Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » stringing pummel
stringing pummel
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-05-29 13:17:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Based on the Attack path for Rigor Baghnakhs and the Manibozho Gear, I guess this would essentially be the ideal Pummel set, if you do a pure STR/Attack build.

ItemSet 302592
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-05-29 13:23:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Based on the Attack path for Rigor Baghnakhs and the Manibozho Gear, I guess this would essentially be the ideal Pummel set, if you do a pure STR/Attack build.

ItemSet 302592

I think mustela still beat those hands, no? Mustela have dex as well. The mani gloves start with no stat mods. And Myrmex mittens should top either option.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-05-29 13:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't forgotten about the DEX from Cirque at all, considering the Manibozho gear gets quite a bit of acc/dex on the various pieces to make up for it. While it's true that STR/Attack typically plays a bigger role than VIT in a STR/VIT modded ws, it doesn't mean that the VIT Mod, especially at 32%, should be completely ignored. Again, I've chosen only 2 vit pieces - Thaumas Gloves, and Thurandaut Boots for the time being, because they offer VIT+22 combined, DEX+8 and accuracy+9.

I've discussed this thoroughly with someone much better at mathing this out than I am - Kelhor of Bismarck, before he left EquilibriumHNMLS. His suggestion was Soil Belt and Gorget over prosilio when I asked about it.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-05-29 13:27:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, unfortunately No one on Bismarck does Provenance Watcher or the petrifact fights, so the Mani gloves would be my best option.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-29 13:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't it the same whether you add the same amount to one addend or the other?
 Ragnarok.Grimkitty
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Grimkitty 2013-05-29 13:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I would think that Mustela Gloves would beat Manibozho Hands for Pummel. If you were playing RNG, those Gloves would be augmented with ranged augments rather than STR. Mustela Gloves also have DA/DEX on them which would make them just a little bit better than Manibozho Gloves, even if they are Rank 15.

Added note, Myrmex Mitts are the top hands for Pummel although that are similar to Mustela Gloves, with the addition of some extra accuracy, but replaces that DA with +10 Attack.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-29 13:39:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Problem with myrmex is...who even does Provenance anymore? :|
 Lakshmi.Jimmothy
Guildwork Premium
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Jimmothy 2013-05-29 13:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »
Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Even if I am missing at least 50 attack from using VIT in those slots currently, since we've only recently begun to re-evaluate how Stringing Pummels works through various pup threads since Seekers of Adoulin came out, missing a huge part of a modifier, for which pup is starved on both, more so with VIT than STR/Attack, to me it made sense to cover the VIT mod partially. I originally had a pure STR/Attack set for pummel, but it didn't do quite as well without the other mod in the mix.
I'm not sure testing is needed to see that the vit mod is mainly moot (again to my understanding) on something like pummel when the str is weighed so much heavier (due to being a mod and helping with attack and such), and you can stack a lot of str in places you can't stack a ton of vit.

Okay so I have a question about how Double Attack effects SP since it's a 6 hit ws, like for example you don't use brutal earring in a ws set for Asuran fists because it's already an 8 hit ws right? DA can only proc on the first two hits of Pummel so it's essentially like turning it into an 8 hit ws, granted of course that all the other hits go off. Which if you're capping acc is a 95% chance for each hit to land so a 70ish% chance that all 6 (65ish% for 8 if DA procs) hits will land (I'm sure my numbers are off I'm just kind of spitballing, I remember seeing somewhere that the acc cap was 95%). My point is, 70% is not an extremely high chance that all hits are going to land. Does that make it all that much more important to have more DA or does itmake it less important due to the need for high acc with the new content? I'm really just curious and would love more information from someone who really knows more about it. I've always jut geared jobs for the mods that the ws's call out for and tried to stick as much att/acc as I could in the mix. Short of single/double hit ws's which I know DA/TA/QA are all great for.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-05-29 13:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Problem with myrmex is...who even does Provenance anymore? :|

Even if peeps did pw would the mfers ever drop is the real question ><;;...
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-05-29 13:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Grimkitty said: »
I would think that Mustela Gloves would beat Manibozho Hands for Pummel. If you were playing RNG, those Gloves would be augmented with ranged augments rather than STR. Mustela Gloves also have DA/DEX on them which would make them just a little bit better than Manibozho Gloves, even if they are Rank 15.

Added note, Myrmex Mitts are the top hands for Pummel although that are similar to Mustela Gloves, with the addition of some extra accuracy, but replaces that DA with +10 Attack.

Primarily the gloves would be used for Ranger for the reasons you listed. Keep in mind though, that at rank 15, these gloves have Att+15 Acc+10 and STR+10. Mustela are Simply STR+10 and DEX+6, which is fine, but as stated, since pup is already attack starved, and in Adoulin Areas, Acc becomes a Necessity, and really increases the chances, or at least caps your chances at landing all 6 hits.

Although DA is nice to have, the return you gain from it with Pummel won't be nearly as high as you would gain from say, Victory Smite, which is a 4 hit, and a 60% STR mod weapon skill. The Accuracy cap is 95% from what's been posted and mathed out in other threads, and for adoulin content, if you go as a pup to any event, chances are you'll be in a DD party with bards and corsairs, due to the fact that pummel is a very strong WS.

