
By maldini 2014-10-19 00:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Grant bard 2 stances (like hasso/seigan) that does the following:

1. First stance - reduces amount of songs you can sing by 1, but extends all songs to alliance and increases duration of songs by 25%.

2. Second stance - enhances potency and decreases duration of all songs by 25%

regards, Maldini
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
Server: Lakshmi
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2014-10-19 01:13:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It is about time BRD gotten take off the top of the food chain for buffs, if you ask me. It was been way to long that BRD has been required for anything remotely hard. Even with GEO haste, scherzo still makers BRD necessary for the VD avatars and other VD merit fights.