DA, and acc, are both fairly important, but that changes depending on what it is you're doing. You want to maximize your WS damage and keep accuracy capped. With all the Accuracy gear out there that pup has access to, it's almost a non-issue. DA is almost the same, because you're already using a 6 hit WS with a 70% chance of landing all 6 hits. Toss in a chance to DA on the first 2, and BAM!

Depending on TP used, each hit has a 15% chance at being a critical hit at 100% TP, 25-30% at 200, and 40-45% at 300.

According to BG, it has an fTP of 0.75, which is probably why it was recommended I use both Soil accessories.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-29 13:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Path A on manibozho hands is a bit silly imo :|
 Lakshmi.Jimmothy
Guildwork Premium
By Lakshmi.Jimmothy 2013-05-29 14:24:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Just based on that then this set should work pretty good for me until I can get the proper upgrades (taking into consideration I don't have brutal or moonshade yet) I'm working on Mani pieces now.

ItemSet 281545
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-05-29 14:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jimmothy said: »
Just based on that then this set should work pretty good for me until I can get the proper upgrades (taking into consideration I don't have brutal or moonshade yet) I'm working on Mani pieces now.

ItemSet 281545

Not sure how doing a 45m event or even spamming it has to do with your mission progress, but you're gonna need sea stuff regardless. Gorget at the least is a pretty solid option for pummel. I would think the corybant pearl would beat kemas or probably even another ghillie+1. If you have thaumas legs, might want to add thaumas feet no? Large attack bonus and some DA in addition to a good dex base.
 Lakshmi.Jimmothy
Guildwork Premium
By Lakshmi.Jimmothy 2013-05-29 14:51:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure how doing a 45m event or even spamming it has to do with your mission progress, but you're gonna need sea stuff regardless. Gorget at the least is a pretty solid option for pummel. I would think the corybant pearl would beat kemas or probably even another ghillie+1. If you have thaumas legs, might want to add thaumas feet no? Large attack bonus and some DA in addition to a good dex base.

It has to do with mission progress because I'm lucky to get 2-3 hours a night to play, and most night's it's not a constant 2-3 hours (I get interrupted a lot and have to drop things since i have 3 kids, one of them being 5 weeks old) Like I said before I'm working on that stuff it's just a matter of time. Corybant Earring doesn't look like it would be too much better especially for the pricetag/rarity, it doesn't look liek a real common piece. Thaumas feet might not be a terrible idea but I would be losing 9 str/dex and 12 acc.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-29 14:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

That set looks fine considering the restraints. Maybe Bladeborn+Steelflash in place of those earrings.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-05-29 15:01:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Where did this 'first two' thing come from?
If I recall the WS+Multi-attack testing properly, it lined up statistically with having a chance to multi-attack on every hit of a WS with a cap on two activations.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-05-29 15:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope. You get two chances to activate per WS, not a two activation max.
 Lakshmi.Jimmothy
Guildwork Premium
By Lakshmi.Jimmothy 2013-05-29 15:03:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Where did this 'first two' thing come from? If I recall the WS+Multi-attack testing properly, it lined up statistically with having a chance to multi-attack on every hit of a WS with a cap on two activations.

Oh I must have just worded it wrong, I was on lunch break and was typing fast lol. That's my bad, I think I meant to put that it could proc on any 2 of the hits making it total 8? DA can't compensate for 1 of the hits on the WS missing can it? like if only 5 hits landed could 3 DA procs go off?

EDIT: Nevermind, stupid question after realizing what I read about the cap being 2 activations.
 Lakshmi.Jimmothy
Guildwork Premium
By Lakshmi.Jimmothy 2013-05-29 15:05:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Nope. You get two chances to activate per WS, not a two activation max.

So you're saying it does only have a chance to proc on the first 2? I'm confused now lol.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-05-29 15:20:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think it matters which two are checked.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-05-29 15:23:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said before I'm working on that stuff it's just a matter of time. Corybant Earring doesn't look like it would be too much better especially for the pricetag/rarity, it doesn't look liek a real common piece. Thaumas feet might not be a terrible idea but I would be losing 9 str/dex and 12 acc.

You'd be losing 6 or 7 STR, losing no dex (infact gaining 3) and losing 11 acc, but you gain attack and DA. I'm not sure the loss is as great as you think it is changing feet. I could be wrong on using them, but the loses are not crazy for the gains.
 Lakshmi.Jimmothy
Guildwork Premium
By Lakshmi.Jimmothy 2013-05-29 15:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said before I'm working on that stuff it's just a matter of time. Corybant Earring doesn't look like it would be too much better especially for the pricetag/rarity, it doesn't look liek a real common piece. Thaumas feet might not be a terrible idea but I would be losing 9 str/dex and 12 acc.

You'd be losing 6 or 7 STR, losing no dex (infact gaining 3) and losing 11 acc, but you gain attack and DA. I'm not sure the loss is as great as you think it is changing feet. I could be wrong on using them, but the loses are not crazy for the gains.

Oh freaking dur. I forgot about the set bonus and the other stats. My next NNI is tomorrow. Maybe I'll grab the feet and try it out.

EDIT: With Sole Sushi +1 how much acc would you need in your WS set to cap in delve?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-05-29 20:13:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
I don't think it matters which two are checked.

It only matters for dual wielders, and I'm not sure what the answer is there.